Photo

MELVIN VAN PEEBLES & MADLIB BRER SOUL MEETS LORD QUAS : what happened to this?!?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 capn'_o.gee_readmore

capn'_o.gee_readmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

I received this info. bit inside of an email message that was sent from Stones Throw in June of 2005. As far as I know, it was never released. Am I wrong? If not, what happened, was it cancelled or is the project held back for now?

Anyone have any additional info., besides the following excerpt below of the fore mentioned email message?

" MELVIN VAN PEEBLES & MADLIB BRER SOUL MEETS LORD QUAS

Melvin Van Peebles - filmmaker, author, playwright, and ... believe it or not, newest Stones Throw recording artist. Last night in Los Angeles, Melvin Van Peebles publicly announced his next project - a double album with Madlib to be released on Stones Throw. The first half of the album will be his own "Brer Soul Meets Quasimoto" and the second half will be the Madlib Invazion remix. This is being planned a 2 disc set released together in one package.

Mr. Van Peebles was in Los Angeles for an LA Film Festival screening of a new documentary covering his life story, "How to Eat Your Watermelon in White Company (and Enjoy It)". He has recorded several albums released on A&M, Stax, and Capitol Records, worked as a journalist in France, cable car conductor in San Francisco, a trader on the floor of the new York Stock Exchange, but he's perhaps best known for his landmark film, "Sweet Sweetback's Baadasss Song" (1971). The making of "Sweetback" was fictionalized recently in his son Mario Van Peebles' film "Baadasssss!".

Madlib is no stranger to remixing the voice of Melvin Van Peebles. If you've ever wondered who that guy is howling in the cuts of all those Quasimoto songs, we'll give you one guess. Release date and track list for the Van Peebles/Madlib project will be coming later this summer at http://www.stonesthrow.com/ "

#2 GoosDiff

GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC!

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally, somebody (other than me) who cares about this project. when madlib came to NY in october of last year, i asked him when this was gonna drop and he said this year. ST were probably presented with other opportunities and they never did say when they were gonna release it but still man.... as u can see, we haven't forgotten about it...

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

why does your sig say 'jeff jank keeps ignoring me'?? is he? do you care? :D

#4 kdubs

kdubs

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

i heard quas hit it with van peeb's wife so they havent been talkin much.....

#5 GoosDiff

GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

why does your sig say 'jeff jank keeps ignoring me'?? is he? do you care? :huh:

he probably isn't, but in the past i've asked impotant shit and received NO answer. not questions like what brand of underwear madlib wears, but serious questions and i got NO response. so is he ignoring me?? i doubt it. do i care? yes i do. if i ask a question, and it's not bullshit, if it's possible, i'd like an answer. so that's y my sig says "jeff jank keeps ignoring me" lol

#6 Afro Harping

Afro Harping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

I was wondering about this also.

#7 geewon001

geewon001

Funky Psychic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Location:Detroit; "Tha Dee"; Motown; Murda Mitten; Dirty Glove; Iron Fist

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hey, everyone who is interested? I just got back from the Detroit 'Chrome Children' tour show, and on the way out I had the chance to speak with Peanut Butter Wolf, while he signed my tour shirt and took a pic with me. Anyways, I asked P.B.W. about the Melvin Van Peebles x Madlib/Quasimoto project, was it ever coming out, what happened? And, he said that, "Melvin Van Peebles did not give enough acapellas necessary to do the album."...So, I then asked, "...Well, does this mean that the project is cancelled and he said, "Yeah, I guess that it is for now." That was it for our conversation, and I left towards home.

So I guess P.B.W. and that answers it. The project is both, cancelled and will be on hold until the future permits.

I have hope that this album will still be released. They need to work this out.

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,504 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:31 AM

he probably isn't, but in the past i've asked impotant shit and received NO answer. not questions like what brand of underwear madlib wears, but serious questions and i got NO response. so is he ignoring me?? i doubt it. do i care? yes i do. if i ask a question, and it's not bullshit, if it's possible, i'd like an answer. so that's y my sig says "jeff jank keeps ignoring me" lol

wicked!

ok il have a word with jeff and tell him not to ignore you any longer

p.s

what brand of underwear does madlib wear?

#9 GoosDiff

GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hey, everyone who is interested? I just got back from the Detroit 'Chrome Children' tour show, and on the way out I had the chance to speak with Peanut Butter Wolf, while he signed my tour shirt and took a pic with me. Anyways, I asked P.B.W. about the Melvin Van Peebles x Madlib/Quasimoto project, was it ever coming out, what happened? And, he said that, "Melvin Van Peebles did not give enough acapellas necessary to do the album."...So, I then asked, "...Well, does this mean that the project is cancelled and he said, "Yeah, I guess that it is for now." That was it for our conversation, and I left towards home.

So I guess P.B.W. and that answers it. The project is both, cancelled and will be on hold until the future permits.

I have hope that this album will still be released. They need to work this out.

FUCK!!!! i guess that's it then. but it CAN get worked out so that's probably the positive right??

#10 jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

STMB Hooligan/Ne'er-do-well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Jeff has answered all my inane questions, he's good people...

HOLLA!

#11 yasharwan

yasharwan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I HEARD MELVIN CAME INTO THE STUDIO WITH NO SHIRT ON AND IT BUGGED LORD QUAS OUT, MADLIB TRIED TO REASON WITH MELVIN TO PUT A SHIRT ON BUT HE BECAME UNREASONABLY LOUD AND GOT KICKED OUT THE STUDIO....

#12 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

it comes out after surpreme team.

#13 E.Powers

E.Powers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Finding weird ish inside record covers.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

I actually got my hopes up a bit when I saw this thread resurface, alas it was all a bunch of ......

#14 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

But didn't Egon just announce in a recent interview that a quas 3 was happening?? i think i even read it here in the forums somewhere.

#15 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,018 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

But didn't Egon just announce in a recent interview that a quas 3 was happening?? i think i even read it here in the forums somewhere.

Nope.

(Egon) drops the following quote: "it features Melvin Van Peebles, who of course was the basis of the Quasimoto TRILOGY with Madlib and the Quasimoto character."

#16 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Nope.

awww yep. i got it twisted. shit. well..... shit

#17 warrensid

warrensid

STMB Official