STMB Beat Battle 50

114 replies to this topic

#1 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

OK...so word on the street is that this beat battle will be different in that we are each supposed to choose a Steely Dan track (claim it in this thread) as the basis for a beat...

t!llman has already chosen his:

from the album Royal Scam I will be taking track #5 "The Fez"

Same deadlines as usual?

#2 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

i'm gonna do deacon blues

#3 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I will take track 5 from aja...titled "Home at Last"

#4 2 Mello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

I'll take DOCTOR WU.

#5 JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

ok where is the album to choose from

#6 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

View PostJINESIS, on Jan 27 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

Check last week's voting thread,,,I think someone posted a link to somethin there...

#7 t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

View PostJINESIS, on Jan 27 2008, 11:36 PM, said:

pick any unclaimed song from any of these albums, which can be found by following the below link in orange:

View Postshakey finch, on Jan 27 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

i wouldnt normally do this but yeah steely dan albums shhhhh :D

I guess if you still have questions...

#8 jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Watching the A-Team.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

:D

I'm going to go with "The Royal Scam"

#9 quasquasquas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

'Fire In The Hole' , off of Cant Buy a Thrill.

#10 Guest_Outlier_*

• Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

View Postquasquasquas, on Jan 27 2008, 10:25 PM, said:

'Fire In The Hole' , off of Cant Buy a Thrill.

I was just gonna type that in and decided to check the thread... good pick. back to lookin---->

#11 quasquasquas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

View PostOutlier, on Jan 28 2008, 02:43 AM, said:

I was just gonna type that in and decided to check the thread... good pick. back to lookin---->

haha sorry dude. I just checked the thread out and dug out my only Steely Dan record. I had to refresh my memory.

#12 chillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:28 AM

PRETZEL LOGIC

#13 shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

THE CAVES OF ALTAMIRA off the royal scam now ive just gotta find time to do it

#14 Guest_Drella._*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

I don't listen to Steely Dan.

#15 shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,447 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

View PostDrella., on Jan 28 2008, 08:15 PM, said:

i dont listen to klaus wunderlich but ive sampled him

plus steely dan are very good musicians

#16 sleepy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Im 18, Im from Co.Wicklow in Ireland (NTMK Brapp Brapp), me and my mate used to make joke tracks on Ejay back in the day,when we were like 13 or 14 or some shit,got the production bug from there,always wanted to write my own music,make my own drums,cut up songs to shit just to get one hit or somethin out of them, so i got hooked up with a copy of fruity loops a while later,spent probably 2 years pissin about on ejay waitin for it,stickin james brown speech sample over raggedy ass drum loops,thinkin i was the next dj shadow or somethin,finally got the hook up,bought a keyboard and continued from there and have been making music (and improving hopefully) ever since

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

was gonna go for fire in the hole or kings off Cant Buy A Thrill but ones gone and the other was sampled for a klashnekoff track so its going to be DIRTY WORK from the same album

#17 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

View Postsleepy, on Jan 28 2008, 03:40 PM, said:

DIRTY WORK

GREAT song.
one of my FAV steely's

#18 Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

i'm gonna do "King of the World"

#19 Guest_Outlier_*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

"Throw back the little ones" from Katy Lied

#20 TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

View PostDrella., on Jan 28 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

Do you actively listen to every record you've sampled? My god if I did that I'd lose my mind...

lol yeah I've got Aja and a couple other Steely Dan...incredibly talented band but not really my thing either.

So YOLOUNGEHIM9 won the battle? Is that confirmed? Congrats man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also thanks t!llman for the feedback, sorry I didn't post feed...didn't have time... Also wanna say it was dope to hear Subbass with a whole new sound! kickass! and wigmaster I almost voted for you--those long television samples you used were sick...really haunting...nice track.

I'm gonna take this battle's opportunity to sample from many different songs...all Steely Dan but I want to throw a bunch together. Don't worry I won't loop any complete phrases or anything so they're won't be any overlap.

If we are going to do an official STMB album, I feel like we should take two weeks...or maybe just submit whatever we have on Friday and use next week to criticize the beats and possibly change them to make them better. Just an idea.

