Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

I highly recommend listening to a house/jazz artist from England called Floating Points
  • Beatronome likes this

#62 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

check this dude out, ital tek.  i think i might have heard of him here actually, i can't remember who turned me onto this fool.  shit's pretty dope though

• Beatronome likes this

#63 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.

#64 l i f

l i f

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 AM

Yeah a friend of mine told me about Amon Tobin a few months back. I was surprised I hadn't heard of him before. I checked out a few of his albums out of curiosity, and he's pretty damn dope. I'm surprised his name isn't thrown around more on these boards.

I bought my SP-808 in early 1999 off the back of hearing Bricolage and later Permutations.... at a time when D+B was Amen-ad-infinitum, Tobin was pretty revolutionary ithink... some earlier Cujo was pretty dope too in a dank, D+B/Hiphop style though I understand he's largely disowned that earlier incarnation. Bumping Bricolage now and it's still both cinematic and dusty - hasn't aged or dated much at all.

MUXMOOL is a producer I found recently çause of his Knifefight project with Beans from ol' AntipopConsortium... mbe not unsung since it's out on Anticon label but I think even Beans (not to mention Preist and M. Sayyid) are terribly underrrated... Muxmool has some sweet tracks on his soundcloud probably deserve some extra plays... Knifefight is a tight little collabo.

#65 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted Yesterday, 09:22 AM

I bought my SP-808 in early 1999 off the back of hearing Bricolage and later Permutations.... at a time when D+B was Amen-ad-infinitum, Tobin was pretty revolutionary ithink... some earlier Cujo was pretty dope too in a dank, D+B/Hiphop style though I understand he's largely disowned that earlier incarnation. Bumping Bricolage now and it's still both cinematic and dusty - hasn't aged or dated much at all.

MUXMOOL is a producer I found recently çause of his Knifefight project with Beans from ol' AntipopConsortium... mbe not unsung since it's out on Anticon label but I think even Beans (not to mention Preist and M. Sayyid) are terribly underrrated... Muxmool has some sweet tracks on his soundcloud probably deserve some extra plays... Knifefight is a tight little collabo.

Did Tobin use an SP-808 on his early stuff? I purchased one recently and I've really been enjoying the '90s digital feel.

#66 l i f

l i f

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted Today, 03:34 AM

Yo, i really have no idea... I read his first sampler was the Akai S01, but who knows where he went from there... no, i chose the 808 cause the guy in the guitar store talked me into it... was the newest/latest and cost a bomb! At that stage my forays into electronic music was limited to casiotone keys and strings of guitar-pedals and it was Tobin's sample-sources that were interesting to me as a drummer interested in jazz and his take on breaks. I've never regretted getting the SP808 just cause it's so playable; great pads and solid processing capabilities... cool that you picked one up. Amon need his own thread on the STMB?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users