Photo
- - - - -

Beat Battle 42 VOTING THREAD

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Take your pick (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's the top dog this week?

1. Django (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

2. S.L. (1 votes [3.70%])

3. Tone (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. cralias (0 votes [0.00%])

5. jayred (1 votes [3.70%])

6. Josh G (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

7. BazacoPROject (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

8. Svetnik (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Areou (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

10. SubBass49 (0 votes [0.00%])

11. DeezSteez (0 votes [0.00%])

12. theyoungelohim9 (2 votes [7.41%])

13. AeorosolBreath (0 votes [0.00%])

14. The Wig Master (2 votes [7.41%])

15. BigErnMcCracken (1 votes [3.70%])

16. sera#1 (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

17. chillo (1 votes [3.70%])

18. Knowledge (0 votes [0.00%])

19. mattestall (1 votes [3.70%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

Cot-Dammit ya'll came through this week! 19 entries! Yikes!

Here's the Re-Cap

Django
S.L.
Tone
cralias
jayred
Josh G
BazacoPROject
Svetnik
Areou
SubBass49
DeezSteez
theyoungelohim9
AeorosolBreath
The Wig Master
BigErnMcCracken
sera#1
chillo
Knowledge
mattestall

Double-check to make sure I got your links posted, and posted correctly.

Voting takes place in the poll only...any comments, reviews, etc can go in the discussion thread.

Winner is whoever has the most votes at midnight tonight Eastern US time...if no one is peepin the site then, we'll just check it in the morning.

Winner has until noon sunday to post a sample track...if they don't, the runner-up gets to post their sample...and the vicious cycle begins again...lol

I'll try to review the tracks and post my critiques in a bit...

#2 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

i vote sera, with mattestall in a close second

#3 Svetnik

Svetnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Djing, Music, Producing

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

i vote mattestall...shit is soo tight....and your other beats are dope as hell too.... gonna post some reviews later

#4 sera#1

sera#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

my vote goes to areou. beat is awesome

#5 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

Good week, I just cast my vote for sera. My other choices were Areou, Deez Steez, Tone and Wig!

#6 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

My reviews...typed WHILE I listen to the tracks...so if it seems a little jumbled, you'll know why...

Django - Lovin the intro...that bass is hittin...so far has an interlude feel to it...not necessarily a full track...that backing repetition is too constant to feel like a full "song" if ya get me...it's dope though...like the fade-in of the hats near the end...

S.L.
- Nice sample selections so far...sounds kinda lo-fi with no hats...ahh...there we go...fat bass...diggin this...my headphones are havin trouble with the bass a bit, but I always tend to mix bass-heavy too...so no worries...the hats help to soften it up a bit...like how ya brought the "ooohs" into the mix...not sure about that synthy string/brass sound...

Tone - Like the feel when the beat drops...wasnt too sure about the intro before that...not too sure about the short sample that plays after the vocal sample that says "the evening"...sounds a bit dancy or housey (the sample that is)...like how the "hook" goes up in tone though...pretty upbeat track actually...pretty decent work...

cralias - You sound like you come from the TKurata school of beat making! Take it as a compliment...he's our resident glitch-artist...lol...having a hard time getting into this track though...maybe because it's a little too all-over the place...almost needs some sort of constant sound to keep it patched together...somethin that's a bit faster than the glitching...like some quick hats or something....like the vocal samples you dropped...

jayred - Like that kick you're using...the vocal chopping is pretty cool...after the first part the chopping really takes on a cool sound...that stutter feel...nice work...might benefit from a bassline...I can hear a little of the original bassline poking through the mix sometimes...but it's not quite enough for me (bass fiend)...lol...

Josh G - Like your hat work already...claps are good...woah...that funky synth/scratch or whatever it is is off the charts...so far my favorite...that breathy whispery stuff is crazy too...this is a really dope track...

Bazaco - For some reason your page isn't loading...I'll try back later...up & running now...interesting...track so far...that vocal sample is kinda freaky...kind of an overall creepy vibe to this track...

Svetnik - Same goes for yours...it wont load all the way...I'll try again later...OK...working now...nice bass samples...cool mellow track...like the hihat pause...

Areou - Nice old-school feel...I dunno if it's the breaks that give it that feel or what, but it's pretty cool...good chopping and filtering of the vocals...dirty-ass drums...

SubBass49 - Not sure about the dialogue samples...they were a last-minute addition and I went with what I already had on the computer (from Crash)...the synth part that comes through part way through the verse isn't really my favorite but I felt the verse needed something to add variation to it...I do like the tabla drums though...havent worked with tabla samples in a while...and my usual critique of my work is that it's just basic verse/chorus loops for the most part...1st verse isn't much different from second or third....

DeezSteez - My fellow San Diegan...the intro is a big build-up and feels like it's gonna be a high-energy track...then the drums seem lo-volume in comparison...I really like the concept of how you chopped the vox though...if it were mine I'd probably bring in some heavier drums to match the intensity of the vocal sampling...cool little intro though...

theyoungelohim9 - Your page isn't loading up either...wonder if Myspace is having a brain-fart day or something...I'll come back to ya later...OK...up & running now...like the intro...the vocal sample is good...I would cut it though when I get to the verse part...it takes away too much attention from the beat...nice work though...one of your best yet...cool bassline...

