#1 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:04 AM

Voting is until midnight EST on SATURDAY or 5am GMT sun

Leave your vote and feedback in the thread below, and vote in red and then bold for easier tallying...

ANYONE CAN VOTE...

Please take the time to leave feedback for each beat.

Feedback is not required for voting but is highly appreciated

The winner chooses next week's sample and should post BB#55 sample choice by NOON tomorrow

the contestants are:

DERGILLZ

JINESIS

MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST

POTENCIA INCISIVE

SUBBASS49

TKURATA

AJ

Thx to all who posted and much respectz...

#2 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

man i haven't taken part in the battles in a minute, bit of a shame really since i used to be take part every week.

anyhow, my vote.

my favourites are Aj's & TKurata's, but i gotta go with TKurata

#3 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

thanks for the vote man.

here is a streaming link for my beat...my bad.

STREAMING

...and I'm going back to bed...

#4 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

quick reviews, trying to focus on production values not just if i liked it or not

dergillz - has structure and isn't repetative to listen to. beat/drums are good with a nice relationship with the chops

jin - beat doesn't come in as expected given the timing of the intro loop. sounds like two different bpms competing. second part fits timing better. been doing a lot about different time sigs in an african drumming class i go to and it is an excellent concept to f--k with but don't think it works here

matti - drums/beat is excellent. stopping and starting the beat keeps the listener interested tho done too often might come off random, there's a lot of sections here. very ambient feel overall, perhaps the 'melody' could be more defined

potencia kubrik - rhythm is good [drums], like degillz, works with the rhythm of the samples. good to incorporate random ill-fitting sounds, wu style, but the drum roll didn't work for me and the connection between private piles and scarface didn't build a narrative as well as last week

[this is sounding more up my own arse than intended...]

sub - nice to hear distortion getting used up here, i'd say the beat is the best thing. i like the 'baams!' at the start of each bar

TK - drums are solid. like the background vibe, bass and ? violins. don't like the speech tho'

AJ - beat is ok, main sample u used doesn't do a lot on it's own, kinda just one chord that reverses at the end to provide a rhythmic feel. if that was enough to get my head noddin and think 'this is dope' then that'd be cool. i feel this beat just needs more but u did say it was rushed

TK

#5 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

DERGILLZ- INTRO VOCAL IS GOOD (MACHINE MEN....), SAMPLE IS TOO CHOOPED UP, IT STOPS RIGHT AT THE SNARE... DRUMS HIT HARD BUT NEED DEPTH, TOO HOLLOW... MORE HI HATS WORKING AND SOME EQ WOULD WORK...
6.5/10

JINESIS- THE MINUTE I HEAR THE START, I WAS THINKING WHAT THE FUCK IS JINESIS THINKING, ITS COMPLETLY OFF BEAT.... THEN THE TWISTED HORN SAMPLE DROPS AND IM FEELIN THE BOUNCE.... IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THOSE HORNS CAME FROM? U TWISTED THAT SAMPLE UP GOOD.... REVERSE SAMPLE IS ILL TOO, NIZE AMBIENT EFFECT... U MUST HAVE DROPPED THE PITCH ON THAT KICK BY -50 ON THE MPC....LMAO!!! NIZE ONE THIS WEEK
8.5/10

MATT PRECIZE- INTRO IS SICK... NOT FEELIN THE VOCALS IN IT ALL THE TIME... LIKE TO HEAR MORE OF THE BEAT AND THE SWITCH UPS... AT 1:52 IS WHEN U DROP SOME HARD SAMPLE... IM FEELIN THAT ONE.... ID WANT TO HEAR THIS BEAT AT 1:52 AND BEYOND....
7.0/10

SUBBASS49- SEE U USED THE FIRST SAMPLE I POSTED.... NIZELY DONE.... EVEN THOUGH AS U SAID DOESNT SOUND LIKE HIP HOP.... MORE OF SOME MOVIE SCENE TYPE ISH.... BUT U REALLY FLIPPED THE SAMPLE NIZELY...MAYBE THAT INTRO DISTORTION CAN GO!!!! BUT NIZE WORK....
8/10

