41 replies to this topic

#1 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:55 AM

I know I'm going to catch alot of flack for this but I think Jay Dee is over rated. Donuts is one of my favorite albums of all time, but to tell you the truth (this is my opinion and I am entitled to it), I really wasn't feeling the Shining or Jay Love Japan that much... or even Champion Sound for that matter. They were just ight to me. In no way classics with the exception of "Donuts". I know that I am not the only one either judging from topics on the old board.
Haters, tip your waitresses.........

Again, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

#2 lib

lib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

I know I'm going to catch alot of flack for this but I think Jay Dee is over rated. Donuts is one of my favorite albums of all time, but to tell you the truth (this is my opinion and I am entitled to it), I really wasn't feeling the Shining or Jay Love Japan that much... or even Champion Sound for that matter. They were just ight to me. 1 or 2 listens then it hits the shelf type ish. In no way classics with the exception of "Donuts". I know that I am not the only one either judging from topics on the old board. Haters, tip your waitresses.........

Again, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

i dont think he is over rated. sure donuts is some of his best work, thats generally most fans opinions. but look at the work this man has done. Musically fantastic vol 2 is on some other ish. Then looking at the shining, maybe we expected a little more, but thats still classic. jay love japan we have yet to hear in full. But cahampion sound is one of my all time favourite, dillas beats AND rhymes on there are top notch, similar to his work on the Ruff draft ep which is genius. all this isnt even mentioning his work on 48 hours,tribe,busta and common albums. oh and d,angelo and erykha. over rated, come on?

#3 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:15 AM

i dont think he is over rated. sure donuts is some of his best work, thats generally most fans opinions. but look at the work this man has done. Musically fantastic vol 2 is on some other ish. Then looking at the shining, maybe we expected a little more, but thats still classic. jay love japan we have yet to hear in full. But cahampion sound is one of my all time favourite, dillas beats AND rhymes on there are top notch, similar to his work on the Ruff draft ep which is genius. all this isnt even mentioning his work on 48 hours,tribe,busta and common albums. oh and d,angelo and erykha. over rated, come on?

I am not doubting his credibility as a producer, it's just that I always hear, or read, people saying that Jay Dee is the best producer ever, blah blah blah. How could you say that "the shining" is a Classic. To me "Classic" is a word reserved for masterpieces, timeless works of art, etc. I'm sorry but I don't think the Shining falls into that catagory in my book. Is it an album that I would listen to 10 years from now? I dont think so. Donuts, on the other hand, I will listen to 20 years from now. "Donuts" is a masterpiece, a true "Classic".

#4 envy sible

envy sible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

dilla's way to sample, his drums, rhytms, grooves, the samples he used (especially on the infamous jaylib beats all full of good ol' weird prog.rock samples).. all this -for me- is something no other producer ever did before him in the way he did. and it all influenced soooo many productions after him. take this whole neo-soul-shit for example. that's what makes him rather under- than overated. the same goes for madlib.

#5 labeledasabadcharacter

labeledasabadcharacter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:I'm an addict for sneakers, 20's of buddah and bitches with beepers.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

Well all I have to say on the subject is that he has done alot for this music. There's alot of clones out there. None compare. And no, not everything the man put his hands on was "Classic" but you can't deny his impact on hip hop music and then some. All the hype is in direct relation to his death imo. Which is too bad because he was just as great when he was with us and was due props as much then as he gets now.

#6 lib

lib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

Well all I have to say on the subject is that he has done alot for this music. There's alot of clones out there. None compare. And no, not everything the man put his hands on was "Classic" but you can't deny his impact on hip hop music and then some. All the hype is in direct relation to his death imo. Which is too bad because he was just as great when he was with us and was due props as much then as he gets now.

yeah thats a good point, although i do feel if he had been alive today and donuts and the shining had been released more people would have realised his impact more than they did in january before donuts came. true not all he touched was classic, but special in his original type way. and i believe i will play the shining in 10 years, actually i know i will. how anyone can say dillas stuff is shelved after 2 listens doesnt fully appreciate him.

