• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

For those that give a damn. John Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat" is an amazing read.

I've been on a kick where I've been reading all of the books assigned to me in high school that I was too stoned and lazy to check out....this was one of them and it blew my mind....

So...yeah, I'm a nerd and this is a good book.

#2 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

have you read any literature by George Orwell..

kind of pertinent with whats going on in the world at the moment.

#3 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, I read, I think it's called "1982"?

That is mos def some prolific stuff. A good look into what is going on right now is a DVD documentary called "Why We Fight". It is a really cool look into how Dwight David Eisenhower completely called the whole industrial/military complex. Basically, predicted companies and investors profiting from war and damage, thus promoting it all over the world.

And this was coming from a President of the US who was one of the key people/heroes of WWII!

Pretty cool...

#4 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

saw it... Orwell's novel was titled "1984"...

if that material caught your attention youtube - terror storm by alex jones.....

or check out his podcast...

#5 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

That's right 1984. Isn't that the novel that the term "big brother" came from? That was a great book.

Dude, that reminds me of "Brave New World". That book is terrifying. It reminds me of all the pharmacutial (don't know how to spell that) companies that are floating around. Pills to make you happy, pills to make you do thi, do that....man that shit is scary.

#6 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

Brave New world is one of my favorite books... just about anything by Huxley is though.

#7 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

everything you have read...

Welcome to the "NOW".....

youtube - alex jones "terror storm" - you say you want to get poiltical???? Big Brother... it's all there...

#8 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

I'm gonna thread jack for $100 and ask other board members what they are reading right now.

personally- Trespasser by D.H. Lawrence and before that was Justine by Lawrence Durell and before that I reread Brave New World... I'm tired of these slow books though, I need to finish Trespasser and move onto something else.

#9 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:47 AM

I'm tired of these slow books though, I need to finish Trespasser and move onto something else.

I'm telling you, check out tortilla flat. It's a quick read, its funny as hell, and its Steinbeck; I think it's the shit.

#10 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

This Side of Paradise-Fitz
Invisible Man-Ralph Ellison

I Just Read Atlas Shrugged Again Since Like 5 Years Ago

Got Into Some Aldous Huxley

#11 End_One

End_One

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

If yoou are into Sci Fi read up Enders game one sick book about using kids in the military in the future and more ....

#12 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

If yoou are into Sci Fi read up Enders game one sick book about using kids in the military in the future and more ....

Yep read that one as a young buckaroo. The author is a mormon, interesting fact. I loved that book.

#13 grizz grizzlebee

grizz grizzlebee

Crusty Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

check out poul anderson. sci fi with lotsa cool theories on how religion will work in colonized space. plus lotsa other genetic theories about how the different races of human kind might intermingle and set up colonies. some of his stuff might be kinda too heady at times, and some of it espionage adventure in space, but his best stuff is a mix of both.

i took a class on communal utopias not too long ago and read orwell and huxley then compared them with whats going on today, uncannily prophetic. there was another book assigned titled "looking backward" though i dont remember the author's name. if you enjoyed orwell and huxley, you'd prolly enjoy this book.

#14 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

check out poul anderson. sci fi with lotsa cool theories on how religion will work in colonized space. plus lotsa other genetic theories about how the different races of human kind might intermingle and set up colonies. some of his stuff might be kinda too heady at times, and some of it espionage adventure in space, but his best stuff is a mix of both.

i took a class on communal utopias not too long ago and read orwell and huxley then compared them with whats going on today, uncannily prophetic. there was another book assigned titled "looking backward" though i dont remember the author's name. if you enjoyed orwell and huxley, you'd prolly enjoy this book.

which book did you read by Huxley? He has addressed the topics many times. I saw a book called Walden 2 the other day... I'll have to check that out soon, I forgot who it was by though.

#15 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:25 AM

....read orwell and huxley then compared them with whats going on today, uncannily prophetic.

No shit. Everytime I see some rediculous commercial for a pill to make you feel this way or that way, I think of Brave New World.

#16 End_One

End_One

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Chuck Palaniuk is the shit....read all his books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users