Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

Any wine drinkers on this board?

#2 NineSSix

NineSSix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

Thought about it, since I smoke cigars from time to time, I know they go well together. Don't know di*k about wine either.

#3 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

It's an aquired taste.

#4 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Thought about it, since I smoke cigars from time to time, I know they go well together. Don't know di*k about wine either.

wine and cigars.. no way

cigars and cognac, armangnac, aged brandy, aged tequila, and of course the single malt or a good 16 year old scotch....

big time wineo here.

trying to get a cease of this chardonnay that is virtually impossible to get. From the sonoma coast. Porter Chardonnay... Restaurant price is 58.00 a bottle.. i can probably score it wholesale for 30.00 max..

#5 mishk

mishk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

I drink far too much wine down here. Theres 2 wine growing regions about 1 hour away from where I live, ill take some photos next time im over that way

Time to bust out the rose for summer

peace
Mishk

#6 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

Cool, I be foreva sippin on Pinot Noir. Camelot is my favorite cheap bottle. I get it for like $8.99 if I can find it. I drink whites on occaision but I dont normally drink it only because I like my wine room temperature. And if I do drink whites I drink it room temperature unless someone offers me some.

Attached Files

#7 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

#8 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

good whites are to be served a hair below room temperature.. not ICE COLD. hahahah

the proper temperature opens up the flavor of the wine. Serving it cold only constricts it.

some like red's --others whites...

anyone into red zinfandel?

#9 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Often times, you can find me wearing an extravagant curried goat furr robe and customized house slippers, while drawing a hot bubble bath. It's times like those that I love to enjoy a fine bottle of Morgan David, more commonly known as MD20. It has a refined taste to it; oaky, sweet, with the perfect amount of tannins.

Ahhh, yes, mo'gan david is the best wine known to man.

#10 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

hmmm a 71 riesling trock. Have you tried it yet?

i can only imagine... hope your storing it properly...

The oldest white i had was a tokaji from Hungary, it was an estancia (the highest quality) . I think it's vintage was 1958.

It was so concentrated and mutilayered.... ughhhhhhh..

don't make me go to the wine shop!!!! (puts car keys back in pocket)

Often times, you can find me wearing an extravagant curried goat furr robe and customized house slippers, while drawing a hot bubble bath. It's times like those that I love to enjoy a fine bottle of Morgan David, more commonly known as MD20. It has a refined taste to it; oaky, sweet, with the perfect amount of tannins.

Ahhh, yes, mo'gan david is the best wine known to man.

MD is respectable... for moderately priced wines has anyone tried - David Bruce, or Sanford????

#11 Brother of Inertia

Brother of Inertia

ΩΩΩΩ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

<_< uuuuuhhhhh.....

i drink wine at thanksgiving.....heh :D

#12 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

MD is respectable... for moderately priced wines has anyone tried - David Bruce, or Sanford????

I hope your not talking about Mad Dog 20 20.

Ok, someone please explain to me what tannins are.

good whites are to be served a hair below room temperature.. not ICE COLD. hahahah

the proper temperature opens up the flavor of the wine. Serving it cold only constricts it.

some like red's --others whites...

anyone into red zinfandel?

Yeah most people keep their white in the refridgerator. Thats too cold for me.

Yeah, I can dig somes Zin's. I tried a Kendal Jackson that I didn't particularly care for and its over priced.

Dont get that Francis Coppola shit. Its a joke. All your paying for is the name.

Has anyone tried any Russian River valley pinot? I dying to, but I can't afford it most of the time. I also heard that Williamette Valley in Oregon has some good Pinot's.

#13 4% earf bodee X

4% earf bodee X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

cigars mos def go with some red wines...don't sleep

#14 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

any wine advertisement you might see in a magazine equally means crap!

kendall jackson - pass....

try chateau souverain. anything they put out for the price is great

people keep the whites in the fridge. only to chill them temporarily.. Like i was saying. let the white open up and try it a touch below room temperature.

cartlidge and brown is pretty good as well for the price point.

sonoma is where its at for chard and pinot.. beware a true sonoma russian river pinot noir is going to cost you 40 bucks at least.. they might be crap!!!

try david bruce, or sanford.. they are not from sonoma but they are a nice entry level pinot of better quality.

Also - invest in some good stemware (wine glass) i personally like riedel. Some say it's hype. you can purchase 2 or 3 riedel every day stemware's for about 10$ a piece. The stemware makes a tremendous difference.. It allows the wine to breath (open up) thus enhancing the subtle nuances of the wine that the vintor (wine craftsman) wanted you to enjoy....

it all makes a difference.

Wine and cigars - not familiar... Put me on!

#15 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

What does everybody think of Cabernets?

#16 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

had no idea you all were so sophisticated.

#17 miss stress

miss stress

Cool Table shareholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

sometimes I put cranberry juice in a wine glass and pretend like I'm drinking wine

TRUE STORY!

#18 Snit

Snit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:lampin

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

anything under $10 in a gallon jug is how i get down. chianti, merlot, burgandizzle..
dont like white wine too much though, on some though shit

#19 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

try chateau souverain. anything they put out for the price is great

cartlidge and brown is pretty good as well for the price point.
sonoma is where its at for chard and pinot.. beware a true sonoma russian river pinot noir is going to cost you 40 bucks at least.. they might be crap!!!

try david bruce, or sanford.. they are not from sonoma but they are a nice entry level pinot of better quality.

