#1 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

STMB BEAT BATTLE #13

Well done to everyone in that last round, hope this round goes better and all the people that say they are going to enter have more for us than on friday than words.

I have chosen The Intruders - Together

Good Luck Y'all :mellow:

Rules:

1. Download the sample provided, use this sample ONLY.
You may add any beats of your own choice (and synths if needed)

2. Anyone can enter, newbies - no need to ask.

3. DO NOT submit your entry until Friday 11th May 2007 @ 12am (eastern u.s time) (europe - 5pm)
Voting starts Saturday 12th May @ 12am until Sunday 13th May @ 10am. (europe - 3pm)

4. No songs in past the deadline.

#2 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

The Intruders - Together is also here just in case

#3 djbosco

djbosco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

as i was playin a gig with weekend i wont have my turntables home till monday morning so i will post up the accapellas then, sorry should have mentioned that early.

#4 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

hey i tell you what bosco, to save confusion and let peeps get on with the sampling, lets just skip the accapella's for this week.

So folks just use the intruders and your own beats/synths lets see what people do with this.

anyone have a problem with the sample?? plenty of chops in that surely....

#5 djbosco

djbosco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

no worries!

#6 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

i dont like soul music---to sample!. to listen to its great, i guess.... just not to sample

#7 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

i dont like soul music---to sample!. to listen to its great, i guess.... just not to sample

yo pencil, hows it goin.......
i do find that comment abit mad i gotta say, since a massive amount of all hip hop past and present contains soul samples....a texture is a texture once in the sampler, whatever genre of music its from......the track is cool to listen to, it wont go all stale after 3 hours of looping heh, unlike some samples previously posted in the other battles.......*cough* triumvirat ect.....*cough*......ahem :angry: thought those horns at the start would of been right up your street, oh well

#8 Sanova

Sanova

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

Cool, I'll enter

#9 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

nice one sanova.....post your entry on friday, voting sat/sun

#10 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

i do find that comment abit mad i gotta say, since a massive amount of all hip hop past and present contains soul samples....a texture is a texture once in the sampler, whatever genre of music its from......the track is cool to listen to, it wont go all stale after 3 hours of looping heh, unlike some samples previously posted in the other battles.......*cough* triumvirat ect.....*cough*......ahem :angry: thought those horns at the start would of been right up your street, oh well

thats right: a massive proportion of hip hop,old and new, is based on soul loops.... all the more reason not to bother with those crates for beatmaking purposes. i can't get down with the sound... and my massive lack of equiptment (just a sp303 and thats it) makes me think i'll not bother with this one!!

i thought that Trumvirant track was a quite fun, dodgy-soundig breaks track! i would certainly whack that main bit on a mixtape for a minute or so...

#11 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

Thats fair comment, each to there own, im just a little suprised because were at the stones throw site, i personally only really enjoy soul, jazz, hip hop, reggae, dubstep, rare groove, brasillian music, electronica.......stuff like that..........prog rock/psych rock whatever that stuff is im not so down with, im flabbergasted that you would listen to that triumvirat for pleasure. as ive been using this message board im realising alot of cats here have taste that i wouldnt ordinarily associate with stones throw.

The problem is not that ALL soul is played out as sample fodder, its just that some producers (especially mainstream) are way uncreative these days.
As for the lack of equipment, ive more or less won the last 3 battles and my tracks were made on a 8 year old mac g4 350mhz!! my mpc has hardly come into play, everybody here has at least a pc (faster than mine) so no excuses!!! lol :rolleyes:

#12 jazzur

jazzur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:55 AM

Thats fair comment, each to there own, im just a little suprised because were at the stones throw site, i personally only really enjoy soul, jazz, hip hop, reggae, dubstep, rare groove, brasillian music, electronica.......stuff like that..........prog rock/psych rock whatever that stuff is im not so down with, im flabbergasted that you would listen to that triumvirat for pleasure. as ive been using this message board im realising alot of cats here have taste that i wouldnt ordinarily associate with stones throw.

The problem is not that ALL soul is played out as sample fodder, its just that some producers (especially mainstream) are way uncreative these days.
As for the lack of equipment, ive more or less won the last 3 battles and my tracks were made on a 8 year old mac g4 350mhz!! my mpc has hardly come into play, everybody here has at least a pc (faster than mine) so no excuses!!! lol :rolleyes:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD!!!!!

p.s. i dont like using samples ....can i still enter........."No cos your a felching dik turd"

#13 Guest_Outlier_*

Guest_Outlier_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

i do find that comment abit mad i gotta say, since a massive amount of all hip hop past and present contains soul samples....a texture is a texture once in the sampler, whatever genre of music its from......the track is cool to listen to, it wont go all stale after 3 hours of looping heh, unlike some samples previously posted in the other battles.......*cough* triumvirat ect.....*cough*......ahem :P thought those horns at the start would of been right up your street, oh well

I have to agree with pencilface. I just simply found this sample a bit uninspiring and boring. The intro horns was a great start and then.... nothing. However, I certainly don't expect every sample someone brings to be great. For example, my pick of Triumvirat, which I thought was at least good to the point of having a number of things to sample. I guess just a few of us appreciated the obscurity of German prog-rock.

I will probably attempt a track on this beat battle #13 just for the challenge. Bottom line is if someone doesn't feel the source material, they don't have to participate.

