Photo
- - - - -

STMB Beat Battle 45 VOTING THREAD

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who did the best this week?

1. SubBass49 (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. The Wig Master (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. mattestall (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Josh G (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. 2 Mellow (1 votes [6.25%])

6. theyoungelohim9 (1 votes [6.25%])

7. django (1 votes [6.25%])

8. DeezSteez (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

OK folks...not as many people in the pot this week...chalk it up to the holidays...but you can still vote.

For those that didn't know, there was an optional acapella this week...so if you hear voices, they're not in your head.

The Re-Cap:

SubBass49
The Wig Master
mattestall
Josh G
2 Mellow
theyoungelohim9
django
DeezSteez

Double check to make sure I got your links correct and that I included everyone.

Voting takes place in the poll at the top of the screen...

Feedback (positive, negative, etc) goes in the thread.

Remember...feedback helps us grow as artists, so give if you can.

Voting takes place until midnight Eastern Standard (US East Coast) time...

Oh...and don't vote for your own track...spread the love a bit...

Winner posts the sample and a new battle starts tomorrow.

#2 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

Here's my feedback/reviews...

Keep in mind I type these AS I LISTEN...so shit might change up...I might miss things while I type about other things...stuff like that.

SubBass49 - Not too many variations...I like what I did with bringing in the different synth work over the sample just enough to guide the beat and add some more melody...feel like I couldn't get the vocal timing perfect on the intro hook though...oh well...I like how it turned out...think I'll challenge myself with lots of changes for next battle...but we'll see...

The Wig Master - Like that wobbling bass...nice stuff...the sparse chopping of the vocals was dope...fits your style...this would make a nice interlude on an album...or work well on a mixtape of Guilty tracks...

mattestall - you got the wobbling synth thing goin' too...little more fuzz on it though...nice work with the vox...good emphasis pauses...not really feelin the quick left-right fades towards the end though...kinda threw me off after the rest of the track...unless that was your intention, in which case...nice work! lol

Josh G - like that kick sample...heavy shit...sparse sample use...nice stuff though...woulda like the stuff (synth?) in the left channel to come up in the mix though...feel like that coulda been pretty dope if ya turned it up a notch or two...still a good track though...no doubt bout that.

2 Mellow - bit of a faster take on the track...nice...not too sure about the strings(?) scale at the beginning of the 1st verse...you have good pauses for emphasis though...the little sine synth deal was nice though...like the extra percussion in the outro...

theyoungelohim9 - interesting dialogue sample...HEAVY beat man...that intro is intimidating!!!...I think it's the fast claps...and the percussion in the left channel...keep expecting the vox to drop in though...woulda been a fun one to hear the acapella on...you gonna do a vocal version at some point?

django - kinda lo-volume...got some nice stuff happening though...chops-wise it's pretty dope...have you messed around with compression on your track at all? Might help with the overall sound...like the change-up when you bring in Guilty's vox..that shit really makes the track right there! Good use of the vocals and good chopping...this'd make a dope track for someone to flow on...

DeezSteez - nice snare rolls...nice hat rolls too...a little excessive on the hat rolls at some points...but I dig it still...amped-up beat...this week's sample was great for that...big ups to Aeorosol...the string bit that you used for emphasis is only in my right channel...might have a bit more power if you get it over in the left channel too...or maybe that's just my crappy monitors...lol...could be either way...

Anyway ya'll...there's my feedback...but hit us up with yours as well...every little bit helps.

I'm gonna vote later when I have a chance to listen a few more times...there's some dope stuff goin' on in more than a few tracks, and I really hafta think about my vote...

Peace.

#3 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

i vote for wig that shit was fuckin fire

#4 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

ok mine was between the following entries subbass,2 mellow and wigmaster

gonna have to go with the wig though

well done young man

#5 AeorosolBreath

AeorosolBreath

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, books, art, drugs, stuff...

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

i voted for wig, thought it was great

#6 JustAnotherDj

JustAnotherDj

noone special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

sorry if i voted too late, this time dif confuses me. SB49 for me though

#7 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

sorry if i voted too late, this time dif confuses me. SB49 for me though

Thanks for the vote...and no worries...it's still Saturday on the US East Coast...for about another 7 and a half hours..