#7 GoosDiff

GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC!

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:05 AM

what about welcome 2 detroit BleeHLH ??? it's well important innt

#8 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

how anyone can say dillas stuff is shelved after 2 listens doesnt fully appreciate him.

I guess I was exagerating. I definitley gave them more then 2 listens. It's just that I must be tired of everybody blowing him up after his passing and not so much when he was with us.

I agree with all the points thus far.

#9 L.Quattlebaum

L.Quattlebaum

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

you are also referencing 2 albums that came out after his death.
he had an amazing career way before his relationship with stones throw.
if you have only heard of jay dee since he's been on ST, then do some fucking homework, kid.
he was a genius even before SV.
sounds like you've jumped on & off the bandwagon before you can even say, "fan-tas-ero..."

i think you are making a very uneducated opinion.

#10 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:REAL hip-hop, psychology, and starting my own label

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

Man, at least I can say I'm not a 'new' Dilla fan. Been loving his style since the 90's.

But anyway, it seems like you have issues, with his latest shit. And that's cool, but what about eveything else?

C'mon, ATCQ, DE LA, Busta, Com, Pharcyde, D'angelo, Janet, SV, I hope I don't have to keep going. He's made some nice ass beats for these guys.

Then we have Fantastic 1&2, Welcome 2 Detroit, Ruff Draft.

I mean don't say he's overrated when you're basing your opinion off of his latest shit and some shit that's not even released yet (even though I think I like the JLJ instrumentals better, so we're cool there)!

But ya know sun, that is your opinion and we can still eat cake today on my birthday, we just won't talk Dilla :(

#11 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

he's not overrated. no need to discuss it. i guess all the talk about him after his death is just because you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

he's one of the those guys that make you go: damn, what's this? and there's not many guys like that. his music is not only inspiring but the reason many of us make music like we do.

from the slum tracks to the de la and atcq tracks and back again with jaylib.

#12 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

Considering that Jay Love Japan is not yet really a record, I'd say yeah it's over rated. It doesnt even fucking exist, you dope. Now quick your bitching.

Lets not get juvenile with the damn name calling. And did I ever say that Dilla was not a dope ass producer. I love how people put words in my mouth. To ever say that would be upserd. I respect him and what he has done for hip hop. I guess I am just tired of seeing him mentioned in EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this damn board. And honestly, if any other hip hop producer died they would all of a sudden be the greatest producer ever. Thats all I am trying to say.

I understand all the young cats that wanna lash out, they never knew anything doper in their young lives.

And yes, Jay Love Japan does exist. Stop hatin cuz you dont have it.

#13 TRX

TRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Making music, watching good movies, eating good food, you get the idea

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

I think sometimes Jay Dee fans do get a little out of hand (e.g. "Dilla is God" or "I never heard a Dilla beat I didn't love" <---I have), but I saw him as a multi-talented artist...he could sing, he could make beats, play instruments, write, rap......he just touched/touches a lot of people with the melodies he put out, that's why they see him even higher than he is and believe that he is an original with no influences (which is false).... :(

#14 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

Lets not get juvenile with the damn name calling. And did I ever say that Dilla was not a dope ass producer. I love how people put words in my mouth. To ever say that would be upserd. I respect him and what he has done for hip hop. I guess I am just tired of seeing him mentioned in EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this damn board. And honestly, if any other hip hop producer died they would all of a sudden be the greatest producer ever. Thats all I am trying to say.

I understand all the young cats that wanna lash out, they never knew anything doper in their young lives.

And yes, Jay Love Japan does exist. Stop hatin cuz you dont have it.

Dude...

