#1 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Ok good work boys,
there was some good stuff posted and Im glad i chose sample i did as i have wanted to chop that one for days.

anyhoo,

you know the process so voting starts now,
get your asses in gear and let the beat take hold.

sugoisounds
chazakaCH
TKurata
POTENCIA INCISIVE
Josh G
cralias aka calculon md...;::(
Coel73
JINESIS
HoverPeople
ren
SubBass49

if none of your links work or I missed anyone please pm me asap.

thank you very much now lets get to voting.

if anyone can think of a way to help promote this, please do,
the more ears the merrier I always say...

:P

#2 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

JINESIS

Honorable mentions to HooverPeople

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,508 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

ok my vote goes to HooverPeople

with
TKurata coming in close second followed by Coel73

loved all three of these entries i think you did a very good job considering i thought the sample choice was fucking awful

good job lads

#4 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

Thanks shakey for the props and for voting every week....it's appreciated!

Gonna do some massive writeups right now cuz I've got nothing better to do (waiting for cable guy)...

#5 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

well fuck you shakey,
i dindt think it was terrible, as i really liked my beat...
and subsequently the sample it self.

anyhow,
i would like to place my vote to HoverPeople.

I think he did a really interesting job with it.

PS.
I have to go away tonight (as it currently stands, may change but I doubt it)
anyways,
if someone can take over the tallying and register for next week that would be greatly appreciated,
that is if it can wait till tomorrow early afternoon when I can do it.

pm me, post me, whatever.

thanks
ren

#6 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

i wouldn't take it so personally ren.
the song was good but you gotta admit it doesn't have a lot of different parts to work with.
once the drums come in it's pretty much over.

curious to hear what people did this week...will check em out later

#7 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,508 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

well fuck you shakey,

ok

#8 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

dude,
Im scottish,
its not personal.

#9 HoverPeople

HoverPeople

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

Cheers for the votes so far guys!

Mine goes to Josh G

#10 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

i vote ren

#11 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

sugoisounds - nice hard drums as always, i would love to listen to a sugoi mixtape in my ride! lemme get this out upfront, no disrespect to the heads that used um, but I have a slight problem with using those open bells because it was quite the obvious first choice... This beat is nice though, nicely chilled with some deep bass. would sound good with an emcee over it. not a whole lot to it but i know you cranked it out pretty quick so...props.

chazakaCH - you have the disadvantage of coming after sugoi in the rotation, which means I had to reach for the volume knob to hear this. not sure why you opened with a synth in a sample battle...the drums knock pretty damn good, though, and I really like that mellow hat every bar... the electro vox thing is kind of annoying, and the synth bass thing kind of rambles randomly a bit. if you took out the synth and other non-sample stuff i think it would be much better. basically, a little too much of a synth beat for these battles...but it's got a nice sound and I really like the drums. points deducted for use of the bells!

Potencia Incisive - nice kicks...does sound a little muffled, i know you said you didn't eq it...and it kinda shows! oh god...more obvious Kubrick vocal samples!!! -10 points. you are really good at sample arrangement, but again nothing jumps out and grabs me here...and it's over, with another dose of those crazy jack vox samples...eh it's pretty cool bro. points added for no bells....(i think, not listening in headphones, I'm pretty sure it was a guitar in there and not bells...)

Josh G - major label producer in the house! lol...is spacebound ever comin out? haven't heard anything in a while...anyway, it's got that madlib lurch to it that you are kind of known for. chilled out. i don't really know what else to say it's over already...pretty basic beat, but it sounded good to me. could have used a little something else...

cralias - needs some EQ work, I had to reach for the volume again...sounds like you used some of the vox from the samples, which sounds good. whoa that quick pan of left right bongos(?) was way too loud in the mix. I thought something fell over in the kitchen or something! you should have brought that phat bass in earlier, cuz it sounds pretty dope. got that signature cralias stutter to it...like with The Wig Master, I would like to hear a beat from you with more straightforward drum loops, just to show something a little different.

