jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

tumblr_inline_nmfsfbc8x81rirs9l_500.jpg

Hey all,

I've released quite a few beat tapes over the years, which you guys have graciously listened to and given me feedback on. Somehow, I ended up signing to a label (albeit a small one) in New York, where I've lived and DJ'd for the past two years (originally from Portland).

The project is called Gemz, and is a short beat tape. It's sample based and has some of the same characteristics of my other work, but with harder hitting drums. You can purchase it on (black) cassette tape, digitally or on iTunes:

https://wacksrecords....com/album/gemz

0004895256_10.jpg

Would love some feedback!

Peace!

• Goodz047, GC90, James Frank. and 1 other like this

#2 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hey man, did you do all the mixing yourself or did they have someone at the label do some also? Because the mixes are real nice and dreamy. I'm not a huge fan of big/hard hitting drums in general, I like a more laid back softer sound profile. So in that regard I'm probably a bit biased in saying I wasn't huge on the drums (not from an arrangement stand point, more the overall sound selections). Otherwise great work man! Proud to see some STMB users getting the love they deserve.

Peace and love.

#3 Chubs The Magnanimous

Chubs The Magnanimous

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

Congrats man, I'll take listen!

#4 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I really like the 3 songs, hope to hear more from you in the future. I'd buy the tape if it were a finished album and half the price.

#5 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hey man, did you do all the mixing yourself or did they have someone at the label do some also? Because the mixes are real nice and dreamy. I'm not a huge fan of big/hard hitting drums in general, I like a more laid back softer sound profile. So in that regard I'm probably a bit biased in saying I wasn't huge on the drums (not from an arrangement stand point, more the overall sound selections). Otherwise great work man! Proud to see some STMB users getting the love they deserve.

Peace and love.

Thanks for the love, Ed! Yeah, I did all the mixing myself. I used to pay mucho dinero for an engineer in a big studio up in Seattle to mix my stuff, but I've gotten pretty good at it on my small line mixer. I'm far from perfect, though; when I was listening to it today, I started to notice some things off on the mix of "here again." Ah well. And no worries about the drums—I'm not always a huge fan of them, either.

I really like the 3 songs, hope to hear more from you in the future. I'd buy the tape if it were a finished album and half the price.

Word! Yeah, label charged a little too much for them, I think. We had a packed-room release party last Friday in a radio station studio in Brooklyn and only like two people bought them because most didn't have over $20 on them ha.

• EdTheYounger likes this

#6 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

I really loved the NYC "skits".. the way you put those sounds together was beautiful....I really thought you had something going there, but like the other guy mentioned about drum selection.. I feel the same way. At first I thought you were going to come with some really sloppy (in a good way) drums that had a real grittiness to them to go with the grittiness of the NY Landscape... I still kind of want to hear how it would sound with that... but yeah... overall great tape, just try to get better drums... I hate digital age drum sounds...they're just too crisp for my ears.. it makes them sound cheesy.

next project i'd love to see you implement that.

and if you're living out in Brooklyn i'd love to try to get people together...me and a few friends go digging sometimes and after we grab a bite and talk about music and what not....let me know what's up.

#7 jax green

jax green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

I really loved the NYC "skits".. the way you put those sounds together was beautiful....I really thought you had something going there, but like the other guy mentioned about drum selection.. I feel the same way. At first I thought you were going to come with some really sloppy (in a good way) drums that had a real grittiness to them to go with the grittiness of the NY Landscape... I still kind of want to hear how it would sound with that... but yeah... overall great tape, just try to get better drums... I hate digital age drum sounds...they're just too crisp for my ears.. it makes them sound cheesy.

next project i'd love to see you implement that.

and if you're living out in Brooklyn i'd love to try to get people together...me and a few friends go digging sometimes and after we grab a bite and talk about music and what not....let me know what's up.

Everyone has their own taste. And everyone has their own phase their going through -- right now, these are the drums I like working with, but last year I only would use dirty breaks (on this project).

But I appreciate the feedback and compliments! Thanks for listening. Def down to go digging.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flyrt reynolds, gemz, record release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users