Photo
- - - - -

STMB Beat Battle 44 VOTING THREAD

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins?

1. Cuba 140 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Areou (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. cralias (1 votes [5.26%])

4. django (1 votes [5.26%])

5. Friies (1 votes [5.26%])

6. DeezSteez (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. SubBass49 (1 votes [5.26%])

8. TKurata (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

9. AeorosolBreath (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

10. The Wig Master (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

Lets do this.

One vote per person...vote in the poll, feedback in the thread.

Winner posts the sample for the next battle...

THE RE-CAP

Cuba 140
Areou
cralias
django
Friies
DeezSteez
SubBass49
TKurata
AeorosolBreath
The Wig Master (late...but that's cool I guess)

So yeah...take your pick and leave feedback (positives and things to work on) so people can continue to grow as musicians.

I will leave feedback a bit later when I have time to sit down and really listen.

#2 Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*

Guest_GOYO(Monsta X)_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

Aerosol Breath gets my vote

#3 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

pencilface me in yo!

#4 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

I put ya up there Wiggy...

#5 Friies

Friies

STMB Mayonnaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:music and other stuff

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

aerosol breath for me too

#6 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

muchos.

back later with a vote...

#7 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

Cuba 140 - Your track won't load for some reason...

Areou - Nice intro...good vibe so far...like the beeps...and the vocal samples...the natural sounding drums work well with the samples...like the breakdown with the beeps...the pauses are dope...

Cralias - Cool vocal intro...like your use of the samples...got more of a groove than some of your past beats...like the way you utilized the distorted guitar...with a little reverb on the drums I could hear most of this beat being an arena-rocker...not sure about the breakdown though...a little too broken down for my taste...

Django
- Already said yours is dope, but here's the full review...the bass hits are music to my ears...in my headphones they're beautiful...I could imagine 'em on my system in the ride...dope sample use...like the way the flute sound vibes in it...the guitar samples are nice and clean...like the little breakdown where the flute drops in over the guitar...not too sure about the creepy laugh/chortle sample though...favorite so far...

Friies - like the slow beat start...the crash really works as the beat kicks in...not your typical beat...there's no unifying hats keeping the steady sound...but I kind of like that in this...nice track...hope to hear more from ya soon...

Deezsteez
- Cool chops right off the bat...like the static-soundin hat work...the bass is thumpin'...almost sounds like a Beck track...Midnite Vultures era...funky but quirky...up there with Django with my favs...

SubBass49 - MUCH faster tempo than I'm used to workin with lately...tried to keep it steady...had wanted to lay in more synth stuff over the top later but was too distracted by the construction hammering on my building to focus...like the steady beat of the harp-sounding stuff in the background but it gets tiring quickly...could have been better IMHO.

TKurata - WOAH....my headphones DIG your bass work! Oh damn...head-nod goin' on...kinda killed the nod with the changeup though...that first part had me though...this is some of your steadiest work to date that I've heard...less schizo...nice heavy beat though...another one that'd sound dope in the ride...the breakdown is hot...lettin the drums drive for a quick few bars really works well in this beat...

AeorosolBreath - starts off with a traditional sound...nice vocal intro sample...like the metallic/mech sounds that are subtle in the mix...very steady beat...the echo/delay effects work well...

The Wig Master - LOVE that bass tone you used...hot shit...beat is a bit more glitchy than my usual taste...but it's dope as far as glitchy beats go...just not my usual style that I vibe on is all...like the walking bassline feel...

It's down to a pick between DeezSteez & Django for me...

Think I gotta give my vote to....DeezSteez

Great work there man...just funky and steady enough to get my vote...fat bass...great feel...LOVE it...

#8 Lotto

Lotto

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

Aerosol Breath gets my vote as well

#9 AeorosolBreath

AeorosolBreath

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, books, art, drugs, stuff...

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

cuba's beat doesn't work...

my vote goes to tkurata ... dope beat...

#10 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the vote Aeoro...

For some reason no media player will load in my browser at the moment...it started last night after I uploaded my beat. I tried Firefox and IE...this is new to me and really frustrating cuz I want to hear the rest of these...anybody have any tech tips?

Anybody feelin my Ignorant Shit remix>?