Coel73 - not sure what is the point of the vox samples in the intro...yeah this is nice though! sounds nice and organic...those vox in the beat, are they pitched up from the sample or what? you did a good with the reversed sample chops in there. this beat is just straight up weird, but it sounds pretty dope. would sound great with the right emcee over it.

JINESIS - damn dude i feel like if you don't win one of these soon you are going to go uni-bomber on us or something! got that familiar dark vibe to it. if this beat does anything for me it shows you have some restraint, it's a nice sound. not really feeling the gliding electro thing, feels out of place. I think you pitched down the bells and they almost sound like bass...pretty cool. nice drums as always, this is another dope beat, man. only problem is, i have no idea how you made it...where is the EPK + YouTube video for this week? haha.

HoverPeople - yeah you're going to be a contender with this one...nicely mixed, very clean sound. you used the same section I did for the lead sample. let's overlook the fact that this beat is very dope for a second...i didn't really like that you went all synth for that PHAT bass. also it sounds a little too clean...maybe. i like your webpage. naw man this is def one of the best this week, dope drums and filters. GREAT overall eq and sound quality. Nice work!

ren - you gonna vote this week bro? haha...oh god, bells...is this the sample track or a ren beat? oh wait there are some drums and a little snatch of bass. I feel like I'm watching a Hip Hip Zoo movie with all those ambient bird sounds...lol. this is definitely a quiet city...one of the most sparse beats I've heard in these battles...come on though, you really have been wanting to flip this sample for a while and all you could use were those bells for samples? why not just make a synth beat with synth bells? props for originality of the overall sound, though. this beat is a 180 from last week for sure.

SubBass49 - Mr Bungle, huh. great band from back in the day when Mike Patton used to be cool. their debut album produced by John Zorn is dope....anyway back to your beat...nice bassline...I like that your kicks sound different than usual. As usual, your sound is full and rich. points deducted for use of the bells (just a personal preference everybody). it's a pretty basic beat, but it sounds great on my stereo. I'm listening again...it sounds like the bassline might be slightly out of pitch in some areas. good to have you back, man!

Tough decision between JINESIS and HoverPeople...gonna have to go with JINESIS for that little extra creativity...very, very close, though...you both had some seriously dope sounds this week!

peace-~

#12 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

ren - you gonna vote this week bro? haha...oh god, bells...is this the sample track or a ren beat? oh wait there are some drums and a little snatch of bass. I feel like I'm watching a Hip Hip Zoo movie with all those ambient bird sounds...lol. this is definitely a quiet city...one of the most sparse beats I've heard in these battles...come on though, you really have been wanting to flip this sample for a while and all you could use were those bells for samples? why not just make a synth beat with synth bells? props for originality of the overall sound, though. this beat is a 180 from last week for sure.

peace-~

i did vote....hoverpeople.

=anyways. im not sure what the problem is with the track, i love it.
but yah it may not be a typical track, but thats me, always trying to make shit that is original, isnt that hiphop?

if we all follow the grain what do we have?
Anyways...
it is a 180 so that shows diversity dont it?

anyways, its all good in the hood and I really like my beat actually, but i still wont vote for myself.

<_<

#13 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

HoverPeople
no critique, soz, but thanks for the kind words TK and congrats to sub
Posted Image

#14 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

i did vote....hoverpeople.

=anyways. im not sure what the problem is with the track, i love it.
but yah it may not be a typical track, but thats me, always trying to make shit that is original, isnt that hiphop?

if we all follow the grain what do we have?
Anyways...
it is a 180 so that shows diversity dont it?

anyways, its all good in the hood and I really like my beat actually, but i still wont vote for myself.
<_<

You didn't vote last week, ren, that's why I said that...(edit: i missed it somehow, you did vote, oops.)

Anyway yeah I gave you props for originality, check it. I was juss sayin, it sounded like you only used the bells, and you could have achieved that with any old synth bell...it's all good though, right?

