• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

17719571-portrait-of-sexy-man-eatig-brea

howdy.  long time no talk.

anyway, i'm currently doing research for a script right now and i'm having trouble with a certain story detail i've been trying to flesh out the past couple days.

so my question to you, the STMB community, is the following: what is the most you've ever paid for a record?

what is the theoretical maximum amount of money you'd pay for a holy grail record from somewhere like Discogs or something?  how would you feel if your most cherished LP was damaged or ruined by somebody intentionally?  what would be the minimum amount of value/rarity for a record to be considered a prized possession in your collection?  and finally, can the expert crate diggers here recommend me some releases that are considered rare/sought after, but still reasonable in cost?

any help would be greatly appreciated.  if you'd like more context we can discuss privately, but i'd rather not share too much since this is for an on-going project that is currently in-progress...

#2 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

just spent 135 on a 45 last night, that is the highest i think i've gone, maybe i've pushed like 150 for some Brazilian staples, jorge ben, early gal costa, and i've definitely dropped over 500 at record fairs before (on full hauls, not single pieces), while it may be crazy to some, that's actually fairly tame compared other big dudes, if you read about the roosevelt show back in the day in NY you hear about dudes showing up and dropping 5000 dollars on just breaks and loops, i love reading about that shit

my most prized pieces are rare and obscure things that i've gotten for cheap, usually unknowingly, like from a thrift or amongst unlikely things at a rundown record shop, got a copy of the harold mcnair quartet LP on rca for 8 from a record shop having no idea what it was, and it is in great shape, recently got a jazz collection from this dude for super cheap that had all sorts of blue note originals in it, pre liberty buy out, feeling those, there was also a rodriguez cold fact promo minty in there which was a HUGE suprise, as well as a minty mono love supreme original, crazy shit like that i'd have a hard time letting go of and have a sentimental attachment to cause it feels like shit i actually worked for and came up on, always refreshing when you have a good come up, even if you wasted a ton of gas and time, just finding something crazy in some out of the way unlikely place is probably one of the most gratifying aspects of this for me, as opposed to hearing something wild and being like 'shit, i'll drop 100 on that right now'

for sought after stuff thats reasonable in cost, i'd say you want some 90s wall of fame type shit, the first three meters, first 3 kool and the gangs, roy ayers he's coming and coffy, RAMP, things like that that only hover around 50-100 but have stood the test of time and remained pricey for a reason, cause they are just dope

• Grifty likes this

#3 Grifty

Grifty

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

I've seen 250+ on some mint 7"s before

#4 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

there are soul 45s that have gone for $2000-$4000+, shits wild out there

http://www.popsike.c...0677341882.html

i really have a lot of trouble going over like 150-200, but can regularly be fine with 50-75, if there is a 45 i really like and it ends up only being like 20-25 i usually don't even think twice....

and another sought after essential cheapie, one of my absolute favorites, although i suppose not really that rare

51-1aLhkSqL.jpg

• Grifty likes this

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

so i guess another way to steer this conversation is the topic of records that have sentimental value to you.

are there any records in your collection that are not worth much in value, yet still hold a deep connection to you intrinsically? i feel a weird vibe from my Leon Thomas - Blues and the Soulful Truth LP from the J Dilla collection a few years back...still haven't played it or handled it to this day. and it's not even a clean, mint condition copy—it's decent at best with a pretty worn sleeve. but yet here i am treating it more specially than records i've paid out the ass for.

anyone here have any records like that?

#6 Grifty

Grifty

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

Copy of madvillain, 180 gram copy of a love supreme..... That was my first jazz album when I was like 12 my grandma bought me the CD for xmas. Still one of my favs and that CD copy still gets spin in the whip. Donuts 45 box set... And then a bunch of off kilter goodwill dollar bin shit that I'm proud to have dug up and mean to sample some day.... Weird terrible shit like easy listening or Japanese lounge singers or weird Russian opera shit

#7 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

Peace to everyone who commented before me who's about to make me look like an elementary school kid who buys records with an allowance or leftover lunch money, lol.  If I had the budget, I suppose I'd be right there w/ you all.

I almost paid $40 for The Lost Tapes by Lootpack on CD but came to my sense before checkout.  Around that same time I found a buyer on Discogs who had it listed at, if my memory serves me right, $30 + shipping and what not –– too much for my liking.  I believe the most I've paid for a record to date is $25 for an original pressing of Imagine by John Lennon.  I'm not sure what my cap would be but anything over $25 in total is generally a leap.  I feel like when I buy a record, it's more for the feeling / emotion that I have invested in it than the music itself or the artifact that it may be.  Diana In The Autumn Wind by Gap Mangione (which we all know of) is something I'd break the bank for.  Another Sun Ra record I randomly encounter somewhere might be reason for me to go beyond budget at some point or an OG Arthur Verocai.  

Test presses are a whole 'nother game I haven't gotten into but I have to believe that if I ever do, all bets would be completely off.  

Hope this helps in some way JF.

• James Frank. likes this

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,617 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

ive dropped £40 on a psyche record but will rarely go over £20, of course there is some things you are just not going to get unless you shell out mega bucks (unless there is a repress) but i do enjoy the luck of scoring an expensive record for cheap, i see all these wall piece records in every record shop i go in for like £100-200 and i just think fuck that!

i saw kon (of kon and amir fame) post this on his facebook yesterday

'Instagram accounts with every rare record you've never heard of plus some.. All this says to me is that you are rich. Do you find this display impressive ?'

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#9 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

I'm not a record collector but i bought the madvillainy remixes box set when i was younger and had more money. Burned a copy of the cd and put it back in the box. Also got the t shirt out with the intention of wearing it and 2 weeks later was like 'nawww' and put it back in the box.