#14 Tone

Tone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

i do find that comment abit mad i gotta say, since a massive amount of all hip hop past and present contains soul samples....a texture is a texture once in the sampler, whatever genre of music its from......the track is cool to listen to, it wont go all stale after 3 hours of looping heh, unlike some samples previously posted in the other battles.......*cough* triumvirat ect.....*cough*......ahem :P thought those horns at the start would of been right up your street, oh well

Gotta say i agree wholeheartedly, Bill great song choice.... soul is some of the best and most fun stuff to sample. I will do my best to explain that with my beat this week

#15 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

As for the lack of equipment, ive more or less won the last 3 battles and my tracks were made on a 8 year old mac g4 350mhz!! my mpc has hardly come into play, everybody here has at least a pc (faster than mine) so no excuses!!! lol ;)

sitting and staring at a computer screen whilst making beats does not sound like any fun to me!!!

#16 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

LOL, dont give up your day job then :blink:

#17 Bill

Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

wheres all the folk who were running this anyway, big ern mcracken ect?.......i feel like abit of an intruder myself ha, i guess its up to the last person who won to carry it on....or are you all getting bored of this beat battle thing?

speak up i cant hear you :blink:

#18 andt88

andt88

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

i'm bored of the sample choices. ths soul sample is aight, but i'v been sampling to much soul at the moment. the stuff posted recently was so cheasy. but i'll participate anyway.

#19 Guest_Outlier_*

Guest_Outlier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

Andt88: What would a non-cheesy track consist of? I'm just curious as to what you would pick for a selection.

Why don't we mix it up then?

How about grabbing 2 tracks to use plus beats?
Or grab a selection of bits and pieces from various sources plus provide a break or drum kit to use.

Just ideas.

#20 andt88

andt88

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

some funk or rock would be fun to sample, or some music like david axelrod... just lemme win :( but it's all good at least i hear some new music!

#21 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

the rules are good how they are. one track, no acapellas, use your own drums & synths. the prog stuff works best cause it usually has the most changes and whatnot. the soul is usually just the same melodies for 3 minutes. i'm working on mine now though and will enter this week. shouldn't matter if the original is wack though--that's the whole challenge of making beats

#22 quasquasquas

quasquasquas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

just made mine , it was a quick one , only spent like 1/2 hour on it :(

#23 jazzur

jazzur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:34 AM

remember its supposed to be fun, if you aint enjoying the sample then u prolly in the wrong record label message board , anyone heard the MOTOWN mix by MADLIB...anyone ever found a J.Dilla Original.....was it soul?

this weeks sample is from the same vein as the Dilla Donuts (speakin of which , looks like the Pilsbury McDough Boys aint gonna enter the competition again this week!)

does anyone whos complaining about samples or rules actually own any StonesThrow Records...did they listen to any samples.......DO THEY INHALE????

If youre into Beatmakin then lets hear your Beats...

If youre into Production then lets Hear your Product...

If youre in too Deep , best start Swimming... :D

(dont forget to Vote Sat/Sun!!!)

#24 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

remember its supposed to be fun, if you aint enjoying the sample then u prolly in the wrong record label message board , anyone heard the MOTOWN mix by MADLIB...anyone ever found a J.Dilla Original.....was it soul?

this weeks sample is from the same vein as the Dilla Donuts (speakin of which , looks like the Pilsbury McDough Boys aint gonna enter the competition again this week!)

does anyone whos complaining about samples or rules actually own any StonesThrow Records...did they listen to any samples.......DO THEY INHALE????

If youre into Beatmakin then lets hear your Beats...

If youre into Production then lets Hear your Product...

If youre in too Deep , best start Swimming... :D

(dont forget to Vote Sat/Sun!!!)

you seemed like an alright bloke (or lady, if thats what you are!! cant tell by your name...) during the last beat battle but now you sound like a dick again. i would say i'm 'into' beatmaking' - but only by proxy of buying a lot of records and needing to find a use for them. doesnt mean i have to stress over trying to make a beat out of a sample that doesnt sound any fun to me. it's supposed to be fun like you said at the top, before you started making silly statements about who should be on this message board. i have lots of dilla originals and i dont think any of them are soul - -because i dont buy a great deal of soul records.

my beats can still be heard at my myspace if you're interested -- just don't expect it to get updated with new stuff that often. i think i prefer listening to records.

#25 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

i have lots of dilla originals and i dont think any of them are soul

well... i have some dilla originals. ...anyway, just because people like dilla beats shouldnt mean they have to try and copy his source material.

you have annoyed me.... on a mesage board! --- that does not reflect well on me!!

#26 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

wheres all the folk who were running this anyway, big ern mcracken ect?.......i feel like abit of an intruder myself ha, i guess its up to the last person who won to carry it on....or are you all getting bored of this beat battle thing?

speak up i cant hear you :D

actually i was going to start the new thread but i was just a little late doing so....
between settling my self back in from my trip to the bahamas and my girl having a baby, it's kinda hectic.

however i'll be snatching it back on #14 so don't get too comfortable...lol.

by the way big up to sera for holding it down while i was gone.

#27 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

...and my girl having a baby...

wow... congratulations!!! how old are you, if thats not too nosey?

#28 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

wow... congratulations!!! how old are you, if thats not too nosey?

nope not at all. i'm 28....getting up there.

#29 pencilface

pencilface

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

nope not at all. i'm 28....getting up there.

thats alright then -- ive got a couple of years before i need to get cracking!

#30 BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

STMB Beat Battle Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

yep getting old sucks.....i'm all worried about my weight more now. i'm getting heavy :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users