Photo
- - - - -

STMB Beat Battle #46 VOTING THREAD

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Battle #46 VOTE (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Payola unwelcome

1. T!llman (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Uncle Remus (9 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. TKurata (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. cralias (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. SubBass49 (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. Areou (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

7. DeezSteez (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

8. The Wig Master (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. sugoisounds (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

T!llman - Slumber Freak...sounded pretty good but those short chops didn't really do anything for me. repetitive. the vox helped out later on.
good listen. Token of Filth turned out better..nice heavy vibe. I like the muffled snare. the second half samples are kinda disconnected a bit.
Overall I enjoyed both beats--has anyone pointed out that you are supposed to submit one track only? Next time you could try blending the
samples...always a fun and challenging exercise.

Uncle Remus - well you deserve all the votes, shit is awesome. i love the filters you used on the trombone bits and the bass work is really just dope. Does it sound contrived? if it does sound a little "standard" that is overshadowed by the perfect vibe and feel of this beat, and the way it
holds the theme while constantly evolving and staying interesting. ...please post some more music on myspace, hip hop or otherwise.

TKurata - I don't usually leave self-feed but I am pretty happy with the mixdown for this...especially for the myspace player. I feel like i'm
sort of breaking new ground for myself with this mix. Besides that I agree with Remus' critique of my beat it was spot on, thanks.

cralias
- Lots of open space in this beat. Doesn't really get my head moving but the drum programming is pretty tight. those squirts of flanger
noises are pretty cool. second part didn't do it for me...props for the orignal sound, though. the beat really needed something low to anchor
it...

SubBass - way to go, man...this shit is awesome. the distortion is pretty sweet. that kick you use...are you ever gonna switch it up? I guess you are going for a specific style to tie all your beats together and that's understandable. Is that why you use that same sampled voice always, too?
Listening outside of headphones now I wish the mech sounds were more prominent in the mix. Overall the I'm impressed by the sound of this but it's still a Subbass beat thru and thru. Good work man...

Areou - intro...hmmm...uh...ok here we go. ok it's got my head moving but...the flanger on the sample isn't doing it for me. I feel like the
drums could hit harder. that 16th hat thing is not my thing. anyway I like how varied the drums are. whoa that synth threw me. sorry for all the
neg ..I really like the swinging feel.

DeezSteez - yeah you know how to mix. this beat jumps off the myspace player perfectly. thanks alot for out Track 3'ing me... :unsure: great job with the acappella. That wobbly bassline is really good. this shit is really well crafted. I like the outtro too, makes mine sound straight wack. The variation of the drum loops adds real character to this beat. I'm loving this one, man.

The Wig Master - you've got this crazy style, man. this time it worked for me, really tripped out vibe everything pretty much worked and that is kind of miraculous. In a way i feel you like stabbed bits from the samples over a stock Wigmaster beat. i still feel like you are using the same kits over and over, i'd like to hear something completely different from you...but this piece is really cooool --- I've listened to it about a half dozen
times.

sugoisounds - damn how'd you get this to be so loud? those drums really snap hard! I downloaded this this and loaded it into my editor out of
curiosity...it's so fuggin loud! It didn't look clipped or smashed...don't get me wrong, I really like it. Nice swing to the samples...I wish
the bassline and the drums were balanced a little better. Also the vox are pumping outta my right channel very prominently, would have like to
have had a more central or panned sound to them...so does that drop.io website have a player setting called "Really Fucking Loud" or something? Quality work man, top 3.

Ok so this has been a really great week, the feedback has been really good and we've got great new sounds and new voters. Thanks to everyone who submitted, voted, and left feed...

I'm going to have to go with BeezKneez for my vote...perfect mix, complex drums, nice flow on the acappella...wicked wobble on the bassline.
great work man. 2nd place to Sub, Remus, and sugoi.

Thanks to Zombie Apocalypse, SubBass, Bill Collector, Tone, Remus, and t!llman for the feedback and/or props.

So where are AeorosolBreath, Bill Collector (thanks for the vote), and Tone? I'm missing your sounds...

#32 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

to zombie- didn't mean everything has to sound abstract, just don't quantize too much. funk is first and foremost

to sub- agreed. had a bunch more kicks in there but took em out at the last minute cause they were too noisy. used drums from pencilface's new mix but i gotta go back and just take the clean hits

to bill c- noted. like the av :unsure:

to remus- your review gets 5 stars. wish i knew keys and stuff better--definitely can hear that music training in your track. great structure and arranging. put some more stuff up... didn't want mine to sound so sparse but like i said earlier with the kicks, and i just couldn't find a dope synth pad or anything else to fill up more space. thought i filtered the drums out of those longer samples enough but i guess not. will try to chop them up more

to t!ll- basically its drag the track into garageband, listen to it all the way through if i'm really feeling it, or if it's wack just start going through and taking every note or hit or phrase that sounds dope when repeated alone or just looped up by itself, taking all those bits and messing with their order in a 2 or 4 bar loop with some drums, add a bass and some synths or whatever, copy the 2 or 4 bars out to a minute or so, then go back and move stuff around so its not just the same exact 2 bars repeating the whole time, then maybe try to come up with some kind of hook or change-ups

to TK- when you say "kit" do you mean the pattern or the actual drum sounds? cause i haven't used this sample from the pencilface mix yet. its usually just garageband drums. but yeah i need to stop using the same patterns all the time

#33 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

My vote's in. I'll try to get to posting some more complete crits in a while, but here's a couple quick comments...