Its pretty special to me and one day I'll pull it out and take a look over it all again.

This is all completely irrelevant, sorry

#10 graymatter

graymatter

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:beats, vinyl, good nuggetry
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/graymatterbeats

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

never paid more than $20 for a record because i'm a cheap fuck haha. but i have gotten some straight jewelz for 20 bucks. its all about negotiating with the store owner and buying a lot of records at once so the dudes give you a break on the price lol. hopefully someday i can afford to buy all the super expensive joints...

#11 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

so my question to you, the STMB community, is the following: what is the most you've ever paid for a record?

Most is 200 for a flawless UK gatefold of 'Catapilla'

what is the theoretical maximum amount of money you'd pay for a holy grail record from somewhere like Discogs or something? 

No max, as long as I think I could get my money and use out of it in the future

how would you feel if your most cherished LP was damaged or ruined by somebody intentionally?

unhappy

what would be the minimum amount of value/rarity for a record to be considered a prized possession in your collection?

I buy records for the music,  no minimum value or rarity to love the shit out of a song/record

and finally, can the expert crate diggers here recommend me some releases that are considered rare/sought after, but still reasonable in cost?

gotta get lucky in my experiences.  sometimes I leave empty-handed, sometimes I find some OG sealed joints that are under priced and buy a stack

any help would be greatly appreciated.  if you'd like more context we can discuss privately, but i'd rather not share too much since this is for an on-going project that is currently in-progress...

• CertafiedBluntHead likes this

#12 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

I buy records for the music,  no minimum value or rarity to love the shit out of a song/record

quoted for truth, this above all else

#13 bcwarlock

bcwarlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Making music

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

Id be willing to drop up to $200 if I ever can find a copy of the BurialXMassive attack collab....no more than that though since it is only two tracks....really for me has to mean something to me to drop that kind of cash beyond collectible type value,rarity,etc....gotta be personal.

#14 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

One thing listening to Dilla made me realize is the records matter very little. He flipped some garbage, and made it dope just by applying his creativity to it. Before people go spending $200-300 on records they should probably try their hand at $2-3 records and make sure they don't just suck at making beats.

#15 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

One thing listening to Dilla made me realize is the records matter very little. He flipped some garbage, and made it dope just by applying his creativity to it. Before people go spending $200-300 on records they should probably try their hand at $2-3 records and make sure they don't just suck at making beats.

People can buy records for more than just making beats.  In fact most of the records I've spent good money on are ones I wouldn't dream of flipping, they're usually the most beautiful and unique records I buy, it would be corny to add some drums to some forgotten genius's work and call myself creative.

• CertafiedBluntHead, Grifty, OfficeTime8889 and 3 others like this

#16 MentPlus_

MentPlus_

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Dollar Bins, 45s, Loops
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mentplus

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

Never spend $$ on vinyl you know you can stumble upon for LESS. Only kick in dough if you know for a fact that said record will not be seen by you EVER again. ex. anything foreign or rare etc. You'd be a fool to drop serious $$ on a well known or popular piece. Always keep in mind dollar records have the most to offer. KEEP THAT MINDSET.

#17 Goldspoon

Goldspoon

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:making music

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

i just got my first record a while back on record store day. i can't really use it for beats because i don't have a sampler yet but i got spaceways by sun ra for 30 dollars. now, they were also sellings a record by mac damarco that had a lot less copies and i was debating buying it because i thought it might be worth more in the future, and it turned up a bit later on discogs for a price just as cheap as my sun ra record. im not too experienced in the whole matter but overall i just think its better to prioritize records which you actually want rather than ones which might be more rare or profitable. of course, at a certain point you may not be able to afford a record you really want, so if youre a beat maker and you need records, you might just have to save your grail for later... which sucks lol

#18 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

a hidden interlude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

People can buy records for more than just making beats.  In fact most of the records I've spent good money on are ones I wouldn't dream of flipping, they're usually the most beautiful and unique records I buy, it would be corny to add some drums to some forgotten genius's work and call myself creative.

I second this, though when I made beats (MPC 2500) I struggled with this at first.  I would stumble upon some awesome songs and feel, logically, they should be sampled b/c they sounded good.  It wasn't until later that I arrived at the conclusion that that was the wrong way to look at it.  Sampling is great and all, but sometimes you just gotta lit the record spin and leave it as it is.  

#19 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

Funk like '83 Funk

• Members
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

Great topic, somehow missed it the first time around but....

I just wanted to add that people get too caught up in the rarez game, music is subjective and rare doesn't automatically equal good. It does equal value as long as there are people willing to pay said value. To be honest, most big bucks records sounded like shit to me.

Like others have stated, I usually cap off around $30. Can't justify spending more than that unless it's a super great deal or investment. I've paid $1 for a $300 record so maybe that shifts my bias a little.

#20 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Yall got that OG Mammut? https://www.discogs....release/3061744

I've always kept my limit at 20. Honestly even that is starting to be too much, after scoring the same exact albums (+other uncommon gems) from the 'used' section instead, for less than 8 (that being the maximum). And in good condition.

+Can't argue the ease if Spotify, if the album your considering to buy is also there to stream whenever.

#21 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Yall got that OG Mammut? https://www.discogs....release/3061744

I've always kept my limit at 20. Honestly even that is starting to be too much, after scoring the same exact albums (+other uncommon gems) from the 'used' section instead, for less than 8 (that being the maximum). And in good condition.

+Can't argue the ease if Spotify, if the album your considering to buy is also there to stream whenever.

wutttttt. And here I thought Stark Reality was the Holy Grail of overpriced vinyl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users