• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hip-Hop Kulture, Skateboarding, Basketball & Existing
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/YouGee

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:29 AM

VOTING RULES

1. 1st vote is your final vote.

2. No votes after the deadline.

3. Voting will start NOW and end Sunday, September 9nd @ 12AM EST.

4. We'll vote by simply stating the name of the person. Please be sure when you vote and do not edit it.

5. YOU CANNOT vote for yourself.

The Recap:
djcplus
TKurata
SubBass49
django
Bill
Jason
Check your links to make sure they're correct.
I've only listened to a few so i'll listen when I get off around 3.
NOW VOTE PEOPLE!
Thanks.

#2 Josh G

Josh G

Gonzo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:47 AM

Bill

#3 Guest_Doom_Addikts225_*

Guest_Doom_Addikts225_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

big sub

#4 Audioholik

Audioholik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

most defenatly bill!!

sorry for takin a lil break. I really have no time to make beats the last days...hopefully it comes back to real soon.

hope to see yaŽll next round

#5 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

Bill.

#6 quasquasquas

quasquasquas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

vote goes for BILL

#7 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

good work guys --- its really close for me between Bill and CPlus...

but i vote for DJCPlus mainly because of that heavy drum breakdown halfway through. awesome!!

#8 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

I'm gonna hafta go with DJcPLUS as well...

Bill and TKurata are a close second in my book...

#9 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

c+

#10 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Pretty dead. not much feedback either, huh. no love for the new guy? aiiight thats cool.

-->SubBass<--

#11 Jason

Jason

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Pretty dead. not much feedback either, huh. no love for the new guy? aiiight thats cool.

-->SubBass<--

I think Its close call between Dj cplus and Bill, Im gonna go with the crazy mad effort put in to this beat.......
DJ Djcplus!!!!

#12 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

i gotta go to sleep for like a couple of hours before i do my community service today so i aint gonna expand so much with the feedbacks

ill just that i think ill go for djc as well, though bill and subbass came vervyery close....i just think djc came out with something abti different

props for everyone though. nice beats for all...

#13 djcplus

djcplus

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:02 AM

TKurata
SubBass49
django
Bill
Jason

i had to give it to bill yo ... very souful tip chill style ...

but i yo thanks for the feedback ... its very uplifting

ill have a sample soon up

thank you guys very much ...

i have much respect for all yall puttin stuff out ther for us to hear

#14 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:12 AM

wow...125+ views and 10 votes. SL, hows come you didn't vote? a lot of the beat heads from #31 and #30 didn't even bother to stop by (i guess). Almost no feedback. This is kind of disappointing, but I'll be back next week because the music is top-notch all round. good job to everybody, it was all tight. seemed like voters appear to like maybe fewer themes over a longer running time. my strategy was to pack a few ideas into a short track, being that heads are probably busy. if this is a beat battle...i'm thinking i can cut my ish later if i need to extend the run time. anyway that's my two cents.

i'll come back later and type a sentence bout da ish i didn't type a sentence about in the battle thread for #32. i listened to them all multiple times, might as well type a sentence bout each.

congrats to C+, that lead sample had my head noddin every time...very nice! the drum breakdown had that perfect apocalyptic tip that only the grind of lo fi can really hit on.

more than one sample this time would be aiight with me,

-TKurata

#15 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

I'm gonna hafta make a new banner or something to recruit cats to drop in.

Here's my theory about the feedback though:

A lot of cats don't wanna leave feedback because they don't want to draw attention to the positives of the other contenders and not to themselves. To be honest, I don't really care all that much...I use these as a learning experience and a challenge, but winning isn't the most important thing about it...getting better is. That's why I don't mind posting up feedback/critiques.

Anyway...just a theory.

#16 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

My theory is this

Ive been in or around the beat battle since battle 9 i think, when i started there was about 7-8 players. at one point that got up to about 15 now its gone back to 4-5 people playing, theres a combination of factors i think

1. Sample choice - not all the samples have been everyones cup of tea, that puts alot of folk off, you could post up your most prized classic sample track here and some folk would still say its wack!! thats the difference of taste were dealing with here on this forum suprisingly, ive had to post a sample afew times and it made me think its impossible to please all.

2. Other People Voting - theres obviously alot of people here using the other sections of this forum regularly, and could easily check out the beat battle and vote but choose not to, dont take this the wrong way folks, but i gotta be honest and say it can get a little stale now listening every week to beat battle tracks, the only way for this not to be stale is if everyones track is superb, which is not realistic...you have to consider that the majority of people on this board (who dont make music) have two choices on a friday, listen to an hours worth of mediocre beat battle tracks, or put on slum village - fantastic vol 1, you cant blame them for choosing the latter, they just dont have the time/sympathy for learners, all they want is good music.

3. More important things - people have got real shit to do i guess, beyond the beat battle....like myself for example, ive had to work all weekend and ive just got back from a 12 hour shift on a sunday, i dont wanna do that type of shit but thats why i didnt pass comments or vote. i cant speak for the others but ive found that the majority of people here call a spade a spade....folk ive argued with here like ern or shakey will still give there honest unbiased opinion on the music, theres no evil in not leaving comments, thats just paranoia, its like trying to say people want to put more shine on themselves to win, which is sorta offensive, i might be wrong but i dont think anyone wants to win it that bad, thats just sad.

if you want to get more people involved then we should each get other people to join in, i got a mate to join in afew times (jazzur) as you all make music you must know other people with music gear in real life that might have a go?

#17 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

Yeah...I could probably get some fresh blood into these battles...just hit up all the producers I've networked with over the last few years...but I definitely see what you're taling about.

