• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

I think we have hinted on this in a few forums. But I want to just ask point blank....

Was Guru leaving Premo the dumbest move of his career?

I heard he left because he thought Premo's sound was stale and that he couldn't make another gold or big selling album with Premo behind the boards.

If you check his site, he says he has all these big plans and this new cat he fucks with is gonna make him blow up.....

...anyone heard Guru blow up or do much of anything since he left the king of vintage SP-1200 beats?

I'm going to go with dumbest move ever. He should have realized that they, most likely, will never blow the fuck up again without sacrificing their sound. HOWEVER, they could have enjoyed huge success on an indie label of their creation and the backing of devout hip-hop fans....

So, whats up? Dumbest move of his career, or am I missing out on somthing?

#2 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

I'm gonna say dumbest move ever. That album he did w/out Premo was complete garbage. Guru needs to take a lesson from Masta Ace and stay indie/underground where they belong.

I happen to be one of those who still loves Premier's signature sound, anything else just wouldn't be him. That shit he did for the Big Shug album was some of the best beats he's done in a long time.

Final Thought: The temptation of monetary success is just too great for some.

#3 andt88

andt88

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

i did not even know they split up forever. definitely a wrong move, especially when he did it only because of the money, as premo is now christina's boyfriend.

#4 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, there will always be respect for Premo's beats. And, he still evolves as a producer. Just follow his shit from the first Gangstarr Album up to the stuff he puts out now.

One of the reasons I think it was such a stupid move is because Guru isn't great on the mic. He has a forced flow, a boring tone and his subject matter is the same everytime. Granted, there are some great lines that he's writeen, but the shit he puts out now is so ignorant. And, now that he dosen't have Premo gems to spit over, his weak flow is that much more exposed for what it is...weak and boring.

#5 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

since he left the king of vintage SP-1200 beats?

primo = mpc 60 and s950

guru was and is wack,as ive mentioned in another thread only reason i EVER listend to gangstarr was cos of primo

#6 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

primo = mpc 60 and s950

...hmm, thatís interesting, considering, when I was a teacher's assistant at SCRATCH DJ Academy in NYC, Premo taught a class and brought in an EMU SP-1200 with him....don't get me wrong I realize he currently uses mpc 60 and s950, however, dude has a healthy collection of work created with the sp-1200 and before that, the sp12.

And, since it seems your are trying to be technical, I think that it's PREMO not PRIMO. PRIMO is some dirty south DJ or something.

(enter smug smilie with a wink here)

Lastly, I am still trying to find the part in your post that actually addresses the original question....

...whatever happened to peace?......PEACE (echo, echo, echo)

#7 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

...hmm, thatís interesting, considering, when I was a teacher's assistant at SCRATCH DJ Academy in NYC, Premo taught a class and brought in an EMU SP-1200 with him....don't get me wrong I realize he currently uses mpc 60 and s950, however, dude has a healthy collection of work created with the sp-1200 and before that, the sp12.

And, since it seems your are trying to be technical, I think that it's PREMO not PRIMO. PRIMO is some dirty south DJ or something.

(enter smug smilie with a wink here)

Lastly, I am still trying to find the part in your post that actually addresses the original question. All I see is some incorrect technical whining, misspellings of an icon's handle and an opinion that you have already thrown out there....
...whatever happened to peace?......PEACE (echo, echo, echo)

your a bit of a funny fella arent you? weeeeellll i read primo made all his early stuff on an mpc 60(in an interview with hip hop connection magazine)and in the book behind the beat it features said set up

as for the spelling who really gives a fuck?? ive seen it spelt both premo and primo

do i care about any of this? no im off out on a date in an hour while you all have fun arguing over spelling

peace (echo,meh,blaaah)

p.s as for adressing the original point i dont want to,its boring fuck guru

#8 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

as for the spelling who really gives a fuck?? ive seen it spelt both premo and primo

no im off out on a date in an hour while you all have fun arguing over spelling

p.s as for adressing the original point i dont want to,its boring fuck guru

Date? Fella? What are you, like 65?

