The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 2
- January 09, 2012
IN THE STORE:
THE MINIMAL WAVE TAPES VOL. 2
Release date: February 27, 2012
This is the second volume of The Minimal Wave Tapes series, a collection of rare electronic music compiled from bands around the world, Most of the songs were recorded in the 1980s and originally released on limited edition cassettes or vinyl by the artists themselves, and only a handful of people knew about them. Now they've been remastered from their analog source tapes, brought to you by Veronica Vasicka and Peanut Butter Wolf.
The Minimal Wave musical genre was hallmarked by the use of the analog synths and drum machines manufactured in the 70s and 80s, and characterized by simple music structures made by musicians working in the early D.I.Y. aesthetic: recording on tape in their home studios, creating their own album artwork, and often collaborating via postage mail. The fanzine CLEM (Contact List Of Electronic Musicians) was very influential in creating a worldwide community for this sort of music, before digital technology and the Internet came into play.
Minimal Wave the label was founded in New York City in 2005 by Veronica Vasicka, who focused the label solely on obscure Minimal Wave recordings, researching, re-mastering and releasing them on limited vinyl and digital.
Audio: Philippe Laurent "Distortion" (France, 1984)
Audio: Das Ding “H.S.T.A.” (Netherlands, 1982)
Various Artists - The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 1
Pitchfork, Best New Reissue: The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 1
The Wire, Review: The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 1
1. Hard Corps “Dirty” (UK, 1984)
2. In Trance 95 “Presidente” (Greece, 1988)
3. Philippe Laurent “Distorsion” (France, 1984)
4. Das Ding “H.S.T.A.” (Netherlands, 1982)
5. Subject “What Happened To You?” (Belgium, 1982)
6. Ohama “The Drum” (Canada, 1984)
7. Geneva Jacuzzi “The Sleep Room” (Los Angeles, USA, 2004)
8. Antonym “Cinnamon Air” (UK, 1983)
9. Ruins “Fire” (Italy, 1984)
10. Ende Shneafliet “Animals From Outer Space” (Netherlands, 1981)
11. Felix Kubin “Japan Japan ” (Germany, 1985)
12. Class Info “Out Of Line” (Canada, 1984)
13. In Aeternam Vale “Annie” (France, 1984)
14. Aural Indifference “Theme (Australia, 1981)
Newsfeed July 28, 2015
+ NxWorries US tour with Earl August, September 2015
+ Mild High Club – "Undeniable"
+ Dam-Funk – We Continue (video)
+ Jesse Hackett - JUNK
+ Knxwledge Australia Tour. Jul-Aug 2015
+ Laraaji – All in One Peace
+ Stones Throw 45 Crate
+ Stones Throw Upstairs at the Ace, Downtown L.A. 7/10/15
+ Knxwledge's 50-track Anthology tape
+ Beak backwards and Jonwayne forwards "There's No One" in-studio performance
+ Knxwledge – "Flyinglizrds"
+ Experimental Half-Hour with Dam-Funk
+ Stones Throw Digital Subscription
+ Anderson.Paak's VENICE on 2LP vinyl
+ Guilty Simpson – "Vanguard Organization"
+ Funkmosphere the T-shirt
+ Knxwledge 'Hud Dreems' 2/LP
+ Madlib Mind Fusion African Earwax
+ Diva's Divinity in Thee on Circle Star Records, August 2015
+ Vinyl restock: Jaylib, Karriem Riggins, Mayer Hawthorne