• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#31 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

Ahhh...well if that's the case, then yeah...they're lamers...it's one thing to find out who sampled what tracks...but don't just go and take the same exact loops KNOWING that someone else did it already.

I've gone back in hindsight and found out that some beats I've made were loops that had been done already, but I'd never set out to re-create a beat and pass it off as my own shit...that's lame...

I never use samples someone else has used if I cant help it... unless its for fun...

When I first started making music I bought alot of records I knew other producers bought just to see what things they were doing, looking for, etc...

I like recreating ICE CUBE's it was a good day from the Isely Bro. Footsteps in the Dark... thats a easy one to make, its just a loop... would never pass it as my own work...

#32 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,500 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

Do you really think with my pt. job I should go out and buy vinyl everytime I want to make a track?

I make cds to use with my stanton so I can sample them into my MPC because at the end of the day, I like working with hardware better then software... I do make the final mixs and masters in my computer on sony acid though...

i saved up and bought all my own gear and vinyl dan its what you do when you want things,why do you have to buy vinyl everytime you make a track? do you not have a collection you use?

i dont think the fact you use hardware makes much difference

but yeh good for you :huh:

#33 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

I respect your opinon bro, I know that sampling from wax is where hip hop came from...

However look at it from my perspective. Im saving for college which I will be attending in a year, saving for living costs, etc.

Do you really think with my pt. job I should go out and buy vinyl everytime I want to make a track? Have you even seen how much vinyl madlib, pete rock, etc. have???? A shit ton...

I love vinyl and will still sample from vinyl but right now, for me its more economical to only buy a few records and download alot of free cds...

I make cds to use with my stanton so I can sample them into my MPC because at the end of the day, I like working with hardware better then software... I do make the final mixs and masters in my computer on sony acid though...

If you can have FL Studios and be called a producer, then you sure as hell can download songs on cds to use with your mpc and cdj and still be a producer...

Make music no matter what...

well wont your 200$ beats pay for that?

and im with pencilface, diggin in them crates is where beats come from not itunes.

#34 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

i saved up and bought all my own gear and vinyl dan its what you do when you want things,why do you have to buy vinyl everytime you make a track? do you not have a collection you use?

You missed my point... I got alot of vinyl, Ive digged in my own crates millions of times... When your out of things to sample your out of things to sample...

No, I can afford to buy vinyl, cds, etc... but my focus right now is to ease up on those kinds of things for college... Plus you cant sample what isnt there... If a record doesnt have anything you like, whats there left to do with it???

What I do now is I sample pretty much everything if it sounds good and it isnt unreasonable... Like I was surprised Kanye sampled Daft punk for a song...

What are your guys code of ethics for sampling something?

Like, would you ever sample from Tupac or Bob Marley? Recent shit is what Im asking about... How high of a date do you guys go? Or is everything fair game???

#35 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

Like, would you ever sample from Tupac

i dont even listen to 2pac nevermind sample him!

#36 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

well wont your 200$ beats pay for that?

and im with pencilface, diggin in them crates is where beats come from not itunes.

Theres only 3 people in my town who are "rappers" and they dont come around every 2 weeks to pay me for studio time...

Plus 2 of those are my partners, and I dont charge them... especially since they are going to be on my album alot...

#37 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

i dont even listen to 2pac nevermind sample him!

I would never sample tupac but I was using him as an example for to signify if you would sample a artist from the last 10-15 years

#38 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

Like, would you ever sample from Tupac or Bob Marley? Recent shit is what Im asking about... How high of a date do you guys go? Or is everything fair game???

tupac?

bob marley is cool, not producing anything yet but i think you can go as current as you want, i kayne sample the young folks song and thats only a couple years old. but most "golden" stuff is in the 60s and 70s.

#39 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

I would never sample tupac but I was using him as an example for to signify if you would sample a artist from the last 10-15 years

u have brought this shit up b4 about sampling rappers,like how? like primo using the vocals as scratch hooks? that aint sampling and there is nothing wrong with that,any other way you might mean yes it would be wrong :huh:

fuck im getting dumber the longer i stay in this thread im out

sample what the fuck you want i could care less . . . .!

#40 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

tupac?

bob marley is cool, not producing anything yet but i think you can go as current as you want, i kayne sample the young folks song and thats only a couple years old. but most "golden" stuff is in the 60s and 70s.

I know, the best sh** comes from records but Ive had good luck with my parents old cds, burnt cds, etc...

By the way I heard someone on here say 9th uses MP3s???? I think he gets them from straight vinyl... I even would go so far to say that 9th uses an MPC, I mean have you seen the cover of the Buckshot and 9th album? He is pictured with an MPC, plus his stuff sounds like it came from an mpc, theres just some things you cant emulate with FL...

#41 Black76

Black76

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

You don't think using hardware makes much difference? Haha, you are hilarious.