My bad Shakey. Didn't mean to get you all worked up. I only brought up the spelling because you seem to be a pretty technical guy (hence the correction on the sp-1200 by you, despite the fact that it had little to do with the purpose of the post).

About your date...I think it's pretty funny that you made a point to bring up the fact that you are going on a date...and because of the fact you made a point to bring it up, I find it hard to believe.

But when you get done with that "date" (brokeback) can you put the rest of that hip-hop video list/link up?

Now I'm off to do somthing really cool in an hour.

#9 Sanka

Sanka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Folding clothes.

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:39 PM

Oooooh, I love some e-beef.

I never really thought Guru was that talented but he had some jams, no doubt. The last couple of songs I heard from him were staight up garbage. I know he definitely fell off but I'm unsure of when and why. Then I heard this story about him (that's too long to type) that made me lose any of the remaining respect I had for him. I think he's done, but I don't think he knows it.

#10 evoke

evoke

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

I get the feeling that alot of cats on this bord are producers or care most for production and the beat. And yeah premo is the king, always has been, in my opinion. But dont hate that hard on guru, man. He has delivered rhymes that i have felt too the bone for years.. He might have fucked things up a little with leaving premo, but dont forget what he has done in the past...

#11 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

And yeah premo is the king, always has been, in my opinion. But dont hate that hard on guru, man. He has delivered rhymes that i have felt too the bone for years.. He might have fucked things up a little with leaving premo, but dont forget what he has done in the past...

I cosign, Guru 7.0 sucked though.

#12 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

The nickname "Premo" obviously comes from a shortening of Premier, hence the spelling if you want to really get technical about it. I'm sure if people came on here and typed Maddleb or Quazymodo there would be several corrections posted so...

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

But when you get done with that "date" (brokeback) can you put the rest of that hip-hop video list/link up?

Now I'm off to do somthing really cool in an hour.

hmm internet sarcasm rarely works,no i wasnt trying to be 'cool' i was actually on a 'date' and didnt have time to get deep about guru(end of story i dont like him)

brokeback? im gay? B)

no im not 65 im nearly 30 we say stuff like date,fella,slappers,mingers,bollocks,wank here in england its how we do

which video list/link are you talking about? the youtube one? i just copied and pasted it i think its from vibe/vice magazines website or sumthin not sure?

#14 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

I get the feeling that alot of cats on this bord are producers or care most for production and the beat. And yeah premo is the king, always has been, in my opinion. But dont hate that hard on guru, man. He has delivered rhymes that i have felt too the bone for years.. He might have fucked things up a little with leaving premo, but dont forget what he has done in the past...

yeah,beats are what usually hooks me into a song...with the exception of MCs who can make something happen. and i think guru and premo going seperate ways was a big mistake for guru, i mean guru became well known because of gangstarr. so now its just spaghetti without the sauce.

#15 jaylib06

jaylib06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, I agree as well that guru should've stayed with PRIMO. I haven't heard Guru's solo LP, but honestly, i could care less since it wasn't an official GANGSTARR release. DJ PREMIRE can still create FIRE beats, and guru can carry his own weight as well, but we all make mistakes, hopefully 'Gangstarr heads' can expect another "MOMENT OF TRUTH" in the near future... :P

#16 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

How can you hate on the guru? He's getting jaded or whatever but Daily Operation, Hard to Earn, Moment of Truth, all dope and not just because of Premier.

#17 4% earf bodee X

4% earf bodee X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

no but it was jeru's

#18 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

Yep

correction: guru leaving primo was the biggest help to primo's career!

Yep

#19 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

no but it was jeru's

You just blew my mind...please explain.

brokeback? im gay? :unsure:

no im not 65 im nearly 30 we say stuff like date,fella,slappers,mingers,bollocks,wank here in england its how we do

which video list/link are you talking about? the youtube one? i just copied and pasted it i think its from vibe/vice magazines website or sumthin not sure?