#8 Tone

Tone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

I vote young elohim! That was a heavy groove! you kicked it different than most this week, very nice

#9 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

I vote Subbass --

sorry no time for feed or anything...happy new year e;ryone.

#10 theyoungelohim9

theyoungelohim9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

I vote young elohim! That was a heavy groove! you kicked it different than most this week, very nice

that's much appreciated lol thanks...

my hat's off to the entries, i'm amazed every week. word!

#11 Friies

Friies

STMB Mayonnaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:music and other stuff

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

subbass for me, nice drums.

#12 Mr SS

Mr SS

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

gotta go wit wigs this time. folks brought the heat on this one

#13 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Beats Teeshirts & MaryJane

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

...wig
though mello's was nice.

#14 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Finally decided that Django gets my vote...love what ya did with the vocal chopping...I think it deserves some props...

PS - Thanks for the votes to those that picked mine... :)

#15 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

wow sub funny you liked the vocals...thats like the last thing i added real quick after i realized i cant sync the whole acapella...thanks man
dunno really what you said about compression (maybe i do actually...im not sure), im not really familiar with the world of sound and all that i just love to make beats...i'd love it if you could give me some tips to make my sound as clean and professional as yours...
anyway, here are some reviews i wont really go into details..
sub - loved it...fit the acapella perfectly, i like the intro this is just a track produced i can easily get that in the stores...
wig - more my style...i just fuckin LOVE THAT SHIT...an amazing piece of work, i find myself singing your beats in my head to myself during the day.....if you let me id burn that shit and play it in my car... anyway loved the way you twisted the samples....and how you cut the vocals, perfect
matt - liked how you played with the sample, really nice beat, although maybe the acaplla was too quiet? the volumes of the some of the channels are kinda on and off but in general i like it
josh - i like it, its pretty simple but does the job with the vocals
2 - sounds ok but not really my style...kinda fast and loaded, sample i think maybe too quite but i like how the beat keeps changing and doesnt repeat it self too much
youngelohim - love it man...the intro and vocals are great, maybe abit too loud compared to the beat itself...the heavy sound goes along with the sample just right...maybe doesnt change much but still love it
me - it did came out low volume i really struggled with the eqing and whatever....but i still like it....
deez - nice beat overall...something was weird with the hihats maybe too loud but i like the drums...and the sample use as well..

favorites are sub wig and youngelohim....tough choice...

#16 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

numbah 45... hey, we didn't get any wiki trivia about 45 this week, did we? damn you big ern! :)

the round up:

SubBass49 - heavy track... already said how i liked the rolls, and how you changed the emphasis on the vocal... the synths are great, they sit nice in the mix, and that's a nice little progression... as far as changes / lack of changes, i think it works really well the way it is, you were right to go with your intuition on that. but that's kinda exactly what i was saying in the other thread - feel it. you made your track, listened to it, and didn't feel any more changes necessary, so, done.

The Wig Master - another heavy one... that bass is great... i like the sparse sample drops... dope rhythm and nice odd percussion sounds... great track except i felt like it meandered around a little too much for me, i was wanting to hear some longer but recognizable pattern emerge from out of there...

mattestall - ahh, and another one... great groove... but you kind of lose me when you bring the vocal in and start changing the beat up... i think the vocal kind of detracts from the song, actually... i would have liked to hear the beginning groove just chugging along, bring those strings in at some point but without really changing up the groove, and just dub it out...

Josh G - nice... that distorted sample is amazing but it has to be louder in the mix... and a bassline would be nice to help tie together the minimal drums... drums work, but maybe could pop a little bit more somehow... definitely had my head nodding... that distortion bit is tripped out, i love it...

