• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Design

DJ Design

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

I just wanted to let y'all know that this shit was years in the making. I met AG in 1995 when I was living in Seattle. I was living out there for about a year, just a change of scenery from the bay and wanted to branch out. Things were really good out there at that time, it was a small community where hip-hop was concerned and DJ Supreme and B-Mello were pretty much the Kings of Seattle. Still are really. I used to dig around at various shops on Capitol Hill, and around U-Dub and the craziest thing I saw back then was when Supreme had these stickers he made that he'd put on some of the records in the bins which said "Supreme already dug here" or something like that. It just made you feel like you wasted time diggin there. Funny shit though.

Anyhow, I was living out there and doing record reviews for a 'zine called Flavor Magazine which was a newsprint type of mag that was really ahead of it's time. They were very underground and had so many good interviews and writers, it's too bad it never caught on. It actually shared office space with another magazine that was trying to break called XLR8R. That was a rave magazine at the time. I used to walk by and say what's up, but that was about it. I had no idea what it was going to become years later.

So, at one point I managed to do some club promotion. I met this girl who ran a club called the Rock Candy (dunno if that still exists), and told her I wanted to do a show with some rappers from the Bronx. I was going crazy over the Show & AG 12" called Next Level, and wanted them to perform in Seattle. Even though there wasn't a huge amount of interest, mostly just the heads. We were a tight knit group. I ended up reaching out to them, basically by calling a number on the single. We set up a date, the group was going to come out along with Roc Raida, who was their DJ at the time, a tour manager, and Party Arty, their moral support, and MC. He was 17 at the time. So, after getting all the contracts signed, plane tix purchased, hotels booked etc.. we ran into a very big problem. "Show ain't comin'" said the tour manager.
"Oh, what's up?" "He can't make it. Also, the tour manager can't make it either, your going to need to change up some tix, add Wally World, instead of Show, and add me instead of the tour manager". Remember at the time it was Show and AG, not just AG. And the real deal as to what the circumstances were are pretty much "let's keep this on the low", shit.

So, the crew ends up coming out amid the rumors swirling around Seattle. Most people thought it was cancelled because Show couldn't make it. Also in the line-up was PB Wolf, who I was a good friend of so, boom, he's gotta be there and a group from the bay which I knew pretty well called the Homeliss Derilex.
At the time I thought 50 grand to be the greatest MC unsigned. Later he went on to do some 12"s with STH.
Oh, There weren't any difficulties flying these guys out.

So, the show went well but due to the circumstances there was definately tension in the crowd. Grand got into a scuffle with some heckler who wouldn't shut up. And I lost money on the show, but still we "did for the love!"

The next time I ran into AG was at a Fat Beats anniversary show. It was a really big event in LA and even Big L was to perform. But he ended up shot and killed. And who was the replacement? Foreign Legion.
I was backstage when I ran into AG and Arty. "Yo! remember me?" They remembered well, and we all gave hip-hop hugs. Arty wanted to go buy a bottle of Jack and so I quickly pulled a twenty out and asked for the same. I said "here's a twenty, but bring me back my fuckin' change" (obsure Showbiz lyric) And luckily he got the reference.

"Marc Stretch had Prozack in his fuckin' backpack! On stage, rapping!" What? That was the night we performed again with some crazy stage show so that "they'll remember this shit". From the DJ table, I though the reaction was mixed. But that was the night I met Lorrie Boula (Z-Trip Mgr.) She wanted to manage us on the spot. Cut Chemist said, "you guys stole the show with that shit" I agreed. It was because of the sheer strength of Marc Stretch holding Prozack in his back-pack (a large on at that) and rapping a whole fucking verse and then turning around exposing Zack to the crowd, then him doing his verse while Stretch stood in a B-Boy stance, arms crossed mic in hand? WTF? That's some funny shit.

I'll finish this later. Gotta go to NYC tomorrow. 11am flight.

Oh and if you out in NYC check out Prince Paul at BB Kings along with AG and me. It's on Haloween.
Happy 31st!

DJD

Attached Files

• Attached File  AG95.jpg   99.93KB   68 downloads

#2 lib

lib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

how is this album? thinking of copping next week. thanks

#3 bb_double

bb_double

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:u

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

neato.....pretty intersting stuff

i really like 50 grand would be nice to see homeless derilex get a proper release on stonesthrow or your look recs

is their any video from that show with prozack in the backpack? it would be cool to see somethin on youtube

i picked up the a.g. 12" it is really good glad to see all the stonesthrow related people on it , lib, dilla, design, cooley the album looks like it should be really good your label looks like it has few really good releases comin out
best of luck

#4 Just

Just

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

btw,

This was Album of the month in germanys biggest hh magazine "Juice"

#5 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

yeah ive heard a few tracks, good stuff...the dilla track is killin it. :D

#6 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

How come I ain't heard about this???

Damn, am I that much out the loop?

#7 A. Spooner

A. Spooner

Rookie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:57 AM

This is a bad ass album, when does the vinyl drop?

#8 DJ Design

DJ Design

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

This is a bad ass album, when does the vinyl drop?

The Album drops on Haloween.

BB_Double, their isn't any film of the Backpack show that I know of.

The Prince Paul and friends show has officially sold out!! AG will be doing an instore at Fat Beats on Haloween also, I think between 4-6pm.

Ran into Common last night at Habano? it's a Cuban joint that is known for their corn on the cob. Delicious! And gave him a flyer. He said he loves AG. That's whatsup!

DJD

#9 envy sible

envy sible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:08 AM

this is gonna be a dope lp. madlibs beats on there're straight fire..

i made a remix of 'frozen' by the way... download mp3

#10 beatnut

beatnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

the dilla beat is on the tape rounds. average 12"

not sure andre will bring the noise on the lp

#11 Klay Doe

Klay Doe

STMB's Special Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

Maybe I need to listen to it again, but I wasn't greatly impressed. A Couple good tracks, the rest are "filler joints"....

#12 Mazz

Mazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Goodfellas was the shit!

Big props to Look Records on this release... A friend passed me the promo and I'm feeling it.

Design, do you have distribution in Aus? I really want to support AG. I may end up just ordering it from one of the many sites, but I think there'd be an audience for this album out here. Anyway, Poppin Pockets 12" is bangin' - hell, so is FL with Happy Drunk. Keep up the good stuff D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users