86 replies to this topic

#31 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

I'll tell ya what's new my older sister's having her 3rd kid tonight, a little girl...:D

CONGRATS to your sister and the whole family, uncle TKurata..!!

#32 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

CONGRATS to your sister and the whole family, uncle TKurata..!!

:D :) :D :D
Thanks!

#33 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yo Jin you were saying you had a rough week last week...everyone alright with you and the fam?

I'm having my usual terrible, headache-inducing, stressed-filled, high pressure day at the office. What the fuck else is new?

I'll tell ya what's new my older sister's having her 3rd kid tonight, a little girl...:)

Stroke of Midnight on Thursday, Jin. It's going down! :D

GIRL PROBLEMS OVER HERE CHECK OUT WHAT WENT WRONG AND SMOKE IN THE ROOM THOSE JOINTS REFECTS

#34 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

sometimes I feel like I need a JINESIS decoder ring..haha

#35 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

sometimes I feel like I need a JINESIS decoder ring..haha

LMAO

#36 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/ajisreal

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

http://www.myspace.com/ajinstrumental

should be the first beat up there.

#37 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

will definitely peep this in a min --

...I think you jumped the gun a little on posting this, I think Friday is when we're supposed to post. though my #53 beat has been on my MySpace since Monday (though it's still not really finished)...

I kinda excited to hear the beats this week -- 3 pretty intesting samples and enough talented heads here to make a nice crop of beats to listen to come Friday/Saturday..!!

#38 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:MPC 2000 XL + Dirty Vinyl = Heaven

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

will definitely peep this in a min --

...I think you jumped the gun a little on posting this, I think Friday is when we're supposed to post. though my #53 beat has been on my MySpace since Monday (though it's still not really finished)...

I kinda excited to hear the beats this week -- 3 pretty intesting samples and enough talented heads here to make a nice crop of beats to listen to come Friday/Saturday..!!

4. Submit your beat starting Thursday evening through Friday 1200 Midnight EST

I guess it depends on where you're from on whether it's evening or not :rolleyes:

#39 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

ha ha - true, well it's like 3:00pm here in NY so it will be dark in about an hour so I guess it's almost evening..haha

anyways -- to _Aj, the beat is pretty nice -- def nice and chill -- maybe a little more variety in the beat or shave it down a little in time..?? (in my opinion, at least). still it's nice -- which sample(s) are used in this..?? I am assuming mostly the "HAT & BEARD" track but also could be Sug's sample as well -- to be honest I kinda just scanned them all and plucked out what I used but I don't really remember too much about the original samples anymore --haha

#40 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

mine is the first beat on my page too "Good ole days". It's been up since Tuesday.
http://www.myspace.com/dergillzbeats

I wasn't really feeling the samples but "the cheetah" had some interesting sounds in it. It probably won't win but I thought it came out kind of cool.

_Aj yours was dope man. I enjoyed it. Good work.

#41 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

mine is the first beat on my page too "Good ole days". It's been up since Tuesday.

I wasn't really feeling the samples but "the cheetah" had some interesting sounds in it. It probably won't win but I thought it came out kind of cool.

decent work -- I actually like the outside samples you added; the kids laughing (especially the snorting laugh which will always make me laugh), the "Good old days" quote, etc -- the beat is cool but given the source material probably could have done a little more for it -- but trust me I understand it's not always easy turning out the dopest beat if you aren't feeling the samples. but again, it's pretty cool..!!

#42 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

decent work -- I actually like the outside samples you added; the kids laughing (especially the snorting laugh which will always make me laugh), the "Good old days" quote, etc -- the beat is cool but given the source material probably could have done a little more for it -- but trust me I understand it's not always easy turning out the dopest beat if you aren't feeling the samples. but again, it's pretty cool..!!

lol i was hoping someone would like that sample. I've been waiting to use it. I got that from "A Christmas Story" the scene where the kid dives into the mash potatoes haha. Well thanks for the feedback. Not my best work. I like these battles though so i'll be back. peace.

#43 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

That bassline is amazing, at some points the sample kind of gets in the way of it, but at some points it's just perfect..

#44 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

That bassline is amazing, at some points the sample kind of gets in the way of it, but at some points it's just perfect..

I can't hear basslines on this crappy speakers at my work :P

#45 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

lol i was hoping someone would like that sample. I've been waiting to use it. I got that from "A Christmas Story" the scene where the kid dives into the mash potatoes haha. Well thanks for the feedback. Not my best work. I like these battles though so i'll be back. peace.

yeah - I hope it didn't read too negative, because that certainly wasn't my intent...

it's a cool beat and I could certainly list some more things about it which I liked, but figured I'd throw a few cents about what *I* thought of the beat that maybe you could use to spice it up a little before the deadline -- like I said, there was a lot of stuff to use this week that you could put into that beat to knock it up a notch or two...

also, people simply saying that they like the beat isn't all too constructive (which I can be guilty of doing sometimes) -- I'd rather someone let me know what they don't like about my beats (*cough*drums*cough*) so I can work on that, rather then simply saying something like, "that was pretty dope" or whatever...

still as with last week's battle there were some entries which I had NOTHING bad to say about - so I left it as a simple, "that was pretty dope"...ha ha