TKURATA- NIZE WORK WITH MATT PRECIZE SAMPLE... VERY CLEAN BUT DIRTY AT SAME TIME... WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HEARD ELEMENTS OF ALL SAMPLE SONGS IN THIER...BUT..... NIZE WORK THOUGH...
8/10

AJ- NIZE PIANO HITZ TO GIVE THE REVERSE SAMPLE SOME LIFE.... MAYBE TOO REPETITIVE...NIZE TO USE FOR AN INTERLUDE TRACK...
7/10

VOTE FOR JINESIS-
CAUSE ITS A TRACK THAT STAYS IN UR MIND AND IS ORIGINAL.... ON A RANDOM DAY I WILL HEAR THAT TWISTED HORN SAMPLE IN MY MIND.... THE OTHERS RYTHMS WILL BE FORGOTTEN....

#6 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

quick reviews, trying to focus on production values not just if i liked it or not

dergillz - has structure and isn't repetative to listen to. beat/drums are good with a nice relationship with the chops

jin - beat doesn't come in as expected given the timing of the intro loop. sounds like two different bpms competing. second part fits timing better. been doing a lot about different time sigs in an african drumming class i go to and it is an excellent concept to f--k with but don't think it works here

matti - drums/beat is excellent. stopping and starting the beat keeps the listener interested tho done too often might come off random, there's a lot of sections here. very ambient feel overall, perhaps the 'melody' could be more defined

potencia kubrik - rhythm is good [drums], like degillz, works with the rhythm of the samples. good to incorporate random ill-fitting sounds, wu style, but the drum roll didn't work for me and the connection between private piles and scarface didn't build a narrative as well as last week

[this is sounding more up my own arse than intended...]

sub - nice to hear distortion getting used up here, i'd say the beat is the best thing. i like the 'baams!' at the start of each bar

TK - drums are solid. like the background vibe, bass and ? violins. don't like the speech tho'

AJ - beat is ok, main sample u used doesn't do a lot on it's own, kinda just one chord that reverses at the end to provide a rhythmic feel. if that was enough to get my head noddin and think 'this is dope' then that'd be cool. i feel this beat just needs more but u did say it was rushed

TK

thanks for your comment but you should listen to donuts again and again lmao

#7 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

DERGILLZ- INTRO VOCAL IS GOOD (MACHINE MEN....), SAMPLE IS TOO CHOOPED UP, IT STOPS RIGHT AT THE SNARE... DRUMS HIT HARD BUT NEED DEPTH, TOO HOLLOW... MORE HI HATS WORKING AND SOME EQ WOULD WORK...
6.5/10

JINESIS- THE MINUTE I HEAR THE START, I WAS THINKING WHAT THE FUCK IS JINESIS THINKING, ITS COMPLETLY OFF BEAT.... THEN THE TWISTED HORN SAMPLE DROPS AND IM FEELIN THE BOUNCE.... IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THOSE HORNS CAME FROM? U TWISTED THAT SAMPLE UP GOOD.... REVERSE SAMPLE IS ILL TOO, NIZE AMBIENT EFFECT... U MUST HAVE DROPPED THE PITCH ON THAT KICK BY -50 ON THE MPC....LMAO!!! NIZE ONE THIS WEEK
8.5/10

MATT PRECIZE- INTRO IS SICK... NOT FEELIN THE VOCALS IN IT ALL THE TIME... LIKE TO HEAR MORE OF THE BEAT AND THE SWITCH UPS... AT 1:52 IS WHEN U DROP SOME HARD SAMPLE... IM FEELIN THAT ONE.... ID WANT TO HEAR THIS BEAT AT 1:52 AND BEYOND....
7.0/10