You Have Said That Shit Like 3 Times before and It Seems To Me Like You Just Started A New Thread About Dilla

Some One Needs To Practice Their Preachings

#15 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

You Have Said That Shit Like 3 Times before and It Seems To Me Like You Just Started A New Thread About Dilla

Some One Needs To Practice Their Preachings

I'm not going to get into a juvenile ass arguement with anybody.

Dilla is dope.. nuff said.

#16 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

you are also referencing 2 albums that came out after his death.
he had an amazing career way before his relationship with stones throw.
if you have only heard of jay dee since he's been on ST, then do some fucking homework, kid.
he was a genius even before SV.
sounds like you've jumped on & off the bandwagon before you can even say, "fan-tas-ero..."

i think you are making a very uneducated opinion.

Who are you to pass judgemnet on me? Do you know me?

That is what I am trying to say also. Too many dilz riders since he got with stones throw. I've been a "Jay Dee" fan since his days with Slum, ATCQ, Phife and Q tips solo joints, etc..

This is the summary of what I brought up for those of you who wanna blow it out of proportion and put words in my mouth:

All I said is that I wasn't feelin' Champion Sound, The Shining, or Jay Love Japan that much. And that is compared to Donuts, His work with Tribe, Slum, Q tip, Phife, Etc. I happen to like those works better then all the other stuff previously mentioned. And it just seems like everybody is riding the dilz on all his stuff with Stones Throw for some reason.

#17 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

I'm not going to get into a juvenile ass arguement with anybody.

Dilla is dope.. nuff said.

I'm Not Trying to Argue With You

Just Pointing Out Your Hypocracy

#18 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

I'm Not Trying to Argue With You

Just Pointing Out Your Hypocracy

I understand how you could think that, but this is not like all the other Dilla threads.

BTW... When did I say that 3 times?

#19 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

I understand how you could think that, but this is not like all the other Dilla threads.

BTW... When did I say that 3 times?

You Said It Twice That I Can Remember
Which Is One Away From Three

And Considering I Said ""Like" Three Times", Insinuating An Estimate, I Don't Feel You Need to Start Picking My Posts Apart With Your Cool Acronyms Like BTW

Plus
You Have Claimed Twice That You See Dilla Mentioned In "EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this damn board." You Again Need to Check Yourself On WHO is Really Exaggerating

And The Fact That This Thread Isn't Like the Other Dilla Threads IS True
But The Only Difference Is That YOUR Talking Shit About Him
Most Of the Others Were Mostly Praising The Man

Again I'm Not Trying to Argue With You
Just Point Out Obvious Flaws In Your Logic

Keep It Breezy Dog

#20 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

But The Only Difference Is That YOUR Talking Shit About Him
Most Of the Others Were Mostly Praising The Man

"Talking Shit".... Where do you get that?

BTW.... Are you kidding me?

#21 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

"Talking Shit".... Where do you get that?

BTW.... Are you kidding me?

I think Jay Dee is over rated.

Your Own Words Sir

#22 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

I dont think that qualifies as talking shit... Sorry

#23 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

Calm down, sir. Come over to my party and get some cake and a shot of Grey Goose :)

#24 4% earf bodee X

4% earf bodee X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

I was about to make some comments, then I saw Grey Goose and forgot what I was fin to say

#25 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

You Know What I Mean

You Know You Do

#26 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

Your Own Words Sir

dilla is not over rated, just talked about a whole lot since his death.

you look his work overall and then you can say, that guy is a genius...but the fact is dilla/jay dee, whatever you want to call him is far from over rated, and is one of the best producers ever.

#27 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

Whatever!

#28 I Self 720

I Self 720

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:23 PM

If anything he was very Underrated!! So many people LOVED Common's Like Water for Chocalate for example and dont even know that Jay Dee produced the bulk of that LP!!

#29 Toya?

Toya?

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

I was about to make some comments, then I saw Grey Goose and forgot what I was fin to say

hahahaha you silly!

Party Here!

#30 jaylib06

jaylib06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Dilla is a Genius, NUFF SAID :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users