18 replies to this topic

#1 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

So, I just saw this video of some ufos over Osaka. Just wondering what y'all think about ufos in general.

Personally, if you consider the size of the universe, it is mathematically impossible that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe. If you consider the age, certainly a species could have a billion year head start. So I think it's possible. Distance is the only factor for me. But who knows.

#2 jbuzz

jbuzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

i don't agree with you at all. The physicist Brian Cox has said the that fact that there is intelligent life at all verges on mathematical impossibility, and that considering the age of the universe it's a total fluke that humanity exists. I'm with him... I believe there is undoubtedly life out there, but it's probably on a bacterial level or something. I certainly don't believe that UFOs have come anywhere near this planet... It honestly just wouldn't make sense, either they'd reveal themselves to us, blow us up, or just watch us from a distance with some super camera or something, why hover around in the sky like that? My two cents

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

You are suggesting that, within the entire universe, no life form exists in terms of intelligence at a higher level than ours?!! I find that preposterous.

The universe is so massive that the chances for other earth like planets is absolutely countless. Scientists just found an earth like planet ("Earths cousin" it was just in the news). It is the first ever discovered in a potentially very long list. It has the conditions for life and also... a billion year head start on us.

If we assume that life evolves at a similar pace, given the conditions, this planet, the first one ever found, the first among potentially trillions upon trillions, has been granted a billion year head start over us to evolve. Who knows where they are as a species.

As long as we do not kill ourselves, imagine where we would be in a billion years. In 100 years of flight, we are already at the edge of our solar system!!! Give another Billion certainly intergalactic travel is a real possibility.

#4 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

Growing up I was super interested in UFOs, aliens, etc as my dad's pretty interested in that stuff. Used to listen to Coast to Coast a lot, hearing all the crazy stories from callers and guests was neat.

I don't think we're the only advanced society, with everything being so big/beyond our comprehension really it's insane to me to think that we're it. I've always been confused by people who believe in God/religion stuff but don't think there's life out there, it makes way more sense than thinking there's a fairy tale heaven/etc.

With all that said, I think that if there's any truth to the alien/ufo stuff it is more than likely all robotic/drone/etc type technology instead of like biological alien life coming down here checking things out. If you really think about it, thousands of years from now if we're not already robots ourselves, we would be sending these kinds of things all over the universe/galaxy/etc. Look at what we're already sending out there within our own solar system. 

Some interesting reading, the idea of self-replication and replicating machines in addition to machine learning are all imo a good chance of being related to how this stuff could work

https://en.wikipedia...elf-replication

https://en.wikipedia...icating_machine

https://en.wikipedia...achine_learning

http://motherboard.v...elligent-robots

As some people have said, our first contact on Earth will likely be with technology from an alien civilization, prob not any biological forms.

Edit: Another good link https://en.wikipedia...ting_spacecraft

• mangoes cash and James Frank. like this

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Awesome stuff GC.
Totally agree.
Must have been cool ( I think you are in Oregon) listening to crackling radio, out in the forested mountains, foggy. ah....

Anyhow, To continue on, I read a book a while back, The Hidden Reality, by Brian Greene. In it, Greene talks about the mathematics of our perspective of the universe, and given this, what may indeed be happening.

One thing this qualified scholar talks about is the infinity of the universe. He states that the universe is so big and contains so much matter, so many stars and planets have formed that there is very much, the mathematical probability that this reality, which Im or you are sitting in, is occurring exactly as is, at other points in the universe, at an infinite times over.

He talks about the multi verse and shit.
pretty cool.
  • GC90 likes this

#6 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Must have been cool ( I think you are in Oregon) listening to crackling radio, out in the forested mountains, foggy. ah....

Haha yeah I grew up in Washington, def many of those nights when traveling around growing up. Def a lot of times like in Bright Falls from Alan Wake lol http://alanwake.wiki...ki/Bright_Falls . It sucks because Coast to Coast is catering more to the weird conspiracy/political stuff these days, as a kid it seemed more focused on aliens, big foot, etc.