SUBBASS49- SEE U USED THE FIRST SAMPLE I POSTED.... NIZELY DONE.... EVEN THOUGH AS U SAID DOESNT SOUND LIKE HIP HOP.... MORE OF SOME MOVIE SCENE TYPE ISH.... BUT U REALLY FLIPPED THE SAMPLE NIZELY...MAYBE THAT INTRO DISTORTION CAN GO!!!! BUT NIZE WORK....
8/10

TKURATA- NIZE WORK WITH MATT PRECIZE SAMPLE... VERY CLEAN BUT DIRTY AT SAME TIME... WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HEARD ELEMENTS OF ALL SAMPLE SONGS IN THIER...BUT..... NIZE WORK THOUGH...
8/10

AJ- NIZE PIANO HITZ TO GIVE THE REVERSE SAMPLE SOME LIFE.... MAYBE TOO REPETITIVE...NIZE TO USE FOR AN INTERLUDE TRACK...
7/10

VOTE FOR JINESIS-
CAUSE ITS A TRACK THAT STAYS IN UR MIND AND IS ORIGINAL.... ON A RANDOM DAY I WILL HEAR THAT TWISTED HORN SAMPLE IN MY MIND.... THE OTHERS RYTHMS WILL BE FORGOTTEN....

YO ON THE REAL I GOT LOVE MY DUDE AND YOU SAY 14YRS THAT IS SO TRUE

#8 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

YO ON THE REAL I GOT LOVE MY DUDE AND YOU SAY 14YRS THAT IS SO TRUE

so your dude started making beats when he was 10. :)

#9 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

so your dude started making beats when he was 10. :mellow:

U DAMN RIGHT... 10 YEARS OLD I WAS MAKIN TRACKS AND NEVER STOPPED... :)

#10 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

U DAMN RIGHT... 10 YEARS OLD I WAS MAKIN TRACKS AND NEVER STOPPED... :)

good for you. i was making dens in the woods when i was 10.

#11 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

thanks for your comment but you should listen to donuts again and again lmao

why's that?

#12 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

sorry i couldn't finish one this week--pops is in the hospital.
my vote goes to TK though. nice bassline

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

good for you. i was making dens in the woods when i was 10.

hahaha i clocked that myself i was doing normal shit at that age like trying to kiss girls and climbing tree's

but yeah im glad your a veteran

#14 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

no time to give feedback but will when i get a moment
all beats came out dope

MY VOTE IS FOR AJ!

#15 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/ajisreal

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

not gonna go into too much depth with these cause i'm rushing out the door, but i do wanna get my vote in.

dergillz - i don't like the second part when you actually chop the sample up but i guess that's just preference. Overall though not something i'd be a huge fan of. Nice section that you grabbed from that weird sample though, i like the main loop.

jinesis - i don't this at all. it's like you just threw a drum beat on top of a sample not even trying to make it make sense. (not saying that's what you did but that's what i hear.) the second parts are a little better in terms of matching the drum pattern but i don't like that kinda kazoo sound.

matt prec - kind of a simple beat. the first part didn't grab me at all, but the second part had a nice vibe to it. Almost like a floating through the clouds vibe to it. I like the effect you put on the sample.

potencia incisive - the sample kinda sounds like it's lagging. but i do like the lil horn and piano part you throw in when the beat breaks down. all those vocal samples are annoying too, i would've turned it off had this not been a battle. I think you should let the beat rock without all the talking. same shit with matt prec's beat. I like the second beat waaaay better than the first. the first part of it at least, the break down with the "cocaine" vocal sample is kinda off to me.

subbass - the beginning sounded real NES like, i like. the main beat is ok but i dont really like it. i dont know even know why it just sounds boring. i will say you chopped the first sample pretty nice.

tkurata - i don't like the sounds you used for the drums but i like the pattern. it reminds of this pattern i used to love from my old casio keyboard. and i like the bassline. got that nice feel to it.

this was a tough battle, giving the fact that people didn't really like the samples.
i'm gonna go with tkurata

I WANNA THANK EVERYBODY FOR THE FEEDBACK!!
(NOT JUST THIS ONE BUT OVER THE LAST FEW BATTLES I'VE BEEN IN!)
i take everything you guys say into account cause i can see you love music.
i'll probably be back around on monday so if i do happen to win (yeah right) gimme a minute to come back through here.