#46 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

ha ha - true, well it's like 3:00pm here in NY so it will be dark in about an hour so I guess it's almost evening..haha

anyways -- to _Aj, the beat is pretty nice -- def nice and chill -- maybe a little more variety in the beat or shave it down a little in time..?? (in my opinion, at least). still it's nice -- which sample(s) are used in this..?? I am assuming mostly the "HAT & BEARD" track but also could be Sug's sample as well -- to be honest I kinda just scanned them all and plucked out what I used but I don't really remember too much about the original samples anymore --haha

yeah i jumped the gun cause i was sposed to be out tonight and tommorow but the plans got cancelled for tonight so now i've got all this downtime!!

i used "Howard Blake - The Cheetah".

i was thinking i should trim it down but i got that "i might wanna spit on this later" and that lazy factor. so i just pretty much extend a track to "spittable" (i guess?) lengths.

thanks for the info. i'm trying to do more with my beats, throw some little inflections i might not have usually done.

#47 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

thanks. i've finally got my computer and my keyboards in the same place so i'm utilizing that.
i hear ya though about the sample, i just wanted to try and grab a little more than i usually do.
sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt! :lol:

#48 _Aj

_Aj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

thanks. I feel you about the samples, I was like "jesus christ what am i gonna do here".

i like the hi-hats & shakers in your pattern. that open before the 1 comes swinging back around gives it a nice feeling.
overall a decent beat, there's nothing particularly wrong with it from what i'm hearing just doesn't grab my attention and hold it. The vibes are a nice touch too.

#49 dergillz

dergillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually involved with a project right now that if it goes well could make me a lot of money. I took a couple of hours Monday night and did that beat, so I won't be spicing it up before the deadline lol. I will get MORE involved in the future though

_Aj - I listened to your beat again and I caught the bassline. That bassline brings it home man. I was like "whoa!" because when I heard it at work the beat was like...ehhh it's alright, it's chill, but now that I have some decent speakers to listen to it on I realize I was missing out haha. Good work man. I really enjoyed it. Peace fellas.

#50 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

Shit...I didnt get as much work in on this beat as I wanted...still holding off on posting it cuz all I have is a verse and a chorus loop right now...hopefully I get a chance to do it tomorrow before the deadline...but tomorrow is also the gallery opening....

ARGH.

Anyone mind if I drop mine in a little after the deadline tomorrow night? I gotta be at the gallery until 9pm Pacific (midnight Eastern)

lemme know.

#51 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

not 100% done, but figured I'd post for some pre-deadline feedback...

STMB 53 - Gallows Humor

#52 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Shit...I didnt get as much work in on this beat as I wanted...still holding off on posting it cuz all I have is a verse and a chorus loop right now...hopefully I get a chance to do it tomorrow before the deadline...but tomorrow is also the gallery opening....

ARGH.

Anyone mind if I drop mine in a little after the deadline tomorrow night? I gotta be at the gallery until 9pm Pacific (midnight Eastern)

lemme know.

I certainly don't have a problem giving people a little wiggle room to hand in their beats...plus I want to hear a new Sub beat this week..!!

#53 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

SMOOTH IT OUTI BUSTED ONE OF THE SAMPLES COULDNT GET TO ALL GOT THE BUG THATS BEEN GOIN AROUND HERE

#54 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

NOT SURE IF I LINKED IT RIGHT BUT IF NOT COPY PASTE THIS
http://www.myspace.com/matthew992006
FIRST BEAT UP
PEACE

#55 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

NOT SURE IF I LINKED IT RIGHT BUT IF NOT COPY PASTE THIS
http://www.myspace.com/matthew992006
FIRST BEAT UP
PEACE

love it..!!

a little long, but still I love it...

(your other beats sound great too..!!)

#56 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:00 AM

love it..!!

a little long, but still I love it...

(your other beats sound great too..!!)

THANKS MAN YEAH I GOTTA HABIT OF LETTING THE BEAT RIDE A LIL LONGER THEN IT SHOULD SO IVE BEEN TOLD HAHA BUT WHEN I MAKE THE MIXDOWN I MAKE EM LONG ENOUGH SO IF PEOPLE WANT TO WRITE TO EM THE CAN LET RIDE FOR A FEW BUT THANKS

#57 mchi

mchi

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:24 AM

my entry ->

#58 matticulous precisionist

matticulous precisionist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:47 AM

not 100% done, but figured I'd post for some pre-deadline feedback...

STMB 53 - Gallows Humor

i like mang! love the elegance NICE!

#59 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:05 AM

i like mang! love the elegance NICE!

thanks -- I am mostly concerned right now with the drums in the second part of the beat (specifically around 1:40 in), I want them to have that jazzy, improv-ish feel but I am concerned that they are a little too loose and all over the place...

thoughts..??

thanks in advance...

#60 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

my entry ->

pretty cool, you definitely focused on some of the crazier sounds this week..!! almost thought this was a cralias beat under a different name for a sec - haha..!! almost a little too short, maybe..?? (must I always bitch about the length of these..??)

...speaking of, where has cralias been lately..?? my beat this week is a subtle homage to cralias' stylings with the A/B type format (although I do go back to A in the end...but still)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users