If Madlib were to die...

49 replies to this topic

#1 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Alright, hypothetically, if Madlib were to die tomorrow, who would you consider to have left behind a greater legacy: Madlib, or Dilla? I really don't mean this in any bad taste, it's just a question to see where everyone stands on each musician's accomplishments thus far.

That having been said, I think we really take for granted all of Madlib's work since he's doing new stuff everyday. The guy's a creative genius, a true musician who doesn't push boundaries and standards, but who sets new ones. On the other hand, he hasn't advanced mainstream sound the way Dilla did, because I think he's so introverted and weary of other artists.

Thoughts, anyone?

#2 NineSSix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Damn! I cut for both of the dudes on the same level, however [in my opinion] I thought the Jaylib project was J Dilla at his best, but then again that was Madlib & J Dilla together. However, Madvillain (for production) was Madlib at his best. What I'm tryin' to say is "I like'em both" & [again in my opinion!] it would be a draw. But that's just ME!

#3 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

dilla - mainstream...

ummmmm.. if i had crazy medical bills i'd be thinking of doing beats for will smith as well...

dilla = mainstream...

if madlib died??

WHERE THE ______ DID THESE PEOPLE COME FROM???

please go back to okplayer.... thank you.

#4 GoosDiff

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

View Postj303, on Sep 30 2006, 12:33 AM, said:

WHERE THE ______ DID THESE PEOPLE COME FROM???

now i know y so many cats from the old board are suddenly jumping ship...

#5 miss stress

"Road runner runnin thangs"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

WHAT KINDA STUPID ASS POST IS THIS?????

JJ NEEDS TO HIT THE DELETE KEY ON THIS ONE

#6 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

It was an honest question...
Compared to Madlib, how do you not consider Dilla mainstream? Does Madlib have those platinum records on the walls of his studio? Apparently Janet Jackson, Busta Rhymes, and the Roots are "underground". YNQ is just racking up the accolades on MTV...
Damn, no one cares how long you've been sucking ST's dick. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. Oh wait, I think you already covered that. I understand that I worded the question very poorly, and that's my bad. I just wanted to compare what Madlib has done thus far in his career to what Dilla did. God. Delete it if you want, I just wanted some discussion about music, not pussy complaints about the diction of my post. So please get over the way I worded it, I told you that I meant nothing bad by it, it's just for discussion of something we all feel good about - two of the best producers in the game.

#7 2tieum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

Indeed this should be deleted!!! What the fuck!!!

#8 evoke

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

man, I don't really see any harm done with this post.

this post discusses music rather than all that other nerdy shit that gets posted on this board..

stop whining..

#9 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

What If Everyone From Stones Throw Died?

That Would Be Ill

#10 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:07 AM

View PostDoot, on Sep 30 2006, 02:42 PM, said:

What If Everyone From Stones Throw Died?
That Would Be Ill

dilla laced beats for all those "Commercial" records... hahahhahahah

if you took that instrumental it would not sound pop at all.....

plus everyone one loves dila/badu collabs - even herself... she praised dilla on the production..

dilla started so many styles.... so did madlib....

neither are commercial....

end of story....

#11 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Alright, maybe I should rephrase the question...
Who has created the better and more influential work, J Dilla during his career, or what Madlib has done thusfar in his career?

And you're FUCKING kidding yourself if you don't think that Dilla was a bit commercial, compared to Madlib. Whereas Dilla was a beatsmith for premium artists, Madlib is about a dozen people or groups that vary in muscial genre, direction, and feel. Dilla had big stars knocking on his door to do beats, and how the musicians handled the beats is completely irrelevent - the fact that these guys are on MTV with his beats, that's enough to consider Dilla much more mainstream than a man who created a fucking 5-member imaginary jazz band.

#12 durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

View PostThe Clown, on Sep 29 2006, 07:57 PM, said:

Alright, hypothetically, if Madlib were to die tomorrow, who would you consider to have left behind a greater legacy: Madlib, or Dilla? I really don't mean this in any bad taste, it's just a question to see where everyone stands on each musician's accomplishments thus far.

That having been said, I think we really take for granted all of Madlib's work since he's doing new stuff everyday. The guy's a creative genius, a true musician who doesn't push boundaries and standards, but who sets new ones. On the other hand, he hasn't advanced mainstream sound the way Dilla did, because I think he's so introverted and weary of other artists.

Thoughts, anyone?

You could have asked the same question without mentioning death

delete!

#13 Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

View Postdurty finga, on Sep 30 2006, 09:47 PM, said:

You could have asked the same question without mentioning death
delete!

Haha, damn right! Kinda stupid.

Commercialwise Dilla DID more hits (refering to, say, videos played on MTV) than Madlib. He did Breathe & Stop, Got 'Til It's Gone, Runnin', Find A Way, The Light and so on...

Madlib did Shopping Bags.

But...

They both great musicians. I appreciate them both equally.

#14 TroN

STMB's Digital Dirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, DRums, Art, Xbox 360

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

dude.....why?

