• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

yah whatever dude,

you were saying something about downlaoding music as a sample aource ( i thought)
so those were my thoughts.
if ur gonna do it,
i wouldnt let the thought of getting sued enter ur head esp if its only a song here and there.
mind you i dont download songs ever,
no real reason, just dont.

thanks for weighing in ren

#62 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

no problem.

#63 jayred

jayred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Watching the A-Team.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

OMG LYK I RECORD MY RECORDS ON TO MY COMPUTER THEN CHOP THEM AND THEN TRANSFER THROUGH THE USB TO MY 606. SOMETIMES I RECORD IT STRAIGHT TO MY 606 AND THEN CHOP IT ON THERE!!!OMGOMG OMGOMG!!! SUMTYMES I CHOP MP3S UP ON MY COMPUTER AND THEN TRANSFER THEM THROUGH THE USB! THAT WAYZ I DONTZ WAIZTS MY CDRS.!!!!!!!

I'm sorry.

#64 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

OMG LYK I RECORD MY RECORDS ON TO MY COMPUTER THEN CHOP THEM AND THEN TRANSFER THROUGH THE USB TO MY 606. SOMETIMES I RECORD IT STRAIGHT TO MY 606 AND THEN CHOP IT ON THERE!!!OMGOMG OMGOMG!!! SUMTYMES I CHOP MP3S UP ON MY COMPUTER AND THEN TRANSFER THEM THROUGH THE USB! THAT WAYZ I DONTZ WAIZTS MY CDRS.!!!!!!!
I'm sorry.

OMG YOUR JUST SOOOOOOO COOL. LIKE YOU DO THAT TOO?! LIKE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD. JEEZ, AND HERE I THOUGHT I WAS LIKE THE ONLY PERSON TO EVER SAMPLE AN MP3 OR RECORD MY VINYL INTO MY COMPUTER, OR SAMPLE OFF A TV COMMERCIAL, OR RECORD MY OWN SAMPLES AROUND TOWN WITH A MIC AND MY MINIDISC, OR SAMPLE MY LINNDRUM SO I CAN SUBSTITUTE THE CHEEZY LINNDRUM SOUNDS FOR REAL ONES, OR SAMPLE A CASSETTE, OR EVEN A VHS SO I GET THAT NASTY TAPE RING!!!!

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON WHO DID THAT AND SO I ALMOST FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO EDUCATE YOU GUYS ON HOW DIFFERENT WAYS TO SAMPLE CUZ SOME OF YOU JUST NEEEEEEEVER WOULD'VE THOUGHT OF ANY OF THAT.

SOMETIMES I'LL SAMPLE A CASIO KEYBOARD, AND THEN LAYER IT WITH A GRAND PIANO, AND AN ELECTRIC GUITAR, AND A KAZOO, AND TURN OUT WITH A TERRIBLE SOUND. BUT THEN I ADD A VINYL CRACKLE TO IT AND THEN RESAMPLE IT LO FI, THEN SEND THAT NOTE INTO FL AND SUDDENLY ITS THE HOTTEST PATCH IN HIPHOP AND I THEN USE THAT SOUND AND SELL MY BEATS FOR 200+

#65 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:01 AM

OMG YOUR JUST SOOOOOOO COOL. LIKE YOU DO THAT TOO?! LIKE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD. JEEZ, AND HERE I THOUGHT I WAS LIKE THE ONLY PERSON TO EVER SAMPLE AN MP3 OR RECORD MY VINYL INTO MY COMPUTER, OR SAMPLE OFF A TV COMMERCIAL, OR RECORD MY OWN SAMPLES AROUND TOWN WITH A MIC AND MY MINIDISC, OR SAMPLE MY LINNDRUM SO I CAN SUBSTITUTE THE CHEEZY LINNDRUM SOUNDS FOR REAL ONES, OR SAMPLE A CASSETTE, OR EVEN A VHS SO I GET THAT NASTY TAPE RING!!!!

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON WHO DID THAT AND SO I ALMOST FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO EDUCATE YOU GUYS ON HOW DIFFERENT WAYS TO SAMPLE CUZ SOME OF YOU JUST NEEEEEEEVER WOULD'VE THOUGHT OF ANY OF THAT.

SOMETIMES I'LL SAMPLE A CASIO KEYBOARD, AND THEN LAYER IT WITH A GRAND PIANO, AND AN ELECTRIC GUITAR, AND A KAZOO, AND TURN OUT WITH A TERRIBLE SOUND. BUT THEN I ADD A VINYL CRACKLE TO IT AND THEN RESAMPLE IT LO FI, THEN SEND THAT NOTE INTO FL AND SUDDENLY ITS THE HOTTEST PATCH IN HIPHOP AND I THEN USE THAT SOUND AND SELL MY BEATS FOR 200+

aight mate calm down... fuckin hell..