Haha...lol at sugoi's pics...!

#15 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

sugoisounds - LOVE what ya done, right from the start...the snares are like my eardrums are cracking...beautiful work...like the droning bells...kinda lo-fi mixed in the background...nice vibe...the 4th bell in the main progression sounds a little outta place though...

chazakaCH - Not a big fan of the synth at the start...but the kicks are heavy stuff...I like that...like how you brought in the bass all fuzzy...good shit there...strings are cool...nice accent on the beat from 'em...feelin most of the low vocal synth, but when it goes up in pitch is kinda didn't fit...really not digging the brass synth though...a little too synthy...the drop where the beat goes clean for a bit is pretty cool too...like the tempo...this'd make a pretty good freestyle beat...might wanna drop a little reverb on the snares and see how it works out for ya...

TKurata - Like the fluttery drums right off the bat...hyper sound...different take than most of the stuff so far...the "Knight Rider" sound you drop in took me by surprise...but it's good stuff...Just like my main criticism of my own stuff, I feel like it needs more changes...and I know from your past entries that you have less of a problem writing changes than I do...lol...make a good interlude though...

POTENCIA INCISIVE - The reverse is cool...I like the breathing in the background (at least that's what it sounds like)...and the low vocal sound...not too sure about the Shining sample...already heard it in Dilla's Shining tracks, so it almost comes off as pretentious to use it here...not saying that's how you are, but thought you should know...The beat could have easily stood alone without it...

Josh G - Like your clap/snare sound right away...and the low/bassy overall sound of the track is right up my alley...so far would be a great interlude but not really a stand-alone track...like the "shuffle" sound at the transition...

cralias aka calculon md - The glitchy sounds can be either a huge hit or a huge miss...I think you've got it done well with this track...but it starts to get a little repetetive (something I'm guilty of too, so don't take it the wrong way)...I really like the switch-up you pulled though...the one where the kicks come in heavy with very little sample work is the best part...I've noticed a lot of your stuff runs in very short loops...have you experimented with going 16 bars before looping? See what you might end up with?

Coel73 - Interesting start...reminds me of some Alias stuff...at least until the bass kicked in...I really like this one so far...the reverb on the snares is perfect for the vibe of the beat...I think if you played around with some really light "clicky" stuff in the background this'd be an almost perfect track...like the reversed sample work...like the mellow break down...not strict hip-hop but dope nonetheless...

JINESIS - Your tracks aren't playing right now for some reason...I'll come back to your page later and peep 'em before I vote...

HoverPeople - Nice start...reminds me of some asian tribal music from the get go...head-noddin now that the beat kicked in...OHOOOOO SHIIITTTTT...that BASS!!!!!....oh man....hehehe....damn....simple but HEAVY.....love it....nice & spacy backing sounds, but the bass dominates...I'm a big bass fan obviously...when it drops out I really dig the fast-paced drum work in the background too...

ren - Your beat isn't loading either...must be a Myspace thing right now. I'll check back before I vote obviously...

So far I'm leaning for Coel73, but HoverPeople is in there too...but like I said...I'm waiting to hear JINESIS and ren's stuff before I vote...

Oh, and thanks Sugoi! <_<

#16 Coel

Coel

Ludicrous speed...............GO!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Fellas, I won't assess based on my preference because I'll just be saying the same thing over and over, so I'll just regurgitate the first thing that comes to mind as I hear everyone's tracks:

sugoisounds: (setting is from the movie "do the right thing") I bought this girl a rose, walking, walking, walking............ met up with her and she didn't want it.

chazakaCH: I was in church, the preacher was preaching and all of a sudden he got crunk and everybody was doin the holy hip-hop dance with army fatigues on, goin to war with the devil.

TKurata: I saw some circus clowns on their lunch break. They looked funny so I laughed. Well they didn't like that so much and threw a pie in my face, so we all started fighting.

POTENCIA INCISIVE: I was forced to marry this ugly chick, and had to see the one I really wanted walk by my house 5 times a day. Lost my mind etc. etc.............

