#1 Theodore

Theodore

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Video Games, Pizza

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

I want one of these. Should I get the cheaper, nicer looking one? Or the newer, updated one?
What are the advantages of the 404 over the 303? Disadvantages?

#2 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

MPC :lol:

#3 Theodore

Theodore

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

MPC :lol:

Too pricey. :P

#4 captaincookie

captaincookie

STMC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

aye, it be worth it.

Save up

#5 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

how much u willing to spend? if you think about it you can probably scrounge enough money one way or another. most mpc 2000xls can be sought out via craigslist or at guitar center for 700 or less. think about it, ditch starbucks, the strip club, record shopping, and other minor things for a month and see how much you have left over.

#6 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUICK ANSWER:
404 more pads, battery powered, few extra effects

303 better sample bouncing capability from 6 pads to one, pads feel better, a tad smaller, NOT battery powered LESS pads...

choose wisely

#7 Theodore

Theodore

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

ditch starbucks, the strip club, record shopping

I don't drink coffee. Not sure if I can give up the other two. :D

#8 jlft

jlft

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

i've used both and:

404 advantages: compact flash, more pads, faster processing, more banks, 24 bit converters
404 disadvantages: ugly
303 advantages: better looking, pads feel better to me
303 disadvantages: smartmedia, less banks

#9 LoopSkywalker

LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

id say 404, you can find some around 300. not a bad deal. and its portable.

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

I don't drink coffee. Not sure if I can give up the other two. :lol:

sacrafices have to be made if you really want sumthin

#11 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

if you can wait......try out the sp-555........in terms of the other two.....get the 404....the effects sound much better and you get 12 voices versus the 303 which only has 8 voice polyphony. the black 303 looks cooler but when you are layering your drums the extra 4 voices can really help.

#12 Conzo

Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:55 AM

404. 303 is outdated and it's a bitch to find 64mb cards for that shit.
Trust the the 404 is well sick once you get the hang of things. Pretty cheap aswell.

#13 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

oh i just recently checked and the sp-555 will cost $595US brand new. considering the sp-404 is $395 and for $200 more you get a built in soundcard and that live looper feature. link that sp555 with a laptop and ableton live and you have beats for days.

#14 scabs

scabs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

oh i just recently checked and the sp-555 will cost $595US brand new. considering the sp-404 is $395 and for $200 more you get a built in soundcard and that live looper feature. link that sp555 with a laptop and ableton live and you have beats for days.

NICE.
GOODBYE 303
HELLO 555

#15 fritzypatzy

fritzypatzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:My beats, your beats, our beats

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Seriously, don't buy those.
I have those (sold the 303).
Good multieffects.
But very limited (you can not REALLY sequence and don't have various tracks).
For cheap you'd get a second hand mpc 2000..
Or a controller with pads, then use your computer as the sequencer, then buy an old sampler...
Still, it doesn't matter what you use, it's what you put into it...
But before having Madlib's skills,...

#16 LEVAR BURDEN

LEVAR BURDEN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

404. 303 is outdated and it's a bitch to find 64mb cards for that shit.
Trust the the 404 is well sick once you get the hang of things. Pretty cheap aswell.

no such thing as an outdated sampler

#17 scabs

scabs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

no scuch thing as an outdated sampler

thank you

#18 apparition

apparition

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

so iwas thinkin of buying the new korg tube box:

http://www.guitarcen...969-i1154240.gc

but i might be able to get an MPC 500 @ ebay for the same price. Any thoughts? All advice is much appreciated as Im broke and I prefer to buy the right workstation the first time.

#19 descry

descry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

no such thing as an outdated sampler

there's no such thing, but convenience is a God send.

#20 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:06 AM

I am new to the forums, but Ive had an mpc1000, sp 303, sp 404, borrowed a roland mv8000, a good friend of mine has a mpc 2500 and a 4000. Personally I dont like the mpc. When I originally bought the 1000 I thought it was dope, gunna rip shit up, but I hated the user interface and for what I was doing, I would get into the niddy griddy of what I was making, and I could never get what I wanted out of it, but thats all my fault not the mpc's, but for me I didnt like the interface. and Honestly, I love the Sp line, they just came out with the sp 555, which is a bigger 404, and I might pick it up, but I might also jump back into the mpc's and add a 500 to my set up, looking for something small really. But goto guitar center or somewere and just play with em, best thing you could do man

#21 Nerd

Nerd

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

303 gives a grimier sound because it has 20-bit converters (404 has 24 bit). the 404 has more FX though and it's real easy for making loops. the MPC 500 is still buggy at the moment so you may want to stay away from that for the time being and the sp-555 is useless and over-priced.

i'd say go with the 404, it's simple and intuitive to use and you'll actually have fun making beats.

