sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Voting is until midnight EST on sat 23rd [or 5am GMT sun 24th]

Leave your vote and feedback in the thread below, and vote in red and then bold for easier tallying

ANYONE CAN VOTE. Provided you have been around these boards for more than two weeks, you do not have to submit a beat to vote.

If you have been a member for less than 2 weeks you must submit a beat to vote

Please take the time to leave feedback for each beat. Feedback is not required for voting but is highly appreciated
The winner chooses next week's sample and should post BB#54's sample choice by NOON tomorrow

the contestants are;

AJ
dergillz
t!llman
matticulous precisionist
mchi
sugoisounds
POTENCIA INCISIVE
jinisis
TKurata

please check your link is up there and working

#2 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:40 AM

pc crashed while i was writing reviews. basically

AJ - bass and synth is tight. the part using the samples is fine but doesn't stand out on it's own. some horns sound off pitch. mellow enough
derg - nice 'bumpy' bd & snare. laugh is funny. nice horn stabs. only negative would be it's a little monotone [don't want to say monotonous as that has different connotations]
t!ll - respect for fucking with timing/signatures? beats are fine but not ear-catching for me. the bridge is kinda incongruous for me
matti - this is a chill beat. nice use of wigs sample. Nice K&TG 'summertime' synth. good variation. drums are a little 'straight', could have more 'bump'. this is good but quite long
mchi - intro reminds me of a fucked up pr 'soul survivor' intro. this is like some squarepusher ish. bit abstract for me and really short
p.i - this is what i mean by jumping out at you! like the way the beat builds up to the 'story' about the nuclear shit. this is kinda cinematic. muy bueno
JiN - [16 bars] beat. not feelin' it. production wise or technically it's cool...
TK - [one for your..] what's up with the intro? kind of crazy. again tech'lly excellent but nothing i'd ever listen to

don't know how useful this feedback is but it's what i thought

PosInt

derg and matti were close for me

#3 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

TK - [one for your..] what's up with the intro? kind of crazy. again tech'lly excellent but nothing i'd ever listen to

The whole thing's a mess...lol. I'm gonna redux some of it real quick...

EDIT: I tightened it up a bit...hopefully it sounds better. I'll be back later with a vote and some feed...

#4 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:43 AM

Posted Image

I totally passed out before working on the drums in the middle...

t!ll - respect for fucking with timing/signatures? beats are fine but not ear-catching for me. the bridge is kinda incongruous for me

thanks -- yeah the bridge is supposed to be a bit of a departure but came out more off-putting than I wanted, still somehow I feel if the drums were better in there it would make it somewhat better (maybe not-haha) -- not moaning or groaning or anything -- I just didn't execute some things in this beat too well...

I found your thoughts to be good -- I like the no-nonsense take on the beats, you shoot straight but still come off cool about shit -- thanks..!!

#5 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

AJ- BASS IS HITTING HARD.... DRUMS ARE STRONG....MAYBE SOME MORE HI HATS WOULD HELP THE FLOW...
SAMPLE USAGE IS NICE...MAYBE U COULD HAVE BROUGHT IN THE BASS EARLIER AT 16 BARS RATHER THAN 32....
CHILLZ BEATS.... I NEED TO FORMULATE BASS LIKE THAT... 8/10

DERGILLZ- SNARE IS KITTIN HARD.... THATS A 10 SNARE.... LAUGHING SAMPLES AND GOD OLE DAYS CLIPS MAKE IT...
IM REALLY FEELIN THE SHAKERS...MAYBE BETTER BREAKDOWNS COULD BE USED.... 8/10

T!LLMAN- WTF WAS GOING ON IN UR MIND WHEN U MADE THIS.... DARK FOREST NITE VIBE TO ME....
SCRATCH BREAKDOWN AND JAZZ SAMPLES IS ILL AS FUCK!!!!! DEFINATLY A NICE BREAKDOWN....
YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST ENDED IT, INSTEAD OF BRINGING THE FIRST BEAT BACK IN... 9/10 :P

MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST- UR NAME IS A PAIN IN THE AZZ TO SPELL...!!! LMAO!!!! THIS IS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT...I LIKE THIS VIBE.... NICE SAMPLE USAGE AND AMBIENT FLOWIN PADS, NICE WORK... NUFF SAID....
9.5/10 :unsure:

MCHI- SAMPLE IS TOO LOUD, DRUMS NEED TO OVERCOME THAT.... MORE HI HATS NEEDED... WTF WERE U THINKIN WHEN U MADE THIS.... I LIKE THE ABSTRACT TOUCH OF VOCALS U GIVE IT... 7/10

SUGIOSOUNDS- INTRO IS SICK!!!!!! AGAIN I NEED TO JACK YOU FOR UR BASS.... IF I KNEW WHERE U LIVED I WOULD STEAL ALL THAT SHIT!!!!! LMAO.... SICK TRACK!!!! 9/10

JINESIS- IM FEELIN THIS ONE ALOT, CALL ME CRAZY BUT THATS ME... AS I SAID ITS ON SUM OLD WESTERN DARK NITE MASKED COWBOYS RACING A TRAIN AT 100 MPH SMOKIN ON SUM TREES... DRUMS COULD HAVE BEEN HARDER, BUT I KNO UR STYLE... 9/10

TKURATA- TO HAPPY INTRO FOR ME... NOT FEELIN IT... TO FAST... FEELS LIKE CHRISTMAS TO ME... ;( HONEST OPINION.... 3/10 I KNO U CAN DO BETTER...... :( BY THE WAY THE "BACKSTABBER" BEAT ON UR PLAYER IS SICK!!!! 100% (EVIL AND DARK)

POTENCIA INCISIVE- THIS GUY IS LOONEY TUNES.... DR. EMMIT BROWN....... LMAO!!!!!! 0/10

MUCH RESPECTZ TO ALL PRODUCERS....