Other ideas for STMB albums would be sampling from a certain country, or genre. Or we could do an album with everyone submitting a complete track, vocals and everything. no limits. just the best shit you can put together. anyway this week is cool but the concept (Steely Dan) is a little bit off. What are we gonna call the album? Any way you slice it, the album name will have to have Steely Dan in it...and therein lies the problem. B) Oh well at least I know it will sound really good...

bringin a bit of ramble to the thread...

#21 SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

or maybe just submit whatever we have on Friday and use next week to criticize the beats and possibly change them to make them better. Just an idea.

And a great idea at that...let's do this...

#22 Guest_Drella._*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

What I mean is I don't know any Steely Dan. So it's a bit difficult for people who don't own or know of their music.

I'm not annoyed or anything. ^_^ Just stating how I feel... I prefer to have someone choose the samples.

#23 Guest_Outlier_*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

View PostTKurata, on Jan 28 2008, 03:39 PM, said:

I'm gonna take this battle's opportunity to sample from many different songs...all Steely Dan but I want to throw a bunch together. Don't worry I won't loop any complete phrases or anything so they're won't be any overlap.

That's what I had in mind when I replied back in the #49 voting thread. I'm much more creatively inspired if we are able to grab from multiple Steely Dan tracks.

#24 t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (TKurata @ Jan 28 2008, 03:39 PM)

View PostOutlier, on Jan 28 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

That's what I had in mind when I replied back in the #49 voting thread. I'm much more creatively inspired if we are able to grab from multiple Steely Dan tracks.

I was tempted to do so as well -- the song I picked isn't bad by for making a beat, but probably not the best either (could be wrong though) -- any way without really being familiar with Steely Dan's music I picked my song because of its title (believe me I was this close to picking "Pretzel Logic" - ha ha). anyway, I am going to stay with just using this as a means of sticking to the rules and to force myself to make a beat from this song -- ha ha

#25 2 Mello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

we're still allowed to add minimal synths and other samples, right?

#26 t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

...and what about putting sound clips over the beat..?? I see that a lot of you like to put different kinds of sound clips/vocal cuts/dialogue over you beats -- if we're going for consistency here should we limit that kind of stuff to specific sources as well..??

#27 theyoungelohim9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

do we pick any steely dan song or are there some on here to choose from?

i humbly appreciate the votes from the last battle. thanks

peace.

#28 jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Watching the A-Team.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

View PostTKurata, on Jan 28 2008, 03:39 PM, said:

Do you actively listen to every record you've sampled? My god if I did that I'd lose my mind...

lol yeah I've got Aja and a couple other Steely Dan...incredibly talented band but not really my thing either.

So YOLOUNGEHIM9 won the battle? Is that confirmed? Congrats man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also thanks t!llman for the feedback, sorry I didn't post feed...didn't have time... Also wanna say it was dope to hear Subbass with a whole new sound! kickass! and wigmaster I almost voted for you--those long television samples you used were sick...really haunting...nice track.

If we are going to do an official STMB album, I feel like we should take two weeks...or maybe just submit whatever we have on Friday and use next week to criticize the beats and possibly change them to make them better. Just an idea.

Other ideas for STMB albums would be sampling from a certain country, or genre. Or we could do an album with everyone submitting a complete track, vocals and everything. no limits. just the best shit you can put together. anyway this week is cool but the concept (Steely Dan) is a little bit off. What are we gonna call the album? Any way you slice it, the album name will have to have Steely Dan in it...and therein lies the problem. B) Oh well at least I know it will sound really good...

bringin a bit of ramble to the thread...

Let's do STMB In India...oh wait...

#29 The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

someone posted a link...that's why it shouldn't matter if you don't know their stuff. just download one or all of the albums and do it up.

if we're going for multiple songs now that changes it a bit. i'll probably use 2 or 3 asswell then...

#30 theyoungelohim9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

i think i'll use the royal scam track, but there are like 3 other tracks i like too. so if no one post any of them, TKurata mentioned, i may try to fit them in if they fit.

aiight, PEACE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users