31 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Wham

Bobby Wham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

Personally I think it's pretty ugly, like the shining album cover. There's black and burgundy colorways. They should have let Jank design this one, would of way rather copped a donuts designed new era than this one.

http://www.savehiphop.org/blogg/?p=246

#2 ghstpg

ghstpg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

It could certainly be better, but I'd still wear one. I kinda like the Shining album cover; it's clean and understated. Either way, that's a cool hat. Thanks for the link!

#3 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

I kinda like the Shining album cover; it's clean and understated.

i hate the shining cover art. it does not represent the music at all.... it's lowest common denominator design. rubbish. same with the shining ep - all glitz and bad design glam. would it have looked the same if he'd been alive when it was released or would he have halted that shit??? thats what i want to know...

stupid bbe. the inside of the gatefold is all pixelated...

#4 geewon001

geewon001

Funky Psychic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Location:Detroit; "Tha Dee"; Motown; Murda Mitten; Dirty Glove; Iron Fist

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

Guilty Simpson had on one, at the Detroit 'Chrome Children' tour show. I think that the cap looks dope, but to me it would have been doper in the Shining album cover colors, Burgundy and Gold, instead of black and gold?!?

#5 Bobby Wham

Bobby Wham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Guilty Simpson had on one, at the Detroit 'Chrome Children' tour show. I think that the cap looks dope, but to me it would have been doper in the Shining album cover colors, Burgundy and Gold, instead of black and gold?!?

Yeah, it's in burgundy as well, 2 colourways

i hate the shining cover art. it does not represent the music at all.... it's lowest common denominator design. rubbish. same with the shining ep - all glitz and bad design glam. would it have looked the same if he'd been alive when it was released or would he have halted that shit??? thats what i want to know...

stupid bbe. the inside of the gatefold is all pixelated...

Yeah I know eh, brutal album artwork for the shining..that cheesy gucci pattern, what the hell were they thinking? Look at the welcome to detroit package, great photography, innovative cd package with the magnet? They really fell off on the album artwork this time.

#6 oneuped

oneuped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Somewhat dope hat, I'd rock with a curved brim of course (none of that straight brim bollocks cats be rocking these days.)

...and for the record the Shining cover is smooth and unique.

Peace

#7 labeledasabadcharacter

labeledasabadcharacter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:I'm an addict for sneakers, 20's of buddah and bitches with beepers.

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

So where can I purchase a couple?

#8 capn'_o.gee_readmore

capn'_o.gee_readmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

/\ I heard from my homie DJ HouseShoes, that they're mad limited. Only given to label peeps, street team, DJs, etc. This is what he told me when I asked him to hook me up with one, and he's the one of the few people I know who has one and, or would be able to get their hands on one.

My only other advice would be, keep testin' out Ebay or Amazon, or stay persistent with daily search engine 'keyword'. You can find one.

#9 Bobby Wham

Bobby Wham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Goodfoot in Toronto is gonna be carrying them in Canada. Not sure about the states....

#10 labeledasabadcharacter

labeledasabadcharacter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:I'm an addict for sneakers, 20's of buddah and bitches with beepers.

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

Goodfoot in Toronto is gonna be carrying them in Canada. Not sure about the states....

Thanks Bobby, I'm in T.O. I'll check there.

#11 bb_double

bb_double

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:u

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

damn that is nice thanks for the late pass
hopefully goodfoot in calgary gets them I cant find them on the web at all

an yess "the shining" art is dope

#12 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

damn do i want that hat...and you have to wear it with the bill flat (take the sticker off though) cause you only bend them on hats that needed to block out sun,not style.

and i have no problem with the shining cover art.

#13 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

STMB Hooligan/Ne'er-do-well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

To bend...or not to bend...

I got a big head, 7 and 5/8ths holla!

#14 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

i stay rockin' the flat bill steez. no thanks on that hat though. i'd rather just have a "dilla" version detroit tigers hat. like Posted ImageILLA lol...yeaaaaaah

#15 kcat

kcat

Crate diggin' kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:beats, love songs, Simpsons, guitar

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

Yeah I've seen House Shoes and Guilty Simpson plus a few other cats rocking them, they have it in burgandy too...purrrdy. :)

**edited**

I knew I had a pic of it....
Posted Image

#16 defter

defter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

maaan, I was juss atta store where they'll be getting them next week.

$125

most of that better be going to his family, but even so, it's a little rich for my blood...

#17 labeledasabadcharacter

labeledasabadcharacter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

$125

most of that better be going to his family, but even so, it's a little rich for my blood...

DOH! <_<

#18 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

To bend...or not to bend...

I got a big head, 7 and 5/8ths holla!

Damn Son
7 3/8's For Me
Which Is Still Kinda Big
But You Gotta Rock With the Turn Around Steez
I Wear My Hat all Over the Place
Can't Be Snug Or I'd Have a Ring Around My Head Where There Was No Hair

Can't Bend
And No Rocking Stickers...

The Hats Don't Come Bent
You Wouldn't Bend Your Shoes Would You?

#19 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Nah but I tie 'em.

#20 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:50 AM

Dillas cap is keeping me awake at night. when and where can i get one???????

