#1 bcwarlock

bcwarlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Making music

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

Anyone using Ableton and got any swing tips/tricks.....lately I've been putting snares on the grid and moving them off slightly using the narrowest grid setting and then playing some of the  hat parts by hand without any quantizing and then either playing the kicks by hand or arranging them on the grid.Then all i do is add other percussion with any of the above methods or completely off the grid so they almost sound "wrong".Im still struggling though and wanted some advice so advise away haha :)

#2 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Whisky, Wine, Cigars & Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

I don't use ableton. That being said, repetition is the only way to get good at any of this shit. The more beats I make the more natural my drums and swing become. The little software tips and advice you get will help you briefly but most the stuff you learn you'll drop later once you have formulated your own methods and techniques. Keep experimenting like you are, what you're doing now will get you better results than any "tricks" anyone else might use. Supplementing experimentation and repetition for quick tips will only slow you down.

Peace.

#3 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Splooge into your keyboard to get that sticky beat.

#4 bcwarlock

bcwarlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

I don't use ableton. That being said, repetition is the only way to get good at any of this shit. The more beats I make the more natural my drums and swing become. The little software tips and advice you get will help you briefly but most the stuff you learn you'll drop later once you have formulated your own methods and techniques. Keep experimenting like you are, what you're doing now will get you better results than any "tricks" anyone else might use. Supplementing experimentation and repetition for quick tips will only slow you down.

Peace.

even in the short time since i posted this what you have said seems to be completely true.Experimenting and coming up w/ my own shit seems to be really the way to go.Right now I'm basically using Ableton like a 404.Turning off the global bpm and playing a beat in live,then using the set button like the mark button on a 404 to get it looped right.Add some samples and once i have enough scenes that sound good i map the each to a pad on my midi controller and record into arrangement view.When I'm done i send it out to the SP 404 effects/compression.

#5 bcwarlock

bcwarlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted Today, 05:39 AM

Splooge into your keyboard to get that sticky beat.

Actually came close once in my teenage years...would've been an interesting story to try to explain to my mom back then since it was the family computer hahaha :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

CertafiedBluntHead