Josh G: I was getting gas, thinkin about the hard time the teller lady was gonna give me when I got to the bank.

cralias aka calculon md: I have robots that keep up my house, I came home and the place was a mess. I pulled out my manual, fixed em up, and got them back in reasonable working order.

As for me: I was going over some division with Tommy Taylor. I asked him how many hours was equal to 790 minutes, and while he was multiplying up by the # 60, I zoned out. By the time he finished I came back.

JINESIS: (setting from the movie "Blade") I'm at the drop point for a drug exchange goin down in the subway station.

HoverPeople: I met up with some oriental guys that looked a little too traditional to know about western culture, 5mins later they started breakdancing and didn't stop. They made feel like I could do it too.

ren: Uneasy business lunch with the boss; he wouldn't talk back to me and looked weird while he ate.

SubBass49: (Vocal fit the track) DJ screw got a hold of a cartoon I was watching.

I wanna make sure I tell everyone congratulations on some original and tight work!

My vote goes to Hoverpeople, with POTENCIA INCISIVE and JINESIS not far behind with those neck-breaking and brooding drums.

#17 dantelewis

dantelewis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Beats, Sneakers, and Poker

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Jinesis

#18 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:15 AM

retraction-ren, you did vote for LUK last week, my bad.

#19 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

ren: Uneasy business lunch with the boss; he wouldn't talk back to me and looked weird while he ate.

did i look like this?
Posted Image

or like this?
Posted Image

#20 Coel

Coel

Ludicrous speed...............GO!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

You weren't the boss! But I would say he looked like that bottom guy, plus he had a lot of food-n-stuff smeared on his front teeth. Tight track though.

#21 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

sugoisounds- crispy as hell man. a little boring melodically though. i really need that reason mastering suite...

chazakaCH- not bad but a little stiff. more swing might help

TKurata- not really 'hip-hoppy' but fun to listen to

POTENCIA INCISIVE- dark. dark melody. not sure if i like the vocal choices. maybe a little too well-known

Josh G- feeling this one the most right off the bat

cralias- i like the offbeatness, but a little underwhelming melodically. i like how you tried to put some change-ups in though

Coel73- nice twisty vibe. kinda minimalist

JINESIS- nice and dark and dirty. same prob i have with a lot of your stuff though--not really super melodic, which is kinda my soft spot

HoverPeople- pretty cool. i like the drums. something different

ren- not sure what to say. i like it but i don't love it

SubBass49- same as chazaka--a little too stiff for my taste.

tough call this week. nothing really jumped out at me melodically, so i'm going off of professional soundingness. between josh and sugio...
i'll give it to josh. short but good. dope snare too

#22 Friies

Friies

STMB Mayonnaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:music and other stuff

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

SubBass
sounds like movie music

#23 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

SubBass49- same as chazaka--a little too stiff for my taste.

Yeah...when I was making it I noticed that too...but when I tried to swing it a bit, it didn't seem to fit right...but I completely agree that there's somethin' there that's lacking.

sounds like movie music

Gracias!

#24 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

You weren't the boss! But I would say he looked like that bottom guy, plus he had a lot of food-n-stuff smeared on his front teeth. Tight track though.

shpanx.

#25 cralias

cralias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

TKurata

#26 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

TKurata

thanks man, it's my favorite beat in a while...

play it LOUD! lol...

#27 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Reviews of the two that wouldn't work before:

JINESIS - Oh shit...nice one...dark & dirty...I agree that it's not too melodic though...but it works for this beat. Hard to recognize the sample in there...

ren - starts w/ the bells...obvious choice if ya ask me (same reason I used 'em)...like the pace of this beat for some reason...cant imagine someone flowing on it, but it's cool...gets more interesting at around 1:20...but still really simple...I almost found myself expecting some hectic drums to emerge slowly from the background & build the calm vibe into a frenzy...

Hafta say my vote goes to....