AeorosolBreath - Nice shit so far...like the minimal bassline...that spacy stuff in the background is really distracting though...could just be in my headphones though...I feel like if you tone that down you'd have a really strong beat, but taht right now it competes too much with the kicks and bassline...

The Wig Master - Like the click-clack drumming...bassline on point as always...vocal sampling is crazy...good track...

BigErnMcCracken - CRAZYass hat work...woah...nice incorporation of that Guilty acapella from the remix battle...I was thinkin of doin' some of that too...backed out last second...bassline is a little synthy for my tastes...not that synth bass is a bad thing, but this has a weird feel to it...

sera#1 - Cool intro work...lovin' that bassline...I could vibe to this on some late night shit...drivin'...this is sick shit for sure...your track is definitely up there in my favorites this week...and the change-up...HOLY fuck!...wow...

chillo - Nice start...choppy and smooth at the same time...good stuff...like how ya worked the sax in there...all short chops...has a flow to it that's pretty smooth considering all the choppiness...like your production style...

Knowledge - Your beat isn't loading in the player...starts showing a track time of like 22 minutes or somethin, but no sound plays....weird...

mattestall - Nice kicks...track sounds good but doesnt feel like it has any sense of direction...more like an interlude...until after the "crossed my mind" sample...then it sounds a little more directed...not too hot on the outro though...

OK...so I'll hold off on my vote until I get a chance to hear the ones that werent loading...if it starts gettin late though and the links still dont work I'm just gonna vote from what I did get a chance to hear though...

#7 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

If nothing changes when (or if) I hear the other tracks, my vote would be down to either Josh G or sera#1...both fuckin DOPE tracks...

EDIT: sera#1 - What'd you use to make the bassline in the second part of your track??? That shit is NUTS....

#8 Areou

Areou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:....well yes music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/areou

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

ya sera #1 thats my vote fuckin awesome my close ones were well i don't remember what your message board name was but your myspace was big family or something like that i like the chop sound if you guys couldn't have already guessed by how i make music and how i vote but i thought most were good and i too had some trouble loading some, only didn't get to hear one at the end but i'm pretty sure my vote is my vote so ya good job can't wait to see what we get to play with next week.... o ya thanks for the vote sera!

#9 AeorosolBreath

AeorosolBreath

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, books, art, drugs, stuff...

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

i really liked wig's and sera's joints... but i voted wig... nice track, man...

#10 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

I gotta listen to these again to see who gets my vote....

#11 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Bazaco - For some reason your page isn't loading...I'll try back later...

Shit....try now it seems to be up. Man, I hope ya'll can listen to my shit....has anyone else had that problem? Oh well....

#12 chillo

chillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

ymy close ones were well i don't remember what your message board name was but your myspace was big family or something like that i like the chop sound

Thanks, I appreciate that.

#13 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

I'll vote when I get off work. Lots of good choices.

#14 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

OK...I was able to go back and hear all the ones I hadn't heard yet except for Knowledge's track...that one is still fuckin' up. I posted reviews up in my review section...

#15 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

its no competition this week. josh killed it hands down

#16 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

Josh G ended up getting my vote. It came down to it being a better hip-hop track than sera's. Even though sera's was a more complete track overall, it was less hip-hop sounding than Josh's...

I guess it's just personal preference...

But they're both dope as hell...

Hardest choice yet for me since I got into these...

#17 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

didnt get time here in the end this week, but i will write some comments down, its gonna take a while.....so here goes:

Django:
good claps, like the vibe generally.....the brass sample from the track that creeps in is nice too....finished abit soon.

S.L: nice rhodes chops, i like the bass too....probably wouldnt have bothered with the synth, but nice laid back sound

Tone: i like the chopping up, its well done.....the sections go well....third section is catchy, interesting choices.

Cralias:
ha what the fuck, the sound queer?!......yours sounds quite quirky actually....no on second thoughts its just deranged, sounds slightly like you inputted the sounds with your penis. <_<

Jayred: i like the section you took, nice choice......the muting off is cool, like that, beat sounds pretty punchy.

Josh G: very crisp, excellent clap.....synth works well, im listening to them in order and this is my favourite so far.

BazacoProject: nice levels in the mix, i like the little vocal chop in the middle section, pretty good, helicopter works, could do with abit more quantize maybe.

Svetnik: spacey, i like the brass and synth.....sounds abit live in a way.

Areou: this is really good.....top ghostly atmosphere here, goes with the vibe of the sample....yes feeling this one, would of been tempted to push up the mid and treble a little on the beat if possible, like the second section - original.

JB: its very loud, punchy sound, very middle east.. i like the reverbed vocal chop over the top, pretty chilled.

DeezSteez: interesting choice to go beatless and chop around just with the sample, makes a good intro like you say.

J2 Muhfuckin G: we must get free, good call.....i like the grainy sound of the vox, cool beat nice hats, bass is subtle....different atmosphere, sort of has an old school feel - 89/90.