#15 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

dilla..... man has many styles of music... he just used the same name...

you have ears... research... listen... then come back to the board with some knowledge. ;)

#16 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

No one's really answering the question. It was an opinion question - who do you think has done more for music, Madlib or Dilla? Just answer the question and stop pussy-footing around.

And yes, Dilla did have many styles. But if Madlib were to use the name "Madlib" for all of his projects, do you think that would change anything? Dilla's not some indie hero like everyone's making him out to be. Most of his beats were, although beautiful and influential, rather tame compared to Madlib. No one's knocking on Madlib's door to get a smooth jazz beat to rhyme over.

#17 MikeStyles (thought.clouds)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/mikestyles

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

I love em both as we all do. I think what seperates them a bit is Madlib's YNQ/Soundirectrions/YJR/Quas projects. I mean he has pulled out so many creative projects, more so than dilla. but in terms of just hip hop beats damn its a close call. Madvillain has the illest of production so did Fantastic vol.2. before beat konducta and donuts actually dropped I thought madlib was gonna take it hands down, since dilla started coming w/ that electric detroit sound (that i wasnt feelin as much as his ATCQ, sound). But i enjoy donuts all the way through, whereas there is a couple of "skip this one" on the beat konducta.

long live the two illest in the game ever!

#18 bnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

oh dear is this the kind of thread we're in for around here?

logs off

#19 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

View PostMikeStyles (thought.clouds), on Oct 1 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

I love em both as we all do. I think what seperates them a bit is Madlib's YNQ/Soundirectrions/YJR/Quas projects. I mean he has pulled out so many creative projects, more so than dilla. but in terms of just hip hop beats damn its a close call. Madvillain has the illest of production so did Fantastic vol.2. before beat konducta and donuts actually dropped I thought madlib was gonna take it hands down, since dilla started coming w/ that electric detroit sound (that i wasnt feelin as much as his ATCQ, sound). But i enjoy donuts all the way through, whereas there is a couple of "skip this one" on the beat konducta.

long live the two illest in the game ever!

Yeah, I agree completely. Madlib just seems to have that little thing about him, I don't know what it is. Even when I saw that video tour of Dilla's studio, with Frank'n'Dank and Common down there with Dilla doing his stuff, I could never see Madlib doing that. He's just so immersed in his music that he doesn't seem to care about working with other artists. He makes beats for other artists (Quas, YNQ, etc) that, in fact, are him.

#20 lib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

there are very few that come close to either of them. i rate them equally as i slightly prefer Madlibs beats, although dillas rhymes are crazy crazy.

BUT who do you all think in hip hop could come close to matching their talent??????????

#21 Urbaniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

View Postlib, on Oct 1 2006, 08:57 PM, said:

there are very few that come close to either of them. i rate them equally as i slightly prefer Madlibs beats, although dillas rhymes are crazy crazy.

BUT who do you all think in hip hop could come close to matching their talent??????????

To begin with

early Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.timothysa...ain_data/13.jpg

Posted Image

#22 arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

what kind of sick joke is this thread?

#23 kcat

Crate diggin' kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:beats, love songs, Simpsons, guitar

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

I think they're equal, maybe I love Dilla slightly more but, the thing about Dilla is that his life was cut way too short. I mean, the same would go for Madlib, but if that happened then I think I'd just go nuts. If madlib lives until he's grey and old I think Dillas loss will always hurt us (or me, as a music lover) more because we lost him way too soon.

But yeah, thats a really hard, if not impossible, question to answer.

#24 j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

ughhhhh..

CLOWN - do your homework... dilla has done some really grimey beats..

sure he's noted for the smooth "jazz tip", but he flipped so much shit.

as stated before do you homewrok or go back to ok player....

i will not state who is better... both have qood qualities i respect.

#25 The Clown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

View Postj303, on Oct 1 2006, 10:39 PM, said:

ughhhhh..
CLOWN - do your homework... dilla has done some really grimey beats..

sure he's noted for the smooth "jazz tip", but he flipped so much shit.

as stated before do you homewrok or go back to ok player....
i will not state who is better... both have qood qualities i respect.

Trust me, I know what Dilla and Madlib have done...and I'm sure there's a lot more that no one but them knows has been done. If you don't like the phrasing of the question, fine, but the fact is that Dilla is a bit tamer than Madlib. As far as what he's put out, it's really not a question. I'm sorry that you and some other members don't like the question, but until you stop thinking that you're the shit, just stop posting about this topic. A lot of other members seem to have no problem, and have posted reasonable, music-related answers. Life is fragile, and we should appreciate what Dilla did and what Madlib is doing.

#26 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

Upping This Dopeness

Lets Keep It Going

#27 HOSS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

To answer all your questions.

Dilla for sure. Dilla has more undergroud and "commercial" hits than Madlib. There is no doubt that at their peak Dilla is better and at their worst Dilla is still better. I can't think how Madlib has any better material than Dilla. The only thing I can think of is perhaps Madlib goes more "outside the box" into different genres (YNQ, Dj Rels, Quas) than Dilla but that still doesn't make him any better. On Jaylib, Dilla owned him lyrically and on production (Raw Addict=one of Dilla's best beats ever).

