59 replies to this topic

#1 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

i can do a recount but it looks like i took battle number #54 with 11 or 12 votes. :) many thanks again for the huge voter turnout... :huh: ...and i guess i have JINESIS and P.I. to thank for hustling votes. You guys remind me of the guy with Anti-Bush signs who has been across the street from my apt every night for years trying to get people to vote for Nader...;)

RULES:

1. You can sample one or both of the sample songs, no restrictions.
2. Limited synths, vocals, scratches are ok.
3. Outside drums wide open.
4. SPECIAL TK#55 RULE - vocal samples limited to 10 seconds in length...no minute+ movie clips this round.
5. Submit your beat starting Thursday evening at MIDNIGHT through Friday 1200 Midnight EST
6. Voting begins Saturday morning through Saturday 1200 Midnight EST
7. Competition wide open for newcomers.
8. Special Request from t!llman: don't bite Primo's loop with the Mingus...:)

Ok everybody no excuses this time, I've got tracks from jazz titans Mingus and Coleman...this theme is carried on from an earlier thread somewhere on STMB.

From the heavily guarded TKurata wax vault...lol:

Mingus - Haitian Fight Song - (320kbps - 29mb)
Coleman - excerpts from "Free Jazz" - (320kbps - 22mb)

You guys should have a field day with all the open bass.... I let the Mingus record spin for a few extra seconds so you also have the bass break which leads off "Blue Cee." Probably not much it the way of open drums, but skilled choppers will find ways...plus of course outside drums are very much allowed. Go!

EDIT: Both mp3s above are 320kbps. The Coleman track is pretty heavy at 22mb, and the Mingus is 29mb. For all you space hungry heads out there, here are 128kbps alternate downloads:

Mingus - Haitian Fight Song - (128kbps - 12mb)
Coleman - excerpts from "Free Jazz" - (128kbps - 9mb)

#2 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

i can do a recount but it looks like i took battle number #54 with 11 or 12 votes. :) many thanks again for the huge voter turnout... :mellow: ...and i guess i have JINESIS and P.I. to thank for hustling votes. You guys remind me of the guy with Anti-Bush signs who has been across the street from my apt every night for years trying to get people to vote for Nader...:)

RULES:

4. SPECIAL TK#55 RULE - vocal samples limited to 10 seconds in length...no minute+ movie clips this round.
5. Submit your beat starting Thursday evening at MIDNIGHT through Friday 1200 Midnight EST

Ok everybody no excuses this time, I've got tracks from jazz titans Mingus and Coleman...this theme is carried on from an earlier thread somewhere on STMB.

You guys should have a field day with all the open bass.... I let the Mingus record spin for a few extra seconds so you also have the bass break which leads off "Blue Cee." Probably not much it the way of open drums, but skilled choppers will find ways...plus of course outside drums are very much allowed. Go!

EDIT: Both mp3s above are 320kbps. The Coleman track is pretty heavy at 22mb, and the Mingus is 29mb. For all you space hungry heads out there, here are 128kbps alternate downloads:

haha i have a weird feeling that the "new" rule is somehow directed towards me??????????? lol jk
and if so i feel honored hehe kinda like when iverson came in the league and crossing people up then the next season they imply a carrying over more so then before :lol: :mellow: hehe lol

#3 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

haha just messing
good look on the samples mang !( scarface voice)

#4 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

it wasn't just you--people have been doing that for a while now. i think sub may have kinda started it...

#5 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

I've never really been a fan of long, rambling, random vox samples. Chop that shit up and add some cuts! Sub was more tasteful about it but yeah I didn't care for some of his...

Matt P...wish I could give you full credit but it was P.I.'s plundering of Full Metal Jacket last round that made me do it...lol. I pretty much agree with JIN's assessment of this from last round...

#6 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

I've never really been a fan of long, rambling, random vox samples. Chop that shit up and add some cuts! Sub was more tasteful about it but yeah I didn't care for some of his...

Matt P...wish I could give you full credit but it was P.I.'s stale plundering of Full Metal Jacket last round that made me do it...lol. I pretty much agree with JIN's assessment of this from last round...

naw yeah i know just being stupid as usual
one should not take one self serious ...if more people did that shit would be smooth like c.l !
haha :mellow:

#7 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

i can do a recount but it looks like i took battle number #54 with 11 or 12 votes. :mellow: many thanks again for the huge voter turnout... :mellow: ...and i guess i have JINESIS and P.I. to thank for hustling votes. You guys remind me of the guy with Anti-Bush signs who has been across the street from my apt every night for years trying to get people to vote for Nader...:lol:

RULES:

can we add another rule: don't bite Primo's loop with the Mingus...