#66 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:10 AM

another dansmith certified 4 page thread <_<

#67 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

this is the lamest shit ive heard yet ---- downloading a bunch of mp3's and then sampling them!!! even if Dan Smith makes the most amazing beats ive ever heard he is now officially a massive toy in my book and will get no respect for anything he ever does.
call me a purist.... sample from OG wax only! you cant own any loops, as guru said, but you can spend the time to dig up the shit that no one else has looped.

digging for breaks is one of the founding pillars of hip hop - and must be taken seriously if you want your hip hop to be taken seriously.

lecture over. <_<

Not for nothin' but Madlib and PBW use breaks off of battle records....but who cares, a good beat is a good beat. You don't need to have the OG wax to make a banger. Shit, I love trading break files with my homies all the time, we share what we find and keep adding to the batch, it's definitely not the purist way to go, but shit, I still dig it.

Besides, the whole sampling records came about because the OG producers (who were poor kids coming from nothing) could make their own "band" by piecing together shit from records...because they didn't have the money or credibility to put together a professional band with instruments and mics and all that crazy shit. So, it would be pretty contradictory to say "you can only be considered legit if you are out there spending $10000's of dollars on OG wax and sampling from that.

To me, this shit is a "make-due" type of art. You stay creative, make your shit by any means necessary. Shit, I was fortunate to have a conversation with Evil D (BlackMoon) and he talked about how so many producers (himself included) will gank drums off of hip-hop tracks and make em' their own.

#68 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Dam, I think you will be able to cut a few of those steps out, though. Listen to what some of the other cats said about going straight from MP3 to Wav. and then into your machine.

#69 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

I think its actually pretty simple:

download, burn, chop, loop

I absolutely hate choping samples in AC!D, I used to do it and I just get fed up with it... Plus my stanton has cool effects I can add to tracks, pads so I dont have to chop very much from my mpc500, and I can adjust pitch and such...

Working with my hardware to make the beats is easier for me. But I know some guys who will f*** up a sample on Protools or Cubase....

#70 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

So...you put the sounds onto CD so you ca use the effects from your stanton? That's cool. If you hate fucking with acid, try soundforge.

#71 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

So...you put the sounds onto CD so you ca use the effects from your stanton? That's cool. If you hate fucking with acid, try soundforge.

I like ac!d for mixing and mastering, its very basic and thats what I like about it...

I wont chop or use vsts on it though because thats not my way of producing...

#72 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

Besides, the whole sampling records came about because the OG producers (who were poor kids coming from nothing) could make their own "band" by piecing together shit from records...because they didn't have the money or credibility to put together a professional band with instruments and mics and all that crazy shit. So, it would be pretty contradictory to say "you can only be considered legit if you are out there spending $10000's of dollars on OG wax and sampling from that.

i have to disagree with all this.

its got nothign to do with money --- you could buy an interesting record for $1 and find a killer break or loop on it -- the point is youve spent the time digging to find the right sound. youve earned that sound to chop or loop or whatever.. it hasnt been handed to you on a plate.

also - the first OG producers to loop records were -- and i could be wrong here -- marley marl or biz markie, that is to say the first ones to make beats out of looped samples as opposed to backing bands replaying the popular disco breaks or just using drum machine sounds. they didnt do it cos they couldnt afford a "band" -- they did it because they were waaaaay deep in the crates as its always been a hugely vital important part of hip hop music. people used to steam off the labels to their breaks records at block parties so no one else would be up on their shit!! that element has always been a part of hip hop. Biz markie has still got one of the worlds most insane record collections -- he has another house to store it in, if legend is to be believed!!!!

#73 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

I sample off of vinyl only. (with the exception of TV or something weird.)
BUT sometimes I will rip vinyl to my computer just so I can remember where
I got certain samples from because to tell you the truth, a lot of times its
easy for me to forget where I got a certain sample from....my workflow is
kinda scatterbrained.....am I wrong for this?