MATT PRECISE TAKES MY VOTE....

#6 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/ajisreal

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

dergillz - i like the hi-hats & shakers in your pattern. that open before the 1 comes swinging back around gives it a nice feeling. overall a decent beat, there's nothing particularly wrong with it from what i'm hearing just doesn't grab my attention and hold it. The vibes are a nice touch too. (same shit i said in the other thread.)

t!llman - I like the hi hat patterns on here. And the sample is nice and "haunting" as the name would suggest. I think another sound would've been suitable other than the picked guitar (or is that a bass?) WOAH. that switch up caught me so off-guard. I like how you tried to do something different. I don't think anybody's gonna match WOAH factor like you did, but i'm not sure if i'm entirely feeling it. Overall it sounds like just another beat that i'd hear somewhere and wouldn't pass over but wouldn't pick it out of the crowd.

matticulous precisionist - soon as the drums hit it's an instant head nod. loving the smooth vibe, almost reminds me of some Tycho or Alias & Ehren. I like the high synth you got in there. it's a nice touch. kudos. overall nice chill beat. diggin it much. good work here.

mchi - intro is great. it gives that disorienting feeling than the drums bring it on home. I'm not liking that Hi Hat/Cymbal thing you got going it sounds a bit tinny while the rest of the track sounds more organic. I like that little jazz drum break you got in the background. Woah that's it? too short. I would've liked to see you build more on that.

sugoisounds - first thing that catches me is the static. it's kinda annoying but i can dig it. it feels vintage like that. that laugh was a nice touch. i like vibes that come in in the background. sounds like something from scooby doo lol. other than that nothing strikes me. just another beat like t!ll.

p.i. - i like the hits you got on the kick. the beat sounds like something El-P would ride. i wish there would've been a more dynamic snare sound. I like how you incorporated alot of the sample. that shit is what's catching me. i like the vocal samples too, "Something with a little more kick!!". this is one of those beats that if somebody with a nice flow was rapping on top of it it'd be an instant classic. but without that it feels almost like it's lacking? i don't wanna say lacking but you know empty.

jinesis - this feels kinda off. like i know where the 1 comes in at but it's like weird. like i'm bopping cause i think i can see where you were trying to go but i'm not feeling this one.

TKurata - almost had the down south feel when it first came in until the breakbeat on the top. i like the switch up with the drums. almost had that old school 80's hair metal band feel. i don't like the other sample that comes in. it sounds out of place in a beat like this. but the guitar samples are a+.

my vote is for matticulous precisionist

#7 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

anyone else having MySpace problems with AJ and Jin's beat..?? they never start playing for me...

PS: TK, it sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better now..!! the only thing is that one off-pitch bass note (at least I think that's what it is -- it can be heard right as the MySpace player clock rolls over to 00:02 -- the one at 00:004 seems okay but again right before 00:06 and the whole 00:11 to 00:12...I'm sure you'll hear it/them)

not to sound like a picky asshole, but if you can fix that I would, I think you'd really have something much better than you think you do..!!

#8 chillo

chillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST

#9 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

TKURATA- TO HAPPY INTRO FOR ME... NOT FEELIN IT... TO FAST... FEELS LIKE CHRISTMAS TO ME... ;( HONEST OPINION.... 3/10 I KNO U CAN DO BETTER...... :unsure: BY THE WAY THE "BACKSTABBER" BEAT ON UR PLAYER IS SICK!!!! 100% (EVIL AND DARK)

Yeah you are right, my sample choices are pretty bad..yeah I can do better I'll bump it up next week...lmao @ christmas yeah truth told!

TKurata - almost had the down south feel when it first came in until the breakbeat on the top. i like the switch up with the drums. almost had that old school 80's hair metal band feel. i don't like the other sample that comes in. it sounds out of place in a beat like this. but the guitar samples are a+.

You know yr track is in need of an identity when it reminds heads of "down south," "Christmas," and "old school 80's hair metal band." Damn...that other sample took me a while to pitch correctly with the rest so I threw it in there even though it's disjointed...

PS: TK, it sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better now..!! the only thing is that one off-pitch bass note (at least I think that's what it is -- it can be heard right as the MySpace player clock rolls over to 00:02 -- the one at 00:004 seems okay but again right before 00:06 and the whole 00:11 to 00:12...I'm sure you'll hear it/them)

Damn...thanks man. Those off pitch bass notes are part of the guitar sample in the first bit, so I think they are ok but probably the timestretch fucked up the pitch enuf to sound off..or maybe its the bd I have going on in that part that isn't gelling or something, but yeah it sounds pretty shite. and that other 00:11 to 00:12 bit...I swear it sounds in tune to me! Man I need to clear my head or something...seriously thanks for the in depth analysis...I wish my beat was more worthy....I might redux the whole thing again sometime...but enough about my crappy track I'm gonna write up some feed NOW.