#8 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/ajisreal

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

i prolly won't take part in this week.
i aint getting nothing from these samples.
who knows though, i might pull something out my ass like last week.
:wacko:

#9 Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

these are pretty diverse samples. If you listen to that Coleman track, you can hear so many bass lines.

#10 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:MPC 2000 XL + Dirty Vinyl = Heaven

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

dope

i'll put something together

#11 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

ANOTEHER JAZZ SAMPLE SHIT SHIT THAT SHIT LOL ALMOST DONE LMAO...........THE WIGMASTER HAS BEEN PUT ON THE MILKE CARTON LMAO YO TKURATA..........YO POTENCIA

#12 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

Im setting up my new studio environment... :lol:

Posted Image

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

ive just set mine up today
Posted Image

#14 LUK

LUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

Im setting up my new studio environment... :lol:

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

B)

#15 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

B)

U actually wasted ur time to post that... Useless... :lol:

#16 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

ANOTEHER JAZZ SAMPLE SHIT SHIT THAT SHIT LOL ALMOST DONE LMAO...........THE WIGMASTER HAS BEEN PUT ON THE MILKE CARTON LMAO YO TKURATA..........YO POTENCIA

I'm gonna take a stab at translating this one:

darn another Jazz sample, nuts to that. (heh-heh) I am almost finished with my beat. (har-har, chuckle-chuckle)

The Wig Master has been missing from the battles. (laugh-laugh)

Good day, TKurata!

Howdy, Potencia Incisive!

#17 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

U actually wasted ur time to post that... Useless... :lol:

fraggle rock is ill though no?

#18 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

I'm gonna take a stab at translating this one:

darn another Jazz sample, nuts to that. (heh-heh) I am almost finished with my beat. (har-har, chuckle-chuckle)

The Wig Master has been missing from the battles. (laugh-laugh)

Good day, TKurata!

Howdy, Potencia Incisive!

LMAO T!LLMAN VERY GOOD

#19 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

LMAO T!LLMAN VERY GOOD

thank you, though I hope I didn't come off like a dick with that post. I honestly mean no offense...

but I'm with you, sometimes these jazz samples are a tough work -- though I pretty much have the skeleton of my beat done just kinda need to add the touches...hopefully I can find those "touches" in the samples...

#20 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

started something i probably won't have time to finish, anyone wanna go halves on a collab, 8 different loops

i've got no problem with jazz as a sample source at all, but sifting through 20+ mins of audio is time-consuming...

#21 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

these are pretty diverse samples. If you listen to that Coleman track, you can hear so many bass lines.

enough basslines for an entire album...no doubt!

i prolly won't take part in this week.
i aint getting nothing from these samples.

really? there's so much to work with....

LMAO T!LLMAN VERY GOOD

yeah nice translation t!llman...lol...JIN i've got high expectations for you this week, man, if you let me down I'm gonna quit the Jinesis Fan Club and cancel the check for March dues....hey and keep the milk away from the drums!

i've got no problem with jazz as a sample source at all, but sifting through 20+ mins of audio is time-consuming...

yeah my bad, sorry bout that...kind of excessive. i was hoping there would be something for everybody...anyway you shouldn't worry about the whole 20 min just grab what you're feeling and make a beat....looks like you're already halfway there already!

Sorry to those who aren't feeling the samples...honestly I think i know why i have difficulty choosing samples for the battles...i think when i'm going thru records for beats that aren't for the battles, there is so much trial and error involved. i'll hear something that really catches my ear, but a lot of times it doesn't work like i thought...so anyway once you pick the battle samples you can't go back and say "shit, that isn't working, let's try something else" because it's already out there...anyway...

i thought 20 minutes of Mingus and Ornette would cover everyone's bases...damn. i think we'll have some serious heat this week though from all that bassssssssssss.....................

#22 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

this....is going to sound obvious to most, but if you are overlooking--might help...

these samples are recorded with pretty high stereo separation, so you should isolate the left and right separately and see if that helps for better chops...now you have 40 min of material! lol...

