71 replies to this topic

#31 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

unfortunately I am not coming up with any ideas concerning a very special beat battle #50 -- but I like the sound of doing something a little different - I would be down if possible..

#32 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Watching the A-Team.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

on soulstrut they all got given a song to use off the leo sayer 'endless flight' album could do sumthin with 'whipped cream and other delights' not sure if they have done that one aswell though, in short they were using common dollar bin turds

bit of fun innit

I just so happen to have "whipped cream and other delights," course so does everyone else. haha.

#33 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Shit ya'll...I feel bad...I crashed out on the couch after dinner and JUST woke up...I'll try to hit ya'll with feedback tomorrow...bummed that i didn't vote...lol...bomb-ass nachos and a couple Snow-Caps will do that to a guy though...lol...

#34 Milkman

Milkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

crap didn't have a chance to get on today and vote!

sorry everyone.

#35 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

shit too late for the vote! sorry guys.

for 50 we def need something special to mark the half century.

I love that 12/12 idea from shakey.

#36 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

I love that 12/12 idea from shakey.

these are the full rules from that site of course we'd have to alter them a bit cos i dont really have time to make 6 beats in 12 hours (work and all)

What can 12 musicians create in 12 hours with only $12 worth of thrift store finds?

What?
The Crate Digger Death-match is an audio experiment wherein 12 different musicians attempt to create an entire album in under 12 hours using only $12 worth of cds, records, vhs tapes, or children’s toys as their instruments.

When?
Each artist must shop for sound sources and create their album on January 5th, between 8 AM and 8 PM Eastern Time.

Why?
The
Crate Digger Death-match attempts to show artists how much they can actually achieve with just a few tools and only half a day. By minimizing source materials and production time, the project seeks to maximize creative potential.

Who?
CDD is open to all musicians, remix artists, circuit benders, and producers, however each competition may have no more than 12 participants. A panel of 4 judges will scrutinize and rate each artist’s album, but online judging for best “single” will be open to everyone.

Rules
Pre-production

The contest is open 12 competitors from anywhere in the world. To sign up, email Z. (hipsterplease@gmail.com) no later than 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, January 3rd.
Each competitor is limited to $12 (pre-tax/USD) worth of “sound sources.” These may only be purchased from thrift stores on the day of the event (January 5th, 2008).
Sound sources may include, records, CDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, DVDs, 8-track cassettes, children’s toys, musical devices, or any other device that a participant deems adequate to create music within the bounds of this competition.
On the morning of the event, Z. (from Hipster, please!) will announce 3 additional rules and/or limitations regarding sample sources or track specifications.
Contestants have 2 hours to shop for sound sources and test material before they begin production.
Contestants are required to submit a photo or scan of receipts for samples sources.
The Album
Competitors can only use the sound sources purchased within the outlined parameters to create their albums.
No pre-existing drum kits, synths, or samples may be used. (This also includes any vocal or instrumental tracks/recordings not purchased on the day of the event under the contests parameters).
Competitors
may use any form of music editing equipment to edit their material (i.e.: Audacity, ProTools, analog, cassette player, etc.)
Once
production begins (this includes recording samples/altering electronics/etc.), each competitor has 12 hours to complete his submission.
To qualify as an album, each artist must submit a minimum of 6 songs of at least 2 minutes in length.
Maximum album length is capped at 55 minutes.
Post-Production
All albums must be named and completed by 8:00 AM EST Sunday, January 6th.
Each artist is to pick his “best” track and submit it via email to Z. (hipsterplease@gmail.com) by 8:00 AM EST on January 6th, 2008. These submissions will be made available for public voting.
Each artist will also email his entire completed album to Z. by noon on January 6th.
Artwork may be submitted but is not mandatory. Artwork does not have to be created by the competitor and does not have to be made in the 12 hour period, but must be submitted by 8:00 AM EST on January 6th to be included.
Each artist is allowed (and encouraged) to post his entire album on his own site after it is completed.
Judging
As previously outlined, each artist will submit his “best” track. Each of these submissions will be judged online by a popular vote throughout the following week.
This online voting will be limited to one vote per person.
A panel of 4 celebrity judges will judge each full album.
Bart Hopkin, famed author and experimental musician, will judge each album based on originality.
Baddd Spellah, influential nerdcore hip-hop producer, will judge each album based on production value.
Tim, of long-running UK bastard pop podcast Radio Clash, will judge each album based on overall listenability.
Z., nerd music and culture blogger, will judge each album based on cohesiveness and structure.
All judging will end on Sunday, January 13th, one week after the albums are submitted.
Teh Winner
The winner will be determined by general consensus based on the collective opinions of the judges concerning the quality of the albums and the input of the general public via online voting for the showcased “singles.”
The winner will be announced on Monday, January 14th and will be crowned King of the Crate Digger Death-match (Round I)
There may only be one King at a time, so in order to retain the crown, the current King must enter and win the next Crate Digger Death-match
There may be some prizes… There may not.