#22 fritzypatzy

fritzypatzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

303 gives a grimier sound because it has 20-bit converters (404 has 24 bit). the 404 has more FX though and it's real easy for making loops. the MPC 500 is still buggy at the moment so you may want to stay away from that for the time being and the sp-555 is useless and over-priced.

i'd say go with the 404, it's simple and intuitive to use and you'll actually have fun making beats.

Go second hand MPC...At least you can REALLY sequence your stuff...
If you have some money, you can even get the MPC 1000 + OS jj (an operating system a genius japanese guy previously from Akaļ made that will transform it into a MPC 2500 for around 20$ - i mean grid edit and many goodies than are not in the 1000 when you buy it)...
I also have the 404. Cool for the effects though, but not for sequencing... But it seems some make really good tracks with it though... ;)

#23 fritzypatzy

fritzypatzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

Sorry i just realized i already posted the same thing here... Forgot about it...

#24 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

I wouldnt say the 555 is useless at all, are you basing that on the fact that its overpriced? I would agree with you on that, but as far as sampling and being able to connect to your computer and chop shit up, use the effects on the fly, its not that bad.

#25 Nerd

Nerd

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Go second hand MPC...At least you can REALLY sequence your stuff...
If you have some money, you can even get the MPC 1000 + OS jj (an operating system a genius japanese guy previously from Akaļ made that will transform it into a MPC 2500 for around 20$ - i mean grid edit and many goodies than are not in the 1000 when you buy it)...
I also have the 404. Cool for the effects though, but not for sequencing... But it seems some make really good tracks with it though... :lol:

the MPC 1000 has dodgy pads and THEY WILL FAIL ON YOU. all new MPC 1000 models are being shipped with new pads (same design as old MPCs, one big pad not 16 individual pads).
akai are offering the upgrade to the new pads for owners of the old model for $200. which is a little much seeing as how they basically have been selling a faulty product.
if you buy a MPC 1000 second-hand you will have to spend more money later fixing the thing. but you could always just buy an MPC 2000 used or something. cheap and reliable :(

I wouldnt say the 555 is useless at all, are you basing that on the fact that its overpriced? I would agree with you on that, but as far as sampling and being able to connect to your computer and chop shit up, use the effects on the fly, its not that bad.

i guess i'm just personally disappointed with the SP-555. the sequencer is the same as the 404, it's bigger than the 404 (which takes away a bit of the charm) and it lacks features for what it costs. you can check out this thread Roland Clan Forums to see some complaints made against it.

#26 fritzypatzy

fritzypatzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

555 is not useless.
But...
If you look well for it, for the same price, you can find a second hand MPC 2000...
So...

Then, Ok, if you want to chop it up, you have to do it in the MPC. But i think it's pretty comfortable compared to how RZA, or Pete Rock, or Prince Paul started.

I mean... You've got a screen on it so it's still easy...

EDIT : the pads will fail on you, right, but it depends how you hit them too... (MPC 1000)

#27 djrome

djrome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

I do agree with you fritzypatzy, I would rock a mpc2000 over any sp, hands down.

BUT I think the sp and mpc are 2 different machines. both are good with what they are made to do, when people think of the sp line, they think they are somewhat toys, which is bullish. the Mpc kills sequencing while the sp kills sampling and effects (for the price)

Mpc 1k pads do suck, I had 2 beak on me, but all I did was get a mpd16 and had basically double the pads, cept for the 2 on the mpc that broke

#28 fritzypatzy

fritzypatzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

I do agree with you fritzypatzy, I would rock a mpc2000 over any sp, hands down.

BUT I think the sp and mpc are 2 different machines. both are good with what they are made to do, when people think of the sp line, they think they are somewhat toys, which is bullish. the Mpc kills sequencing while the sp kills sampling and effects (for the price)
Mpc 1k pads do suck, I had 2 beak on me, but all I did was get a mpd16 and had basically double the pads, cept for the 2 on the mpc that broke

Probably the best to do when they fail.

For the rest, what is really better? having something to sequence or something that can't, to start with, if you have the choice between both?
Personnally, i prefer the one that sequences (and well)..
then, I told you, I have both, and i know which cool stuffs the 404 can do as well :lol:

#29 J.D

J.D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

I use the 303 and 404, and i use them as preferance over any mpc. Its liberating to breakout of the stagnant and formulated nature of the MPC's workflow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users