• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Here's something I dont really get,

when artists today sample old school rap, 90's rap, or the voice of a rapper (like tupac, biggie, nas).

8 ball and MJG did it for "I got to get the paper" they sampled biggies voice...

A "friend" of mine a school samples from his hip hop albums collections, is that weak or what...I think so because if we all did that, then hip hop would get smaller and smaller because we would be sampling eachother all the time....Its okay to steal a dre drum every now and then but in terms of looping them?

So heres the two issues:

Sampling the voice of a recorded hip-hop artists? Cool or not

Sampling a hip hop beat? Cool or not

#2 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Politics, Education, and damn near everything else.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jeremymerrill

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

You'll find cats that say it's OK, and cats that say it isn't. Bottom line.

Personally, I feel that everything is game. People can flip samples a shitload of ways...people have sampled artists that no one thought would ever get sampled. Hell, back in the day sampling a bit of someone else's track was a way of paying tribute to the original artist. No cats get all butt-hurt over stuff so easy. The other day I mentioned that I sampled a clean Madlib kick and Questlove snare and I got scolded by another producer. Honestly I don't see what's wrong with it. If I took the time to dig through their tracks and find a clean drum sample then I don't see the big deal. I know others will chew my ass for that, but it's my honest opinion and I ain't hiding it. Especially with Quest because he plays his shit live...it's not sampled from someone else's stuff. Oh well...to each their own.

#3 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:(We are twin producers/rappers) We make produce songs and beats in my basement. Currently working on our album which we might rap on too if there is time (hopefully it will be done by the summer, if we have the songs made by the end of July, then we will spit)... We have made so many beats but for our album we have 3 songs...<br /><br />We use a MPC1000 and a turntable more than anything else we have. We use an M-audio to arrange into sony acid...<br /><br />We own a microkorg, Yamaha mm6, planet phatt, stanton cdj; however these items mostly collect dust...<br /><br />Very inspired by MADLIB's hotel setup, thats why we are getting a mpc500 and a pt-01... We also need it so we can both be on MPC and not just watch the other one make beats...<br /><br />Right now I am listening to King Geedorah &quot;Take me to your leader&quot; and &quot;Madvilliany&quot; by madvillian<br /><br />MF doom and Madlib are true hip hop artists, thats fo sho

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

Personally, I feel that everything is game. People can flip samples a shitload of ways...people have sampled artists that no one thought would ever get sampled. Hell, back in the day sampling a bit of someone else's track was a way of paying tribute to the original artist. No cats get all butt-hurt over stuff so easy. The other day I mentioned that I sampled a clean Madlib kick and Questlove snare and I got scolded by another producer. Honestly I don't see what's wrong with it. If I took the time to dig through their tracks and find a clean drum sample then I don't see the big deal. I know others will chew my ass for that, but it's my honest opinion and I ain't hiding it. Especially with Quest because he plays his shit live...it's not sampled from someone else's stuff. Oh well...to each their own.

I like your point of view because its very open minded

however

if everyone started sampling eachother, eventually the songs would get way too dumbed down........
Because then you would sample a sample, and later someone might sample a sample you sampled from someone elses sample....

if your not confused...............

For instance, lets say person A = three six mafia, they sampled a song for I gotta stay fly, lets say you like I gotta stay fly and sample part of the melody, your song becomes a hit, a few months later, I like your song, so i sample a part of your melody, NOW the original sample is dumbed down by 4 generations.....

but in terms of samplng instruments, its probably all good.

#4 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

That thing about ?uestlove is quite true...that would actually be ver similar to sampling a snare from any obscure record you got :)

#5 uSmell

uSmell

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

"Realists" will say "NOT KOOL" go out & dig, chop & process your own drumz... in which i agree with... an individual should learn how to do this... i'll put it this way, if your planning to put out a record then yeah you should be original & come up with your own ish... if your just doin this as a hobby& just making beat tapes outta your bedroom then i don't see why not... you pay alot of money for a sampler, you should be able to sample anything you want... no disrespect but you can go on myspace or soundclick & hear the same kick, snare & hi-hat... i say just have fun with it smoke an ''L'' & make good music... do whatever makes you happy... i may get flamed for this but oh wells... let's roll bitches!!!

#6 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

I like your point of view because its very open minded

however

if everyone started sampling eachother, eventually the songs would get way too dumbed down........
Because then you would sample a sample, and later someone might sample a sample you sampled from someone elses sample....

if your not confused...............