#74 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

not sure who was first to loop but ive heard primo say marley was the first to mix and match kicks and snares from different breaks,also i think ultimate breaks and beats helped ALOT of producers in the early days,i have no problems with repress or break records(as mentioned on here yes madlib does use them my mate used to put them out and gave him a grip when lootpack were in liverpool most of them record ended up on different projects),the whole mp3 thing is kinda sad though,but thats just my view fuck it people will do what they like and justify it in their own way

#75 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

....my workflow is
kinda scatterbrained.....am I wrong for this?

no thats my life in general,i was once going to make a zip disk of all chopped up kicks,snares,perc,loops etc etc got bored after 10 mins :lol: was a nice idea though

#76 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I actually made a zip disk with different sounds.....and it too forever! (64 for each pad)
but after a while, I got tired of hearing the same sounds so now it's back to being unorganized and
having to find a break/drum sound everytime I make music.....it's my own fault though. :(

#77 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:01 AM

--the point is youve spent the time digging to find the right sound. youve earned that sound to chop or loop or whatever--

also - the first OG producers to loop records were -- and i could be wrong here -- marley marl or biz markie, that is to say the first ones to make beats out of looped samples as opposed to backing bands replaying the popular disco breaks or just using drum machine sounds. they didnt do it cos they couldnt afford a "band" -- they did it because they were waaaaay deep in the crates as its always been a hugely vital important part of hip hop music. people used to steam off the labels to their breaks records at block parties so no one else would be up on their shit!! that element has always been a part of hip hop. Biz markie has still got one of the worlds most insane record collections -- he has another house to store it in, if legend is to be believed!!!!

Alright, you bring up a huge point and you are probably right; the OG producers most likely do feel the same way you do. However, I have to say I disagree...diligently digging does not (in my opinion) make you deserving of the sound (I know that is very contradictory to what most hip-hoppers feel). Does the sound, loop, chop sound any better/worse/more-unique if you dug really hard for it? I don't think it does. What does make a sample sound shitty, better/worse more unique is the producers ability to flip it and make it their own. That is why I personally don't give a shit where the producer gets their sounds from (CD, LP, MP3, whatever). What I care about (a characteristic that usually comes with [people like Pencilface] record/digging aficionados) is a genuine appreciation for the artists/tracks that they are sampling, because it's those artists that made your shit so special; their shit that you are sampling.

And I know I'm falling away from the initial topic, but I hate when people are all secretive about who they are sampling (understand that I realize that clearance issues are NOW a huuuuge deal with why that is done today....but it wasn't the case back in the Marley Marl Biz Markie days). I think it's bullshit that someone would hide the name of the artists that make their sound soooo fucking hot because they want to claim it as their own. Simply because they dug and found the record? That justifies them NOT giving proper recognition to the original artist? Nah, I've always been a fan of the Q-Bert/ISP way of doing things; share everything, bite everything and (again) do it in a way in which, eventually, (arguably, naturally) you will evolve into your own sound.

So, I guess, after all this rambling on my part, I have to stick with my feelings that the format of the sample is irrelevant to me, it's simply if you are willing to have an appreciation of the sounds/genres that you are sampling and, most importantly, if you are really trying to make your own sound, your own good music.

#78 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

I actually made a zip disk with different sounds.....and it too forever! (64 for each pad)
but after a while, I got tired of hearing the same sounds so now it's back to being unorganized and
having to find a break/drum sound everytime I make music.....it's my own fault though. :(

i do have this one kick,snare,hat that i use as a stock sound just to put in there until i have the right drums but i think starting a fresh is not a bad thing makes you work harder to find the sounds you want(although this can be frustrating at times)

#79 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

although this can be frustrating at times

You are right....it's the reason why I have a lot of unfinished songs....I still hang on to them for later.

I hate when people are all secretive about who they are sampling.

I have to agree with this. Even if it is off subject....

Like I've always said...If someone asks a sample source on this message board and I know it...I'm going to tell them.
I WILL NOT tell them out in the open where everyone can see but I will tell them in a PM. I'd never put anyone on blast out in the open but a PM is fair game....like a private phone call. I think sampling is great and I love it but if someone gets sued....that's their bad (including me if I ever got that big).

Sorry to get off the subject.....

Records...Yea, carry on.

#80 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

I sample off MP3's for fun, like in the beat battles. Also, if I come across some cool sounding MP3, of course I'm going to want to do something with it. At least for the fun of it.

But ever since I started buying vinyl, I've found songs better than any MP3 ever to find its way on to my harddrive, so there's no need for me to go out on some downloading spree :(

Sometimes I sample from vinyl to my sampler, sometimes I record the song to my computer and do the chopping in Wavelab and the song in FL Studio. It all depends on what I'm doing..

#81 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

bump.

#82 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

#83 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

I miss the days when these threads were both funny as fuck and informative at the same time Posted Image

#84 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

aight mate calm down... fuckin hell..

Damn I was pretty immature. I think I just really didn't like how he came off. I don't like how I came off either. We all grow.

#85 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

yeah i think we all did, bruh ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users