• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

Ok folks...we had a tie for #48...

TKurata & The Wig Master get to each post up a sample track and lay out their rules for the battle...

Beats are due Friday...ONLY post 'em sooner if you cant do it on Friday for a legit reason.

#2 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Watching the A-Team.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

them again? :blink:

haha, I kid.

#3 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

jayred you can't complain if you didn't vote! kiddin around...but seriously JINESIS why didn't you vote I saw you on there? ...anyway all good thanks for the votes...deja vu...I'll pick something more useful this time. and yeah I claimed victory (tie) at midnight...to avoid controversy...but maybe now I've caused some of my own? who knows...

I'll post sample up in the next hour...

#4 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

No sign of Wig Master so far...so I'm posting 2 samples. Wigs if you are around throw one (or 2) up...lol.

Hopefully a crowd pleaser:

Ronnie Laws & Pressure - Mis' Mary's Place

and another self-indulgent pick...I think these actually work together:

Television - Little Johnny Jewel

Good luck!

#5 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

one room shack

#6 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

are we allowed to lay our own set of keys and bass to these samples or are we limited to using our own drum samples?

#7 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/jinesis

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

Today I will post my views on everyone's beats from friday battle

#8 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

are we allowed to lay our own set of keys and bass to these samples or are we limited to using our own drum samples?

use the same rules from the last battle...i'll post em up in a minute.

there are plenty of bass tones and drums in the samples, though...the focus should be on the samples and outside sources should be limited.

#9 Guest_Drella._*

Guest_Drella._*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Television? Noice. ;)

#10 Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

i actually like the self-indulgent television sample most of all. i kind of wish we didn't have three samples... i know i don't have to end up using all of them, but i feel compelled to listen closely to each one and at least do some preliminary chopping. i started working on a beat for a contest in another forum, and there are five full length sample songs plus tons of drums provided. it gets to be overwhelming. anyway, looking forward to working with this week's samples.

#11 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

yeah, i've gotten in trouble for posting multiple samples before (i posted 4 samples for my first victory) i'm doing my best at compromise. I always love to hear what the crew does to samples from my fave non hip hop artists... I've wanted to mess around with this television song...it has some great stuff in there but kind of limited a bit...so I threw in the laws tune...they go together great.

I figured people could use the drums and bass from the television song instead of as many outside sources. either way I guess I should waited for wigs to post one up. have fun though I can't wait to flip these. sorry to those who don't like multiple samples...if I had it completely my way there would be 6 samples all from different genres...

the best way to ensure you only have one sample in the battles is to win and decide for yourself.

drella c'mon man make a beat outta that television track...

#12 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

REFLECTIONS ON FRIDAY'S BATTLE:

T!LMAN: DOPE BEAT. LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU INCORPORATE A LOT OF THE SAMPLE WITH VARIOUS TRANSITIONS. IN OTHER WORDS... (3 FEET AND RISING!)

THE YOUNGELOHIM9 : COOL BEAT. BUT MADE ME WANT TO GO TO SLEEP! OTHER THAN THAT, EVERYTHING WAS IN PLACE AS FAR AS THE DRUMS AND THE SAMPLE. VERY 80'S

MILKMAN: THE BEAT TOOK TOO LONG TO START! IT WAS OFF BY A BEAT. YOU HAVE GREAT TALENT (CHINESE POP).

OMA1: NICE JOINT, GOOD BOUNCE.

TKURATA: I LIKE THE DRUMS ON THIS BEAT, BUT IT NEEDS A BASELINE ADDED. VERY ALTERNATIVE SOUND.

SUBBASE 49: A VERY NICE BEAT, WITH A VERY NICE START. SYNS WAS VERY WELL PLACED. THE BEAT PUT ME IN THE MIND OF DJ MUGGS/WESTCOAST AS FAR AS SOUND. DOPE BEAT NO CHANGE NECESSARY.

SLEEYPY: THE BEAT MADE ME WANT TO REFLECT ON LIFE. FOR EXAMPLE: VISITING THE OCEAN.

DARREN 1980: WEIRD ENOUGH TO BE ON ACID!

CRALIZ: YOUR BEAT WAS VERY BLAND! LIKE A MEAL PREPARED WITHOUT SEASONING!!

REN: THIS BEAT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THE SAMPLE! IF I WAS A RAPPER, I WOULD TRASH IT!!!

WIGMASTER: TOUGH BEAT. LOVE THE BASELINE! IT SEEMS LIKE YOUR SIGNATURE MOVE IS BASELINE ON MOST OF YOUR JOINTS. IS THAT YOUR CONFORT ZONE?!