I watched 2001 for the first time this last weekend (and watched it the next day when dad was hanging out lol). I'm sure a lot of people have already seen it, but if you haven't also interesting take on this sorta stuff.

Really love this sequence. This is what I imagine everything working like, beyond our comprehension and whatnot lol . It's really why I never got into the religion stuff myself, the more you think about how big/complicated everything is it is funny to think that people in the church/mosque/whatever have it all figured out in this super simplified way. 

• mangoes cash and felixherandez like this

#7 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/the-jackals_url

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

What you guys are talking about is the Fermi Paradox. If you haven't heard of it, you should look into it.

Here's the wikipedia article on it which is pretty informative.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Fermi_paradox

The basic idea is that there are two categorical reasons why we haven't been able to detect intelligent life in the observable universe. 1 line of thinking is that there is no other intelligent life in the universe, the other line of thinking is that there is intelligent life but we have no idea how to detect it. 

It's possible that there is no other intelligent life because intelligent life always gets wiped out in a mass extinction event (asteroid, gamma ray burst, or other cosmic horrors), or wipes itself out (nuclear war, or some other self destructive possibility)before it can become more or less permanently sustainable. Other theories for why there may be no life is that it's statistically improbable, or that we're actually living in a computer simulation. 

Reasons for why there may be life but we can't detect it is that other advanced civilizations may have abandoned radio communication thousands or even millions of years ago. OR they never used radio waves to begin with and developed some other type of communication technology all together. It's a very interesting subject.

Personally I believe that there is plenty of life out there, but that some of it is far more advanced than we can comprehend. I don't believe in "UFOs" being extraterrestrial though. An extraterrestrial life form with the technology to traverse the galaxy would have to be pretty stupid to come and play hide and seek here on earth. It's almost laughable. 

• GC90 and jbuzz like this

#8 bamajoe

bamajoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

http://www.openminds...es-vallee/29118

peep

#9 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Ive seen quite a few of these vds on uoutube that are all these orbs. Ive seen em here. These began roughly in 06. Id attribute it to some technological advancement by uncle sam or something that cant be detected through the color spectrum (im no scientist).

I did have dinner with the an ancient aliens dude mainly because my cousin as you would imagine, like me has a penchant for liking scrubby dudes-so they hang. Guy is mad funny and cheezy.

given some interviews Ive seen id surmise that Madlib believes in aliens...so who am I to argue with him?

#10 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Haha yeah I grew up in Washington, def many of those nights when traveling around growing up. Def a lot of times like in Bright Falls from Alan Wake lol http://alanwake.wiki...ki/Bright_Falls . It sucks because Coast to Coast is catering more to the weird conspiracy/political stuff these days, as a kid it seemed more focused on aliens, big foot, etc.

I watched 2001 for the first time this last weekend (and watched it the next day when dad was hanging out lol). I'm sure a lot of people have already seen it, but if you haven't also interesting take on this sorta stuff.

Really love this sequence. This is what I imagine everything working like, beyond our comprehension and whatnot lol . It's really why I never got into the religion stuff myself, the more you think about how big/complicated everything is it is funny to think that people in the church/mosque/whatever have it all figured out in this super simplified way.

Kubrick is the man.

On you thoughts of religious people having tapped this, there are very interesting connections in many facets of organized religion. I follow a page on Facebook, the Resonance Project. Much of their posts tie mathematical phenomenon that are at the core of existance with art, statues, etc throughout human history.

image.jpg
Shrine Sayeda Fatima Iran

#11 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

given some interviews Ive seen id surmise that Madlib believes in aliens...so who am I to argue with him?

Reminds me of this lol

#12 jbuzz

jbuzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

You are suggesting that, within the entire universe, no life form exists in terms of intelligence at a higher level than ours?!! I find that preposterous.

The universe is so massive that the chances for other earth like planets is absolutely countless. Scientists just found an earth like planet ("Earths cousin" it was just in the news). It is the first ever discovered in a potentially very long list. It has the conditions for life and also... a billion year head start on us.