#23 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

@TK, not complaining at all

just when there's nothin blanantly to sample, or there is a lot of 'naked' sounds, in this case, bass, i have a no-stone-unturned policy - i want to try every combination to make as good a beat as possible

fuck, you could be posting nautilus for the first time ever and someone would still come with a 'there's nothing in this' comment

for what it's worth i've been having really good fun with these samples, using reason [kit], acid and soundforge [8-track] to record the drums 'live', all at once, instead of sequencing

#24 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/ajisreal

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

you gotta understand man.
i'm not that great of a sampler.
i don't have the patience to sift through a song like that yanno.
i listen for something that grabs me instantly and i didn't hear anything in those tracks.

BUT I digress cause I do have an entry.
I found something on the second listen through at a different pitch.

#25 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

MY BEAT IS DONE THERE IS NO SAMPLE THAT I CANT MANIPULATE.........LMAO
ITS JUST ME AND MY MPC2000XL AND SOMETIMES MY MOTIF RACK
I CANT WAIT TO WHEN BECAUSE THE RULES WILL CHANGE LOL

#26 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

enough basslines for an entire album...no doubt!

yeah nice translation t!llman...lol...JIN i've got high expectations for you this week, man, if you let me down I'm gonna quit the Jinesis Fan Club and cancel the check for March dues....hey and keep the milk away from the drums!

yeah my bad, sorry bout that...kind of excessive. i was hoping there would be something for everybody...anyway you shouldn't worry about the whole 20 min just grab what you're feeling and make a beat....looks like you're already halfway there already!

Sorry to those who aren't feeling the samples...honestly I think i know why i have difficulty choosing samples for the battles...i think when i'm going thru records for beats that aren't for the battles, there is so much trial and error involved. i'll hear something that really catches my ear, but a lot of times it doesn't work like i thought...so anyway once you pick the battle samples you can't go back and say "shit, that isn't working, let's try something else" because it's already out there...anyway...

i thought 20 minutes of Mingus and Ornette would cover everyone's bases...damn. i think we'll have some serious heat this week though from all that bassssssssssss.....................

I WON'T I ALWAYS TRY TO BOUNCE BACK I THINK MINDS SOUND LIKE A BREAK BEAT

#27 LUK

LUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

U actually wasted ur time to post that... Useless... ;)

Take a deep breath... exhale and laugh.

#28 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

you gotta understand man.
i'm not that great of a sampler.
i don't have the patience to sift through a song like that yanno.
i listen for something that grabs me instantly and i didn't hear anything in those tracks.

BUT I digress cause I do have an entry.
I found something on the second listen through at a different pitch.

it's all good man...seems strange that changing the pitch did it for you, but everybody works in different ways.

@TK, not complaining at all

just when there's nothin blanantly to sample, or there is a lot of 'naked' sounds, in this case, bass, i have a no-stone-unturned policy - i want to try every combination to make as good a beat as possible

fuck, you could be posting nautilus for the first time ever and someone would still come with a 'there's nothing in this' comment

for what it's worth i've been having really good fun with these samples, using reason [kit], acid and soundforge [8-track] to record the drums 'live', all at once, instead of sequencing

gotcha. lol @ nautilus comment...so true.

MY BEAT IS DONE THERE IS NO SAMPLE THAT I CANT MANIPULATE.........LMAO
ITS JUST ME AND MY MPC2000XL AND SOMETIMES MY MOTIF RACK
I CANT WAIT TO WHEN BECAUSE THE RULES WILL CHANGE LOL

what rule changes do you have in mind for when you win, Jin? just curious.

#29 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

it's all good man...seems strange that changing the pitch did it for you, but everybody works in different ways.

gotcha. lol @ nautilus comment...so true.

what rule changes do you have in mind for when you win, Jin? just curious.

YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SAMPLE THATS PUT UP, THERE WILL BE NO OUTSIDE GEAR..... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF DUDES ARE REALLY NICE AND HOW CREATIVE THEY CAN BE........

#30 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SAMPLE THATS PUT UP, THERE WILL BE NO OUTSIDE GEAR..... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF DUDES ARE REALLY NICE AND HOW CREATIVE THEY CAN BE........

THOUGHT JINESIS WAS GONNA SAY YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BEAT WITH THESE RULES:

YOU HAVE TO TIE ONE HAND BEHIND UR BACK AND USE ONE FINGER FROM THE FREE HAND
YOU HAVE TO WEAR AND EYE PATCH ON ONE EYE
STAND ON ONE LEG
ALL WHILE BEING STUCK INSIDE A BLACKHOLE SPINNING AT 100MPH..... <_<

BUT YEA, USING NO OUTSIDE GEAR OR SOUNDS AND JUST THE SAMPLE WILL BE KINDA INTERESTING...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users