Coel73

Runners up to JINESIS & Hoverpeople

#28 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

POTENCIA

#29 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

sugoisounds - nice hard drums as always, i would love to listen to a sugoi mixtape in my ride! lemme get this out upfront, no disrespect to the heads that used um, but I have a slight problem with using those open bells because it was quite the obvious first choice... This beat is nice though, nicely chilled with some deep bass. would sound good with an emcee over it. not a whole lot to it but i know you cranked it out pretty quick so...props.

chazakaCH - you have the disadvantage of coming after sugoi in the rotation, which means I had to reach for the volume knob to hear this. not sure why you opened with a synth in a sample battle...the drums knock pretty damn good, though, and I really like that mellow hat every bar... the electro vox thing is kind of annoying, and the synth bass thing kind of rambles randomly a bit. if you took out the synth and other non-sample stuff i think it would be much better. basically, a little too much of a synth beat for these battles...but it's got a nice sound and I really like the drums. points deducted for use of the bells!

Potencia Incisive - nice kicks...does sound a little muffled, i know you said you didn't eq it...and it kinda shows! oh god...more obvious Kubrick vocal samples!!! -10 points. you are really good at sample arrangement, but again nothing jumps out and grabs me here...and it's over, with another dose of those crazy jack vox samples...eh it's pretty cool bro. points added for no bells....(i think, not listening in headphones, I'm pretty sure it was a guitar in there and not bells...)

Josh G - major label producer in the house! lol...is spacebound ever comin out? haven't heard anything in a while...anyway, it's got that madlib lurch to it that you are kind of known for. chilled out. i don't really know what else to say it's over already...pretty basic beat, but it sounded good to me. could have used a little something else...

cralias - needs some EQ work, I had to reach for the volume again...sounds like you used some of the vox from the samples, which sounds good. whoa that quick pan of left right bongos(?) was way too loud in the mix. I thought something fell over in the kitchen or something! you should have brought that phat bass in earlier, cuz it sounds pretty dope. got that signature cralias stutter to it...like with The Wig Master, I would like to hear a beat from you with more straightforward drum loops, just to show something a little different.

Coel73 - not sure what is the point of the vox samples in the intro...yeah this is nice though! sounds nice and organic...those vox in the beat, are they pitched up from the sample or what? you did a good with the reversed sample chops in there. this beat is just straight up weird, but it sounds pretty dope. would sound great with the right emcee over it.

JINESIS - damn dude i feel like if you don't win one of these soon you are going to go uni-bomber on us or something! got that familiar dark vibe to it. if this beat does anything for me it shows you have some restraint, it's a nice sound. not really feeling the gliding electro thing, feels out of place. I think you pitched down the bells and they almost sound like bass...pretty cool. nice drums as always, this is another dope beat, man. only problem is, i have no idea how you made it...where is the EPK + YouTube video for this week? haha.

HoverPeople - yeah you're going to be a contender with this one...nicely mixed, very clean sound. you used the same section I did for the lead sample. let's overlook the fact that this beat is very dope for a second...i didn't really like that you went all synth for that PHAT bass. also it sounds a little too clean...maybe. i like your webpage. naw man this is def one of the best this week, dope drums and filters. GREAT overall eq and sound quality. Nice work!

SubBass49 - Mr Bungle, huh. great band from back in the day when Mike Patton used to be cool. their debut album produced by John Zorn is dope....anyway back to your beat...nice bassline...I like that your kicks sound different than usual. As usual, your sound is full and rich. points deducted for use of the bells (just a personal preference everybody). it's a pretty basic beat, but it sounds great on my stereo. I'm listening again...it sounds like the bassline might be slightly out of pitch in some areas. good to have you back, man!

Tough decision between JINESIS and HoverPeople...gonna have to go with JINESIS for that little extra creativity...very, very close, though...you both had some seriously dope sounds this week!

peace-~

thanks homie

#30 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

JINESIS

Honorable mentions to HooverPeople