EDIT: t!llman I think you might have to actually click on the track to get _Aj and Jin's beats going...

#10 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

_Aj - some nice bassline work here. nice and mellow. Not really feeling the keys that come in later one. I like the flow of the overlapping samples, it's pretty out there and every now and then sounds a little off pitch. good beat though pretty heavy.

dergillz - one of the samples in this beat sounds like the "CD is done burning in iTunes" sound effect. Drums are good and heavy...ends abruptly. Kind of one note with the samples...would have liked a little more melody. Did anybody else find working with these samples kinds of depressing? yeah good drums here man.

t!llman - this is a really interesting sound...very cinematic! I like that you used those bass notes from...shit one of those samples can't remember already. All the samples blend together very nicely...oh shit nice changeup...I liked it. Really diggin the second part...drums are very loose but I like it...are these "fixed" as you say? You made those vibes work, somehow, in the 2nd part. Some of the drums in this bit do sound a little clipped or somethin, but it sounds ok to me...I actually like to return to the first part. somebody else said this sounds elegant and I agree. I wish my feedback was more constructive, but there isn't much to pick on here! I like those rides and the flute (?) drone sounds great...standout track man.

matt prizz - very mellow intro...feelin it. def smoothed out as advertised...very mellow, shuffling drums...nice, efficient use of samples, I need to learn a lesson from you. points taken away cuz I had to turn up my stereo. :unsure: lots of subtle stuff goin on, is that an outside synth in there? The bassline works good...maybe it's the volume but I would like the drums harder. i always want the drums harder though. great track man. lyrical and effortless. I hope you don't have something dope tucked away at the end cuz I cut it off around 2:45...lol sorry...

mchi - whoa, nice and loud...time to turn the stereo back down! :P haha this reminds me of my beat in that it's kind of a mess....all the samples hodgepodged together...what? over already? lol...definetly experimental...I feel betrayed by it's length though! creative.

sugoisounds - hell yeah man...love the intro...another great beat! the evil laugh works great! I wasn't about to touch those vibes but you did a decent job makin em work. nice drums and bass as usual....especially the drum pattern...again those vibes though, sound like a MS windows alert or something sometimes...sounds kind of rushed but still nice work.

potencia incisive - had to turn up the stereo...but you are right after sugoisounds so I'll let it slide. this beat kinda blew my mind a little the first time I heard it...would have left those vibes out, am I the only one who keeps hearing those vibes sound like "you've got mail" or something? love those horn hits over the kicks...vox samples help tell a story, but I think the music does the job very well also. you did a really good job with the samples...dope!

JINESIS - what up man your beat sounds like it lost a step this week! these samples stumped you a bit like they did me...the drums are interesting but repetitive...the sweeling reversal thing is kind of distracting. what can I say it's not my favorite...hope to hear you back in raw form next week.

TKurata - what a disaster. should have pulled a wigmaster :( and sidestepped this week...messing up my batting average! lol...there is a good beat somewhere in these chops but it sure ain't here...

I gotta say, no disrespect, that these samples kinda sucked to work with. I could have been my frame of mind, I usually don't bitch about samples but out of all three tracks I was still searching for something I really liked. eh... excuses.

My vote goes to t!llman for the complete package. potencia in a close second, but those vibes are what lost you my vote. t!llman your beat was really inventive and colorful, widescreen sound... props!

#11 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

AJ- BEAT IS MORE JERSEY THEN TONY SOPRANO B) LOL DOPE I LIKE!!
DERG ILLZ - IM DIGGING IT , PUT ME IN THAT KUT MASTA KURT ZONE WICH IN MY BOOK IS ALWAYS GOOD! NICE
TILLMAN - FEEL LIKE IM DRESSED IN ALL WHITE SIPPING TEA AND WACTHING A POLO MATCH HAHA :D I LIKE MANG!
ME-HAHA YEAH I KNOW THE NAMES LONG I APOLOGIZE I GOTTA LOT OF FREE TIME ON MY HANDS :( HAHA THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS , AND SORRY FOR THE LENGTH ITS THAT DAMN GREEN SMELLY STUFF ;) HAHA
MCHI- APPROPRIATE FOR THE BONG TOKE JUST NOW THE BEAT TOOK ME THRU SOME SPACED OUT SHIT HAHA THANKS LOL NICE!
SUGIOSOUNDS - DOPE INTRO AND WHEN THOSE KIK BASS DROP I SWEAR I HEAR BUSTA START GRUNTING AND SHIT HAHA :unsure: FRESH !
POTENCIA INCISIVE - HAHA UM YOURS ISNT TO EASY EITHER HAHAHAHAHA JK :D ALL I GOTTA SAY IS " ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGAWATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" WHOOOOO WEEE GREATNESS!
JINISIS(AKA QUENTIN TARRINTINO) :D - WHERES BIG BOI AND ANDRE WHEN U NEED EM THEYD KILL THAT SHIT HAHA FO REALS I LIKE, VERY CASTLEVANIA ISH DOPE!
TKurata- BEFORE THE DRUMS HIT I THOUGHT THE DUDE FROM METALLICA WOULD START SINGING HAHA :D I LIKE IT A LIL HAPPY HAHA JK DOPE !