Also - invest in some good stemware (wine glass) i personally like riedel. Some say it's hype. you can purchase 2 or 3 riedel every day stemware's for about 10$ a piece. The stemware makes a tremendous difference.. It allows the wine to breath (open up) thus enhancing the subtle nuances of the wine that the vintor (wine craftsman) wanted you to enjoy....

it all makes a difference.
Wine and cigars - not familiar... Put me on!

I looked up all those brands you mentioned but they are all mostly $30 a bottle ish. What reds could you recommend in the $10 range. Anything except Merlot.

I also looked up that riedel stemware. I think I'm going to hit my moms up for that for Christmas. I like the classic vinums. They have a 4 glass wine tasting set for like $75.

#20 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

I looked up all those brands you mentioned but they are all mostly $30 a bottle ish. What reds could you recommend in the $10 range. Anything except Merlot.

I also looked up that riedel stemware. I think I'm going to hit my moms up for that for Christmas. I like the classic vinums. They have a 4 glass wine tasting set for like $75.

for riedel i'd just go for an everday wine glass with a wide lip. (champagne glass is more like a flute - small lip.)

chateau souverain should not be that much money...

you might also have some luck with gallo sonoma.

chateau st, jean should be cheap

anything by bonny doon vineyards

there are also some great grenache from france for under ten bucks...

cartlidge and brown is deffinetly under 10 bucks...

STAY away from turning leaf-- pure evil... that goes for mondavi as well with the exception of their fume' blanc tokalon vineyard which probably runs at 50 a bottle.

and DO NOT let the pretty labels sway your wallet. these are usually a cover up for a really poor quality wine.

rosemount from austraila is decent

marques de riscal from chile is reputable..

when winter comes we'll get into ports - HELL YEAH!!!!

good luck diggin...

i'd cop an issue of wine spectator. its a little commercial but its a good starting point. B.T.W. all the reviewers are just people - especially robert parker.. as your taste refines you'll be able to discern what pleases your palate. use the reviews as a lead... not as the holy grail.

as far as cabs... i have been sleeping on cabs for a long time... if i had the $$$ i'd go for pine ridge, louis, pride, and as mentioned dunn.

good cheap cabs require alot of FREE tasting's and magazine reads...

if you delve into a cheap cab let it rest (breath in the win glass for at least 15 minutes and only fill the glass about 30%.. this allows the red to open up.. You'll notice a difference in tatste...

just warning ya... getting into wine can get more costly than record collecting.. know your price limit... For holidays tho, i'd drop that extra loot on a better quality of wine.. You'll notice the difference if you score a bottle from a propper vineyard.

#21 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, someone at a tasting I went to recommended to me a "Talley" Pinot Noir. She said it was a $30 bottle but worth every penny. I'm going to spring for that one in the holy days.
http://www.talleyvineyards.com/

Have you tried any Willamette Valley (Oregon) Pinots? I've heard good things about them. Sorry, I'm just so into Pinot at the moment. Also "Castle Rock"... heard of that?

#22 DJ Design

DJ Design

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

http://lookrecords.com/funland/

#23 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

http://lookrecords.com/funland/

Thats fresh as hell!!!
How was (is) it?

#24 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

Sorry about the cork. thats why you have to buy the old ones laying down in a temperature controlled environment with proprer humidity. Decanting is on point especially for that 1971. The color looks so complex...looks like it was a good drink even though the cork rotted a bit?

so how was it?

#25 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, someone at a tasting I went to recommended to me a "Talley" Pinot Noir. She said it was a $30 bottle but worth every penny. I'm going to spring for that one in the holy days.
http://www.talleyvineyards.com/

Have you tried any Willamette Valley (Oregon) Pinots? I've heard good things about them. Sorry, I'm just so into Pinot at the moment. Also "Castle Rock"... heard of that?

Well?

#26 Snit

Snit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:lampin

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

this is the coolest thread i've read in a longtime... still like my $10 Livingston Burgandizzle though..

pace

#27 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

this is the coolest thread i've read in a longtime... still like my $10 Livingston Burgandizzle though..

pace

so get up in this!!!!!!!!

whats your favorite beverage??? im sure someones wiil have a reply ....

post up!

im having a 1982 chateau latour at the moment... anyone want a glass??? <_<

#28 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

im having a 1982 chateau latour at the moment... anyone want a glass??? laugh.gif

Hell yeah!

I'd say that my favorite bottle under $10 would have to be a Camelot 2005 Pinot. If I can find it. Also, Smoking Loon and Rex Goliath have good pinots under $10. I cant afford to buy $20 and up bottles. Only on holidays so I tend to stay at $10 and under.

#29 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

Hell yeah!

I'd say that my favorite bottle under $10 would have to be a Camelot 2005 Pinot. If I can find it. Also, Smoking Loon and Rex Goliath have good pinots under $10. I cant afford to buy $20 and up bottles. Only on holidays so I tend to stay at $10 and under.

yeah - i see your price range.. deffinetly get an issue of wine spectator.. they have a best buys section. Ususally 15$ and under.... its a good read.

If i was still in the wine industry i'd be able to reccomend wines in your range but i'm wiring buildings these days. This prior summer we completeled an entire floor on tower 7 (world trade center site) for ny academy of sciences.

#30 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

I just bought a bottle of "the Little Penguin" pinot..... GARBAGE! never again! I was just trying to check out something new. It was only $6.99 but I know some other wines in that range that are way better. If I'm going to go down to the $5 - $7 range, I'll stick to the ones I know are decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users