OUTLIER: VERY SETTLED BEAT!

FUNKYFUNKY: STRAIGHT WACK ATTACK!!!!

THESE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, IF I WAS TO PICK A WINNER, IT WOULD BE ME! BUT SINCE I CAN'T... THE WINNER IS HANDS DOWN TILLMAN!!
WE WERE GIVEN THREE WAYS OF MAKING A BEAT, TWO SAMPLES TO CHOOSE FROM AND A CHOICE OF ADDING SYNS. THE ONLY THING THAT I
AM NOT IN AGREEMENT WITH DURING THIS BATTLE IS THE FACT THAT WE TOOK AWAY FROM THE POLS AND WE ALLOWED THE SYNS TO BE OUR
DRIVING FORCE. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS MORE CREATIVITY! WITH THE MAIN CHOICE GIVEN. WE HAVE TO REALIZE THAT THIS SITE HAS
OVER 12,000 MEMBERS WITH 100 PAGES OF FRIENDS TO CHOOSE FROM. SO FAR, I'VE REQUESTED OVER 60 PAGES OF FRIENDS AND OUT OF THE 60 ONLY 15 OF THEM ARE ACTIVE! IN OTHER WORDS... WE NEED TO START PROMOTING THE BEAT BATTLE SO IT CAN OPEN UP DOORS FOR EVERYONE WHO'S HUNGRY ENOUGH TO GO FOR IT!!!

THANKS FOR THE LOVE YOU HAVE SHOWN!

new beat up http://www.myspace.com/jinesispro

#13 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

i have no problem bringing the poll back.
as long as the people voting are listening to the entries

#14 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

I was going to say something but I don't want it to start a 5 page argument...It's not about the poll.

#15 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

I was going to say something but I don't want it to start a 5 page argument...It's not about the poll.

hope to see you in this weeks battle

#16 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

hope to see you in this weeks battle

Tried messing with one of the samples and didn't really get anything I liked. I'm going to try though.

#17 Molloy

Molloy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

That Pianoless tune is fantastic TKurata. Mad groove on it.

#18 t!llman

t!llman

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

thanks JINESIS..!!

I don't think that there is any reason that you can't vote for your own beat, other than the fact that it will look a little vain - ha ha...

as far as # of samples posted, you don't have to use them all and if nothing else you have a couple of new songs to fuck around with on the side...though I admit I like the idea of judging everyone's beat off of one single sample.

#19 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

TKURATA: I LIKE THE DRUMS ON THIS BEAT, BUT IT NEEDS A BASELINE ADDED. VERY ALTERNATIVE SOUND.

Thanks for the feedback man. You know, I thought I had a pretty nice bassline in this song...? Maybe you need to turn up the bass another notch in yr system...it's not incredibly clear sounding bass, more textural but there is a definite counter melody thing going on there. Also you should vote really on Saturday, we barely get votes as it is...

That Pianoless tune is fantastic TKurata. Mad groove on it.

Random props...awesome...especially on a cold ass Monday morning. If anybody else wants to hear what he's going on about queue this up and let it ride...lol. Thanks alot man...

I'm bored cough it up. 5 page argument sounds fun let's go.

Another little thing about the whole "one sample" argument. It does allow for a more focused study on how people flip a sample (to have just one selection), but really it's incredibly hard to find a good sample song that has every element needed for a dope beat. ...most samples need some sort of outside source to make a beat that has enough going on to be dope. is this the touchy subject jayred is hinting at...? I know we have had this argument before and some cats are staunchly anti-multi-sample...that's ok with me but again, I really think it's up to the winner(s) to post what they want to work with.

#20 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

Few things:

- The POLL voting has been gotten rid of because there's no way to verify the time at which the votes come in. Therefore when people check it at the end-time and it shows a certain result, and then other people check it later and the result is different, it causes controversy. By voting in a comment, your vote is time-stamped an dyou are held responsible for your vote. It also allows us to end the "ballot box stuffing" practice of people signing up new acounts to add votes to their total. It shouldn't be about wins anyway...the winning aint that serious...it's about challenging yourself to make a dope beat from the given sample(s). Also, the poll limits us to 20 participants. I think we've had a high of 19 people in any one week...and if we are going to keep spreading the word about the battles, there's the chance that the poll wouldn't work anyway.

- Voting for yourself is tacky. If you do that, then fine, but most cats will lose a certain amount of respect for you.

