• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 edru

edru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

just think of it this way, are most people still rockin cars with no power steering and a fuckin a trak? No, because technology changes. You dont hear people with bmws getting screamed at to remember the roots and were the car came from. I know its different with music, but you just have to accept that people using cdjs or software are in the game the same way you are, with the same love for music, but using different technology. you can say its easier, but that doesnt mean its going to sound good. I had a mpc1k a few years back, motif rack, logic pro, synths ect.. and I heard another kid in my school was into makin shit, so i was talking to em, turned out he had frooty loops and a keyboard and an old ass deck. I thought in the back of my mind that this kid aint shit, for the fact that hes using fruity loops and a keyboard haha. but the next day he brought me in a cd of some of his stuff, it sounded pretty good, I was shocked. getting caught up in the hype of saying that cdj's and software is wack compared to turntables is bullshit. Its all about the love for the music.

Nicley said. Thats what I always say, its not about what you use, but how you use it.

Another example is this guy i know. he has over $20K of hardware in his home studio, and he cant get shit from it.
I use ProTools, some plug ins, and a $50 M Audio controller, and a 1200. I think, as well as many others have told me, that im above him by leagues.
He makes good shit dont get me wrong, but I just dont hear the 20K in it.

Get to know what you use, and you can do anything pretty much.

#32 .SMALLNUMBERS.

.SMALLNUMBERS.

Mustached Assailant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • Interests:Anything design related.

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

my two cents! sorry to just jump in but as far as digital vs film ( cameras) , film will ALWAYS destroy digital. you will never get that absolutely gorgeous fil feel with digital. from personal experience, i've never shot with a better camera than my Hasselblad 501C. and i've shot with 2 G's ($) digitals, not even touchin it... lol. just my opinion.

and i think it comes down to feel... you know how it LOOKS digital, kinda plastic-y... a lot of people prefer that "clean" feel... but man, check out B+'s porfolio on mochilla.com/ or Coleman's.... i know that they shoot film camera's, 3 1/4 film Hasselblads.. and that shit is fuckin beautiful...

but as far as time constraints, "user friendly" issues, and basic easy transfer to the comp, digital wins.

#33 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Beats Teeshirts & MaryJane

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:07 AM

Really? A Scam? Please, it just sounds like you are some PC ELITEST (yes i use a PC, not a mac). Name ONE, i say ONE, media player, thats as easy use, and has the the capacity, at the same price? please tell me because id like to know. All the other ones i see are removable media (and the mem sticks are not cheap. Try to get 80 GB worth of compact flash cards and tell me how much it is.) I agree that convience sadly over kills cocntent, but thats just generalization man. And thats not what kills the music scene here and blacks out realy music, its the labels man. The labels control everything thats on MTV and Radio. Dont blame convience. And i think its the best of both worlds. I assume you never use drum machines or samples, because thats convient. You just play every single instrument? Fuck recording to protools, thats too easy, lets just always record straight to wax, its too convient to beable to mix after you record. Why not do it live?
Do you have a high quality sony camera? Not some pocket cam shit? My friend has a sony top of the line digi cam, was roughly 1000 dollars, shoots lasers and shit to adjust its settings for light levels and shit. IMO it looks a LOT cleaner than film. (then again ive never really fucked with film cameras of that calibur either)

nope, I'm a strict MAC ELITIST, ipods were apples attempt at a product they could sell to the kind of dumb SHEEP that use PCs (got a funny feelin i'm gon get gang raped for that)

as for a cheaper alternative, my local Oxfam sell walkmans for next t nothin & you can get ten blank tapes for a quid in the pound shop

I did a photo shoot in a professional studio usin 20grand + digital cameras, and you can still see the difference, and trust me this was la creme de la creme of fashion photography takin the flics, and even he admits that digital int as good just a lot easier n quicker.

the fact that I abuse drum machines and samples is YES a testament to the fact I was always too lazy t learn real instruments, feel like I'm loosin the battle, BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE CRUSTY FUCKED UP SHIT FULL O GRIT N SOUL

AND YEAH, FUCK PROTOOLS!! ITS ALL ABOUT 8 TRACK TAPE (REEL2REEL)

#34 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

this is the most tired debate ever..