Dope feedback Sub...thanks man!

Anyway I'll try to vote later I guess...I can't even get my myspace to load...everything loads except media players... :D :angry: :angry:

#11 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

fuck...i wrote so much and then voted before sending the message like an idiot...it all got erased...

anyway fuck it...nice beats everyone, my favorites were areou tk and wig....one of them got my vote :D

thanks for the feedback subbass, i really appreciate it...

#12 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

CRAP

Yo Cuba your beat is still not working. If you are trying to re-up this to mediafire you have to change the filesize or it won't re-up correctly. Snip off .01 seconds off the track or something, resave/rename, and try again...otherwise you should know that streaming is what heads around here want...not downloading. I'll check it out either way but yeah it's down still.

My shit's finally workin so I'm unpluggin the headphones (look out neighbors) and I'm gonna type up some feed and vote.

EDIT: Well I made it thru about four beats and I'm back to not working again...I've got my feed saved in a txt file I'll drop this later hopefully I get to hear everybody, really nice work so far. :D

#13 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

leave feedback (positives and things to work on) so people can continue to grow as musicians.

I can't agree more with this. I hope feedback doesn't effect votes, and I think constructive criticism is waaay more helpful than accolades. Props feel good but neg crit makes you BETTER. So I'm going to try to say something negative about everybody...merry christmas! I invite you all to please trash my beat...

Ok I finally got everything to load...and here's an assload of feedback:

Areou - Nice drums, man. They sound almost live at times. I like the blending of the samples. I would have liked to have heard less of that
beeping thing. Good stuff I like how your drums snap. Nice work man.

cralias - really nice chops! The drums could have been varied a bit maybe...the one two one two left me wanting more. Lots of subtle layers
sound gooood. Nice second part here...spare drums sound nice and stumbly. Good shit.

django - Nice bass rumble...intro was kinda cool. your loops are dope, nice constructed melodies. My subwoofer is lovin it. I wish the drums would snap a little more. Bass might be too high in the mix...good to have ya back, nice work.

Friies - I really like this even though it's too short...would have liked to have heard more. The best mix i've heard so far...my system is loving it. that shaker is kinda dope. I like the sleepy feel. Awesome.

DeezSteez - oh man Friies, sorry Deez's mix is shaking my apartment...whoa...nice mix man! Awesome bass. Really mellow sounds chopped perfectly...dope. You killed it this week. I think maybe the samples are a little high in the mix...just a little. (had to think of some criticism). The sample matches the bassline so well...care to share your bass technique? Nah you don't have to...it sounds. DOPE.

SubBass49 - Flute invasion on the intro! ...lol different sound for you. My apartment is shaking like crazy (I expected that from you) probably get a call from the boutique underneath me in a sec... It sounds good man. Of course you know I would have liked to hear more variation...system shaker! Too much naked flute, (ahh!) but it sounds dope of course...nice job man.

TKurata - new year's resolution 08. get the chops the way you want them before you do your first mixdown...I wasted another couple hours
trying to mix shit down a second time and failed, again. FOCUS, MF'ER!

AeorosolBreath - intro was aiiight. Those drums are nice, the echoes kinda threw me a just a little. Overall I'm diggin the snare though, it's moving my head. snare sounds like a cartoon punch sound effect sometimes...in a good way. The buildup with all the distortion is pretty cool. Good stuff man. Honestly though I think your mix is a little off compared to your usual dope mixdowns. (Gotta criticize a little).

The Wig Master - whew that bass is making my subwoofer sweat a little... The drums are elusive...I like it. Would have liked to hear the snare pop a little, maybe. when you start walking the bass it sounds a little too modal for hip hop...overall though man you killed it as usual, dope-ness.

There! I managed to criticize everyone...I like the semi-anonymous vote thing, so I'm gonna say my top three beats are DeezSteez, Friies, and AeorosolBreath...one of you got my super secret santa vote.

PEACE.

#14 sera#1

sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

Cuba 140 - can't listen to it, won't play

Areou - i love the drums , reminds me on some prefuse 73, the beat/melody lacks some changes imo, like refrain etc.

cralias - interesting chopping, tunes go great with the drums, i like the 2. part

django - hmm, hard to tell, didn't like the drums that much and the sample choice, there are parts that are good, but most of it sounds like you weren't really trying to create the shit out of the samples. don't get me wrong, nothing personal.