AerosolBreath: like the layered sound, spaced out....theres abit of distortion creeping in though, abrupt finish.

Wig Master: very vibey, real like the drunken beatbox style....nice atmosphere throughout, sounds like you bandpassed some of the chops, quite short but good value for money.

Big Ern: like the little start off, very off beat, strange timings....original stuff.

Sera: bass is real fat and great filtering and chopping up of the sample, the second section fading in is a nice touch too, i like the vocal bits you chose, just right.

Chillo: this sounds cool, slightly quiet and the beat could do with some eq'ing, but some pretty thorough chopping going on here though.

Knowledge: sorry dude, i tried and tried but couldnt get yours to play, couldnt see a download link to the file either..... in the end it gave me this message: Error while updating the download count for this file.

Mattestall: dope sound, really like the dust, original percussion sounds good the little glitches, goes well, bass sound is good too, good levels in the mix, sounds right.

for me personally its between sera, areou, wig and josh.

too difficult choose, they are all as good.

ill have to say Josh G.

#18 Tone

Tone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Now this is a beat battle! Really hard choice, but, I went with jayred, with aerou and sera close behind. Keep up the seriously good work everyone!

#19 breakbeatbilly

breakbeatbilly

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

sera!

#20 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

I voted for sera.

#21 S.L.

S.L.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hip-Hop Kulture, Skateboarding, Basketball & Existing
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/YouGee

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

TheWigMaster had me.

#22 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Sub - I know it's just about midnight EST, but I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them all yet... can we keep the voting open for another hour or so?

#23 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

EDIT: Hehe...of course

Right now it's Sera by a vote, but if you vote for anyone besides Josh G, he's gonna win it anyway.

If you end up voting for Josh G, then Sera AND Josh will each post a sample.

#24 DeezSteez

DeezSteez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

FFuuuuuuuuk, ok, finally done listening to them, and some twice...

Vote goes to theyoungelohim, HMs to Django, Tone, Jayred, Sera, Chillo...

Sub gets the BSL award!!! (Booty-Synchro-Licious) :blink:

Random comments:

Bazaco - "Eat em up," hahahaaa, that's great... :lol:

Svetnik - I like the way you flipped the chord progression, has potential for a great really trancey, hypnotic track...

BigErn - Say wha? You lost me dude, I couldn't even find the one...

Sera - The way you flipped the vocals backwards, they start making sounds I associate with the sounds of Portuguese. Did you make it say something in Portuguese?

theyoungelohim - I have a very specific comment for you - IM(H)O, it would sound super dope if you made the "we" be on the upbeat of the one, and the "must" come in right on the two, it would make the whole lyric a bit smoother and swinging with the beat. The way it is right now I find a bit stilted... [EDIT] Well, after another listen, I do like the way the "must" comes in just before the two, but still, the "we" has to come in a little later than it is. Gotta close the gap between the "we" and the "must".

#25 S.L.

S.L.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hip-Hop Kulture, Skateboarding, Basketball & Existing
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/YouGee

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:23 AM

Yo, I got a vote.
HOW'D I GET A VOTE?!

#26 theyoungelohim9

theyoungelohim9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

theyoungelohim - I have a very specific comment for you - IM(H)O, it would sound super dope if you made the "we" be on the upbeat of the one, and the "must" come in right on the two, it would make the whole lyric a bit smoother and swinging with the beat. The way it is right now I find a bit stilted... [EDIT] Well, after another listen, I do like the way the "must" comes in just before the two, but still, the "we" has to come in a little later than it is. Gotta close the gap between the "we" and the "must".

thanks! lol.

i really didn't expect to get a vote at, so thanks and thanks to whoever was the other to vote for my entry this week, much appreciated.

i think i may go back and see about putting that "we" in later and see how it sounds. thanks. what does IM(H)O mean btw lol.

PEACE

#27 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

in my (humble) opinion

#28 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

I don't understand....you couldn't find the one? If you meant....you couldn't catch the beat then...ok

Yo, I got a vote.
HOW'D I GET A VOTE?!

I was wondering the same thing about mine. I never get votes anymore but to whomever voted for me....THANKS.

#29 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:19 AM

CONGRATULATIONS to Sera #1. Mashed out 18 other participants to claim the number one spot. Good shit and the beat was dope.

#30 Svetnik

Svetnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Djing, Music, Producing

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

FFuuuuuuuuk, ok, finally done listening to them, and some twice...

Vote goes to theyoungelohim, HMs to Django, Tone, Jayred, Sera, Chillo...

Sub gets the BSL award!!! (Booty-Synchro-Licious) :)

Random comments:

Bazaco - "Eat em up," hahahaaa, that's great... :)

Svetnik - I like the way you flipped the chord progression, has potential for a great really trancey, hypnotic track...

Sera - The way you flipped the vocals backwards, they start making sounds I associate with the sounds of Portuguese. Did you make it say something in Portuguese?

Damn man, that unautharized bizness track is fuuucking dope!!! Needs some bass, then it would be a fucking killer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users