#35 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:16 AM

this is the most tired debate ever..

SEEN. I just wanted to riff for a bit, noones takin this shit seriously, or are they?

#36 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

SEEN. I just wanted to riff for a bit, noones takin this shit seriously, or are they?

i dunno. its just that whole "yeah its all about reel to reel, analogue sounds, fuck pro tools" attitude is so boring...

i record all my music at 96K 24bit, does that mean my music has no soul? what if i forget to sample off some old vinyl with loads of hiss and crackle? can i add soul by running the master bus through a cheap tape deck and back out for some "soulful" tape saturation?

i'm sure you get what i mean..

#37 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:38 AM

i dunno. its just that whole "yeah its all about reel to reel, analogue sounds, fuck pro tools" attitude is so boring...

i record all my music at 96K 24bit, does that mean my music has no soul? what if i forget to sample off some old vinyl with loads of hiss and crackle? can i add soul by running the master bus through a cheap tape deck and back out for some "soulful" tape saturation?

i'm sure you get what i mean..

its my opinion though, and I love it when you can hear the hiss n crackle from vinyl samples in a track, just sounds good t me!

...and a lot people are put off my beats cause they all crusty and crackly, but thats the way I get down, not sayin its the be all, end all and that you cant make hot music in other ways. But take a listen and if you don't agree that the distortion and grit has a definate dopeness to it, I'll agree with all y'all and stop posting in this thread!

#38 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

its my opinion though, and I love it when you can hear the hiss n crackle from vinyl samples in a track, just sounds good t me!

...and a lot people are put off my beats cause they all crusty and crackly, but thats the way I get down, not sayin its the be all, end all and that you cant make hot music in other ways. But take a listen and if you don't agree that the distortion and grit has a definate dopeness to it, I'll agree with all y'all and stop posting in this thread!

i know Lo Fi is trendy. and it is a signature sound of early hiphop... but its just one technique/style...

#39 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:46 AM

o yeah, your beats are cool, but they're too quiet.

#40 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:48 AM

it is a signature sound of early hiphop... but its just one technique/style...

thats the music I love! and thats what I was sayin!
anyway time to leave this shit alone, hope I ant pissed off too many people ;) almost got as much of a grillin as bronx nigga on his "indian music sucks" tip

#41 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

bronx nigga on his "indian music sucks" tip

that was pretty desperate wasnt it...

#42 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

o yeah, your beats are cool, but they're too quiet.

yeah thats my problem with mastering to digi, I can't get the levels loud enough without fuckin the sound!

as for pretty desperate
I'm just chattin shit, should prolly get on with some work, gettin too caught up in this

(ha we got three pages here which have fuck all to do with Rome's mix, feel a bit bad for the fella)

#43 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:46 AM

hey man my thread gets jacked to have a 3 pages discussion over analog vs digital, ill take it haha, better then hearing about my shit mix

#44 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

hey man my thread gets jacked to have a 3 pages discussion over analog vs digital, ill take it haha, better then hearing about my shit mix

yo, I'm gon download your mix now, feelin guilty!

take that back.... FILE NOT FOUND

#45 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

did you try the other links? not the first one in the thread

#46 Grandmaster Mighty White

Grandmaster Mighty White

borderline schizo....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

did you try the other links? not the first one in the thread

listenin.... props for umi says, thats a personal favorite

yo, nice selection of records, but they were just all straight drops though, and nuffin was in time, made me itchy, needed a scratch! :D
keep workin on it and maybe you'll convince me that comp mixes aint all that bad

#47 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

haha thanks man, umi is such a good song

I made another mix and matched up the beats and what not, but honestly, I hate having the comp setup now haha

might be using some student loan $ and pickin up a dnx-1500s, not to sure if i want a tech12 or a cdj800, 2 completely diff setups, but i am gunna rock another mpc with it too, then in due time, another deck :D

#48 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

you could always just get a job thats how i paid for mine and my studio equipment

#49 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

yea thats another possibility. But its gunna take a long fuckin time

#50 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:31 AM

yea thats another possibility. But its gunna take a long fuckin time

well its all down to how bad you want it and how serious you are

#51 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Oh I know, took me so long to get my old setup runnin, but it was all well worth it, I wish I never sold it :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users