For instance, lets say person A = three six mafia, they sampled a song for I gotta stay fly, lets say you like I gotta stay fly and sample part of the melody, your song becomes a hit, a few months later, I like your song, so i sample a part of your melody, NOW the original sample is dumbed down by 4 generations.....

but in terms of samplng instruments, its probably all good.

Everything is dumbed down anyway...how many damn songs on the radio right now have the same tired 808 snare? I mean, someone sampling off some DJ Quick or Questlove isn't gonna water down the music...in fact it's more likely to spark creative expression and music that breaks away from the norm. Every lame producer out there has the little vintage 808 kit that comes with Fruity Loops, and too many of 'em use it. There's no Madlib kit that comes with programs though...cats have to dig through his tracks for that stuff. Same with Quest.

Most drum samples out there are sampled from someone else but blended with multiple samples, run through filters, etc. You can take a Questlove snare and blend it with a Whatnauts snare and make your own snare sound...even dropping a parametric EQ over the top would change the snare sound.

In terms of sampling melody from other hip-hop tracks...no thanks. Thats a different story. My personal philosophy is that tracks that are already hits, or are sampled melodies should be off limits. Either that or they should be chopped until they're not recognizeable.

For example...David McCallum's the Edge...Dre sampled it without many changes, but it was obscure. He made it sound dope. I can take the same track and sample it and chop it in a way that makes it BARELY recognizeable as the same track...I've done it before...and only very experienced producers were able to tell what the original track was. THAT is OK. But if I took the loops straight out like Dre did and maybe changed the snare timing, that'd be wack as fuck.

Make sense?

Chopping & one-off samples: OK
Straight loops sampled from hit songs or modern hip-hop: NOT OK

#7 SubBass49

SubBass49

The Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

That thing about ?uestlove is quite true...that would actually be ver similar to sampling a snare from any obscure record you got <_<

Exactly. Dude has so many snare tunings that he uses...all of 'em dope...I've started a kit of his stuff that I've been able to sample clean.

#8 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

sh**, my albums gonna be all originals,

no f***ing sampling other hip hop artists work............................

Ima sample my own drums, my own melodies, etc. Gotta be original, thats the key to success...

#9 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

sh**, my albums gonna be all originals,

no f***ing sampling other hip hop artists work............................

Ima sample my own drums, my own melodies, etc. Gotta be original, thats the key to success...

I'm not big on people taking a GREAT!!!! beat and fucking it up by adding some Tupac, biggie, or busta quote on the chorus and expecting cats to rap some next level shit on it.

#10 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:38 AM

I usually never have problems with vocal samples but I hate it when hip hop people sample hip hop or house music ie already sampled records. if it was made on a keyboard you own play it on the keyboard you own in a way that expands the music.

#11 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

I forgot to say unless you are creative with it.. there are some examples of hip hop sampling this kind of stuff that I like but there are others that I hate (whoo I was thinking of in my og post) who are local and just completely loop some already looped shit and just change the drums...

#12 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

I've noticed that Madlib likes to sample M.O.P. vocals quite a bit, like with Jaylib, Beat Conducta, etc. My take on it is as long as the finished product is creative and original as a whole, then I don't give a fuck where you got the shit from.
  • Zexual and Robtrenchless like this

#13 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

Sampling the voice of a recorded hip-hop artists? Cool or not

Sampling a hip hop beat? Cool or not

does primo not cut up voices of other emcee's? same as sampling really,he is using them on his own shit no?

define sampling a hip hop beat? a break some has sampled and cut up and used on their track? a drum machine ?

#14 LoopSkywalker

LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

i can see why sombody would get mad over sampling an acutal melody or theme.

but a kick and/or snare? its just a small fraction of a sound. good job mixing it up tho. other

#15 LoopSkywalker

LoopSkywalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:bars on mars.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

i can see why sombody would get mad over sampling an acutal melody or theme.

but just a kick and/or snare? its just a small fraction of a sound. good job mixing it up .

#16 DanSmith

DanSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

I will give you an example of both pros and cons:

Sampling hip hop done excellent- Dead Presidents- JayZ (sampled Nas's voice)
--This may not count because Dj Ski got Nas's permission.... Dead Presidents is a classic hip hop song

Sampling hip hop done so weak- Living in the Projects- Lil Scrappy (sampled 2pac's voice)
--The tupac part is great, but when Lil Scrappy comes in, he sounds inferior to 2pac..... No diss on scrappy, I like scappy, but next to tupac, he sounds like a busta......