FOR ME ITS A TOSS BETWEEN AJ AND POTENCIA BOTH ARE WHAT PEOPLE REFER TO AS " MY SHIT YO" :P B)
BUT I THINK IM GOING WITH POTENCIA
AJ BEAT IS DOPE TOO MORE MC FRIENDLY SO TO SAY BUT THE BACK TO THE FUTURE SAMPLE DID IT FOR ME U KNOW THEY FILMED THAT AT WHITTIER HIGH SCHOOL HAHAHA U GOT THAT HOMETOWN LOVE POTENCIA

MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT TO ALL KEEP GOOD MUSIC PUMPING !
NOW THAT I KNOW ABOUT THIS IM SHOOTING TO BE APART VERY WEEK
PEACE
ISOSCOLES TRIANGLE ..OOPS I MEANT
MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST
AKA MATT PRECISE

#12 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

AJ- BEAT IS MORE JERSEY THEN TONY SOPRANO B) LOL DOPE I LIKE!!
DERG ILLZ - IM DIGGING IT , PUT ME IN THAT KUT MASTA KURT ZONE WICH IN MY BOOK IS ALWAYS GOOD! NICE
TILLMAN - FEEL LIKE IM DRESSED IN ALL WHITE SIPPING TEA AND WACTHING A POLO MATCH HAHA :D I LIKE MANG!
ME-HAHA YEAH I KNOW THE NAMES LONG I APOLOGIZE I GOTTA LOT OF FREE TIME ON MY HANDS :( HAHA THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS , AND SORRY FOR THE LENGTH ITS THAT DAMN GREEN SMELLY STUFF ;) HAHA
MCHI- APPROPRIATE FOR THE BONG TOKE JUST NOW THE BEAT TOOK ME THRU SOME SPACED OUT SHIT HAHA THANKS LOL NICE!
SUGIOSOUNDS - DOPE INTRO AND WHEN THOSE KIK BASS DROP I SWEAR I HEAR BUSTA START GRUNTING AND SHIT HAHA :unsure: FRESH !
POTENCIA INCISIVE - HAHA UM YOURS ISNT TO EASY EITHER HAHAHAHAHA JK :D ALL I GOTTA SAY IS " ONE POINT TWENTY ONE JIGGAWATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" WHOOOOO WEEE GREATNESS!
JINISIS(AKA QUENTIN TARRINTINO) :D - WHERES BIG BOI AND ANDRE WHEN U NEED EM THEYD KILL THAT SHIT HAHA FO REALS I LIKE, VERY CASTLEVANIA ISH DOPE!
TKurata- BEFORE THE DRUMS HIT I THOUGHT THE DUDE FROM METALLICA WOULD START SINGING HAHA :D I LIKE IT A LIL HAPPY HAHA JK DOPE !

FOR ME ITS A TOSS BETWEEN AJ AND POTENCIA BOTH ARE WHAT PEOPLE REFER TO AS " MY SHIT YO" :P B)
BUT I THINK IM GOING WITH POTENCIA
AJ BEAT IS DOPE TOO MORE MC FRIENDLY SO TO SAY BUT THE BACK TO THE FUTURE SAMPLE DID IT FOR ME U KNOW THEY FILMED THAT AT WHITTIER HIGH SCHOOL HAHAHA U GOT THAT HOMETOWN LOVE POTENCIA

MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT TO ALL KEEP GOOD MUSIC PUMPING !
NOW THAT I KNOW ABOUT THIS IM SHOOTING TO BE APART VERY WEEK
PEACE
ISOSCOLES TRIANGLE ..OOPS I MEANT
MATTICULOUS PRECISIONIST
AKA MATT PRECISE

I DID THE RED COLOR THING WRONG AS U CAN SEE HAHA

MY VOTE IS
POTENCIA INCISIVE

#13 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

VOTE GOES TO POTENCIA INCISIVE
BE BACK LATER WITH COMMENT YA BE READY WHERE IS WIG MASTER MR I POST A SAMPLE LAST WEEK LOL

#14 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

aj: like i said in the other thread, i like this, especially the bassline. i also said something about the sample+bassline sounding a bit off-key at times but i can't hear that now so i must've been dreaming. if there would be anything to improve it might be chopping the sample differently, to make it "hit" a bit earlier at the end of it...hard to explain, and i don't know if i'm right or wrong;)

dergillz: yeeeeeeah..loving the drums, the swing/rhythm. the "cd burning in itunes"-sounding sample (as tkurata described it :unsure:) sounds a little bit off i think..not sure though.

t!llman: i like how you managed to combine all those samples, not an easy thing to do! too bad the acoustic guitar is one of my least favourite instruments :P the drums are not really to my liking either, but props for the work with the samples!

matticulous: sounds good, but it's almost too smooth..

mchi: not really feeling the drums here...the rest is good, but not all the way..

sugoisounds: heavy as f**k..reminds me of something, not sure what...something by mixmaster mike? some heavy cuts would compliment the vocal samples nicely..

potencia: i love the piece where that snappy bass comes in, and hits at the same time as the kick. the part with the horn-stabs or what they should be called gets a bit repetitive though, but less when the vocal sample is playing..

jinesis: a bit too repetitive, could've used some hotter drums and some punch to the samples! ;)

tkurata: well, like i said earlier, i don't like acoustic guitars often and i really didn't like the one in the genesis-song :( doesn't really help the fact that i don't like songs with fast breakbeats like the one in yours, just not my style...