#42 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

hang hang on

what exactly have you got twisted here?

dan has stated that by sampling burnt mp3's from c.d's into his mpc makes it not as bad as if he was just using in software

nothing to do with sound quality etc etc

so your point?

p.s

i have an mpc just for the record

#43 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

No, someone asked me why I dont chop the samples up on the computer instead of wasting a cd...

My anwser was I use hardware and prefer to use my mpc and stanton to chop up the samples...

As to which is superior hardware or software... i have no comment

#44 Black76

Black76

Rookie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Ok ok, I see what you mean

#45 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Ok ok, I see what you mean

That hardware vs. software stuff is a double edged sword...

needs both to survive...

#46 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

what i was saying is cant you upload the sample onto the mpc from the computer and cut out the whole burning it to a cd.

p.s. i dont have an mpc so if im saying something that is obviously not gonna work i apologize

#47 RUNE productions

RUNE productions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

YOU CAN SAMPLE ANYTHING.

#48 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

No, someone asked me why I dont chop the samples up on the computer instead of wasting a cd...

My anwser was I use hardware and prefer to use my mpc and stanton to chop up the samples...

As to which is superior hardware or software... i have no comment

Why dont you just route the audio out of you computer into your MPC? Save a CD and time. Or segment the sample section and transfer it via USB. I'm not trying to help you out or anything.

#49 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

what i was saying is cant you upload the sample onto the mpc from the computer and cut out the whole burning it to a cd.
p.s. i dont have an mpc so if im saying something that is obviously not gonna work i apologize

its just way easier from my hardware equipment...

i use AC!D which is very simple basic and easy... I dont have the time nor money to buy protools... Someday I will but I hear the learning curve is difficult..

#50 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Why dont you just route the audio out of you computer into your MPC? Save a CD and time. Or segment the sample section and transfer it via USB. I'm not trying to help you out or anything.

First off, I work at a computer store, so computer stuff is free for me, that means FREE CDS...

Plus guess where I download and burn those cds???? At My Computer shop!!!! Because M-F, there isnt shit to do... Plus, I didnt know that it takes long for cds to burn because everytime I burn a cd with around 20 songs on it, it takes minutes... whatever though...

Dont worry durty finga, you didnt help me at all, your advice was useless...

#51 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

whatever works for yah, lets hear that end result

#52 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

whatever works for yah, lets hear that end result

hot_cocoa, youve always been nice, so I will

#53 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

just PM me a 15 second clip thats all i ask :D :D :D

#54 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

First off, I work at a computer store, so computer stuff is free for me, that means FREE CDS...

Plus guess where I download and burn those cds???? At My Computer shop!!!! Because M-F, there isnt shit to do... Plus, I didnt know that it takes long for cds to burn because everytime I burn a cd with around 20 songs on it, it takes minutes... whatever though...

Dont worry durty finga, you didnt help me at all, your advice was useless...

Ha-ha ... ass clown...

#55 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

i like using itunes rather than a cd turntable to sample because its easier to skip through the tune. even though you can't see the grooves like in wax, it's better than holding the button down on a cd player. or just dragging it into garageband, then you can see the waveform, which is like magnified grooves.
of course vintage vinyl is essential, but it can get kind of expensive and time consuming

#56 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

i like using itunes rather than a cd turntable to sample because its easier to skip through the tune. even though you can't see the grooves like in wax, it's better than holding the button down on a cd player. or just dragging it into garageband, then you can see the waveform, which is like magnified grooves.
of course vintage vinyl is essential, but it can get kind of expensive and time consuming

Im pretty nervous about downloading music off the net. i hear the record companies sue individual people to make examples of them...

I dont use Itunes...

#57 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

they did,
just to make examples of some people when napster first blew up.
im not sure if they do it now,
probably to some extreme cases.

but in general, i wouldnt worry about it.

#58 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

they did,
just to make examples of some people when napster first blew up.
im not sure if they do it now,
probably to some extreme cases.

but in general, i wouldnt worry about it.

I know they rip on individuals in cases of MOVIES, my cousin downloads movies and his friend got sued and charged 3000 dollars... Really really bad... My cousin still does it though, I just saw Die Hard 4 thanks to him... (It sucked so its not worth a 3000 dollar fine :<)

But Ive havent heard of individuals getting charged for music downloads...

Personally, i think movie downloads are more serious... For me, if I like an album, I will buy it, but download it first...

#59 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

yah whatever dude,

you were saying something about downlaoding music as a sample aource ( i thought)
so those were my thoughts.

if ur gonna do it,
i wouldnt let the thought of getting sued enter ur head esp if its only a song here and there.
mind you i dont download songs ever,
no real reason, just dont.

#60 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

Im pretty nervous about downloading music off the net. i hear the record companies sue individual people to make examples of them...

I dont use Itunes...

sue you for what money?

you wont be making more than 10k on anything you put out.
the worse they can do is serve a desist notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users