#1 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

Voting is until midnight EST Sat March 8th [or 5am GMT Sun 9th]

Leave your vote and feedback in the thread below, and vote in red and then bold for easier tallying

ANYONE CAN VOTE. Provided you have been around these boards for more than two weeks, you do not have to submit a beat to vote.

If you have been a member for less than 2 weeks you must submit a beat to vote.

Please take the time to leave feedback for each beat. Feedback is not required for voting but is highly appreciated

The winner chooses next week's sample and should post BB#56's sample choice by NOON tomorrow

the contestants are:

JINESIS

t!llman

The Wig Master

funkyfunky*

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Garcia Vega

_Aj

LUK

Good Luck everyone -- and thanks for checking out this week's battle

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

The Wig Master

#3 Garcia Vega

Garcia Vega

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I vote for Tillman That's some smooth shit. Wig Masters was real tight too. Funkyfunky's link didnt work on my comp.

#4 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:15 AM

_AJ...

#5 SertOne

SertOne

culturevulture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

wig master

#6 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:28 AM

Too tired to go into details but
Wig Master no doubt.

#7 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

vega- i like it up until the :13 second mark when it changes up.
aj- wish the drums were harder but nice composition, arrangement & melody

#8 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Jinesis - I thought the hi hats were a bit OTT. Everything that was going on was kind of crazy, like too much crazy. Maybe its on some Free Jazz, New Thing type ish i dunno.

T!illman - Kinda the same in that i think the horns dont always fit the background. None the less, that background was nice, chilled, which made the intro real nice.

Wig - I'm a big fan of you beats anyway, but this shit is nice! It is crazy, and a bit mental, but it really works, and that bass synth is buggin. Love it.

Funkyfunky - I like the way you kept the swing, but i dont think the drums complimented the jazzyness of everything else. The bass and the horns sound real nice though.

POTENCIA INCISIVE - You got a real nice party vibe goin on here i think. NIce and big, drums are good, i like this beat, it's really cool.

Garcia Vega - There was a nice, offset, unquantised quality about the drums, which really works. I just think that it may be a bit repetative though, its good, but needs fleshing out a bit i think,

_Aj - Lovely bit if piano work! It just feels like the drums had less work than the rest, i personally think that they need beefing up.

LUK - I like it cos it goes through parts where it knows it doesn't have to much if you know what i mean. Cool beat.

Anyway my vote has to go to Wig Master

#9 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

JINESIS -- you definitely came very close to turning me off on this beat, as the last thing I wanted to hear was the Mingus that Primo used in "I'm The Man" -- but fuck man, dope is dope and this beat is fucking dope..!! I love the dusty sound of this, though the snare hits a little too loud and clean -- the kick is nasty and the ride is perfect -- the bass cuts you used are fucking dope and I love the piece that comes in around 0:44 & 1:44, you really found some gems in the sample..!! Great work, sir..!!

The Wig Master -- I don't know how you came up with something so funky out of the samples, but you definitely did it..!! on the one hand that's dope because you took the samples and made it your own, but on the other hand I feel you missed out on capturing the feel of the samples which I thought was pretty great (maybe it's a bias of having worked with them). still all in all this beat is an A+ -- the drums are absolutely spot on -- definitely my favorite parts are where I do hear the samples unhindered running throughout -- the juxtaposition is pretty ill. I love the Wu just as much as the next person but all the vocal drops only took away in my opinion (well all except Rza's "word" -- Rza fucking rules..!!)

funkyfunky* -- ok, this is gonna sound bad -- first off pretty much same loop as Primo - that's a no no. the drums are way too clean sounding for the dirty feel of the sample and while I think the off time beat works well with the bass it sounds like a mess with the rides in the background. there is no variety here, pretty much a straight line that just seems to crash at the end. sorry funky..

POTENCIA INCISIVE -- (interested on how TK will feel about vocal samples - haha) -- hell yeah man -- I love how this beat moves..!! the drums hit so fucking hard -- great kick..!! the bass and horn cuts are pretty nice -- the piano drops are brilliant and that shit at 1:20 is sweet..!! drums are very nice man -- the one horn loop maybe used too much (the one at the very end). but overall this is a great beat..!!

Garcia Vega -- your beat is not working again for me -- not sure if anyone else can hear it. maybe you want to get a alternate link up (zshare maybe) so we can check it..

_Aj -- (was the intro always like this..??) -- seriously I cannot stress enough how I love the piano on this beat..!! not sure if you made any modifications to this beat but the snare doesn't seem to be hitting as hard (still seems a little hard -- but I remember it making me flinch last time - haha). bass could be beefier throughout -- the quiet ride sounds too quiet and the loud ride sounds too loud -- I think an overall better mix would really help -- but the beat itself is fantastic..!!

LUK -- your beat isn't working either - same as Garcia...

Garcia Vega and LUK, I am gonna be heading out for the night in about an hour so hopefully you guys could provide another link, otherwise I will have to vote from out of the ones I can hear...sorry

#10 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I vote for POTENCIA INCISIVE

#11 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

I vote for LUK

whats with the angry emoticon?