#15 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Ah, forgot to vote...hmm..

I think I have to go with AJ with dergillz and sugoisounds as the ones who almost got my vote :unsure:

#16 khanedeliac

khanedeliac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

Sorry bout no beat this week, actually like what we did with it but was lazy about getting it off my MPC onto the computer to upload...I dont have the 8 outs so it would have been a crap stereo bounce and that deterred me a lil bit.

I vote Incisive Power

Nice stuff, could have even flipped it a bit further and really been king of the jungle swing but sick moves nonetheless.

#17 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

sorry to those who weren't feeling my sample. (neither was i.) that's why i passed on choosing one, but someone wanted me to post one so i did. i wanted to pick something short and rockish since the others were long and jazzy. i only have 1500 songs on my computer. i have mono. there was an eclipse. my dog ate it...
i'll vote if there's a tie--gonna try to finish a beat tonight

#18 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

_Aj - this beat is simply beautiful, I love it's mood..!! just about everything blends together perfectly some of the horns sound a little off with the rest of the mix, but that's alright as it kinda gives it a jazzy feel and there's one horn loop that really brings it all home for me. perfect amount of little touches running throughout to keep it interesting from start to finish -- as everyone else has mentioned the bass is wonderful, though I am hearing some kind of weird noise on the second runaround of the bassline (like some kind of reverse 'floop-floop-floop' sound -- dunno how to really describe it) which kinda distracts me -- drums can hit a little harder (I am sure that the MySpace player takes some of the piss out of them) and they could have a slight more variety -- in my opinion if you can take out that sound and touch up the drums you would be sitting on an A+.

PS: the little intro is a very nice touch..!!

dergillz - the more I listen to this beat the more I like it -- as I mentioned earlier love the outside vocal samples, really gives the beat some life -- I think the vibes work, not really sure what everyone else is saying about them sounding like iTunes (probably because I really don't use it). I like the drums, very classy hip-hop sounding drums -- high hats and shaker work great here. my main issue with it at this point is that flute is in every loop of the beat, I think if it dropped out a few times, shit even once, it would go along way (maybe do a drop out of the whole beat for a split-second maybe..??) dunno - something to kill the repetitiveness. not the best of the batch this week (sorry), but nice no doubt..!!

matticulous precisionist - you're a very welcome addition to the beat battles in my opinion -- I can't wait for the battles to get into full swing again (Sub and Wig, highly missed this week) -- shit's gonna get intense..!! anyway on to the beat, this is a very nice, chill beat -- love the synth..!! you have a very professional sound, so smooth -- I really love how everything feels together, nothing is forced, everything is natural. the bass is really nice too -- damn, a lot to like about this beat..!! main complaint is with it's length..either a little more action or cut it down some -- snare could be a little fatter, maybe a touch (more) reverb on it too..?? but again, I am sure the MySpace player taking some of the bite out of it. a little too linear and safe, but overall still really nice man..!!

mchi (huh -- why don't I remember having to download your beat when I first listened to it..?!?!) - kinda J-Zone(ish) on that it uses a lot of weird sounds to formulate the beat. damn it's almost over before it ever gets to start..!! it's cool but just seems incomplete, like it's only half a beat -- I guess it could be considered a bit of an interlude beat but why settle..?? if this could go into a more "grounded" change I think it really work great as a juxtaposition to what you have...

sugoisounds - (damn this beat is LOUD) -- I think out of all of the beats this is the one I would REALLY wanna hear an emcee (or group of emcees) spitting over -- in that capacity I think it would be great -- as an instrumental it's pretty cool but lacks a real event as it just kinda hangs there. everything sounds nice -- I like the bass and vibes -- drums are okay, but could be a bit rougher (I do like that light background noise though, helps fill out the sound). yeah, it's cool but just that -- with some vox it could be a great track though..!!

POTENCIA INCISIVE - went 'back in time' with this one -- I like the old(ish) school vibe on this with the hits/stabs. so much to like about this beat - the stepping bassline, the vibes, the flute runs, clarinet etc.. drums are nice, no complaints there -- I really like the other percussion as well (the congos/bongos -- whichever it is) -- I like how the vocal clips work on this, though to be honest I am far from a Back to the Future fan, but it works for the beat. If you took out the vocal clips this could also work well with emcee(s), so that's cool. I really do like it, but I feel like I was more impressed with it the first time I heard it...hmmmm (did that humble you - haha...just kidding)

JINESIS - haha "A.K.A DARKSIDE", no kidding -- again another dark beat, but dark in a different way than some of the last few, which I like. man, I do like it but it's not the strongest I've heard from you -- again another beat that just kinda hangs in it's comfort zone, though it's an interesting comfort zone -- again another beat that could handle someone rhyming over it. unlike POTENCIA's I actually like this more than the first time I heard it, guess I underrated it off the bat -- fuck it, I just did 180 (well not a 180 because I didn't really dislike it at any point) but whatever happened I liked it a lot by the end. not perfect but it knows what it is...nice work..!!