Get those rolley'eyes outta my face!!! Just kidding. No you are not gay, I was just being childish....it's common behavior for me unfortunately.

And yeah, the list I was talking about was the Youtube on with all the vintage hip-hop vids...it seemed to stop at like M or somthing.

Last, quick question. I can understand that you would hate Guru....but if so, why click into a thread titled "GURU"?

#20 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

You just blew my mind...please explain.

I think he's referring to Jeru's departure from Premier after the Wrath of the Math album, he went on to do some Superheroez album with Ms Jade and then last year's Divine Design. Both featured some weak production.

#21 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

I think he's referring to Jeru's departure from Premier after the Wrath of the Math album, he went on to do some Superheroez album with Ms Jade and then last year's Divine Design. Both featured some weak production.

Oh okay. That makes sense. Got it. Thank you for filling me in.

#22 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

And while we're on the subject, you might as well throw M.O.P. and Krumbsnatcha into the mix as well...

#23 digitalpistol

digitalpistol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

correction: guru leaving primo was the biggest help to primo's career!

haha i do agree guru's rhyme is never sick as premos beats
but i think he is right minded. i really liked the first jazzmatazz

#24 HOSS

HOSS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

Those 6 Primo beats on the new Aguilera album are hot. Some of his best work lately!!! Got the instrumental to the "dedication the fans" track and that shit is definately nice.

#25 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

still dirty is dope

#26 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Music + Culture

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

Ya maybe Guru working with Solar instead of Preem is a bad CAREER move, but probably the best thing for Guru personally. If you read the interview he did with allhiphop.com a few months ago, you would agree. I think it was more about taking care of himself than his career. He and Premo had creatively grown appart years ago, and the brother was basically drinking Henny for breakfast. IF thats the price, then I say FUCK GANGSTARR or Guru and Premo as a group at all. This shit is just hip hop.......lets preserve life and piece of mind first.

And I beg to differ with anyone who thinks Premo's beats consistantly surpassed Guru's flow. Being a lyrical dude myself, I think half of Premo's shits wouldn't have been classics without a bonafide wordsmith (like Guru) holding down the mic. If you disagree then you're basically saying Gangstarr's legacy and following was built on beats alone. Guru is the one who told everyone what Gangstarr was about!!

#27 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

in my mind, primo was Gangstarr,

Guru was nothing compared to Primo in his prime.

#28 BillSteady

BillSteady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Music + Culture

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

in my mind, primo was Gangstarr,

Guru was nothing compared to Primo in his prime.

?

How was Premo alone Gangstarr? Premo doesn't rhyme? An ill beat, is an ill beat. But something brought the millions of follower to the Gangstarr movement other than instrumentals. Guru was a fuckin' monster on everything they dropped until about The Ownerz. Cats need to go put on Hard to Earn and go sit in a corner somewhere!!

#29 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

please bill steady,

i can think of a million MC's I would rather listen to than Guru, but a primo beat? not many producers could touch him in his prime.
Sure guru is alright but I cant listen to that nigga for a whole album.

put it this way, what Im saying is if Gangstarr had its own MVP award?

Primo would win it every fucking year.

#30 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

I like Guru when he sticks to story telling or concious rap, its when he tries to get all bragadocio that I don't like him. His voice just isn't right for that style. I think why everyone is hating on his new album so hard is because he has for some reason or another decided that every song he writes nowadays should completely leave out the two strongest aspects of his style. My favorite album for Guru lyrically is Moment of Truth and on that album he spits some of the hottest verses that I have ever heard. That being said, I think most of the people that are really hating on Guru hard are also closet hating on Premo when they mention Premier in his "prime." Premier never fell off imo. People that say his beats have gotten stale aren't listening, his style has constantly evolved, case in point listen to all the Gangstarr albums, every single album he brings a new fresh style. Even the Ownerz is beatwise fire. Your always able to tell its him because he definitely has a signature sound, thankfully for the listener he lets things around that signature evolve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users