#31 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

i would also say madlib has made progress with his rhymes...so hes a canidate.

I always liked Madlib's flow

#32 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:57 AM

It's like El-p lowered the lights, the mood came down, the crowd chatter died down and he told us he was going to play some serious shit, then this one dude is just acting out....

Oh, I got ya'. So, he was making a big deal about the fact that this piece is going to be some seriously personal shit and dude just came out like "BLAHHH! BLAHH! THIS SUCKS! BLAHHH!"?

And then he smacked em'?! Haha!

On the topic of producers who spit as good as they produce....I've always been a fan of puffy's production quality and his lyrical heat....am I right?...am I right?...who's with me?!

#33 ggg

ggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:31 AM

what if peanut butter wolf rhymed??

#34 Klay Doe

Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

[quote name='jaylib06' date='Nov 6 2006, 11:27 PM' post='7167']
-EL-{P} destroys on "Company Flow" Funcrusher Plus, lyrically this is his best album.

I concur.... Alot of emcees rhyme offbeat though (abstract, avant garde)... Some tracks almost require that type of flow. Wildchild is offbeat as fuck. He rhymes like theres no track playing at all. That doesn't mean that an emcee can't rhyme. What matters at the end of the day is that everything in a track fits. Peace Y'all :(

#35 Revo1

Revo1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

I don't limit my taste of emcee styles to 2-bar simile emcees. If it weren't for a berserker Aesop Rock or El-P I doubt I would have ever gotten back into Hip-Hop in my adult hood, because I grew extremely tired of the monotony of cats who always follow the cookie cutter mold of rhyming just right on every beat and recycling the same tired ass lyrical content of every rapper before them on MTV. And if it weren't for Def Jux I would have never tapped into the genius of other Indie rap labels like yours truly, Stones Throw Records.

Furthermore, in my tiny little opinion, when you take and compare the catalogs of cats from Def Jux - Mr. Lif, Aesop Rock, El-P, etc. It's not Mr. Lif who comes out on top in consistency. He's always hit or miss with me - I guess because of his "Dude, Broski!" personality that gets on my nerves sometimes, but he's definitely the most political of the Jukies, which keeps him on my favorites list out of the bunch.

Technically speaking, El came before Aes, so it's Aesop who rhymes like El and not the other way around, but you're right, I have noticed the similarities in the two. It was there before they hooked up and got on the Def Jux thing, so it's just their styles, and it would explain why they clicked as friends so well - both emcees have a style that represents just how emotionally disturbed they are as individuals - or I'm just blowing smoke out of my ass hole as if I know them personally. LOL

I enjoy abstract art, musically and poetically. So you can add me to the list of fans who appreciate the concept of the flow preceding lyrical content. Luckily, Def Jux offers you a bit of both - if you enjoy laymen term rhyme schemes, you may appreciate a Murs or Mr. Lif, or if you enjoy hype b-boy 3000 berserk shit, there is an El-P, Vordul, Aesop Rock, etc., for you. I think Def Jux's biggest hit is Vast Aire for his extremely deep poetical abstract yet oh so simple brilliance in his rhymes. The shit he writes should go in a book to help bring about a new standard for the cannons of literary arts. And lest we forget, the Def Jux secret weapon - C Rayz Walz. He's never off and always on with his music. The kid just can't miss whenever he steps up to the plate and performs.

I heard El and Bigg Jus (and hopefully DJ Mr. Len) were getting back together for another Company Flow album. I hope it gets a Def Jux release. Can't wait. Bigg Jus and El were just made for each other lyrically, man. I've yet to hear the two get on a track and match someone else bar for bar as equal as the two did in their Funcrusher days. It's going to be fucking bananas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users