TKurata -

Hell yeah 3 samples! I gonna love this...we should have more 3 way ties!

I gotta say, no disrespect, that these samples kinda sucked to work with.

what happened between those two quotes..?? - haha..!!

I already gave this beat too much attention (haha - just kidding) -- ok, honestly it is a bit of a mess (ultra chaotic, the tamborine which comes in too early for my liking, the off key bassnotes in there) -- but gottdamn there is something about it which I really do like..!! for starters I think all 3 samples are in there which (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) not many did -- also props for using 3 samples which you think sucked, I mean that's some dedication..!! also it seems to be the one beat that really moves -- others chugged along compared to this one, even if I didn't really like something it passes by so quickly it's gone before you can even get a chance to dislike it (is that a bad thing to say..??) also, I just don't even know if I ever heard a beat like this, it's been described a dozen different ways already so why not add one more as it almost has a 'medieval' or 'renaissance fair' sound to it (is that also a bad thing to say..??). this might be the first beat of yours that isn't quite mixed to snuff either, but STILL everything is pretty loud and clear...damn, this little beat is generating a lot of talk, huh (or is it just me saying too much about it..??). not your best by a long shot, but props for sure for originality..!!

(PS: is it just me or is it a little weird that it seems everyone who used Wig's Genesis sample has some kind of a forest picture on their MySpace for their beat..?!?!?! synchronicity..??)

I guess I am going with _Aj, my guts are just telling me to go with this one -- but none of these was a definitive winner for me...which I hope no one takes as an insult, as I liked most a lot -- but there wasn't one that really blew the others out of the water. in the end I just enjoyed the vibe of _Aj's beat the most -- but some pretty nice beats all around this week..!!

Oh, and much thanks to all who left feedback for all the beats and to TK for the vote..!! (though I'm not really sure what drugs you were on that lead you to that decision...haha)

#19 Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

it's a hard choice, there are a bunch of nice beats but none struck me as the clear winner. i'm going with matticulous precisionist... nice smooth sound.

#20 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

T!LLMAN- WTF WAS GOING ON IN UR MIND WHEN U MADE THIS.... DARK FOREST NITE VIBE TO ME....
SCRATCH BREAKDOWN AND JAZZ SAMPLES IS ILL AS FUCK!!!!! DEFINATLY A NICE BREAKDOWN....
YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST ENDED IT, INSTEAD OF BRINGING THE FIRST BEAT BACK IN... 9/10

probably clouds of pot-smoke...I dunno, I didn't write the sample songs or pick them -- those are the one's you should be asking..!! anyway thanks for the kind words, I was totally with you on the not bringing back the first part until I read how TK said he liked the return, boy am I a pushover at times. (haha - I am proud to be one of the few to get a smiley from you)

t!llman - I like the hi hat patterns on here. And the sample is nice and "haunting" as the name would suggest. I think another sound would've been suitable other than the picked guitar (or is that a bass?) WOAH. that switch up caught me so off-guard. I like how you tried to do something different. I don't think anybody's gonna match WOAH factor like you did, but i'm not sure if i'm entirely feeling it. Overall it sounds like just another beat that i'd hear somewhere and wouldn't pass over but wouldn't pick it out of the crowd.

I pretty much feel exactly the same about my beat as you do...

t!llman - this is a really interesting sound...very cinematic! I like that you used those bass notes from...shit one of those samples can't remember already. All the samples blend together very nicely...oh shit nice changeup...I liked it. Really diggin the second part...drums are very loose but I like it...are these "fixed" as you say? You made those vibes work, somehow, in the 2nd part. Some of the drums in this bit do sound a little clipped or somethin, but it sounds ok to me...I actually like to return to the first part. somebody else said this sounds elegant and I agree. I wish my feedback was more constructive, but there isn't much to pick on here! I like those rides and the flute (?) drone sounds great...standout track man.

seriously -- way too kind..!! the "bass" was from that "Cheetah" track, though as someone mentioned, when I pitched the key for the bassline it did take on a muted/plucked guitar sound. nope, the drums have not been spayed or neutered, it's weird half the times I would listen to that run-through I hated it and the other half of the time it would sound pretty okay to me (has that ever happened to any of you..??) again, feel free to re-listen, one could bully this one around no problem..!!

TILLMAN - FEEL LIKE IM DRESSED IN ALL WHITE SIPPING TEA AND WACTHING A POLO MATCH HAHA I LIKE MANG!

how did you know that's what I was going for..?? ha ha -- thanks (I guess..??) haha

t!llman: i like how you managed to combine all those samples, not an easy thing to do! too bad the acoustic guitar is one of my least favourite instruments the drums are not really to my liking either, but props for the work with the samples!

thanks for the honest feedback -- I'm with you on the drums -- I can't believe how I neglected the rimshot on the first/end part -- really sounds pretty shitty, I should fix that up..!!

