229 replies to this topic

#211 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

anyone else noticed the similarities between the scene of the dead kid hanging out the car at the end flylo's Never Catch Me video and Kendrick in the "i" video a month later?

#212 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

anyone else noticed the similarities between the scene of the dead kid hanging out the car at the end flylo's Never Catch Me video and Kendrick in the "i" video a month later?

i'm trying to find out who directed "i", but it could possibly be the same dude who did "Never Catch Me", Hiro Murai...

#213 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

i'm trying to find out who directed "i", but it could possibly be the same dude who did "Never Catch Me", Hiro Murai...

http://www.vibe.com/...-i-music-video/

Alexander Moore.

That being said, I blame Wes Anderson for a lot of the editing choices that go on in today's video world. Nothing against it, I just get a weird feeling knowing how the 2010s are gonna be viewed through this, high-saturation HD lens like the 80s and their Purple Rain and laughed at by our kids

• GC90 and felixherandez like this

#214 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:48 AM

#215 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

Live foruming TBAP

First 4 tracks P-Funk chorus ish, accesible free jazz that might get highschoolers interested in George Benson

institutionalized
First feature, Snoop doing a Slick Rick story telling, mixing in with the People Under The Stairs/Jurassic 5 back and forth but over a smooth midwest beat

These Walls
Prince obviously. Grover Washington Jr sax fades out. Back to the acapella to end. Cyclical, finnegan's wake.

u
Maybe some Weather Report. Sounds like Soul Coughing El Oso.

Alright
Choppy MPC choir, drum fill into the late 2000s club bounce. Lil' Jamaican fake patois. E40, 1990s gangster. Hook sounds like somethign Rhianna would sing straight up. "Be alllllright".

For Sale

I see how this is supposedly "De La Soul" daisy age

Momma

What pisses me off is I just used the sample knx used like 3 years ago.

Hood

Wanted to skip with the boo boo lines. More forced vocal stabs. George Clinton adding (somewhat excessive at this point) coherency. Yeah yeah yeah rebloodlicans or w/e. This song was easy. I could give a fuck about his resentment turning to depression at this point.

How Much

Favorite so far. Still kinda just sub par dilla beats though with the same eminem/kendrick flow over and over

thoughts: "do black people listen to this, or is it just 9th wonder do-a-lecture-at-Duke types?" "This is white people music," "This is burgoise, and pretentious"

Complexion"it all feels the same" couldn't have said it better. Common/Dumbed down You're Dead. Accessible Flying Lotus. Adding in worthless scratches for bs street cred. That 12 years a slave line won't stand up. (Probably will because of flat brimmed types putting it over). People want to call him a genius because he helped produce/engineer the album, yeah I can tell because every other song uses the same "experimental" tricks that are supposed to get him immediate likes. Acapella intro/outros. Triplet Kick drums on the 1 and 3

Blacker The Berry trying to get that 2pac money. Third time I've heard the monkey comparison, that shit's whack

You Ain't, Fugazi reference for the white kids. Man he's just the best

i

"I've been dealing with depression ever since an adolescence". Thanks, 13 year old emo Kendrick writing his first line of poetry, next comes "patiently waiting" and maybe a poem about street lights. Even more acapella ending outro. Thanks for bringing me to the beatnik poetry slam through your album, even though I tried my best to avoid those pretentious motherfuckers

Mortal Man,

Fuck, those RnB harmonies immediately upset me. Now I have to listen to 12 minutes of this. "The Ghost of Mandella" fuck me. "When shit hit the fan is you still a fan" Fucking god dammit. Beat's fine. Over produced. What the fuck are they talking about the only hope they have is music, Obama's president. I'm very upset with people acting like Ferguson is on par with the lynchings of the 1960s. If we didn't Nat Turner revolt in the 60s, we won't in 2035 when motherfuckers are instagraming and shit. Come on. Now everyone wearing a flat brim cap is going 'yeah i'm a catepillar in this city full of white motherfuckers, I'm so hard'? C'mahn. Malcolm X and MLK already had this peace vs violent discussion. It's honestly like nobody listened to them

Everything I expected of this album has been validated. In my opinion, this isn't as good as Fantastic Vol 2, or Voodoo, or Low End Theory. Obviously better than most of the underground 2000s stuff I like (PUTS, J5, MF DOOM's non-Monumental albums). It's above Muddy Waters and probably on par with Reasonable Doubt or (if you reallllllly push me) Illmatic. 36 Chambers. Probably better than Doomsday, not better than Madvillain.