#17 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

dude i hear what youre saying...

but you got to look at it as an option I (sampling hiphop), not an all or nothing situation....

for instance, k-os sampled ice cube it was a good day for his "heaven only knows remix"... sounded good...

but then he goes out and makes his own beats from scratch too, so what im saying is, if you want to sample from hiphop go ahead, but dont make that the onbly option...

youre making it sound like if you sample hiphop you cant sample anything else and vice versa,

sample whatever sounds right... do that and the music pool wont shrink.

#18 spooky

spooky

Heroin Traffiker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

Lil' Scrappy rolls with an arrogant tranny called Moni (pronounced Money) from Balitmore who suffers from dellusions of grandeur; and judging from Scrappy's music videos, he suffering from a little of that too.

#19 ntw1212

ntw1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

my "friend" and i used to share the same beat machine (korg electribe bitches!!!) and he didn't really have any records to sample off and he would just loop some rap beats that were already made and then claim they were his. I remember people would actually believe him too... girls would be like "wow, you made that?"

#20 Kuraden

Kuraden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

I will give you an example of both pros and cons:

Sampling hip hop done excellent- Dead Presidents- JayZ (sampled Nas's voice)
--This may not count because Dj Ski got Nas's permission.... Dead Presidents is a classic hip hop song

Sampling hip hop done so weak- Living in the Projects- Lil Scrappy (sampled 2pac's voice)
--The tupac part is great, but when Lil Scrappy comes in, he sounds inferior to 2pac..... No diss on scrappy, I like scappy, but next to tupac, he sounds like a busta......

So really it's not necessarily about the idea of sampling hip hop but rather who does it. In a way I can agree with that. Sampling vocals, I'm all for it. That shit has been a part of rap for decades. But when I heard that Lil' Wayne or whatever track that used that old school melody, I wanted to slap somebody.

#21 jazzur

jazzur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

this is a never ending story since sampling / recording began.

heres my take on it:

YOUR WACK (and a prime example of Back Packing.)

Are you Trying to justify creative theft ?
Ignorant or lacking Mental Depth ?
You're probably Fooling Yourself,
If your lying Best came from trying Less ,
Its Not You thats best, but those god Blessed.
The ones who tried Harder than others,
Dedicated with a cause more passionate than yours,
Were true to themselves not false to their piers,
Inspired to Heights taller than Streetlights,
Better , much better cos they "kept to the letter".

just create good music init?

#22 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

bump

#23 Munoz387

Munoz387

Brothas can't see me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Damn I was looking for a dansmith bump but not a flood

#24 godzilla

godzilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

#25 Komplikated

Komplikated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/komplikated

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

It's not that new ;) remember all the slick rick samples.

#26 Komplikated

Komplikated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I just ripped a flavor flav vox from a P.E. 45, lol. "yo, check this out man" i chopped it up to : "yo man, check this out".

#27 Komplikated

Komplikated

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

btw that shit was invented in the 80's when you had 1 sec sampletime. great for a "fresh"

Btw Nas - If I ruled the Wordl samples the drumbeat of Whodini's Friends.
what about the Rakim voxes "return of the wildstyle" from Guess Who's Back used in many songs lately.

just feel it, fresssh, aah yeah, bring that beat back, time's up... later!

sampling voxes is part of hiphop my man!

#28 spitler

spitler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:22 AM

btw that shit was invented in the 80's when you had 1 sec sampletime. great for a "fresh"

Btw Nas - If I ruled the Wordl samples the drumbeat of Whodini's Friends.
what about the Rakim voxes "return of the wildstyle" from Guess Who's Back used in many songs lately.

just feel it, fresssh, aah yeah, bring that beat back, time's up... later!

sampling voxes is part of hiphop my man!

what exactly started in the 80s? I hope you're not talking sampling cause that shit been done since the late 60s. And also someone above happened to mention Dr. Dre sampling The Edge.. that's not true. Dre hired studio musicians to replay the music slightly different than the original. Big time producers do it all the time, see Kanye West, Just Blaze, etc, etc

#29 airjordan0815

airjordan0815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Longs walks on the beach, beats, rhymes, life, and kittens

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

sampling another producer who's currently making music is kind of wack, go out and find your own kicks and snares as opposed to getting someone elses that was already taken from someone else.

#30 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

what exactly started in the 80s? I hope you're not talking sampling cause that shit been done since the late 60s

he is clearly talking about cuttin vocal samples from other hip hop and rapping records, thats what this whole thread is about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users