#16 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

Don't have time to bust out feedback on everyone today...but the homie TKurata KILLED that shit this time around...bassline FTW!

#17 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

sorry i couldn't finish one this week--pops is in the hospital.
my vote goes to TK though. nice bassline

Hope he recovers OK....

Send my best.

#18 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

i vote tkurata

#19 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:MPC 2000 XL + Dirty Vinyl = Heaven

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

JINESIS - the drums threw me off at first but then the joint got real ill. Loved it.

Matticulous - I like the drums and the arrangement, the beat sounds really muffled at times. Kinda made it hard to enjoy

POTENCIA INCISIVE - I like the drums and the chops you chose, but I have to admit i was glad when the audio clips were done. I like the breakdown towards the end when it switched up,that was my favorite part.

Sub - I liked the drums. I'm just not a fan of a beat sounding too busy and this beat was a little busy for me. Just personal opinion

tkurata - I really liked the beat.... EXCEPT for the clap. It was a little much for me, too heavy for that beat if you ask me. Again.. just all a matter of taste. I liked the scratches a lot it gave the beat a lot of flavor.

_Aj - Not sure if i'm feeling the main sound you reversed or not, all I know is that joint got real dope whn the keys came in for a minute. It flowed nice and was easy to listen too.

my vote goes to JINESIS

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. These were some tough samples. Good work though. Peace.

#20 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

vote goes toPOTENCIA INCISIVE

#21 Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

TKurata

#22 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

JINESIS - the drums threw me off at first but then the joint got real ill. Loved it.

Matticulous - I like the drums and the arrangement, the beat sounds really muffled at times. Kinda made it hard to enjoy

POTENCIA INCISIVE - I like the drums and the chops you chose, but I have to admit i was glad when the audio clips were done. I like the breakdown towards the end when it switched up,that was my favorite part.

Sub - I liked the drums. I'm just not a fan of a beat sounding too busy and this beat was a little busy for me. Just personal opinion

tkurata - I really liked the beat.... EXCEPT for the clap. It was a little much for me, too heavy for that beat if you ask me. Again.. just all a matter of taste. I liked the scratches a lot it gave the beat a lot of flavor.

_Aj - Not sure if i'm feeling the main sound you reversed or not, all I know is that joint got real dope whn the keys came in for a minute. It flowed nice and was easy to listen too.

my vote goes to JINESIS

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. These were some tough samples. Good work though. Peace.

THANKS FOR THE VOTE HOMIE

#23 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Beats Teeshirts & MaryJane

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

I wasn't really feelin any of these too much but if you're forcin my hand Jinesis then my votes for TKURATA.....

TK and Jinesis were the best of a bad bunch. the sample was pretty weak, proof that a bad sample always means a wack beat! :P

#24 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

dergillz - i like it, not as much as your last one though. i do like the piano-chopping, and it definitely turns out to be something special as it goes on :D (what could've been better is probably the drums..)

JINESIS - tango-style for real :P .. it sounds real heavy when the drums hit, and i kinda like the off-beat thing with the drums and piano. i don't feel the next part as much, and for some reason the piano-part doesn't sound as good when it comes back again, but the first set sure works for me..

matticulous - like potencia, i kinda like it more when the vocals stop..the track really starts growing on you at the end!

POTENCIA INCISIVE - the vocals can get a bit too much here as well, and i like it better when they stop here too..and it starts getting real nice when the beat comes back after the breakdown!