#21 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

probably clouds of pot-smoke...I dunno, I didn't write the sample songs or pick them -- those are the one's you should be asking..!! anyway thanks for the kind words, I was totally with you on the not bringing back the first part until I read how TK said he liked the return, boy am I a pushover at times. (haha - I am proud to be one of the few to get a smiley from you)

I pretty much feel exactly the same about my beat as you do...

seriously -- way too kind..!! the "bass" was from that "Cheetah" track, though as someone mentioned, when I pitched the key for the bassline it did take on a muted/plucked guitar sound. nope, the drums have not been spayed or neutered, it's weird half the times I would listen to that run-through I hated it and the other half of the time it would sound pretty okay to me (has that ever happened to any of you..??) again, feel free to re-listen, one could bully this one around no problem..!!

how did you know that's what I was going for..?? ha ha -- thanks (I guess..??) haha

naw i mean it a good way ;)

thanks for the honest feedback -- I'm with you on the drums -- I can't believe how I neglected the rimshot on the first/end part -- really sounds pretty shitty, I should fix that up..!!

#22 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

hmmmmm...

ok...

#23 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

_Aj - this beat is simply beautiful, I love it's mood..!! just about everything blends together perfectly some of the horns sound a little off with the rest of the mix, but that's alright as it kinda gives it a jazzy feel and there's one horn loop that really brings it all home for me. perfect amount of little touches running throughout to keep it interesting from start to finish -- as everyone else has mentioned the bass is wonderful, though I am hearing some kind of weird noise on the second runaround of the bassline (like some kind of reverse 'floop-floop-floop' sound -- dunno how to really describe it) which kinda distracts me -- drums can hit a little harder (I am sure that the MySpace player takes some of the piss out of them) and they could have a slight more variety -- in my opinion if you can take out that sound and touch up the drums you would be sitting on an A+.

PS: the little intro is a very nice touch..!!

dergillz - the more I listen to this beat the more I like it -- as I mentioned earlier love the outside vocal samples, really gives the beat some life -- I think the vibes work, not really sure what everyone else is saying about them sounding like iTunes (probably because I really don't use it). I like the drums, very classy hip-hop sounding drums -- high hats and shaker work great here. my main issue with it at this point is that flute is in every loop of the beat, I think if it dropped out a few times, shit even once, it would go along way (maybe do a drop out of the whole beat for a split-second maybe..??) dunno - something to kill the repetitiveness. not the best of the batch this week (sorry), but nice no doubt..!!

matticulous precisionist - you're a very welcome addition to the beat battles in my opinion -- I can't wait for the battles to get into full swing again (Sub and Wig, highly missed this week) -- shit's gonna get intense..!! anyway on to the beat, this is a very nice, chill beat -- love the synth..!! you have a very professional sound, so smooth -- I really love how everything feels together, nothing is forced, everything is natural. the bass is really nice too -- damn, a lot to like about this beat..!! main complaint is with it's length..either a little more action or cut it down some -- snare could be a little fatter, maybe a touch (more) reverb on it too..?? but again, I am sure the MySpace player taking some of the bite out of it. a little too linear and safe, but overall still really nice man..!!

mchi (huh -- why don't I remember having to download your beat when I first listened to it..?!?!) - kinda J-Zone(ish) on that it uses a lot of weird sounds to formulate the beat. damn it's almost over before it ever gets to start..!! it's cool but just seems incomplete, like it's only half a beat -- I guess it could be considered a bit of an interlude beat but why settle..?? if this could go into a more "grounded" change I think it really work great as a juxtaposition to what you have...

sugoisounds - (damn this beat is LOUD) -- I think out of all of the beats this is the one I would REALLY wanna hear an emcee (or group of emcees) spitting over -- in that capacity I think it would be great -- as an instrumental it's pretty cool but lacks a real event as it just kinda hangs there. everything sounds nice -- I like the bass and vibes -- drums are okay, but could be a bit rougher (I do like that light background noise though, helps fill out the sound). yeah, it's cool but just that -- with some vox it could be a great track though..!!

POTENCIA INCISIVE - went 'back in time' with this one -- I like the old(ish) school vibe on this with the hits/stabs. so much to like about this beat - the stepping bassline, the vibes, the flute runs, clarinet etc.. drums are nice, no complaints there -- I really like the other percussion as well (the congos/bongos -- whichever it is) -- I like how the vocal clips work on this, though to be honest I am far from a Back to the Future fan, but it works for the beat. If you took out the vocal clips this could also work well with emcee(s), so that's cool. I really do like it, but I feel like I was more impressed with it the first time I heard it...hmmmm (did that humble you - haha...just kidding)

JINESIS - haha "A.K.A DARKSIDE", no kidding -- again another dark beat, but dark in a different way than some of the last few, which I like. man, I do like it but it's not the strongest I've heard from you -- again another beat that just kinda hangs in it's comfort zone, though it's an interesting comfort zone -- again another beat that could handle someone rhyming over it. unlike POTENCIA's I actually like this more than the first time I heard it, guess I underrated it off the bat -- fuck it, I just did 180 (well not a 180 because I didn't really dislike it at any point) but whatever happened I liked it a lot by the end. not perfect but it knows what it is...nice work..!!

TKurata -

what happened between those two quotes..?? - haha..!!

