• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted Yesterday, 12:37 PM

I didn't see the video....I just read the posts...but right now i'm pretty content with the drums I got.... so this thread is pretty much done for.... I think everybody pitched in some great info and it really helped me figure this one out.... for kick drums at least

now i'm going to eq all my snares... lets see what happens.

#32 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Not sure on the clipping thing bra. I mean clipping the master fader at least... If I want to clip drums (which I do regularly) I'll send them to a comp and use the comps make up gain to clip it without actually do any compression, just using solely the gain. And it doesn't even have to be a comp, sometimes a plug with any kind of make up gain can do some nice clipping. You basically slam it in to the tool and then lower that sounds fader in the mix so the overall mix volume never actually changes. You need to leave your self heaps of headroom for limiting and mastering so clipping your mix on the master fader (if I'm understanding what you said correctly) is a pretty big no no.

But hey, I guess if it works for you it works for you :)

#33 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Lol, it'll just be my secret.... my shit is knocking right now... and it does not sound distorted or clipped.. and in fact while it is in my hardware it isn't anywhere near peaking.... my computer cannot handle that sound because it isn't meant to.. but a dedicated hardware can handle it no problem.

• EdTheYounger likes this

#34 JoaGymshoe

JoaGymshoe

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 PM

...I'm curious to hear the result man!...  can't seem to find you on SC though?

#35 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Cool cool. As for the 200-700freq thing you were saying. You're correct most people aren't accounting for hip hop genres when discussing those "rules". Still be careful with build up in them areas though cause it will make your shit muddy as opposed to warm. I've said before I tend to cut EVERYTHING out of the track that isn't needed at first, the shit then sounds pretty dry and thin but then I'll slowly boost 200-700 bands back in on snares/hats/kicks and samples etc so it's more a lean warmth and fatness as opposed to a cruddy muddy sound. Also I know you don't use comps or plugs but a great tip for anyone else who wants fatness is to smash the whole track through a parralell comp, basically sit on the whole track, squash all the peaks so it's just a slab of thick sound, low pass and high pass that channel get those high and low freqs out of the way (so nows it's a big warm slab of 200-700ish freqs). Now notch out spaces with subtractive eq like we spoke about before. IE: give all your drums a place to sit within this slab of sound you've created. Then blend it back in with the original to taste. It really helps fill all the holes of the mix without muddying the whole thing up. I kinda learnt that one myself when all my mixes were coming out to clean and thin.

Peace.

#36 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:43 PM

..all my shit bangs on my monitors, but it was just on my crappy computer that I couldn't really hear anything, which was kind of annoying...because I know a lot of people listen to music on laptop and iPhone headphones which usually stop picking up sounds around 125hz depending on the laptop and what not.

Buy some shitty speakers or use your laptop speaker every now and then while you mix. It'll help drastically, and it won't cost you anything. 

4:04

• Jubito and EdTheYounger like this

#37 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Haha I was going to mention that video in my post. I actually watched it for the first time like a week ago. I always heard quincy loved his auratones though.

#38 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Yeah a quick just outrageous gain boost and then bring the fader down will do ya good.

But I was starting to get more on LeftFoot's side just because it's really the final frontier, "What if I just let the shit in the red and bank on it getting backed down by hardware/youtube/soundcloud" it's always been a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind, 'crazy enough it just might work'

#39 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Cherry bomb..?

#40 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:50 PM

?

#41 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

I'll post results tomorrow, I'm still figuring out snares right now.... my drums have a real low end sound to them, but I can still hear them through my speakers now... which is all I really wanted... the thing I noticed with snares is that I don't have to eq the shit into the red like i was before... I literally was having a big red brick in various parts of the waveform with my kicks, but it would go down after a minus in amplification in audacity.... with snares... after everything.. i'll probably have a hair sizes red line... which doesn't mean much...

what i'll do tomorrow is pick any shit sample i can find and play a drum pattern over it and sign back into my soundcloud.... I changed my name on there and I might change it again tomorrow... I'm having an identity crisis...lol ..... thinking of changing it to Art Garde or some shit closer to my name...

I do want to get better at compression, which at the moment i am not really doing right now... i'm just trying to get my shit to sound good straight off eq... no layering..no compression.. or anything like that.... the most i'd play with is reverb on snares and hats... but i haven't tried it yet with any snares since i've only made like 2 as of right now.... but let's see what happens tomorrow.

good night.

#42 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted Today, 01:31 AM

One thing we haven't mentioned is the sampler involved in drum samples, you can't get an SP1200 s950 etc with software, recording hot on those maschines creates that distortion from the circuitry and the filters, then ran into a reel to reel. Layers are really important, Low subby kick layed with a disco kick (Both from vinyl the source does make a difference), you have boom thump and knock,

Try pushing the mids on the disco kick and cutting all the bass out, take off all the high and mid off the subby kick, slap them both into a transient designer and fiddle, a gadget by D16 group decimort is amazing at becoming a pre amp, and make your drums sound louder. Something else that rings a bell which is well important is perceived volume. 

This is well interesting seeing Kanye struggle with his drums.

Oh and Timbo does not make his own drums a guy called Anomoly makes his kits for him. So he does not tweak shit he's little liar. That look on Kanyes face says it all, he had overlooked the sound spectrum, and looked like a noob with timbo explaining layers ha ha!

#43 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted Today, 05:16 AM

At around 4:00 that kick right there is how my kicks sound before I filter them...that shit is wild distorted...beyond a 0db level....and that's what you need to be heard... I saw another video with ill mind saying some shit about his drums being saved at 3db
The 808 isn't a bad idea if you're trying to do club music or w,e, but I'm just trying to keep it smooth ...I actually hate 808s lol ....I just recorded some bullshit just to here how my drums sound...I'm gonna post it in a sec...let me get this coffee

It shouldn't be considered hype...cause it's really not a song at all...I literally picked anything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users