If we assume that life evolves at a similar pace, given the conditions, this planet, the first one ever found, the first among potentially trillions upon trillions, has been granted a billion year head start over us to evolve. Who knows where they are as a species.

As long as we do not kill ourselves, imagine where we would be in a billion years. In 100 years of flight, we are already at the edge of our solar system!!! Give another Billion certainly intergalactic travel is a real possibility.

I think that the fact that there are billions of other planets doesn't diminish the fact that there is intelligent life on earth is incredibly, incredibly lucky. There's an Aussie show called Q&A, and in an episode Cox went pretty in depth about why he believed it and it made a lot of sense to me... Unfortunately, I can't find it online so I'm gonna have to stick with the Daily Mail haha:

http://www.dailymail...ity-unique.html

It also seems to me, that whenever a major scientific figure (e.g. Hawking or Sagan) goes and looks for extraterrestrial life, they're doing it as much or if not more out of hope and idealism than out of genuine belief that there is anything. As the saying goes, in an infinite universe anything is possible, but I still think that we're probably alone, and even if we're not I seriously doubt that there is any species advanced enough to be capable of the kind of interstellar travel that would let them move millions, billions, and trillions of lightyears between planets so they could contact, see, or interact with humanity.

I think one thing that people also fail to account for is 'human' stupidity... Even if there is intelligent life, what's to indicate they've done anything more than fucking about playing with sticks for however long it took for them to incur an extinction event... Our great technological leap forward has come pretty much completely in the past 400-500 years. Put that into context of the timeline of the hundred thousand plus years the homo sapiens has been on the planet, and it seems just as much of a fluke to me that we are clever and curious enough to try and figure out the secrets of the universe as the fact that life exists on earth at all. To me it's pretty likely that there are species that are intelligent, but just never needed to or tried to find anything beyond their own existence out, especially since most people on this planet seem to be so fucking stupid. So, to reiterate, I think there's undoubtedly life out there, but probably not as intelligent or advanced as we are.

#13 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

Eerie that as you all are talking about this I was outside tonight and happened to see what appeared to me to be a star moving from south to north. There's a visible flight pattern of planes heading 10m n to the airport in a southwesterly direction and occasionally planes heading 5, 70, 90 miles north to the other airports so I could use those planes as a sample.
I've seen black ops helicopters and the HNIC's envoy quite a few times-but they always fly rather low.
This thing looked like a star and so I was like why is this thing moving and shining but not moving. It's pattern appeared to make an arc. I divided it was a satellite. Anyway. I thought it weird and sewhat timely.

#14 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

I think that the fact that there are billions of other planets doesn't diminish the fact that there is intelligent life on earth is incredibly, incredibly lucky. There's an Aussie show called Q&A, and in an episode Cox went pretty in depth about why he believed it and it made a lot of sense to me... Unfortunately, I can't find it online so I'm gonna have to stick with the Daily Mail haha:

http://www.dailymail...ity-unique.html

It also seems to me, that whenever a major scientific figure (e.g. Hawking or Sagan) goes and looks for extraterrestrial life, they're doing it as much or if not more out of hope and idealism than out of genuine belief that there is anything. As the saying goes, in an infinite universe anything is possible, but I still think that we're probably alone, and even if we're not I seriously doubt that there is any species advanced enough to be capable of the kind of interstellar travel that would let them move millions, billions, and trillions of lightyears between planets so they could contact, see, or interact with humanity.
I think one thing that people also fail to account for is 'human' stupidity... Even if there is intelligent life, what's to indicate they've done anything more than fucking about playing with sticks for however long it took for them to incur an extinction event... Our great technological leap forward has come pretty much completely in the past 400-500 years. Put that into context of the timeline of the hundred thousand plus years the homo sapiens has been on the planet, and it seems just as much of a fluke to me that we are clever and curious enough to try and figure out the secrets of the universe as the fact that life exists on earth at all. To me it's pretty likely that there are species that are intelligent, but just never needed to or tried to find anything beyond their own existence out, especially since most people on this planet seem to be so fucking stupid. So, to reiterate, I think there's undoubtedly life out there, but probably not as intelligent or advanced as we are.

Funny shit man, I feel yah. But the earth, the universe, everything is made up in pattern. Things repeat over and over. Stars, planets around them, galaxies, black holes, pulsars. All these universal scale elements exist in arguably infinite numbers, certainly in the trillions upon trillions.

So, what made us, star dust. Star exploded shooting out core atoms, which formed molecules, forming matter, planets etc.

Yes, we are very lucky. Life, is rare. The conditions have to be perfect, but what I am saying, and is fact, is that the number of times this scenario could exist in the universe is countless. In a 100 000 years we have gone from jungle dwellers to mapping the stars. 100 000 years is minuscule. Also, the real advancements have really only come this century.

So, if there are other planets with the conditions for life, which there are, again, probably in almost infinite numbers, certainly some have gotten to our point and beyond. Some probably got smacked by an asteroid before they invented radio. Some may still rely on fire. Some, may still only live in the sea as shrimp.

Point is, the chances are high since the conditions occur so many times.

Here is a good video of Neil DeGrasse Tyson explaing why he thinks there is life.
https://youtu.be/n6a....be/n6aAnzXzOIM
  • GC90 likes this

#15 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Wine, Cigars & Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

What if all life really is is a massive trip off some heavy alien drugs, we wake up in a room full of ETs sitting around us glaring and after a moments pause they ask 'Well... How was it!?'
  • GC90 and spanishFLU like this

#16 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

I see heavennnn.

#17 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 AM

This one's a classic. I always go back to it every few years. Apparently there are alien bases underground, they've been here for years and governments around the globe are fighting wars in secret. They harvest humans to get high on our adrenochrome. Also: the only piece of evidence he brought was given to him by his father "when he was 8"... so yeah, but it's all highly entertaining.

There's also a conspiracy theory going around about the 'mysterious' death of Phil Schneider.

#18 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted Today, 03:32 PM

pink floyd's echoes (which apparently they did plan to synchronize) synchs up perfectly with the ending of 2001 space odyssey :)

#19 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted Today, 03:59 PM

the universe, its creation, and what its here for is an absurdly complex question that has so many answers to so many different people.

from a nihilistic view, we are un-important as a single being to have any greater purpose other than wake up, work, eat, work, & sleep. repeat til youre 65, & die. the universe was here before you, and will be fine without you. you dont matter.

the opposite would be; find your purpose in life and how you can help others be a better person. the hard part is, to devote yourself fully to that commitment (see nihilism). regardless of what religion you believe, in part or wholesomely, the fact that so many religions exist and can relate (on a rudimentary level) to each other is very telling. not that a greater power truly exists, but that human beings have tried, again and again to rationalize and package what it means to be a good person and what is evil.

joseph campbell is honestly one of those dudes who explains "the story" so well. hearing his lectures and un-biased view on comparative religions is Serious food for thought.

folks like sasha shulgin ask the hard question; "why do we have the receptors for these experiences built into our brains"? like, why do we even have these effects on our minds and search for meaning, over and over again? why have so many people from different parts of the world come to similar conclusions? like a gigantic orb of light that we can only see from one angle. from our point of view, it is this way. but another person on the other side of the orb may see the light as a different voice. why cant we be satisfied with this life, right here. what is it that you are looking for in an alien and wish to gain? infinite knowledge, incredible super-human technology, or a fountain of youth to prevent your body deteriorating? this life, and this moment is the greatest moment of your life. when you realize we are all connected and every action has a reaction with every living thing you encounter. the infinite love surrounding you when you decide to think positively. the uncanny ability of the universe to open doors where they werent before. ultimately, to follow your bliss. not run away from your problems and escape life, but find what makes you happy and pursue it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users