• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

GODBODY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/delicuts

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

So I'm sitting here like I do on the daily...flipping samples...and I notice that I'm doing the same shit to pretty much every sample... Is that finding your own sound or lacking creativity?

I came across a technique or way of flipping a sample and all I want to do now is make my shit sound like that, but. I feel like I'm being lazy or something because all my tracks are kind of sounding the same..even though the samples are different.

I'm on some real lord finesse shit right now...

#2 Bliss

Bliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:beats, art, food
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/12bliss

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Same here, kind of feels good to have a routine and get shit done, but makes me also wonder if I'm wasting potential...

Am I on the wrong track?

#3 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 PM

i wonder about this sometimes..  i'm like: "shit i need to do some shit in a different genre"  so i'm like "ok i'm gonna make a garage track or something".  it ends up just being super basic garage shit, and i'm like "fuuuu i can't do anything progressive or new everything i do is derivative and contrived".  i'm always.... searching.....for.....that....perfect......beat..............

• shakey finch likes this

#4 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

I struggle with that still sometimes. I think everyone does... Luckily my wifey's always like 'this sounds like all your other shit' or 'the drums are like all your other drums' haha second set of ears helps me a lot. I often go back and re-work shit when she says that.

What helped me is to just try new techniques that you're not familiar with. Do you usually do sample chops first or drums first? Mix it up... Do you usually do basslines before or after you've done your drums? Mix it up... Do you usually only make beats in 80-95 tempo range? Try some 60-75 tempos or 95-120... Breaks or sample packs? You get the idea. I also found really thinking about the sample first and letting it dictate your direction will help. For all of hip hops talk about "music appreciation" half the producers these days don't appreciate shit! Spend a solid 15 minutes with the sample selection track on loop. Plan an attack. Instead of pushing every sample into a cookie cutter mold, let it tell you what it wants you to do.

And finally listen and study more music. Swing jazz or African jazz... Study the percussion. Listen to drum rhythms from dudes like knxwledge, find all the intricacies. Ghost snares and bongo/Tom hits.

Peace.

Edit: there's a BIG difference between you're signature sound and just doing the same shit with every track... Most dudes never find their real signature sound. Don't let the thought of a "signature sound" be a cop out for laziness. People will see through that shit. There's plenty of beat makers who's beats don't all sound the same but you know it's come from that producer... That has nothing to do with them using the same drum patterns and sample chops but more to do with their individual ear and micro-techniques. Most of them will probably tell you they never even thought about their own "sound" it just becomes a natural thing when you're on that level.
  • James Frank., JoaGymshoe and Low Hiss like this

#5 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

GODBODY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Edit: there's a BIG difference between you're signature sound and just doing the same shit with every track... Most dudes never find their real signature sound. Don't let the thought of a "signature sound" be a cop out for laziness. People will see through that shit. There's plenty of beat makers who's beats don't all sound the same but you know it's come from that producer... That has nothing to do with them using the same drum patterns and sample chops but more to do with their individual ear and micro-techniques. Most of them will probably tell you they never even thought about their own "sound" it just becomes a natural thing when you're on that level.

I hear you... I was just wondering if that was the case for everyone else here..... like I have no problem..making a beat, but after awhile it's like... ehhh, i'm doing the same shit over and over... that last track I posted in my thread.. I kind of was listening to a lot of older shit and it was a track I heard before..knew it could be flipped, but didn't really feel like I had what it took to make it sing... so finally I had a revelation when it came to using effects and was like.. ok, i'm gonna go do some shit like that... and it was the first thing that came to mind.

now i'm really feeling the sound of that track and kind of learned a few things from making that...and I want to make more shit with that feeling, but everytime I go to chop something...it just reminds me of that one track I made.. and i'm like... ahhh, i'm about to make the same damn track again..just with different sounds lmao

maybe I do need to chill out and just loop the sample and see where it wants to take me... let myself get tired of it and see where i'd like it to go.

THE OTHER THING IS.... I feel like all this experimenting is kind of putting a pause on my tapes I was making, cause now I'm like.. screw my old shit...this needs to be what I put out there lol

#6 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Maybe have a break man. Sounds like you're overthinking things... A week or two away from beat making will probably give you some fresh ears and perspective.

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Yesterday, 03:08 PM

I hear you... I was just wondering if that was the case for everyone else here..... like I have no problem..making a beat, but after awhile it's like... ehhh, i'm doing the same shit over and over... that last track I posted in my thread.. I kind of was listening to a lot of older shit and it was a track I heard before..knew it could be flipped, but didn't really feel like I had what it took to make it sing... so finally I had a revelation when it came to using effects and was like.. ok, i'm gonna go do some shit like that... and it was the first thing that came to mind.

now i'm really feeling the sound of that track and kind of learned a few things from making that...and I want to make more shit with that feeling, but everytime I go to chop something...it just reminds me of that one track I made.. and i'm like... ahhh, i'm about to make the same damn track again..just with different sounds lmao

maybe I do need to chill out and just loop the sample and see where it wants to take me... let myself get tired of it and see where i'd like it to go.

THE OTHER THING IS.... I feel like all this experimenting is kind of putting a pause on my tapes I was making, cause now I'm like.. screw my old shit...this needs to be what I put out there lol

if you're second-guessing yourself and criticizing your old shit harshly, then you're moving in the right direction.  i mean, definitely hold onto that stuff because you'll get sentimental about it eventually -- and some day, your old ears will give your beats the benefit of the doubt and appreciate the journey you went through -- but if you know what's good for you, then you will definitely hack apart your entire style several times over as you slowly glean new techniques that eventually become your style...

i just mentioned this in the KNX thread, but i'll just say again in this context that it took me a very long time to get to a point where my sound started becoming cohesive...and it's an on-going process, that'll continue even once i stop rapping/producing beats later this year.  but all i can say is absorb as much as you can skill-wise, and have the ambition to seek out things that people didn't know they wanted so bad.  i mean, i hate to give a specific example and risk having my ideas co-opted by other, less talented cats here -- but we can all pretty much agree that genres like country/western and punk have almost never been utilized by beatmakers on a large scale.

most dudes/ladies are too wrapped up in trends and emulating another style that they just end up flipping the same tired, fucking boring drum breaks we've all heard a million times...or some hacky fucking jazz riff that any soundcloud-level producer could spot from a mile away.  be patient in your sample selections; i hear people sample the stupidest parts of songs all the time, and it sucks because the little flourish two bars later could've been made into a crazily sick sounding track.  in the end, the best advice is to just be fucking creative and don't be afraid to be influenced by other people...i'm not afraid to say that my "style" is essentially just all my favorite artists mashed up in a weird enough way to warrant re-labeling it, but there's also like 2-3 specific things i do that i haven't really heard any of my influences experiment with ever -- so that makes me feel like i've moved in the right direction.

• EdTheYounger likes this

#8 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Haha touching on what JF said I remember when I got in to beat making my mom tried to hook me up with all her old Rock records and I was like 'mom... Ain't no body making hip hop out of rock music' she said 'well maybe you could be the one to change that' lol. Then Madlib dropped rock konducta. Had me looking like a fool.

#9 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Not if you want to make any money...................

#10 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

If you're doing music with the intention of making money then good luck with that...
  • shakey finch and Low Hiss like this

#11 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:05 PM

I'm kinda iffy on this thread, I think this is one of those things that defines an artist. Only advice I can give, is move diagonally instead of linerally. Work on 2 projects at once (at least), and instead of moving straight along on one project's path, drift toward one of the projects while you work on another. Pull a madlib, come up with 100 different names and compartmentalize each one into fulfilling some of your artistic goals.

I work on Project A (beats) Project B (indie rock) and Project C (drawing)

so I'll work on my main Project A but keep Project B in the back of my mind, trying to keep an eye out for things to learn from Project A to use in Project B, once I get around to it. Then, when the refinements to Project A get tedious, because I've already fixed most of the obvious mistakes, I'll start to work on Project B and already have a few ideas to get the ball rolling.

edit: this is why J Dilla is the best. Come out with a style equally as sophisticated as the last. He was able to aim at a moving target, or maybe make the target others aimed at.

#12 GPBear

GPBear

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:14 PM

"If you can't pull from 3000 years of history, you're living hand to mouth" ~ Van Goethe

#13 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

GODBODY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

If you're doing music with the intention of making money then good luck with that...

Facts....I hate money...don't know why that way brought up.

But you dudes are right...I'm not trying to find my style...it was more of me just sayng. I felt like I was doing the same shit over.

#14 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

I love money only in the way it allows me to live the life I live. But I'm realistic about art and creativity and I don't think money should ever be a factor in someone's mind when they're creating. The only thing I think about when I make music is how I feel... I mean shit, I have samples stashed away in my 'to flip' folder that I'll only touch when I'm in the right mindset emotionally. Money's a means to create but creating shouldn't be viewed as a means to money, in my opinion. And yes you're correct, I dunno why 1st even mentioned it.

#15 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Oh my bad I forgot jokes were not part of the new STMB.

• James Frank., jbuzz and EdTheYounger like this

#16 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Sarcasm was not evident enough.

#17 Low Hiss

Low Hiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Wax (both meanings^^), Vintage samplers, Good music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/low-hiss

Posted Today, 07:16 AM

'mom... Ain't no body making hip hop out of rock music'

Run DMC, Public Enemy, Force MCs, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill... Rock has been sampled in hip hop from day one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users