Friies - same as django and try to work on you drumsounds, snare to loud imo, doesn't go well with the sample.

DeezSteez - like it, melodies, samplechoice, goes well with the rhytm, like the composition.but here as well, work on the drumsounds (maybe a snare that fits better). it's a 7/10 beat, mainly bcuz of the snaresound, the right snare and it could be a 10/10

SubBass49 - hey, did you work on the basssounds? sounds different than the last rounds. like the choice on the samples, should try to work more on volume levels of each sample & sound, mixdown. like most of the other, i miss some changes,like refrains, chorus bars etc.

Tkurata - Man, you had me with the beginning of the track. only thing that comes into my mind is the volume levels of the sampes & sounds, imo the sample you use in the beginning should be a little louder. besides that....perfect.

AeorosolBreath - Interesting, like the rhytm, sounds like filmmusic, good.

The Wig Master - hmm, dunno, don't really like it, sounds like your tryin' it too hard to come up with something 'supercreative'. Actually i'm a little disappointed, the last beats you submitted were like 'whoaaaa'....

Ah, hope nobody feels offended, wasn't tryin to...don't take it personal, just my opinion and how i feel about listening to the stmb#44 beats

my vote goes to Areou. the drums had me

#15 theyoungelohim9

theyoungelohim9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

my vote goes to deezsteez

#16 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

SubBass49 - Flute invasion on the intro! ...lol different sound for you. My apartment is shaking like crazy (I expected that from you) probably get a call from the boutique underneath me in a sec... It sounds good man. Of course you know I would have liked to hear more variation...system shaker! Too much naked flute, (ahh!) but it sounds dope of course...nice job man.

Good lookin out on the critique. Definitely a different sound for me...faster tempo...working with different drum kits (though I kept my low thumpy kicks in the mix)...thanks for the props though. Variation is my weak point. Once I find something I like I get attached to it and I don't try hard enough to break free from it. I think it's the part I need to work on most in my beat making. Maybe I'll set a personal goal this week to do a grip of changes...just to force myself to do it...even if the beat turns out wack because of it.

SubBass49 - hey, did you work on the basssounds? sounds different than the last rounds. like the choice on the samples, should try to work more on volume levels of each sample & sound, mixdown. like most of the other, i miss some changes,like refrains, chorus bars etc.

Yeah...this is a bass sample I dug from vinyl and then EQ'd and compressed. I like it, but it has a real limited note range and can't sustain. In most rounds I use a simple sine wave sample for my bass. And yeah...definitely I needed to work on mixing. I think part of the issue is that I worked on this one with my headphones on while finishing it, and it sounded way different that way than throuh my monitors. I ran compression over the whole track, but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

As for making changes, any advice ya'll might have? Philosophical or technical tricks? Advice on your process in making the various changes?

#17 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Big up to sera#1 for the honest feedback, it is well appreciated. Thanks also for the vote (of confidence). Hope to hear a new sera#1 beat soon....

As for making changes, any advice ya'll might have? Philosophical or technical tricks? Advice on your process in making the various changes?

I was able to get some good structure (I think) this week by using that Zay Z acapella over my beat...I haven't done a remix in a while and it was a good exercise...forced me to do some refrain and chorus structuring. I feel like your ish usually has that kinda structure though...hmmm. Oh well.

#18 sera#1

sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

Good lookin out on the critique. Definitely a different sound for me...faster tempo...working with different drum kits (though I kept my low thumpy kicks in the mix)...thanks for the props though. Variation is my weak point. Once I find something I like I get attached to it and I don't try hard enough to break free from it. I think it's the part I need to work on most in my beat making. Maybe I'll set a personal goal this week to do a grip of changes...just to force myself to do it...even if the beat turns out wack because of it.