It was a tight one between Sub and Uncle Remus... Remus had some amazing reworking going on there (as previously mentioned), great job! But Sub won me over for overall feeling more like a complete song. Like Remus' was a beat looking for a vocalist, but Sub's was a beat that already had a vocalist, and I was just hearing the instrumental. There weren't a lot of change ups, but those that were there were in pretty much just the right places to keep me following right along... only thing Sub, I think it could have been a little shorter, like move that vocal break that happens around 2:30 up to somewhere between 1:30 and 2:00, and be out by 3:10-3:20...

t!llman - Excellent start, I'm liking Slumber Freak better than Token of Filth, Token starts to plod on after a while, but it might work with a vocal over it... as far as the comments about the drums, you know, default sounds can work if you mess with them... pitch 'em up or down, eq the hell out of 'em, layering... any sound can be a starting point to try and get to the sound you want. The thing is, the more sounds you have as basic building blocks, the more likely you are to have a sound that's close to the one you're trying to make. And yeah, as a general rule, default sounds aren't always the greatest. So it behooves you as a producer to get as many sounds as possible, by any means necessary...

TKurata - Great old school feel! :unsure: Diggin' the funk... like the change when the vocal comes... the one thing I'm not into is later in the vocal you get all choppy with the sample, and I think it distracts from following the flow of the vocal... nice one, though!

sugoisounds - Also nice start. Kick definitely needs some balls though.

#34 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

So where are AeorosolBreath, Bill Collector (thanks for the vote), and Tone? I'm missing your sounds...

I really like the samples, but I've been either hung over or mad sick this entire week, but still wanted to be able to crank out some Spacebound-remixes...it would've been too much to do both :unsure:

Maybe next week, íf I like Remus sample song ;D

#35 Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

it's not midnight yet but i'm going to go ahead and start the thread for 47. it's bending the rules a little :unsure: but they're there to be bent... i think somebody told me that once...

#36 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

you say you vote for Sub, but yet he's received no votes -- what gives..?!?! ha ha

lol...noticed that too, but I aint gonna win anyway so no biggie...lol

#37 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Congrats to Uncle Remus for the win!

Try to post up your sample track as early as possible so cats can get a Sunday start on it.

Look forward to hearing your pick.

#38 Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

done. thanks again to everybody. have fun with this one...

#39 sugoisounds

sugoisounds

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Soundcloud:sugoisounds

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:56 AM

sugoisounds - damn how'd you get this to be so loud?

reason combinator, default set-up, compressor @ 9 o'clock, master gain 3 o'clock, over everything
took out everything below 20hz, then 'low rumble' 80 hz in soundforge

Re: panning etc, this was a bit of a rush job on friday night, so no time but thx (and thx to everyone else for feedback, too)

#40 chillo

chillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

well. uncle remus is a racist caricature created by some white dude named harris who spent some time on a plantation and ended up publishing, as his own work, a collection of folktales from the african-american oral tradition. in turn, i'm some white dude named wasserman who, in his foray into hip hop, is appropriating an african-american idiom to express himself. this white dude is keenly aware of that fact, and also likes a bit of irony, so that, chill'un, is how the leopard got his spots...

anyway, this is just a message board username. if i ever sell any beats, though, i'll be sure to stay away from the racially charged monikers.

EDIT: i'd be interested in your advice, too... how could i add character to my beat or make it sound less contrived? i'm here to learn.

I'm an African American who's aka is Burt Wasserman. Holla

#41 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

reason combinator, default set-up, compressor @ 9 o'clock, master gain 3 o'clock, over everything
took out everything below 20hz, then 'low rumble' 80 hz in soundforge

Re: panning etc, this was a bit of a rush job on friday night, so no time but thx (and thx to everyone else for feedback, too)

Gotcha man...interesting sound...shit woke me up.

to TK- when you say "kit" do you mean the pattern or the actual drum sounds? cause i haven't used this sample from the pencilface mix yet. its usually just garageband drums. but yeah i need to stop using the same patterns all the time

Your patterns yes...it seems like you are using a lot of the same actual drums though, maybe because of the way you layer them. Npt really sure.

TKurata - Great old school feel! :angry: Diggin' the funk... like the change when the vocal comes... the one thing I'm not into is later in the vocal you get all choppy with the sample, and I think it distracts from following the flow of the vocal... nice one, though!

Thanks man...yeah that one loop in there gave me problems...the one you guys are talking about...I had it in the track a lot more and had scaled it back. Should have just chopped it out completely...

#42 catfish and grits

catfish and grits

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

well. uncle remus is a racist caricature created by some white dude named harris who spent some time on a plantation and ended up publishing, as his own work, a collection of folktales from the african-american oral tradition. in turn, i'm some white dude named wasserman who, in his foray into hip hop, is appropriating an african-american idiom to express himself. this white dude is keenly aware of that fact, and also likes a bit of irony, so that, chill'un, is how the leopard got his spots...

anyway, this is just a message board username. if i ever sell any beats, though, i'll be sure to stay away from the racially charged monikers.

EDIT: i'd be interested in your advice, too... how could i add character to my beat or make it sound less contrived? i'm here to learn.

well, not advice, more like...opinion. to me, hip hop is intrinsically an offbeat music style because it started with the manipulation of recorded music via vinyl records...like, listen to "PSK.." by Schooly D. The way the drums are sort of off a bit gives it a certain post-modern character. I don't know for a fact that he's playing them as he's rapping, but whatever the case, early rap was generally offbeat. Listen to early EPMD...or the way producers would stack 3 drum breaks on top of each other and then an 808 bottom. Check "Talking all that Jazz" by Stetasonic. Classic. But...not so much that it's noticable, but enough that it sets it apart from perfection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users