Dilla's best album-production work: on "Like Water for Chocolate". Madlib's best: tie between "the Unseen" and " Madvillainy". If you listen to both you can tell Dilla is way more precise and miticulous with his production technique. Lyrically for sure dilla is better.

But of course this is simply an opinion.

#28 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

From

?UESTLOVE Interview

by

Matt Vicens (Vilens)

September 2006

Transcribed from audio by Greg Rauhöft (Tacit) & Leah Marie Roman (Pisces)

VILENS : Yeah, umm, now I just mentioned Dilla, like, you know, a lot of people claim to be Dilla, like, you know, big Dilla fans, like I personally, you know, it was very upsetting to me and I'm like a big fan of his music and I'm curious for you as a friend and as a co-worker of Dilla's, ah, do you have like a favorite beat or anything like that? Like I personally like "The Light", you know is there anything that he, like any beats in particular that stuck out to you as far as his work goes?

?UEST : Ima tell you something funny about "The Light", umm, actually "The Light" and Common's "Doin It" were done in the same week and, umm, I'll tell you something hilarious, I'll tell you a hilarious story. [VILENS: aight] We umm, like during the "Like Water For Chocolate" period... Umm, you know, pretty much we... the two prime locations of that whole time period...even for Common's record, even for The Roots' record and even for D'Angelo's record...

VILENS : What record was yours at the time?

?UEST : Well, yeah, this is like 98/99 [VILENS: Ok] they were 98/99, we were either in umm, we were either err at New York's, "Electric Lady Studios" or we were in umm or Dilla's basement [VILENS: Ok], it was basement, and umm, we pretty much like, we, we had, uh, we got snowed in one night and we pretty much had a, what do you call it, a like a, like a contest. This is something that Proof and Dilla used to always do. Like Proof, he used to always tell Dilla, I can 'out-beat-make' you. They used to have these things called the, they had these things called the umm the, the "Winter Olympics" and what then happened is, somebody would grab three random albums from, for Dilla, and someone would grab three random albums for Proof... and then they would have five minutes to make a beat, off of what they got, or, I was doing this with Dilla and he was like absolutely dusting me. Like Proof was picking my records and Frank from Frank n Dank was picking Dilla's records and I was cryin' foul, 'cause I was like "Come on man, Frank knows these records, he knows Dilla knows these (records)..." like uhumm, by round four I was picking Dilla's records 'cause I was like "Ima choose a record that I know you don't know how to make a beat off of." And he was laughing like "Ok, whatever, whatever."

VILENS : What was he using? An MPC?

?UEST : Ah, we were using an SP1200 and an MPC3000. [VILENS: Ok] So...but this time we were just using a SP1200 because I didn't know how to use the 3000. So, I chose one record, I said "look", and I grabbed Rick James's "Street Songs" and I said "I know he can't..." this is how limited I was. 'Cause to me "Street Songs" only represented one record, and that was "Superfreak". [VILENS: Right, right, right.] And I was like "Whu, what you going to make "Can't Touch This" 1998 version? Like yeah, you know, this gon' be wack". So I gave him the record and he started laughing and he's like "You sure you wanna give me this?" I'm like "Yeah, you ain't gon' freak no beat off of this". [VILENS: chuckles] He... I gave him five minutes - he was done in two minutes and that beat wound up being Common's "Doin it". [VILENS: I LOVE that beat] He took, he took the intro, he took the intro to "Give It To Me Baby" and slowed it down to the slowest that it could go and basically that's how he came up with the bassline. [VILENS: Ohhh.] Yeah Matt, I was like, when I seen that shit, I was like "Yo, this is not a normal guy."

VILENS : Yeah, I thought, I always thought he just chopped the hell out of it like real tiny. I was discussing on a messageboard, we always thought he took like tiny snippets and re-arranged it and made something brand new out of it.

?UEST : No, I mean that's exactly what he did. But the fact that he could hear Common's "Doin it" coming from the intro to "Give It To Me Baby". [VILENS: Yes, it's ridiculous] Yeah, it's like the average person just doesn't think like that, they, they would just by-pass it [VILENS: Yeah] and, you know, once, once I'd seen that I was like "Oh man, this guy, this guy's on some next shit". [VILENS: Yeah, definitely] Just being there with him week after week after week after week, you know, he was very fearless with his approach, you know, and but that, that is one of my favorite moments.

#29 BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

You've got to be kidding me, right people? Let Dilla rest in peace already. The brother has been deceased for almost 8 months already. Dilla this, Dilla that. He is one of hip hop's greatest producers that compares to know one.

#30 Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

View PostBleeHLH, on Oct 2 2006, 01:41 PM, said:

You've got to be kidding me, right people? Let Dilla rest in peace already. The brother has been deceased for almost 8 months already. Dilla this, Dilla that. He is one of hip hop's greatest producers that compares to know one.

So Since He Died We Should All Stop Talking About Him?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users