By
entering the Crate Digger Death-match, each artist is giving permission to the Crate Digger Death-match organizers to use their material on future CDD compilations (online or in a physical medium), however, artists are also allowed to use their material for whatever personal endeavors they may also choose, and may use the CDD logo on materials created in official events.

#37 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

feedback...

JINESIS - another darker beat, but once again it's extremely nasty. I like your shit, you definitely have a good knack for bending the sample for what you want rather than letting the sample dictate the vibe. seems pretty emcee friendly which is cool -- plus it hits the soft spot of my love for some good rugged, grimy NYC loops..!! my only beef would be that the synth that swells (I don't really know how to describe it) kind of cuts off a bit too short -- if you can let it ride out just a bit more or add some reverb it'll be perfect. two-thumbs up..!! thanks again for the vote

Milkman - nice beat -- I don't know why but these more upbeat works have really just been sounding great to me over the past few weeks. the vocal sample is a real nice touch. a little more variety would have been cool -- at least some little tweaks or touches -- still as it stands it's a cool slice of hip-hop. again another emcee friendly beat, probably would be a lot of fun to drop some acapellas, freestyles, verses...

Josh G - nice - this one is definitely making my headphones flex like a motherfucker..!! took it more dancehall but whatever 'cause I'd be lying if I said I'm not diggin' it..!! I like the change around the 0:55 mark, nice touch.

cralias - the first 50 seconds didn't work for me -- the second half was better, but still for me it was lacking and seemed reminiscent of some of your previous work.

Friies - not to sound like a dick, but your beat didn't work for me like it seemed to work for everyone else. I'm certainly not trying to say it's bad because it's not, but the chops and flow of it just doesn't work for me.

theyoungelohim9 - simply put, I love this beat. no reason to say anymore...

TKurata - pretty crazy -- I have an odd attraction to the bassline, haha..!! love it when everything kicks in. nice touches throughout, like the little stutters here and there, really gives it life. maybe it's not your best work, but you could be doing yourself some disservice by down-talking it -- you gotta hype your shit like JINESIS..!! haha

SubBass49 - interesting because you took the sample from TKurata and seemed to give that a reggae vibe -- not sure how to explain but something about the horns doesn't work 100% for me -- I do love that sound tanked down to that low frequency, pretty nutty sounding. overall it's cool, but the horn thing throws me off -- nice work using just the samples though, because sounds like you got some great sounds mixed in there.

The Wig Master - this beat is so goddamn slick..!! the filtered shit in the background is so ill and that bassline is brutal -- the outtro is really nice too..!! no real criticisms here -- man, your shit is constantly great..!!

#38 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

these are the full rules from that site of course we'd have to alter them a bit cos i dont really have time to make 6 beats in 12 hours (work and all)

What can 12 musicians create in 12 hours with only $12 worth of thrift store finds?

What?
The Crate Digger Death-match is an audio experiment wherein 12 different musicians attempt to create an entire album in under 12 hours using only $12 worth of cds, records, vhs tapes, or children’s toys as their instruments.

When?
Each artist must shop for sound sources and create their album on January 5th, between 8 AM and 8 PM Eastern Time.

Why?
The
Crate Digger Death-match attempts to show artists how much they can actually achieve with just a few tools and only half a day. By minimizing source materials and production time, the project seeks to maximize creative potential.

Who?
CDD is open to all musicians, remix artists, circuit benders, and producers, however each competition may have no more than 12 participants. A panel of 4 judges will scrutinize and rate each artist’s album, but online judging for best “single” will be open to everyone.