2 Mellow - a stomper, picking up the pace a little, nice... hmm, we had a little discussion last week about changes in songs, and to me you put in a few too many... it sounds like the beat is going through movements on it's own that aren't really connected to the vocal... i think it would have worked well if you chose just one of those other things you threw in there, like that flutey synth, and worked that on and off against the original sample... you do it for a second at the end there... but i think that the cycling through such different parts just makes the song sound disjointed...

theyoungelohim9 - whoa dude! that's a pretty crazy track... i don't really have anything to say about it... it's out there, and i like it... if i had to say one thing critical about it it would just be a minor thing about the claps... well, i don't even know if it's really the fault of the claps, but i kind of hear the claps as being a bit late... maybe has to do with the sloppyness (nice sloppyness) of the sound? or that it also sounds like the sample is rushing just a little bit? i don't know... just feel like something is a bit off on the swing of the whole thing...

django - another heavy one... this sample just lent itself to heaviness, eh? drums are cool, i feel you on the verbed out snare, but i think the snare sound is a little weak, needs a little more pop leading into that reverb... nice vocal chops, and i like how you change up the beat for the vocals, works very well... the one other thing is that i like the horns in there, but i feel like there must be a way to use them a little more effectively... maybe put them in just before the vocals? that way, rather than coming down from the horns and plateauing in the groove before the vocal break drops, you come off that high from the horns right into the vocal break... or coming out of the vocal break right into some intense horns... or really working on trying to force some other phrase out of them... i dunno, something like that?

DeezSteez - meh. sub i hear you on the too many rolls... my intention was to make it busy and frantic, don't know if i really pulled it off...

top dogs this week were sub and wigs, mentions to matt for the dubby groove, josh g for that distortion sound, and youngelohim for just straight weirdness...

vote goes to sub - all around tight track, man!

#17 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

2 - ........ i like how the beat keeps changing and doesnt repeat it self too much

2 Mellow - ...... i think that the cycling through such different parts just makes the song sound disjointed...

:) :D This board f'ing rules!

#18 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

Well kids, at the voting deadline it appears to be a tie between Wig Master and me...

Shall we both post a sample?

Shall we try to do a remix battle (as suggested in the Spacebound thread)?

suggestions?

#19 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Now after the deadline someone has added a vote for Wigmaster...

wtf to do now...

#20 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

I knew there had to be a drawback to using the poll...you cant shut down voting at the deadline.

But since I have a stake in the outcome, I'm not gonna be the one to decide what happens.

BigErn - As the battle thread starter, why don't you decide what to do. Honor the tied vote at the deadline or honor the late vote that came in at some point after that. Either way, I'll accept the decision.

#21 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

i vote tie. neutral on the spaceboud remix. (i was gonna do one anyway, whether or not it's included in the battle...)

#22 sera#1

sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:02 AM

Well kids, at the voting deadline it appears to be a tie between Wig Master and me...

Shall we both post a sample?

Shall we try to do a remix battle (as suggested in the Spacebound thread)?

suggestions?

i thought the official timezone is the one from this board. you wrote this message at 9:01pm.

in the past i submitted some beats after the deadline then?

whats the official timezone for the battle?

we should define that, once and for all, votes after the deadline won't be counted. what do you think?

#23 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

We've been saying Eastern Standard time (US east coast)...

http://www.stonesthr...n...ost&p=83200

#24 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'll start the battle thread for #46...

#25 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:48 AM

django have you messed around with compression on your track at all?

hey man only if you can, expand just a little bit about this compression?

#26 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

If you're using FL Studio it's pretty easy.

You go to the mixer, and on the "Main" mixer track, select Fruity Compressor...

Then, in the compressor you can select the preset of "Fast Master" and it will bring your track out a lot.

Once you do that, start working on compressing individual instruments and samples in the other mixer channels...play with it a bit to find the sounds you like...but I gotta tell ya, it makes your tracks sound more pro pretty quickly...

#27 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

django- thanks. go ahead and burn those for your whippage. btw, adding a compressor to your master track is a good way to blend samples from diff sources

deez- thanks for the criticism. less meandering in the future

#28 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

btw, adding a compressor to your master track is a good way to blend samples from diff sources

And much respect goes to you for your ability to do that btw...it's not easy to do well.

#29 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

i actually usually just use a peak limiter on the mater track in garageband

#30 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

i actually usually just use a peak limiter on the mater track in garageband

I've never used Garageband before, so I'll take your word for it! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users