I already gave this beat too much attention (haha - just kidding) -- ok, honestly it is a bit of a mess (ultra chaotic, the tamborine which comes in too early for my liking, the off key bassnotes in there) -- but gottdamn there is something about it which I really do like..!! for starters I think all 3 samples are in there which (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) not many did -- also props for using 3 samples which you think sucked, I mean that's some dedication..!! also it seems to be the one beat that really moves -- others chugged along compared to this one, even if I didn't really like something it passes by so quickly it's gone before you can even get a chance to dislike it (is that a bad thing to say..??) also, I just don't even know if I ever heard a beat like this, it's been described a dozen different ways already so why not add one more as it almost has a 'medieval' or 'renaissance fair' sound to it (is that also a bad thing to say..??). this might be the first beat of yours that isn't quite mixed to snuff either, but STILL everything is pretty loud and clear...damn, this little beat is generating a lot of talk, huh (or is it just me saying too much about it..??). not your best by a long shot, but props for sure for originality..!!

(PS: is it just me or is it a little weird that it seems everyone who used Wig's Genesis sample has some kind of a forest picture on their MySpace for their beat..?!?!?! synchronicity..??)

I guess I am going with _Aj, my guts are just telling me to go with this one -- but none of these was a definitive winner for me...which I hope no one takes as an insult, as I liked most a lot -- but there wasn't one that really blew the others out of the water. in the end I just enjoyed the vibe of _Aj's beat the most -- but some pretty nice beats all around this week..!!

Oh, and much thanks to all who left feedback for all the beats and to TK for the vote..!! (though I'm not really sure what drugs you were on that lead you to that decision...haha)

THANKS TKURATA NEXT WEEK I WILL UPTEMPO THAT BITCH LOL ITS GOING TO BE CRAZAY

#24 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

it's like a ghost town here today -- what's up..??

if my count is correct it looks like we have a two way tie between matticulous precisionist and POTENCIA INCISIVE...

hope I didn't fuck that up...

congrats..!!

#25 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

it's like a ghost town here today -- what's up..??

if my count is correct it looks like we have a two way tie between matticulous precisionist and POTENCIA INCISIVE...

hope I didn't fuck that up...

congrats..!!

looooooooooooooooonnnnnggggggggg night, still wiping the sleep out my eyes B)
word thanks tillman

alright the long name MF'ers prevail :)
ill have a song up asap
peace

#26 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

...... UMMMMM.... WHATS THE VOTE COUNT ON THIS....???

WONDERING...... AFTER A LONG SATURDAY NITE OF SHOTZ OF GOLDSCHLAGER AND PLAYING POOL............... B)

IF I COUNTED CORRECTLY IT WAS 4 FOR MATT PRECISE AND 4 FOR P.I......

#27 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

...... UMMMMM.... WHATS THE VOTE COUNT ON THIS....???

WONDERING...... AFTER A LONG SATURDAY NITE OF SHOTZ OF GOLDSCHLAGER AND PLAYING POOL............... B)

IF I COUNTED CORRECTLY IT WAS 4 FOR MATT PRECISE AND 4 FOR P.I......

that's what I counted as well

matt: P.I., Aj, Chillo and Remus

P.I.: Sugio, matt, JIN and Khan

I believe Aj was the next runner up...

should we have Wig break the tie as he suggested..or just rock two samples this week..??

#28 POTENCIA INCISIVE

POTENCIA INCISIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

I SAY NO TIE BREAK....

2 SAMPLE POST....

2 AINT THAT MUCH.... GIVES IT MORE VARIETY....

#29 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

I SAY NO TIE BREAK....

2 SAMPLE POST....

2 AINT THAT MUCH.... GIVES IT MORE VARIETY....

im down!
any particular genre u wanna stick too?

#30 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

So...Matt Prizz and Pote Ince...post them samples up yo!

@ t!llman - haha I don't mind all the attention...the more feedback the better so thanks! @ your continued critique of my beat...

as far as the multiple samples, I originally saw 3 and was excited cuz I love working with multiple songs...anyway I don't lnow if it was the choices or the frame of mind I was in when I was trying to make something, but somehow those 3 songs were depressing to me and wasn't feeling them...I only had a couple hours and pretty much the one sitting to bang this out, definitely not my finest hour but I do still have affection for this beat. your feedback was hilarious, too, so good comic relief. I still think my bass notes are solid. :) lol. anyway yeah I used all three samples and they all play out in harmony but sound chaotic as fuck. I really need to work on using open space MUCH more in my productions. I think if I could just relax a little (i know i bitch alot but man life is wearing me down lately, don't ask but it's a cluster fuck from all sides), and just take a deep breath and not have to worry about time...I could make these samples work.

whatever, enough bitching from me. I can't believe nobody pointing out my jacking of ____ for the breakbeat in the track.

@ matt prizz: thanks for the feedback, damn dude that metalica comment hurt more than you can know. i appreciate the honesty though for real! madness.

@ bill collector: thanks for the feed...um, so I guess that was two strikes against my beat. no offense taken. I usually work in the 85 - 95 range but this fucker was over 120bpm, just trying something different...same with the breakbeat. as far as the acoustic guitar sampling I don't know what I was thinkin...word.

This one's for t!llman...lol:

Spank Rock - Backyard Betty (Down South Medieval Old School 80's Hair Metal Band Renaissance Fair Christmas Mix)

lol...i had to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users