• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

For awhile I have been using vinyl, my brother still does

However up until 2 weeks, I have been using burnt cds... with my Stanton Cdj turntables... why???

At first I did use the stanton because the cds of artists I like to sample like Isaac hayes or Gil Scott Heron are pretty expensive... 20 bucks a pop at least for one album...

It wasnt until 2 weeks ago that I started burning my own cds with random music from all sorts of genres. I go on ares and download anything that catches my eye, burn 20-40 songs a night on a cd and try to find samples with in those random songs cds...

I also download alot of instrumental pop, soul, rock, etc... even like techno...

I make sure that I chop, and that the samples are irrecognizable from the song... chop um up good...

With these random music cds and a stanton with 4 sampling pads hooked up to my MPC500, I dont need to do much triming at all. Sometimes all I need are 4 pads on my stanton...

Try that...

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

like Isassic Haynes

isaac hayes :)

#3 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

p.s

what is the point of this thread dan? are you telling us to do that or you telling us you did that?

can i start a thread and post up everytime i take a shit? logging my logs so to speak?

#4 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

isaac hayes :)

Damn, I knew I should have wrote Stevie wonder

#5 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

I was going to defend that as a typo, until I looked at my keyboard and noticed that the letter "N" is nowhere near "Y" or "E"

(shakes head sadly from side to side)

#6 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

p.s

what is the point of this thread dan? are you telling us to do that or you telling us you did that?

can i start a thread and post up everytime i take a shit? logging my logs so to speak?

Just showing you guys other ways to sample. There was a post here some guy posted wondering what he should sample... The question isnt always what, but how...

Some people think that they only can sample from vinyl when theres a shit ton of other ways to sample...

Also to inform you what i do...

#7 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Just showing you guys other ways to sample.

thanks

#8 Imperial_Mao

Imperial_Mao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Dan TOY

#9 Imperial_Mao

Imperial_Mao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Dan Smith = TOY

#10 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

Just showing you guys other ways to sample. There was a post here some guy posted wondering what he should sample... The question isnt always what, but how...

Some people think that they only can sample from vinyl when theres a shit ton of other ways to sample...

Also to inform you what i do...

the old board had a guy that sampled from cassettes. maybe 8tracks work too. or or you could use songs that play on the radio!

:)

#11 djbosco

djbosco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

as always another useless theard from dan, put up or fuck up dan

#12 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

wait so you burn songs onto a cd then put the cd in the cdjs then record the samples?

why not just convert the mp3's to WAV files and record your samples from the computer

#13 S.L.

S.L.

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hip-Hop Kulture, Skateboarding, Basketball & Existing
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/YouGee

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

wait so you burn songs onto a cd then put the cd in the cdjs then record the samples?
why not just convert the mp3's to WAV files and record your samples from the computer

HAHAHAHAHAH!
BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE WHAT DILLA & MADLIB DO.
I keed-I keed ;)
Posted Image

#14 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

#15 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

the old board had a guy that sampled from cassettes. maybe 8tracks work too. or or you could use songs that play on the radio!
:P

I've sampled off cassettes before when I used to use this....
Posted Image

I ordered it back in 95 or 96 from Upstairs Records by clipping
the ad out of the back of the Source.

"You've Come A Long Way Baby."

#16 tigermilk

tigermilk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

i'm really hoping that dan drops a classic on us. so that in ten years no one is talking about illmatic, it's all about the dan smith/vicelord/gangster 55 record.

#17 asterikss

asterikss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

..yea.. ..i wonder what if he does drop a fukkin classic and gets signed to s.t. :P ..that would be hella funny!