- In regards to multiple samples being posted, I don't mind as long as we keep it in check somewhat. It gives people the option if they're not feeling one, to go with the other. Because of this it keeps participation high. Last week was probably the first time I was really tempted to not turn in a beat because the sample choices just didn't interest me at all...though the YLT sample did have some cool drums and that open vox sample. Not everyone here is like me though in that if they're not really feeling the samples, they wont bother. Personally I think one of the biggest issues is that we keep lots of people participating.

#21 Guest_Drella._*

Guest_Drella._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

drella c'mon man make a beat outta that television track...

Should have chosen "Marquee Moon," I could make a beat out of that. Well, I might make a beat out of it in a few days...watch this space.

#22 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

Should have chosen "Marquee Moon," I could make a beat out of that. Well, I might make a beat out of it in a few days...watch this space.

^^^seems a little too obvious, really. there are really no open breaks, either, cept Verlaine's guitar riff...I was looking for some open drums and bass....but it'd be cool to see what you do to Marquee Moon...I'd rather see you in the battles but who the fckk am I?

Cosign on what Subbass said, although it seemed to me that JENESIS was just joking around about voting for himself. Either way JENESIS you have yet to vote for anybody, officially. Just saying....

#23 Guest_Drella._*

Guest_Drella._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

^^^seems a little too obvious, really. there are really no open breaks, either, cept Verlaine's guitar riff...I was looking for some open drums and bass....but it'd be cool to see what you do to Marquee Moon...I'd rather see you in the battles but who the fckk am I?

There is an open break on the CD version. The song fades out on the LP, but on the CD they come back in again at around 10:00, open drums and everything.

#24 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

I'm bored cough it up. 5 page argument sounds fun let's go.

I forget what I was thinking about at the time. ;) hahaha

#25 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

I think what I was going to say might have been something about this:
"WE NEED TO START PROMOTING THE BEAT BATTLE SO IT CAN OPEN UP DOORS FOR EVERYONE WHO'S HUNGRY ENOUGH TO GO FOR IT!!!"

I'm not really against promoting it, but it's not like there is a prize for anyone who wins. It is really just a couple of us having fun, or am I getting it all wrong, is ST secretly behind the beat battles?WHO IS THE NEXT MADLIB!!?!?!??!! :(

Anyways, no beat from me this week. Couldn't get any love from the samples. haha.

On and about the multiple samples, I like having more than one to choose from.

But anyways...
Posted Image

#26 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

I'm not really against promoting it, but it's not like there is a prize for anyone who wins. It is really just a couple of us having fun, or am I getting it all wrong, is ST secretly behind the beat battles?WHO IS THE NEXT MADLIB!!?!?!??!! ;)

I'd have to agree. It's great to have new sounds in here every week, but if the battles do grow beyond, say, 20 entries, it would take forever to judge them fairly every week. I think battles that have mass entries have longer deadlines and some even have tournament style matches...i think the way it's been going has been pretty great, lots of dope sounds (last week seemed to fall of a step but probably due to poor sample choice on my part, possibly again this week, lol) and feedback. main thing is all the great feedback. That's the #1 reason I'm here...followed by the challenge and just having fun.

Somebody said it recently in another thread about how underground hip hop is mainly about the love of music, and less about competition and/or money... so while I appreciate the enthusiasm by jenesis I really don't want this thread to be invaded by a few dozen more beat heads.....but i could be wrong it could be dope. i guess it would be cool to hear what more people think but i like the breed of beat maker in here that naturally came to this forum outta love for ST.

doesn't look like the battles are gettin crowded this week anyway....first post since Monday or sumthin.

#27 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

There is an open break on the CD version. The song fades out on the LP, but on the CD they come back in again at around 10:00, open drums and everything.

Ahhhh...nice find. right you are! there's still alot more open ish overall in little johnny jewel...anyway...

So if I someone ever chooses a sample off of this record:

Posted Image

...you would pretty much have to join the battles that week...eh?

#28 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

Its going to 12am soon lol and you can put me in front of any sample and will make a hot beat out it.

#29 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

thanks JINESIS..!!

I don't think that there is any reason that you can't vote for your own beat, other than the fact that it will look a little vain - ha ha...

as far as # of samples posted, you don't have to use them all and if nothing else you have a couple of new songs to fuck around with on the side...though I admit I like the idea of judging everyone's beat off of one single sample.

judging off one sample show's who is really creative lol

#30 JINESIS

JINESIS

Beat Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

ronnie 7jewel or http://www.myspace.com/jinesisnyc

I took 2 samples enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic