#31 MattCoops

MattCoops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

I had a desire to get either a Moog sub phatty or Novation bass and spice up my beats with them.

Then I even thought of getting a drum set and recording live into a 4 track and add a baseline over it.

But for one, my neighbors would kill me if I was banging on drums after work. I usually work on my music around midnight.
And also, I figured with all the mony I was gonna spend on equipment, I could better use it to buy more vinyl with ill bass and drum breaks. Since I'm a sampling producer at heart.

#32 FatVonFree

FatVonFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Recording bands, Playing Bass, Playing Slide guitar and blues and singing my ass off.....collecting records,guitars and tattoos also
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/fatfreeproductions

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:54 AM

i think it has a few layers to why this is a problem.  a small basic understanding of music theory would help.  i play bass guitar though so i have never had this issue so to speak.  my problem was coming from a blues and classic rock background i would make a beat and then black the hell out and play a walking bass line and treat it like a jam session.  back on topic though adrian younge made a comment about learning instruments after seeing young 3rd graders playing instruments he said if he could do it anybody could do it.  i say screw buying a vst or a keyboard.  you can find 40 dollar mexican or squier p basses on craigslist all day.  get one and get on youtube and learn how to hold the damn thing and play some notes.  it will be rewarding and i remember 15 years ago (omfg) when i first started playing guitar and bass how music sounded new to me.  everything i listened to sounded so different once i picked up the bass.  especially when i first started REALLY listening to hip hop.  that didnt come until people started asking me to play on their stuff. I purchased every outkast album and got to work.  anyhoo sorry for rambling. the thread wasnt old, i blame ole dude above me for commenting first, plus i think its important i am sick and tire of being sick and tired of folks playing tired ass key bass.  ROOT....root.....root...root. octave.....fifth fifth.....root.....annoying lol 

• 1stN3rd likes this

#33 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

i think it has a few layers to why this is a problem.  a small basic understanding of music theory would help.  i play bass guitar though so i have never had this issue so to speak.  my problem was coming from a blues and classic rock background i would make a beat and then black the hell out and play a walking bass line and treat it like a jam session.  back on topic though adrian younge made a comment about learning instruments after seeing young 3rd graders playing instruments he said if he could do it anybody could do it.  i say screw buying a vst or a keyboard.  you can find 40 dollar mexican or squier p basses on craigslist all day.  get one and get on youtube and learn how to hold the damn thing and play some notes.  it will be rewarding and i remember 15 years ago (omfg) when i first started playing guitar and bass how music sounded new to me.  everything i listened to sounded so different once i picked up the bass.  especially when i first started REALLY listening to hip hop.  that didnt come until people started asking me to play on their stuff. I purchased every outkast album and got to work.  anyhoo sorry for rambling. the thread wasnt old, i blame ole dude above me for commenting first, plus i think its important i am sick and tire of being sick and tired of folks playing tired ass key bass.  ROOT....root.....root...root. octave.....fifth fifth.....root.....annoying lol 

I've spent 8+ years studying music, learning how to play the guitar, the clarinet and the piano, so I wouldn't say that's a problem for me.

I have an electric guitar which I've thought about incorporating in my beats, just haven't got to it yet. I also have a 40 year old piano (which needs to get tuned though). I'm not interested in buying a bass right now, even though it would feel nice to jam to your beats, I just think synths offer a wider variety of sounds you can obtain, are way more practical and just fit the description of what I'm after at the moment. Using a bass guitar and an effect pedal like the moog fooger or some other shit would be a good combination though, I actually have a few pedals at home but nothing too fancy.

#34 FatVonFree

FatVonFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Recording bands, Playing Bass, Playing Slide guitar and blues and singing my ass off.....collecting records,guitars and tattoos also

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:03 AM

The thing is you don't have to be a pure hip-hop bassist or whatnot to make effective and dope basslines, just look at the beatmakers I've mentioned in my first post, none of them are bassists yet every one of them can arrange a perfectly good bassline, and all of them got a great sense of improvisation to them, they don't limit themselves to only two notes.

how about this. you say you been playing/studying music theory for at least 8 years or so.  so you should understand how to make a simple line. i dont know what daw you use but all daws can do this.   you can load a track and play your guitar into it.  record a simple line with your guitar.  after thats done put it away.  now route that guitar track to another track that is recording incoming audio as midi.  lots of vids on this.  now when its done you have a midi notes and can load up massive onto that track where your midi is. or whatever vst you have. very easy to setup a template that does this to recall it up quickly.  if you can play guitar, you should have a good touch where you know how to navigate smoothly and since you know theory then you can get a get line down.  another option would be to find some freeware guitar amp sims. i could link you to some vids that show you how to easily make your guitar sound like a bass. through some simple processing.  reading your posts i understand you are saying you are having trouble getting the sounds generated properly.  i play key bass pretty well (due to being in kuwait for like 2 months waiting for my guitars and bass to show up) but i think you should use your knowledge of the guitar to get your lines down.  Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower utilizes a six string guitar that eddie kramer made sound like a bass. its too easy these days. lemme know if you need help with a signal chain.  i could send you email you some samples and such.  all about helping somebody out man.  cheers bro 

