33 replies to this topic

#31 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:45 AM

My favorite album for Guru lyrically is Moment of Truth and on that album he spits some of the hottest verses that I have ever heard.

cosign.

Premier never fell off imo. People that say his beats have gotten stale aren't listening, his style has constantly evolved, case in point listen to all the Gangstarr albums, every single album he brings a new fresh style.

double cosign.

Anyone who says Premier ain't bringing the heat no more needs to pick up that Big Shug album that came out last year.

#32 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,074 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:16 AM

Ya maybe Guru working with Solar instead of Preem is a bad CAREER move, but probably the best thing for Guru personally. If you read the interview he did with allhiphop.com a few months ago, you would agree. I think it was more about taking care of himself than his career. He and Premo had creatively grown appart years ago, and the brother was basically drinking Henny for breakfast........lets preserve life and piece of mind first.

And I beg to differ with anyone who thinks Premo's beats consistantly surpassed Guru's flow. Being a lyrical dude myself, I think half of Premo's shits wouldn't have been classics without a bonafide wordsmith (like Guru) holding down the mic. If you disagree then you're basically saying Gangstarr's legacy and following was built on beats alone. Guru is the one who told everyone what Gangstarr was about!!

No Guru, did his thing, you are completely right. Plus, I feel like Guru was the one who hustled to create Gangstarr to make it the icon it is today. I do get pretty bored of his monotone style as (it seems) a lot of other people in this conversation do too. But, you are right, man....Guru can bring some deep shit. Moment of Truth and handfuls of other classics can back up Guru's handling of the mic.

But.....I don't know about all that Henny for breakfast stuff....to me we can't just assume that is the case because we read it somewhere....I had a chance to meet Premo at Scratch DJ Academy (around one year before Ownerz came out) and I didn't notice him being wasted or anything....but, who knows. If that was the case, I can understand that too.

Which reminds me, did ya'll know they had a philly blunt vending machine in D&D with different flavors and shit? True story...it was pretty damn cool.

If leaving the Gangstarr movment helped Guru personally, then thats great. On his website (this was a while ago, haven't checked it recently) he had said stuff that alluded to the idea that Guru thought Premo was holding him back from blowing the fuck up. And THAT was what I was basing my question off of.

BillSteady....thank you for reminding all of us that Guru has brought some serious heat in the past and IS a very credible MC. And you are right Premo wasn't Gangstarr, nor was Guru....THEY were Gangstarr.

#33 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:54 AM

No Guru, did his thing, you are completely right. Plus, I feel like Guru was the one who hustled to create And you are right Premo wasn't Gangstarr, nor was Guru....THEY were Gangstarr.

True dat, Gangstarr was a yin and yang formula, probably one of the best producer/MC marriages ever in Hip Hop.

I just feel that Premier faired a little better outside the marriage than Guru, ie- Biggy, Nas, Jay-Z, Jeru, M.O.P., Group Home, etc.

#34 shroombudagwa

shroombudagwa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

I like Guru when he sticks to story telling or concious rap, its when he tries to get all bragadocio that I don't like him. His voice just isn't right for that style.

word, his concious raps and storytelling is ill, its just he talks to my shit, to much bravado like you said.

some guys can do that well, he cant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users