SubBass - like dergillz said, maybe a little too busy...it's got a sound of it's own though, and it would be cool to hear a slower version of it with little to no drums or something like that B)

TKurata - the drums are nice, but like dergillz again, i could do without the hard clap. loving that bassline though, and all the subtle noise in the background are real moody and nice B)

AJ - i really like it when the melody gets going, but i'm having some issues with the drums...at least the snare. except for that, it's all good though!

damn, this is hard!
it almost seems like they are all very equal in some way..

i think i have to go with TKurata...but it's almost like it could've been anyone :)

#25 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

I wasn't really feelin any of these too much but if you're forcin my hand Jinesis then my votes for TKURATA.....

TK and Jinesis were the best of a bad bunch. the sample was pretty weak, proof that a bad sample always means a wack beat! :P

thanks homie make sure you come back again lmao

#26 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

//EDIT// - my bad i didn't know matt's was merry new year, i peeped STMB53 (which is iller) - sorry, but i'm gonna have to change my vote: AJ followed by Subs

MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST

followed by AJ

#27 Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*

Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

TKURATA

#28 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

TK and Jinesis were the best of a bad bunch. the sample was pretty weak, proof that a bad sample always means a wack beat! ^_^

eh Jin i guess this qualifies as a comeback week for us...:) thanks for stoppin by White and Patch and others that don't vote so often...appreciated. i still dont think this battle proves anything about sample selection though...obviously the first two samples from POT INCE (aka the amazing 10 year old sp fiend) were no good, let's not go into "why" again, cept you can't let those two samples prove your argument because they are immediately disqualified for obvious reasons... i could have had mine sound much better with another hour or two of work and a better snare/clap, but i didn't use the midi tracks at all....

don't matter....i'm getting ready do some reviews and vote.

sorry to hear about your dad, wigs, that sucks. he'll be fine.

#29 SertOne

SertOne

culturevulture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

why the fuck did i get a pm to tell me to vote, what the fuck.

#30 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

dergillz - i like the chopping alot. you did a pretty good good with the sample...that crowd noise kind of works...maybe once or twice only though. drums are heavy and nicely chopped. good shit. not wack.

JINESIS - this beat is insane! whoa... i like the counter rhythm but i feel like it's mixed in a liitte too high. i like the second part where you took a midi sample i'm guessing and made it sound pretty dope with that stretchin. that kick is madness. i'd like to hear this is my car in the red. def not wack.

Matt P - my first thought is that you are relying to much on vox....the drum pattern is pretty cool. does sound a tad muffled. this is nice and organic, keeps changing...nice. second part...sounds like a spy theme almost. I like it, though you should eq this for sure...this third or fourth beat, the house thing...lol. i think you should have ended...ok maybe not the last part is pretty cool. is that the same as the first part?that was more like five beats there! ^_^ not wack.

Pot Inci - uh full metal jacket samples...so played out man. no offense. i've been out of high school too long maybe! the beat sounds pretty heavy...can't hear it too well over the drill sergeant. sounds like a nice melody goin on. you did a pretty good job with the sample...although maybe it needs to be eq'd a little. sounds like you had to filter the sample alot to get a good sound, maybe. not wack.

SubBass - lovin the intro...nice distorted samples...i'm thinking i know why you distorted everything. shit sounds pretty crazy! def sounds like an 8 bit video game remix. it's good to hear your sound again. i think the samples are too high in the mix...the drums are a little out of focus. not wack.

_Aj - beginning sounds like the player was skipping. i like the drums, although a little velocity variety might have helped. i really like the sound of this beat, although I feel like the keys part needed a counter melody or something, a little robotic or one-finger-piano-player feeling. damn i just want to quickly say the next beat sentimental journey sounds great, but you need to stick some of that fat bassline into the right channel! - ok back to the battle beat - wish it were longer. the backwards background stuff seems to work pretty damn well although i would have liked to have heard a change in that every 4 or so. nice cohesive sound! not wack.

Pretty easy choice for me, Master JINESIS made me stand up when I heard some of that nasty counter beat go lockstep with the samples...dope!!!! that elephant sounding horn...I tried doing a similar thing a few weeks ago and you showed me how it's done right.

whoa even more voters! lovin all the votes from old-timers on the board, much respect!! and thanks for all the votes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users