And like you said...I don't always see eye to eye with you, but I ain't gonna let that have any effect on how I peep your music...it's quality every time (even when you don't spend that much time on it).

Anyway...I'm gonna set a goal for myself of getting at least 2 new heads to show up for this week. Let's see if I can do it...

#18 S.L.

S.L.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hip-Hop Kulture, Skateboarding, Basketball & Existing
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/YouGee

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:17 PM

SL, hows come you didn't vote?

I had to be to work at 6 yesterday morning. Aslong as i've been working there I have never had to be in at 6 so it was a little odd for me and early, you know? So once I got home I just instantly fell asleep because I was tired. And once I woke up it was already time to get ready to head out for the night.
I agree with what everyone else is saying though.

#19 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

I've been pretty good at entering and voting recently, but this week I just couldn't, too much to do to make a beat, and haven't been at home since friday..I'll give them all a listen tomorrow :lol:

#20 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

bill, regarding your second comment, i dont think thats accurate..................i dunno why i think theres something magical about listening to raw shit thats gonna get bent into shape as the years go by and experience adds up...wouldnt you give anything to listen to dilla beats from when he was 18 or 20....
or madlib....
obivously they wouldnt sound as professional, but they will be so interesting ............

sounds like im comparing each beat battle competitors to dilla and madlib, which im not, but music is such a broad domain that so many individuals can be considered brilliant...especially hip hop
its so varied.....

id unno what i was trying to say...too early in the morning :mellow:

#21 eric

eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:life,...music of course ;-)
  • Soundcloud:www.monkeyrobot.eu

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

bill.

#22 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:51 AM

bill, regarding your second comment, i dont think thats accurate..................i dunno why i think theres something magical about listening to raw shit thats gonna get bent into shape as the years go by and experience adds up...wouldnt you give anything to listen to dilla beats from when he was 18 or 20....
or madlib....
obivously they wouldnt sound as professional, but they will be so interesting ............

sounds like im comparing each beat battle competitors to dilla and madlib, which im not, but music is such a broad domain that so many individuals can be considered brilliant...especially hip hop
its so varied.....

id unno what i was trying to say...too early in the morning :P

I hear ya...and hell yes...I'd love to have been there from the beginning with Dilla...I mean...I'll say it straight out...ya'll beat battlers influence the direction my music has taken...and you influence my development as a beat maker. Imagine if one of these battle kids "makes it" some day...the rest of the battle folks would have had a hand in that...

#23 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

i see what your saying, but i guess thats the difference between the usa and here (uk), over there the chance does actually exist to make a living out of hip hop, whereas here there is nil chance of that, the only way ill ever 'make it' is in a regular job. i gotta be truthful and say im not more inspired by beat battle music than signed artists, theres nothing wrong with getting off on the battle music but i find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly admit they like this stuff more than the bought albums they own, each to there own though.

#24 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

I hear ya...and hell yes...I'd love to have been there from the beginning with Dilla...I mean...I'll say it straight out...ya'll beat battlers influence the direction my music has taken...and you influence my development as a beat maker. Imagine if one of these battle kids "makes it" some day...the rest of the battle folks would have had a hand in that...

"Now not only for the money"
We're not only for them ends because if I wasn't gettin' paid
I'd still be dropping beats until my grave

The way I see it, we've already made it. For me, the creation is where it's at--the act of making some new and beautiful. I love the raw, exciting sounds of amateur beat heads. It's not like new Dilla/Madlib beats are coming out often, in fact, hardly ever. Even the not-so-good beats from the battles are good for learning what not to do.

I agree mostly with what you guys are sayin about these battles...I guess I was just hoping for more dialogue about the actual beats. Maybe it would be less time-consuming for voters if tracks had a 2 minute limit or something. Or, maybe the beat deadline for beats should be Sunday MIDNIGHT, and voting throughout the week. The winner of the previous week would also submit a sample by Sunday. Voting deadline Friday night MIDNIGHT. That way peeps can listen to tracks and vote all week, winner decided on Saturday. Anyway, something that doesn't involve lots of time/effort over the weekend might be helpful.

I'm in this week, we have one long ass Grand Funk sample track to work from... I'll see you guys on Friday with a new beat, peace and respek to everyone on here.

EDIT: in response to Bill, yeah, often the beats on here are more inspiring than pro releases, if for no reason than to hear the ish that a regular joe made rather than some studio supported producer. If you hear something real hot on here, you just know that you can achieve that too if you try hard enough.

-TKurata

#25 django

django

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

tk pretty much got it....i think we already made it in a way

and i also agree that it's been probably 1 or 2 months in which 90% of what i listened to were beat battle beats....thats why i love hiphop so much, it just sounds so good....almost dont matter how and who

bill....i think its all how you think
i bet every person thinks that about his own country.....people from the us probably say that the most since they have so much competition...
if youre good in makin it and you do good to good people....youre on your way....

#26 TKurata

TKurata

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

I was on the shitter reading Lester Bangs and I came across this quote:

"...the most talented professional musicianly bands are stupid and visionless and exactly alike."

Obviously I'm not talking about this in reference to Madlb/Dilla...it's just that it doesn't matter who creates, it matters what is created. Professionalism can often lead to the stifling of ideas. Like I said before, even the bad ideas can be inspirational.

I've only been here for a week or two and I'm already learning more thanks to you guys, keep it up and TURN IT UP!!!

-TKurata

#27 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

bill, your shit is dope as usual this week. maybe you should move over here and start getting some money$ for that
i gotta agree w/ him too about the reason why most people don't enter or vote.
i usually just start too late and don't wanna hand in a half done track

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users