#1 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Interests:soundnoir.net

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

i've never been big on the pod until i found out about gapless playback incorporated into their 5th generation line up.

i mumbled a little bit about it to my girl and low and behold a 30 gig was presented to me... dammm ...free gift. i'm not complaining...

anyways im a bit of a sound freak and an old cranky bastard. so........,

I'm recording in aac 160 kbps 48.khz.. I'm not into COMPRESSED SOUND so i figured this was a fair compromise.. I use the pod only for the car and subway... were acoustics don't really shine...
is this a good set up?

would anyone advise a different approach for good sound quality without taking too much memory...

cool..

#2 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:19 PM

its fine, you wont notice a difference in the hedphones and in the car. i always record 192vbr MP3, but it all sounds the same.

#3 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

its fine, you wont notice a difference in the hedphones and in the car. i always record 192vbr MP3, but it all sounds the same.

correct me if im wrong, but that takes even less memory???

#4 arlodizzle

arlodizzle

The Unheard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

i just compared a couple of cds...

i encoded idlewild at 192vbr = 25 songs, 1 hour 18 minutes, and is 107.4 mb.

but... another cd is encoded at 128kb AAC and it is 12 songs, 48 minutes, and 77.8 mb.

kinda fishy.

anyways i think 160kb aac would be a good choice, especially with really good headphones.

#5 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

i just compared a couple of cds...

i encoded idlewild at 192vbr = 25 songs, 1 hour 18 minutes, and is 107.4 mb.

but... another cd is encoded at 128kb AAC and it is 12 songs, 48 minutes, and 77.8 mb.

kinda fishy.

anyways i think 160kb aac would be a good choice, especially with really good headphones.

do not like the look/fit/sound of apples ear pods...... went for some ghetto 15.99 radioshack old school wanna be bose headphones... there really good... not too bright good mid bass.... lots of cushion like the bose... but ur ears sweat a bit... not alot tho.........

but i hate bose...... there products are way to bass heavy.... muddy sounding to a certain extent....

#6 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

i mumbled a little bit about it to my girl and low and behold a 30 gig was presented to me... dammm ...free gift. i'm not complaining...

We was suppose to be on this no gadget and gizmos thing together????

You sold out............

I'm hurt :(

#7 kcat

kcat

Crate diggin' kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:beats, love songs, Simpsons, guitar

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'm glad the 30 worked out. :( Gotta love best buys return policy, yes'sah!

#8 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

We was suppose to be on this no gadget and gizmos thing together????

You sold out............
I'm hurt :(

Stress---

let me clearly stipulate... GAPLESS PLAYBACK..... when that mixtape --- whoops mix cd is on the pod there are no gaps in the id index... smooth playback...

besides who would have ever thought of cd's becoming out of print...

dwele's "rize" ain't leaving my house getting all scratched or perhaps jacked from my car...

Stress--- i compromised i only got a 30 gig not an 80... i did not fully sell out...

its all about gapless playback and plugging into your car so you can avoid the T.I. and jessica simpson or whatever.... yup ... Im a hater...

but dear miss - stress......... I WILL NEVER GET A SIDEKICK...... oh hell no!!!!

email 24-7 -- no way!!!

I'm glad the 30 worked out. :) Gotta love best buys return policy, yes'sah!

don't let the info out..... shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

#9 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Stress---

but dear miss - stress......... I WILL NEVER GET A SIDEKICK...... oh hell no!!!!

It's cool it was free anyway, you were probably the only person I know of who wasn't feeling BOTH the Ipod/camera phone steeze....

Part of me says I should update with the times but the other part is stubborn...KnowwhatImean?

#10 j303

j303

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

It's cool it was free anyway, you were probably the only person I know of who wasn't feeling BOTH the Ipod/camera phone steeze....

Part of me says I should update with the times but the other part is stubborn...KnowwhatImean?

- they got "brick" and "solitare" on that yo------

stubborn is my middle name.... im hating on surround sound for the home... i'm strictly a 2 channel man...

i like to be in the "sweet spot".... Surround is what makes going to the movies fun... why go out for milk when you have a cow at home....ya dig!!!

if you recall - "bean" did not even own a cellular..... he refused....

if you have a respectable music collection and your on the go alot i'd go for the pod... most cd's are one continous mix so when they are on the pod you now have gapless playback... Only took steve jobs 5 years to figure that one out!!!

but seriously... go to best buy and cop a pod ... which ever one suits you... Best buy gives you a 30 day trial period, where as apple only offers 14 days... just keep the unit in pristine condition.. if you don't like it return it..... i was informed from a worker from best buy how to really get over... message me if u want more info...

besides if you get a POD we can be like the other board and list our top 25!!!!! fun....fun.....fun.....

#11 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

- they got "brick" and "solitare" on that yo------
stubborn is my middle name.... im hating on surround sound for the home... i'm strictly a 2 channel man...

i like to be in the "sweet spot".... Surround is what makes going to the movies fun... why go out for milk when you have a cow at home....ya dig!!!
if you recall - "bean" did not even own a cellular..... he refused....
if you have a respectable music collection and your on the go alot i'd go for the pod... most cd's are one continous mix so when they are on the pod you now have gapless playback... Only took steve jobs 5 years to figure that one out!!!
but seriously... go to best buy and cop a pod ... which ever one suits you... Best buy gives you a 30 day trial period, where as apple only offers 14 days... just keep the unit in pristine condition.. if you don't like it return it..... i was informed from a worker from best buy how to really get over... message me if u want more info...
besides if you get a POD we can be like the other board and list our top 25!!!!! fun....fun.....fun.....

Yea everyone tells me how convient they are for the car and just music play period.....I do get tired of switching cds/tapes but it's just a habit...... I dunno if and when I'll break it.

Maybe I'll check the Best Buy thing out I gotta gift card from there.......

ZZZZZzzzzzzz@the other board

#12 Doot

Doot

ST Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Interests:Insects, Calculators, Rotary Telephones, Small Tin Boxes of Altoids Mints, Ball Point Pens, Old Dusty Floppy Discs, Receipt Books, Oscillating Fans, Laser Toner Cartridges, 3 Ring Binders, Bubble Wrap and Right Angle Triangles. Nothing Else.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:15 AM

PSP Is Where It's At

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users