• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mewmo

mewmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

So there were some release parties for the Baron Zen remixes last week - and some free mix CDs handed out at the after-party. Did anyone get one? Care to let us know what was on it - is it a PBW mix or a Baron mix CD? Worth tracking down? Thanks!

Long before making his name as a DJ/Producer and founding Stones Throw Records, Peanut Butter Wolf was programming drums for a one-man punk/rock/disco army known as Baron Zen (aka Sweet Steve). Known, that is to almost no one, because Baron Zen did not play any shows, did not release records, rejected all forms of publicity, and above all, rejected the boundaries separating hip-hop, disco, punk rock, and pop. Baron Zen today sounds like suburban punk rock garage bands of the '80s and the DJ culture of today... or The Dead Milkmen if they had been hip-hop b-boys.

WED 9/19 | PRE-PARTY (7P-9P): FREE IN-STORE @ TURNTABLE LAB

424 N.Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
FREE | All Ages

Dj's: Sweet Steve & dăm-funk + Free Beer & Limited Edition Giveaways.

Early Arrival highly recommended!

WED 9/19 | AFTER-PARTY @ THE ROXY(9P-?)
1st '200' people get a FREE MIX CD!!!!!!

#2 tankdayglo

tankdayglo

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

So there were some release parties for the Baron Zen remixes last week - and some free mix CDs handed out at the after-party. Did anyone get one? Care to let us know what was on it - is it a PBW mix or a Baron mix CD? Worth tracking down? Thanks!
Long before making his name as a DJ/Producer and founding Stones Throw Records, Peanut Butter Wolf was programming drums for a one-man punk/rock/disco army known as Baron Zen (aka Sweet Steve). Known, that is to almost no one, because Baron Zen did not play any shows, did not release records, rejected all forms of publicity, and above all, rejected the boundaries separating hip-hop, disco, punk rock, and pop. Baron Zen today sounds like suburban punk rock garage bands of the '80s and the DJ culture of today... or The Dead Milkmen if they had been hip-hop b-boys.
WED 9/19 | PRE-PARTY (7P-9P): FREE IN-STORE @ TURNTABLE LAB

424 N.Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
FREE | All Ages

Dj's: Sweet Steve & dăm-funk + Free Beer & Limited Edition Giveaways.

Early Arrival highly recommended!
WED 9/19 | AFTER-PARTY @ THE ROXY(9P-?)
1st '200' people get a FREE MIX CD!!!!!!

I didn't go to the event, but I went to Turntable Lab the day after and they still had two mix CDs that were being given away during the event. I don't have them right in front of me and I haven't gotten to listen to them but one was a Baron Zen West Coast Mix, which according to the tracklist seems to have a pretty wide spanning selection of west coast music, the second is DJ Chris & DJ Steve Best of 1983, that one doesn't have a tracklist so I'm not sure what it has to offer, gonna check em out tonight. I'm not sure which CD was part of the "1st '200' people get a FREE MIX CD" thing, but it seems like the Baron Zen one would make sense since it's Baron Zen on the West Coast, but only the first 200 people who went to the Roxy would really know.

#3 Pauper

Pauper

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

i went to the show in Chicago.
there were two different mix cd's handed out.

one was called "Dj Chris and Dj Steve's Best of 1983 Countdown"
its supposedly a very young pbwolf and sweet steve and its a top ten countdown of songs they like in 1983.
its very good, and their commentary is very funny.. im just not sure its them. but if it is... priceless.

the other was a "Baron Zen West Coast Mixtape"
and has 30-somethin tracks of west coast hip hop, funk, rock, and whatever else..
i havent listened to it all, but its pretty dang good so far. a lot of well-known names, as well as a lot i dont recognize,
but they sound great.

so not really any exclusive music if thats what you were hoping for.
its just stuff thats been compiled and mixed by them. and a lot of it can be found fairly easily.
but they are nice little cds.

#4 mewmo

mewmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:18 AM

Thanks all!

#5 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

one was called "Dj Chris and Dj Steve's Best of 1983 Countdown"
its supposedly a very young pbwolf and sweet steve and its a top ten countdown of songs they like in 1983.
its very good, and their commentary is very funny.. im just not sure its them. but if it is... priceless.

That was an episode of the ST podcast too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users