#12 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

whats with the angry emoticon?

I LIKE TO USE THAT

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

I LIKE TO USE THAT

they need better/more emoticon's

#14 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Potencia incensva

His beats were a plenty on this one and each variation was very interesting.

Most original,
most dope.
imo.

#15 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

till- thanks for the critique. i will tone it down with the rae/ghost stuff. also not really sure what you meant by "not capturing the feel of the samples". maybe because i ran most of them through effects they sounded off. i was trying to make something that wouldn't sound like everyone else's--maybe it was overdone.
btw, the drums are from 2 lee perry songs. and to answer your question from the other thread--if you were talking about those bleeping noises that's just a garageband synth

#16 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

till- thanks for the critique. i will tone it down with the rae/ghost stuff. also not really sure what you meant by "not capturing the feel of the samples". maybe because i ran most of them through effects they sounded off. i was trying to make something that wouldn't sound like everyone else's--maybe it was overdone.
btw, the drums are from 2 lee perry songs. and to answer your question from the other thread--if you were talking about those bleeping noises that's just a garageband synth

just my opinion, don't change it if you feel otherwise -- as far as the feel of the sample statement, it's just that I really liked the tonal qualities of the samples; the hissy, dirty basement vibe was shed in your beat -- and you're right it definitely sounded different from the others -- but I really liked the feel of the samples. instead of using "HSF" off of CD I used the link that TK posted because the warmth of how it sounded. it's not that anything sounded off, everything sounded great and nothing was overdone -- it just shed some of the appeal I found in the samples...

gonna have to vote now...Garcia and Luk your beats still aren't working -- sorry

#17 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

my vote this week goes to JIN -- Wig and _Aj were my other favorites this week..!!

good work boys..!!

I wanna see TK, Matt and Sub back in the battles..!! (hope Marley's doing better..!!) -- what happened to Remus, one beat, one win and out..?? I miss cralias' crazy-ass beats...

#18 LUK

LUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

_Aj

#19 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Potencia incensva

His beats were a plenty on this one and each variation was very interesting.

Most original,
most dope.
imo.

THX for that...At least I got 1 vote...Good enough for me... ;)

Much Respectz to all others who made a track...

Lets keep this on lock...

#20 ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

potencia incisive

#21 Camucamu's mum

Camucamu's mum

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

Garcia Vega....its predictable, but its something worth chilling to. I could play this beat on a Sunday while doing lines.

#22 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

>Garcia Vega....its predictable, but its something worth chilling to. I could play this beat on a Sunday while doing lines.

ANYONE CAN VOTE. Provided you have been around these boards for more than two weeks, you do not have to submit a beat to vote.

If you have been a member for less than 2 weeks you must submit a beat to vote.

are we doing this or not? ;)

#23 chazakaCH

chazakaCH

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:artistic expression.

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

JInesis - sample sounds off beat, drums r tough

Tillman - monotonous, nice snare/snap

Wigmaster - i been listening for about 4 weeks, this is my first week commenting, homie u havent dissapionted me yet i liked damn near all the joints i heard from you. this joint was cool though, nothing crazy. like how you used various parts of the sample & stlll kept it concise. Things didnt sound like 4 beats it was 1 beat 1 thought

potencia - nice intro

AJ GETS MY VOTE.
LOVED HOW HE MADE IT JAZZY/GRITTY HIP HOP WITH THE VARIOUS PIANO SOLOS

ILL BE COMPETING NEXT WEEK LOOK OUT 4 ME. PEACE

#24 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Wig Maestro gets my vote...hot shit! No time to do reviews this week...but damn...some DOPE entries!

#25 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Wig Maestro gets my vote...hot shit! No time to do reviews this week...but damn...some DOPE entries!

LMAO DIDNT YOU SAY THAT LAST WEEK

#26 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

jinesis gets my vote because of all the crazy timing going on in the track.

#27 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

potencia incisive

GETTIN A VOTE FROM SOMEBODY TITLED ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE MAKES ME FEEL VERY SPECIAL.... :mellow:

HONESTLY.

THX FOR THE VOTE...

#28 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

I vote for POTENCIA INCISIVE

huh..?? didn't you vote for LUK earlier..?!?!

#29 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

I vote for Tillman That's some smooth shit. Wig Masters was real tight too. Funkyfunky's link didnt work on my comp.

thanks Garcia -- appreciated..!!

plus I love your name -- the green Vega's are the best for blunt rolling in my opinion - haha..!!

#30 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

>Garcia Vega....its predictable, but its something worth chilling to. I could play this beat on a Sunday while doing lines.

are we doing this or not? :mellow:

well to be honest it's cool with me, plus I don't think it has any impact on this week's winner as I believe you got it this week Wig -- just when I setup this thread I simply copy/pasted the recent voting rules -- if the overall concensious is that this vote shouldn't count then so be it, but again I don't think that it impacts the winner so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users