Yeah...this is a bass sample I dug from vinyl and then EQ'd and compressed. I like it, but it has a real limited note range and can't sustain. In most rounds I use a simple sine wave sample for my bass. And yeah...definitely I needed to work on mixing. I think part of the issue is that I worked on this one with my headphones on while finishing it, and it sounded way different that way than throuh my monitors. I ran compression over the whole track, but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

if it comes down to mixing, always doin it with my headphones first, what helps a lot is( at least it helps me sometimes), try to find an acappella to put over your beat in order to determine the soundlevels of each sample. after a while you get a feeling for a too loud snare or kick or hihat. You use FL studio right? me too, since my dog fucked the mpc cable. you can put each channel seperately to the mixer, this way you have total control of volume FX etc., bass channel, hit the bass boost, multiband, it works like a charm

#19 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Ok, here's the crits:

Cuba - still no file available...

Areou - dope drum sounds, but i'm not liking the way the samples (except for the vox) are so far back in the mix. makes it sound like the background is chaotic and non-rhythmic, which takes away from the groove of the whole song... yeah, it coulda used something other than the drums and the vox to really propel the flow. dig the drop outs and the beeps - especially in the drop outs when it's just the beeps.

cralias - like the stuttered samples, sounds almost like you scratched them in from a ttbl, very cool. the beat is a little too... plodding without reaching that point where it turns into a smasher. i have no idea how to suggest a fix for that... nice middle break... maybe one round too many on that break... end part is cool, but could use just a little something else, it's a little too sparse, but def a good base.

django - cool intro... i like the fact that you didn't chop that much and leave a nice flowing flute melody... bangin kick, but the snare and that sound that's keeping the eighths (what is that, a cymbal bell?) are a bit too low in the mix.... like the little squeaks here and there... heheh, and the madman laugh!... when the middle change comes in it could maybe be a little more forceful, maybe that new sound louder in the mix... same for the end part, the new sound should be a bit louder.

Friies - like the lazy dreamy slowed down sample... kick could use more bass... rhythm needs another more constant element to tie the kicks and snares together, 'cause they sound like they just get a little sloppy and out of time, and they could sound like they swing. (there's a fine line between swing/deep pocket and sloppy) B) also the sample could be a bit louder in the mix. nice first entry though! welcome to the battle!

DeezSteez - i was pretty happy with it this week, except that i wish i could have come up with a liiiittle bit more variation. also i'm not so psyched about the chord progression... it works but something bugs me about running through a 1 - 4 - 5 progression so quickly (4 bars) and repeating it so many times. towards the end i started thinking that the main part should have been a chorus, and i shuld have had something else for the verse. sera, on further listen, i hear you about the snare, i think it just needs a bit more high end to make it really crack. TK - i mixed this five times, and purposefully went for the beat being nested inside the sample rather than more upfront. i'll tell you about the bass later... :lol:

SubBass - whoa dude! ripping fast for you! i like it though, real hype energy... when you bring the second sample in (8 bars after the drums kick in) it could be a little louder in the mix... i also like the vinyl crackle in the kick sound... hmmm... i was having trouble differentiating the bass, so i checked this out in headphones too... still a little hard to get a read on the bass, but that second sample thing i was saying def comes through a bit more in headphones, but i'd still like to hear it louder... overall though good chops and arrangement, real bouncy and moving right along... woulda loved to hear this completed to your satisfaction...

TKurata - haha, put the needle on the record! booming beat...maybe a tad bit kick heavy...that shaker sound or whatever it is is cool... and you really got the two samples to work together, nice one... like the double use of the flute too... i wish the o'rourke vox were a little louder in the mix but i have a feeling you went as far as you could without other instrumentation starting to bleed through? also that "can't stop the beat" - louder please... overall heavy groove, but it coulda used a big change up somewhere, not just the slight variations... (and that little digi snare roll to drop out don't count, not big enough) :lol:

AeorosolBreath - cool little intro... i like the basic melody line, and the random echo drops, and the background sort of robot-y mechanical sounds, but the persistent drone is somehow... dissonant. like i'm feeling like something is out of tune (and maybe it isn't, it just feels that way)... cool change up near the end... makes me think something is about to happen...

Wig Master - starts off sounding just like wigmaster, with that kind of funky lopsided rhythm, but then everything starts falling apart... i just got lost in there man, hard to catch a hold of a groove... oh, and then the bass goes crazy too... heh, i know the holidays can be emotionally tough times, but keep it together man! :) don't know what else to say about this one...

