11 replies to this topic

#1 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

so ive been thinkin alot about music lately, but mostly about the difference of appreciating music and promoting. I think that most of the time people will hear a song and want to share it with people not to promote it but to try and spread the joy that the particular song brings, but in many cases it comes off like the person is just trying to get credit for "discovering" the song/artist. The same goes with T-shirts sporting an artists name or logo. Some may interpret it as simply supporting the artist, while others consider the shirt to be some kind of beacon of coolness, like a giant sign that says "im so cool i listen to _____ "

this was mostly aimed at j303 who i think speaks the truth 90% of the time, i just feel like there can be some kind of happy medium between being a giant logo and trying to be an individual

DISCUSS

#2 Gforce

Gforce

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

If I got a shirt of one of my fav artists I would think I'm cool and I would promote it if people asked me about the artist on the shirt.

#3 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

If I got a shirt of one of my fav artists I would think I'm cool and I would promote it if people asked me about the artist on the shirt.

yeah.. same here.

except if it was an artist you know you dont wanna share about.
(dont lie, everybody feels that way about some artist.)

#4 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

I don't buy artsts t-shirts anymore because I got all these old ska t-shirts from high school that I get questions about that I really don't want to answer.

#5 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

uhmmm.

sometimes i hear tracks and like others you want to share the music because it had such an intense intial impact. can't rember how many times i burned a cd for some people, and they just never got it?? i gave up on that. you can lead a horse to water........

ahhhh --- tee shirts... the graphic tee for 60 bucks... ya gotta love it...

the deffinitive concert shirt... yup we all got em...

the thing is like all attire. where to rock and where not... if i was going grocery shopping i'd throw on perhaps a jaylib shirt... which i never bought... but i would not wear the same tee at a funk/hip hop event... its just like .... hey look at me! im in this music festival and look at the shirt im wearing... ughh..

time and place for everything i guess... i had one stones throw shirt.. i now use it for construction...

there is a fine line... I'm just hypercritical......

as the mighty mos def said - "the harder you flash, the harder you get flashed on.......

#6 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

yeh i used to have a quas hoodie but to many people asked me what the hell it was and i got sick of it real quick.

#7 Charlie

Charlie

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

If I wear a pbw shirt at school, questions I'll get asked might lead to kids discovering this music like I did.

#8 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

To quote myself in a previous post...........

Werd, no t-shirts, very few stickers, and posters and what not.
I've been incognito ......

#9 cr0n

cr0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:drugs, bass guitar, funk, jazz, hip hop

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

i bought a dilla donuts shirt the day they put them out because i felt the need to help his family. they probably got 4$ of the 20, but i like the shirt. i aggree with not wearing music tshirts at shows but i feel that anywhere else you can show your support for indie shit like this 24/7

#10 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

my friend once told me that people need to dig to discover this kind of music, just like we did, but sometimes i feel like sharing madvillain with the whole world :huh:

#11 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

my friend once told me that people need to dig to discover this kind of music, just like we did, but sometimes i feel like sharing madvillain with the whole world :huh:

when you discover something... you get that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

i only share with somebody who you know would really enjoy it and not kill it for you,
if you know what i mean.
but only on rare occasions.
almost never.
on second thought,
i never share.
because then i lose the warm fuzzy feeling. :ph34r:

on another note:
i hate (too strong of a word) dislike people who just straight leech...
people who dont have individuality and have to copy other people to fill the void. to feel "accepted."

#12 neologism

neologism

STMB Sex Ed.

• Members
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:world domination

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

i actually just ordered the dilla donuts shirt, it will be my first hip hop shirt. the reason i decided to buy, was 1. to continue to support dilla
2. its an awesome design.
3. i know i will be the only guy in school to wear it, so its not a follower thing (might be only a few in the city with one)
4. i have no continous style (one day this shirt next day polo oxford) so i like to confuse people with what my taste is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users