#35 FatVonFree

FatVonFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

I I just think synths offer a wider variety of sounds you can obtain, are way more practical and just fit the description of what I'm after at the moment. Using a bass guitar and an effect pedal like the moog fooger or some other shit would be a good combination though, I actually have a few pedals at home but nothing too fancy.

word man you dont need nothing fancy. i will say one last thing about the bass and or guitar  that people overlook, once its in your computer you can add any effect or synth in parallel with it or right on top.  sorry for rambling mane just trying to help.  i have a clarinet that i have no clue how to play.  one day man....one day....

#36 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

how about this. you say you been playing/studying music theory for at least 8 years or so.  so you should understand how to make a simple line. i dont know what daw you use but all daws can do this.   you can load a track and play your guitar into it.  record a simple line with your guitar.  after thats done put it away.  now route that guitar track to another track that is recording incoming audio as midi.  lots of vids on this.  now when its done you have a midi notes and can load up massive onto that track where your midi is. or whatever vst you have. very easy to setup a template that does this to recall it up quickly.  if you can play guitar, you should have a good touch where you know how to navigate smoothly and since you know theory then you can get a get line down.  another option would be to find some freeware guitar amp sims. i could link you to some vids that show you how to easily make your guitar sound like a bass. through some simple processing.  reading your posts i understand you are saying you are having trouble getting the sounds generated properly.  i play key bass pretty well (due to being in kuwait for like 2 months waiting for my guitars and bass to show up) but i think you should use your knowledge of the guitar to get your lines down.  Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower utilizes a six string guitar that eddie kramer made sound like a bass. its too easy these days. lemme know if you need help with a signal chain.  i could send you email you some samples and such.  all about helping somebody out man.  cheers bro 

word man you dont need nothing fancy. i will say one last thing about the bass and or guitar  that people overlook, once its in your computer you can add any effect or synth in parallel with it or right on top.  sorry for rambling mane just trying to help.  i have a clarinet that i have no clue how to play.  one day man....one day....

Yeah man it's all good, I appreciate your input and the points you have made (all valid). To be sincere I've lost my touch when it comes to the guitar (haven't played it for at least 2 years). The methods you have described could be used to generate bass without a doubt, however I don't own a midi controller nor do I plan to play the bass on my computers keyboard. That's why I've been so focused on the synth talk, I just want to fuck around with a real keyboard and have everything at the touch of hand, if you get what I'm saying. I've been exploring some options, mostly the microkorg, since its price is decent and it has a lot to offer.

#37 FatVonFree

FatVonFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

you dont need a midi controller or your computer keyboard.  its done through your regular  guitar routed through a separate track capturing the audio and rendering it to midi in realtime. a basic free daw can do this.  anyhoo haha cheers man.  

#38 Jubito

Jubito

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:48 AM

you dont need a midi controller or your computer keyboard.  its done through your regular  guitar routed through a separate track capturing the audio and rendering it to midi in realtime. a basic free daw can do this.  anyhoo haha cheers man.  

Hey man, I've sent you a private message so check it out. Thanks, peace.

#39 MattCoops

MattCoops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

A bass guitar slapped over some loops sounds dope too. Gives it a live feel
  • MattCoops likes this

#40 KVH BEATS

KVH BEATS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Beats.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/krisvanhuystee

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:34 AM

best technique i've found is just to record yourself singing a bouncy off beat line, then just draw it in a midi track while looking at the wave form of the recording as a guide for the placement and velocity of the note. Also, tastefully placing ghost notes on up beats here and there is very effective in developing your groove. 

The line itself isn't as important as the placement of the notes, and often times the grooviest of cats such as Kev Brown are way off beat. There's always a space between 1 and the placement of the downbeat of the bass line. 

As far as sound selection it's not very important, if you can write solid bass lines the sound you use isn't as important as the feel you convery through it. 

#41 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

i need that bass note that Kev Brown uses on his MPC.  i've attempted to recreate it but i just don't get the "bottom" that he gets

#42 scallyhobgoblin

scallyhobgoblin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Trilogy is dope - massively upped my bass game since getting this because the presets are so good

#43 MattCoops

MattCoops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

Sample Mingus
  • soulREBEL360 likes this

#44 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Bass should just add swing to the track. You can do a lot with a little. Simple example: ppl think bass should just mirror the bass drum, but try playing slightly off and around the bass drum. Don't be afraid to play some off-time shit that sounds weird. Listening back, you may be surprised at the results. Dilla and Madlib took this to a crazy level.

#free2Cents

• FatVonFree and Jubito like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bass, hoow the f do they do it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users