#21 Urbaniak

Urbaniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:19 AM

$125? Hahahaha.

#22 bb_double

bb_double

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:u

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

$125

hope this is not correct

#23 Muzik Macks

Muzik Macks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

$125

Im pretty sure the point of the hat was for the foundation but I could be wrong. That hat is dope tho

hope this is not correct

well its extremely limited, what did you expect

#24 Mymanhenri

Mymanhenri

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

Peace.

Just noticed this post and thought that I should pass more news about the Dilla x New Era caps.

If, you're looking for one, get ready - only 3 stores will carry them in all of North Am. Anyhow, here's the official Press Release.

For Immediate Release:
J Dilla’s legacy continues to shine

J Dilla X New Era

'The Shining' Branded Hats to hit stores on Black Friday
J Dilla 'Shining' New Era hats will be released on Nov. 24th, 2006.  There will be two hats released, each will correspond to the color of the shining album and instrumental album. The hats will be sold for $74.00 each. 74 commemorates the year that J Dilla was born. The black hat will include a copy of The Shining instrumental CD album and the crimson hat will include a copy of The Shining CD. The hats will be limited to 144, of each colorway. All proceeds from the hats will go to the J Dilla foundation http://www.jdilla.org <http://www.jdilla.org/>

The hats will be available 11/24/06 at:

New York - Union NY 172 Spring Street Tel. 212.226.8493
Los Angeles - Union LA 110 South La Brea Avenue Tel. 323.549.6950
Toronto – Goodfoot 431 Richmond Street Tel. 416.364.0734
Montreal – Goodfoot 3830 St. Laurent Boulevard
Calgary – Goodfoot 736 17th. Ave. SW Unit B (Upper Unit)
Vancouver – Goodfoot/Ransom 36 Powell St.
Online – www.okayplayer.com <http://www.okayplayer.com>

In Toronto INQMND, GOODFOOT and SMPLSZ will host a fundraiser and hat release party on 11/23/06 at Supermarket 268 Augusta Ave. Doors open @ 9PM and donations are $5. For more info go to http://jdilla.imeem.com/ <http://jdilla.imeem.com/> Inquiring Mind http://www.inqmnd.ca GoodFoot http://www.getonthegoodfoot.ca SMPLSZ http://www.smplsz.com

New Video To Be Released For ‘Shining’ Album Track 'Won't Do' exclusively on imeem (www.imeem.com <http://www.imeem.com/> )
As word continues to spread on the recent release of J Dilla's final work 'The Shining', a steady chorus of praise is making itself heard.  From major magazine features and newspapers nationally to NPR, television and more, this final work by one of Hip Hop's most innovative creative forces continues to be held up as proof that J Dilla was one of the most significant Hip Hop artists in recent memory.  

The release will now see further play with a new video currently in post production for the track 'Won't Do'.  The video is directed by Mazik Saevitz (of Blood of Abraham fame) and will feature Dilla's brother John Yancey as well as cameos from Common, Will.I.AM, Black Thought, Talib Kweli, Karriem Riggins and others. Styling for the video was done by Las Vegas based Fruition (www.fruitionlv.com <http://www.fruitionlv.com> ). Expect a surreal CG driven visual journey that will celebrate Dilla’s legacy while staying true to ‘Won’t Do’ as a song.
The video will premier on 12/4/06 and will be exclusively available on imeem http://jdilla.imeem.com/ <http://jdilla.imeem.com/>  for 2 weeks following the premier. 2 weeks leading up to the premier exclusive stills and behind the scenes footage will be available on imeem.  imeem is a next-generation online network for social media, bringing people together through shared creative passions by combining social networking with innovative digital media features and instant messaging. imeem allows people to upload user-created video, audio, photos, and blogs, attracting an independent and diverse community of artists, bands, filmmakers, photographers, DJs, video nuts and fans.

#25 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

It Always Boggled Me Why They only Release 144 Hats When They ARE Trying to Raise Money...

Sell More Hats Man

#26 WHIT BLAZEMORE

WHIT BLAZEMORE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

It Always Boggled Me Why They only Release 144 Hats When They ARE Trying to Raise Money...
Sell More Hats Man

There is a message behind the 144 of each color.

#27 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:16 PM

The Hats Don't Come Bent
You Wouldn't Bend Your Shoes Would You?

Nah but I tie 'em.

Touche, Charlie.....touche.....

That hat is too damn expensive.

#28 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

There is a message behind the 144 of each color.

Which Is?

#29 definitivedoodle

definitivedoodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:54 AM

hats on okayplayer sold out in 15 min, but they only had about 66 total

#30 labeledasabadcharacter

labeledasabadcharacter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

Sorry to have missed that release party for the caps in Toronto. But I wouldn't have been buying one anyway, not at the price they're asking for them. I know it's going to a cause but my pockets ain't that fat that I can be splashing out hundred + $'s for a cap. Besides them New Era caps make me look like a retard. I got a pea head. But it's nice to see that there aren't any up on ebay...yet (ultimately greed will prevail and some fcukers will be auctioning them off at stoopid prices with proceeds going nowhere but they wallets).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users