Rules
Pre-production

The contest is open 12 competitors from anywhere in the world. To sign up, email Z. (hipsterplease@gmail.com) no later than 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, January 3rd.
Each competitor is limited to $12 (pre-tax/USD) worth of “sound sources.” These may only be purchased from thrift stores on the day of the event (January 5th, 2008).
Sound sources may include, records, CDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, DVDs, 8-track cassettes, children’s toys, musical devices, or any other device that a participant deems adequate to create music within the bounds of this competition.
On the morning of the event, Z. (from Hipster, please!) will announce 3 additional rules and/or limitations regarding sample sources or track specifications.
Contestants have 2 hours to shop for sound sources and test material before they begin production.
Contestants are required to submit a photo or scan of receipts for samples sources.
The Album
Competitors can only use the sound sources purchased within the outlined parameters to create their albums.
No pre-existing drum kits, synths, or samples may be used. (This also includes any vocal or instrumental tracks/recordings not purchased on the day of the event under the contests parameters).
Competitors
may use any form of music editing equipment to edit their material (i.e.: Audacity, ProTools, analog, cassette player, etc.)
Once
production begins (this includes recording samples/altering electronics/etc.), each competitor has 12 hours to complete his submission.
To qualify as an album, each artist must submit a minimum of 6 songs of at least 2 minutes in length.
Maximum album length is capped at 55 minutes.
Post-Production
All albums must be named and completed by 8:00 AM EST Sunday, January 6th.
Each artist is to pick his “best” track and submit it via email to Z. (hipsterplease@gmail.com) by 8:00 AM EST on January 6th, 2008. These submissions will be made available for public voting.
Each artist will also email his entire completed album to Z. by noon on January 6th.
Artwork may be submitted but is not mandatory. Artwork does not have to be created by the competitor and does not have to be made in the 12 hour period, but must be submitted by 8:00 AM EST on January 6th to be included.
Each artist is allowed (and encouraged) to post his entire album on his own site after it is completed.
Judging
As previously outlined, each artist will submit his “best” track. Each of these submissions will be judged online by a popular vote throughout the following week.
This online voting will be limited to one vote per person.
A panel of 4 celebrity judges will judge each full album.
Bart Hopkin, famed author and experimental musician, will judge each album based on originality.
Baddd Spellah, influential nerdcore hip-hop producer, will judge each album based on production value.
Tim, of long-running UK bastard pop podcast Radio Clash, will judge each album based on overall listenability.
Z., nerd music and culture blogger, will judge each album based on cohesiveness and structure.
All judging will end on Sunday, January 13th, one week after the albums are submitted.
Teh Winner
The winner will be determined by general consensus based on the collective opinions of the judges concerning the quality of the albums and the input of the general public via online voting for the showcased “singles.”
The winner will be announced on Monday, January 14th and will be crowned King of the Crate Digger Death-match (Round I)
There may only be one King at a time, so in order to retain the crown, the current King must enter and win the next Crate Digger Death-match
There may be some prizes… There may not.

By
entering the Crate Digger Death-match, each artist is giving permission to the Crate Digger Death-match organizers to use their material on future CDD compilations (online or in a physical medium), however, artists are also allowed to use their material for whatever personal endeavors they may also choose, and may use the CDD logo on materials created in official events.

Very interesting...

We'd have to pick a longer time frame though I would think...mainly because everyone in here has fucked-up work schedules...

I dunno if everyone is gonna be down to go out and buy materials though.

What if we take a thrift store record...upload it...and let everyone claim a track from it? Once a track is claimed, it's off limits to everyone else. Then everyone does a track and submits it...

I think the other idea is cool too, but we don't have enough time to get everyone on board for this week...

So whadda ya'll say?

#39 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

well rather than letting someone claim it get someone (i.e who doesnt take part in the battles) to dish them out? no one can moan they got stuck with the shit then

what record then? bob james? herb alpert? wonder what the most commonly sampled record is? prolly sumthin with a break on it (funky drummer maybe) could throw up 4 suggestions and have a quick vote? just throwing some ideas out there, il take part seeing as its beat battle 50 might be a shit entry but its only for fun hey!

#40 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

OK...I'll list some common ones I have in my collection...everyone else do the same?

Thelma Houston - Any Way You Like It
Average White Band - AWB
Love Unlimited - Under The Influence Of
5th Dimension - Age of Aquarius
Bob James and Earl Klugh - One On One
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Steely Dan - Aja

#41 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

i was googling about for common samples and found this site (crate kingz or sum shit) and it had this list

17 artists that should never be sampled again

James Brown
Zapp & Roger (Troutman)
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Michael Jackson (Jackson 5 is still fair game when done well. Ex. producers J Dilla, Kanye West, and Wayne-O)
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
The Doors
Parliament Funkadelic
Ohio Players
Roy Ayers
The Beatles (Including all solo projects)
Jimi Hendrix
Barry White
The Crusaders
Al Green (especially his drums)
Earth, Wind, & Fire

im all for trying to squeeze some life into a tired and worn out samples

#42 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

i have aja...

who the fuck samples john coltrane?? i never heard that shoit...