So I guess my tops are django, Sub, TK and A-Breath... lemme plug in my secret vote... :lol:

EDIT: Ok, so I dropped my quarter in the jukebox.... awww, did I give it away?

#20 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

man, this was a bad week. a half-done beat and didn't get to vote... :lol:

#21 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

man, this was a bad week. a half-done beat and didn't get to vote... :lol:

[looks over shoulder]

... I don't see Sub around anywhere... get ya vote in! :lol:

#22 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Oof, that's a tough one... I feel like it's a problem area for me too... but basically, I just try to feel where the change should happen. I mean, if I get a groove going on that I'm happy with, I'll loop it, but I'll have it stopped, then I try and clear my mind and pretend that I haven't been working on it for hours and that I'm just hearing it for the first time, hit play, and just try and listen and see where I feel like a change should happen. Helps to close your eyes too, 'cause if you're watching the song progress on your computer screen you'll be predicting what happens next, and you don't want to do that if you're searching for a change.

Then I've found that depending on how your groove is coming along you'll end up wanting different change points and degrees of change. For instance, if my basic groove is a 1 bar phrase, I might have some little variation at the end of 2, 4, and 6 to keep it moving (I call them "turnarounds" because it sounds like it's maybe about to change but you go back into the same thing), but after 8 you might want to have a complete change up including possible drum pattern change (my personal weakest point), bassline dropping out or changing, sample dropping out, something giving a whole new feel. And if you're changing up after 8, you might want a shorter change up period, say 2 bars, before you go back to the main. But then, if your basic groove is a 2 bar phrase, everything's different. You might want to do, instead of a turnaround at the end of the phrase, do like 4 bars (2 phrases), then add some constant new thing for the next 4 bars, then back for 4, then back again, and then flip to a new feel, but keep that new feel for longer.

As far as how to figure out what that complete change up in feel is gonna be... phew, you got me man. Sometimes when I'm initially cutting up the samples I can tell one bit is gonna be one part, and one bit is gonna be another. But a lot of times its really hard to figure it out. Also lead ins to the big changes vary... sometimes I just make the last beat or two lead up to the change, sometimes a whole measure... I think it depends on your phrasing...

Make sense? I think you do a lot of this kinda stuff already, you just have to make it more drastic. But basically it's all about how it feels, to me. If you listen to the song, it'll tell you what has to happen. Or at least where it has to hapen. The fun part is when you start adding little things that take it out of the strict 2-4-8-etc. type patterns. Like adding one bar or one beat at the end of some change to make a 5 somewhere and break it out. It livens it up that way.

if it comes down to mixing, always doin it with my headphones first

Really? I usually get in the headphones when working on initial sounds, then get out of them for the first part of the mix, then get back in them only to check to see if there's a big difference between the headphones and the monitors. That's my general rule - stay out of the headphones as much as possible, and use them just as a reference. I think your best mix is gonna be one where there's virtually no difference between what you hear in and out of the phones. Compression helps that, I think. (?)

#23 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

ok i voted late but for aero. looks like he took it

#24 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

Wow...truckloads of feedback and suggestions. I wish every week had this much dialogue going on. Also 19 votes for 10 beats is great ratio for us...thanks to everyone who voted, especially if you didn't submit a beat...thanks for taking the time.

Congrats to AeorosolBreath for the victory!

Time to head downtown to see the Bungals get crushed by the Browns.... :huh:

-TK

#25 sera#1

sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

Really? I usually get in the headphones when working on initial sounds, then get out of them for the first part of the mix, then get back in them only to check to see if there's a big difference between the headphones and the monitors. That's my general rule - stay out of the headphones as much as possible, and use them just as a reference. I think your best mix is gonna be one where there's virtually no difference between what you hear in and out of the phones. Compression helps that, I think. (?)

yeah, headphones first bcuz of all the little details/ you don't hear them that clear with regular speakers. when it's done blow your speakers with the sound to see if it's bangin'...

#26 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

Ayite...looks like AeorosolBreath got it...I'm handing over thread-startin' duties to BigErn for the week though...so be thinkin' about your sample choice there A-B...

EDIT - PS...good lookin out on the feedback and advice...I think this week I'll focus on that stuff...long as the sample track is good for it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users