Madlib Medicine Show #7: High Jazz
- June 29, 2010
IN THE STORE
MADLIB MEDICINE SHOW #7: HIGH JAZZ
Pre-order for 3LP and CD. Expected release date: July 27.
Update: 3LP now sold out.
Madlib Medicine Show #7: High Jazz is an all-new Madlib jazz production. High Jazz, the name itself a tribute to the landmark jazz-fusion album released by Stanton Davis’s Ghetto Mysticism in 1976, shows a marked development in Madlib’s craft.
Since the introduction of Madlib's Yesterdays New Quintet releases nearly a decade ago, the producer's core group of musicians and collaborators (known collectively as "Yesterdays Universe") has grown by the dozens. The notoriously elusive, publicity-shy and anti-commercial ethic of the group has kept many of the recordings from every being released, while others have been pressed anonymously, kept within the group or distributed only among private collectors.
Among the newly released tracks on High Jazz are a collaboration with extraordinary jazz/hip-hop drummer/producer Karriem Riggins - together they make up Jahari Masamba Unit; the debut of groups Generation Match, The Big Black Foot Band, and RMC, a Madlib, Riggins & James Poyser collab; and a 15-minute live piece by Yesterdays New Quintet (recorded at a secret show in 2000). The 15-track album runs a total of 61 minutes.
Limited edition 3-disc vinyl: Madlib has collected an additional 30 minutes of music for the limited edition vinyl release of High Jazz. These tracks are not available on the CD or digital release. Album covers will be hand screened by Hit+Run with a design by Jeff Jank, and individually numbered. See photos below.
Album track list:
1. The Jackson Conti Band - Steppin’ Into Tomorrow (Prelude)
2. Generation Match - Electronic Dimensions
3. Jahari Massamba Unit - Pretty Eyes
4. The Kenny Cook Octet - High Jazz
5. Yesterdays New Quintet - Medley: Don't You Worry Bout A Thing (Live At Spear for The Moondog)
7. The Big Black Foot Band, feat. The Black Spirits - Reality or Dream
8. Russell Jenkins Jazz Express - Drunk Again
9. Poyser, Riggins & Jackson - Funky Butt, Part 1 (MP3)
10. Jahari Massamba Unit - Wonderin'/Nightime
11. R.M.C. - Space & Time
12. Yesterdays New Quintet - Conquistador
13. The Big Black Foot Band, feat. The Black Spirits - Tarzan's Theme
15. Joe McDuphrey Experience - Kimo
Bonus LP track list:
1. Jahari Masamba Unit - Falling
2. Yesterdays New Quintet - Runnin’ Fast (On The Runs)
3. Sound Directions, feat. Malcolm Catto - Shady Cops
4. The Eddie Prince Fusion Band - The Struggle Is Over/Next Chapter
5. O.D. - Wasted (Themes Variations)
Poyser, Riggins, Jackson - Funky Butt (MP3)
Newsfeed September 29, 2016
+ Mild High Club – Kokopelli Video animated and directed by Pierce McGarry
+ Homeboy Sandman – “Bus (a Rhyme)” new video & track produced by Onra
+ Devonwho – CRUISE CONTROL Zackey Force Funk and I, Ced join Devonwho on a track from his forthcoming album on Leaving Records
+ NxWorries – Anderson.Paak & Knxwledge – to release YES LAWD! on October 21 Listen to the single "Lyk Dis"
+ Stones Throw Superfest - November 5
+ Mndsgn – Wherever U R
+ I need a shirt freak. Egyptian Lover designed T-shirts for your freaky self
+ Fab 5 Freddy with Vex Ruffin on “The Balance”
+ Surface to Air Missive – A V Second album coming in November on Leaving Records.
+ Mndsgn – “Use Ya Mnd (Twentyfourseven)”
+ Stones Throw Records: THE POSTER
+ In the dungeon: Deantoni Parks
+ Now on vinyl: Swarvy – Elderberry – Leaving Records
+ Australia & New Zealand Tour: PB Wolf, Egyptian Lover, J Rocc, Mndsgn
+ Mild High Club – Skiptracing
+ Stones Throw Podcast 97: Eric Andre & Peanut Butter Wolf
+ Stones Throw Podcast 96: A Mix by Jimi Hey
+ The name is EOLA, the album is DANG. Leaving Records
+ VHVL's album Evn on Leaving Records
+ Stones Throw by the Pool at the Line Hotel RSVP for Satuday, August 20