#43 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

i have aja...

who the fuck samples john coltrane?? i never heard that shoit...

uh flying lotus? :huh:

Giant Steps: (Atlantic 1960)
* "Syeeda's Song Flute"
3rd Eye ft Group Home - "Ease Up"
Fu-Schnickens - "True Fu-Schnick"

The Gentle Side of John Coltrane: (GRP 1961)
* "My Little Brown Book"
DJ Cam - "No Competition"

Ole Coltrane: (Atlantic ?)
* "Ole"
Aceyalone - "The Hunt"

Africa/Brass: (Impulse 1961)
* "Africa"
Aceyalone - "The Hunt"

A Love Supreme: (Impulse 1964)
* "Acknowledgement"
Da Nuthouse - "A Luv Supream"
Mad Flava - "Spread tha Butta"
Patterson - "Freedom Now (Meditation)"

Om: (Impulse 1965)
* "Om-Part One"
Sixtoo - "Work in Progress"

Afro Blue Impressions: (Pablo 1977)
* "My Favourite Things" (Live)
Juggaknotz - "Troubleman"

Hartman, Johnny w/ John Coltrane
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman: (Impulse 1963)
* "Autumn Serenade"
Pharcyde - "Pack the Pipe"
Tribal Jam - "9-5"

Jackson, Milt and John Coltrane
Bags and Trane: (Atlantic 1961)
* "The Late Late Blues"
KRS-One - "Brown Skin Woman"

i also have aja

#44 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

ok my bad. didn't know about flylo.
none of those other ones were too popular though...cept maybe the fu-schnick

#45 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

actually i dunno if flylo has sampled john coltranes stuff may be his uncle but he still would have to pay like the rest of us

#46 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

Looks like Aja might be the way to go?

What's everyone else say?

#47 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Everyone's gonna wanna do Black Cow though...lol...

Only problem is that there's only 7 tracks on the album...

#48 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

Steely Dan
Aja: (MCA 1977)

* "Peg"
De la Soul - "Eye Know"
Goldie - "In the Land of Funk"
* "Black Cow"
Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz - "Deja Vu"
MF Doom - "Gas Drawlz"
Porn Theatre Ushers - "Me & Him"
Tatyana Ali - "Daydreamin'"
* "Home at Last"
Big Shug - "Stripped and Pistol Whipped"

#49 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

i inherited the entire steely dan back catalogue off my uncle so im down with any of their albums

#50 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

What if we limit it to Steely Dan tracks?

Everyone picks on Steely Dan song and uses it as their sample source...

Whatcha all think?

#51 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

off any steely album or just aja? im cool with either

#52 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

off any steely album or just aja? im cool with either

Aja would limit us to 7 participants...so why don't we branch out to all Steely Dan albums?

#53 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

ok il pick one out for myself tommorow

deadlines same as normal?

#54 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have no Steely Dan whatsoever ;)

#55 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

I have no Steely Dan whatsoever ;)

call yourself a crate digger! yeh i was wondering if everyone had some steely dan albums

#56 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

i wouldnt normally do this but yeah steely dan albums shhhhh ;)

#57 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

i wouldnt normally do this but yeah steely dan albums shhhhh ;)

Oooh..it'll take ages to get them all since you can only download so much at a time from Rapidshare, so I'll wait until and album gets chosen definitely..

#58 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

i don't think you can get into a steely dan concert without wine and cheese...

#59 Guest_Outlier_*

Guest_Outlier_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

I take it that this is for week 50?

After listening to a full (Steely Dan) album, I thought it might be interesting to use samples from just one album. I really don't care what the rules are really... it's just a fun challenging exercise.

The ONLY wish I have always had is that the beat submission deadline be something other than Friday or Saturday. I feel like the weekends are the only days in which I can really work on something. If it's just me then... tell me to suck it up! ;)

#60 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

so wait, are we picking from all albums or just one specific Steely Dan record..??

also, who the hell won Battle #49..?? and if we're using Steely Dan for battle #50 what does the winner of #49 get for winning..??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users