:(

#18 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:03 AM

this is the lamest shit ive heard yet ---- downloading a bunch of mp3's and then sampling them!!! even if Dan Smith makes the most amazing beats ive ever heard he is now officially a massive toy in my book and will get no respect for anything he ever does.

call me a purist.... sample from OG wax only! you cant own any loops, as guru said, but you can spend the time to dig up the shit that no one else has looped.

digging for breaks is one of the founding pillars of hip hop - and must be taken seriously if you want your hip hop to be taken seriously.

lecture over. :P

#19 DeeSupreme

DeeSupreme

growing up is for trees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

^ massive co-sign !

#20 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:56 AM

this is the lamest shit ive heard yet ---- downloading a bunch of mp3's and then sampling them!!!

dans predicted answer

"b-b-but 9th wonder samples mp3's"

#21 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

Dan Is Just Grasping At Straws These Days

He Googled How to Sample.
Got a Link to Another Forum
Copy And Pasted Some Guys Paragraph

This Is Getting Pathetic
The Only Reason For This Thread Is To Try And Make Someone Believe That He Knows What He's Talking About

I Say We Ban Dan Smith

#22 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

But....DAN SMITH CHANGED MY LIFE!!

:) :lol: :lol:

#23 Conzo

Conzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/inkliing

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

I don't even sample vinyl anymore, just get unknown, unheard and interesting music from the net.
Buying records is too expensive in london.

#24 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

this is the lamest shit ive heard yet ---- downloading a bunch of mp3's and then sampling them!!!

call me a purist.... sample from OG wax only!

Ummm...isn't this what we do in the Beat Battles? :)
  • Zexual likes this

#25 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

Ummm...isn't this what we do in the Beat Battles? :)

i think he is more talking about kids who go on the breaks look for whats been sampled go and download it from soulseek then are on myspace trying to sell their 'album' via paypal claiming they are 'the shit' and trust me there millions of em out there :lol:

#26 Genesis

Genesis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Get 'em how you get 'em

#27 Genesis

Genesis

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

I usually preview before I buy...

#28 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

i think he is more talking about kids who go on the breaks look for whats been sampled go and download it from soulseek then are on myspace trying to sell their 'album' via paypal claiming they are 'the shit' and trust me there millions of em out there :huh:

Ahhh...well if that's the case, then yeah...they're lamers...it's one thing to find out who sampled what tracks...but don't just go and take the same exact loops KNOWING that someone else did it already.

I've gone back in hindsight and found out that some beats I've made were loops that had been done already, but I'd never set out to re-create a beat and pass it off as my own shit...that's lame...

#29 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

this is the lamest shit ive heard yet ---- downloading a bunch of mp3's and then sampling them!!! even if Dan Smith makes the most amazing beats ive ever heard he is now officially a massive toy in my book and will get no respect for anything he ever does.
call me a purist.... sample from OG wax only! you cant own any loops, as guru said, but you can spend the time to dig up the shit that no one else has looped.

digging for breaks is one of the founding pillars of hip hop - and must be taken seriously if you want your hip hop to be taken seriously.

lecture over. :huh:

I respect your opinon bro, I know that sampling from wax is where hip hop came from...

However look at it from my perspective. Im saving for college which I will be attending in a year, saving for living costs, etc.

Do you really think with my pt. job I should go out and buy vinyl everytime I want to make a track? Have you even seen how much vinyl madlib, pete rock, etc. have???? A shit ton...

I love vinyl and will still sample from vinyl but right now, for me its more economical to only buy a few records and download alot of free cds...

I make cds to use with my stanton so I can sample them into my MPC because at the end of the day, I like working with hardware better then software... I do make the final mixs and masters in my computer on sony acid though...

If you can have FL Studios and be called a producer, then you sure as hell can download songs on cds to use with your mpc and cdj and still be a producer...

Make music no matter what...

#30 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

I don't even sample vinyl anymore, just get unknown, unheard and interesting music from the net.
Buying records is too expensive in london.

Buying things in general is expensive anywhere...

Especially here in the US, our economy is going to be f***ed in a year or so when the minium wage goes to 7.00... Can you say "inflation" plus the already high gas prices...

And Im going to college so Im already going to be poor...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users