#216 felixherandez

felixherandez

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

Well that was a real cynical way to look at the album...

• GC90 likes this

#217 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

oh it was a lot worse haha

so it goes

#218 bamajoe

bamajoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

ok

#219 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Black Coffee
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/edtheyounger

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

I don't get why EVERYTHING these days has to be comparative to previous works... Can't shit just stand for itself anymore. It gripes me when people say jonwayne sounds like doom or Freddie Gibbs is tupac re-born or every second beat maker sounds like dilla... If you're making hip hop and you aren't influenced by any of those people in some form or another as a prerequisite then I dunno what the fuck kind of hip hop you're making but probably shit I don't want to hear. If you're listening to an album and the whole time thinking 'x sounds like y, but I prefer y to x' then I'm sorry but you're not listening to the album...

Edit: and there's a clear cut difference between biting and just kind of sounding similar or drawing inspiration. If something isn't CLEAR cut biting then saying it's reminiscent of x-y-z is irrelevant. Hip hop is reminiscent of hip hop. Done.

#220 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

"i don't get why everything has to be comparative"

because that's what the artists themselves do! There's some huge star guy named Chet Faker! Keaver and Brause. Even the name Jonwayne. It's the bullshit ironic society we live in. Exactly what I don't like about our culture, and the album! er.

if anything jonwayne sounds like biggie, but that's beside the point

I wasn't going in trying to pick it apart like that, those are things that jumped out at me. Because that's what the zeitgeist is. And it sucks. It doesn't sound like anything new, it tries to build this world out of throwbacks, it's content aggregation, under the guise of intelligent artistry. Like reddit throwback WWI posters advertising travel  to Mars or whatever.

The second track in is a Last Poets cover/throwback and the thing's covered in George Clinton funk throwback so blame kendrick not me, it's what he was going for.

#221 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

idk, i thought his first verse on "Momma" was handled in a pretty creative way, at least flow-wise...i know for a fact that i haven't heard very many rappers try flowing around the beat, cause that's a risky maneuver.  to me, that's the kind of shit that felt "new" on the album -- that's how KL was able to bring in his influences without relying on them completely to invoke peoples' nostalgia.  but i mean, obviously nothing under the sun is new and you know that GPB.

Madlib and Dilla had throwbacks all the time in their work; in fact, that's almost the main factor tying their discogs together.  just like whoever your favorite visual artists happen to be got their influences from somewhere...so i don't understand the criticism about those aspects of the album.

#222 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:27 PM

mmm rapping around the beat is a good one, that's some Picasso shit I'll give him that.

My favorite rapper is Mykah 9 who dropped 7th Seal back in 91, the goodlife cafe. I consider their flows to be more artistic, and they were from South Central. I wouldn't be surprised if Kendrick was influenced by some of those guys.

It wasn't so much a criticism as an observation, but if I were to make a criticism, it would be that (let's take Madlib for an example) he does "C'mon Feet" which brings Melvin Van Peebles in with this back and forth insanity. That ish was dope. Now imagine if every madlib song he used the same tactic, going back and forth with the sample. That would get old fast. That's how I felt about this album, like the same tricks kept getting used, which indeed made a very solid and coherent album. But I just found it too formulaic. No small task to find your own Pete Rock/Premier formula for making hits, but I think he can go a step further and have each song be its own flavor which I feel Voodoo was or maybe even a 3 Feet High

That's why I put it with Illmatic, Nas had that Illmatic formula. One Love is the prison song, halftime's the sporty anthem, it ain't hard to tell is the "hood bottle popping". But they're all just Nas Queensbridge flow over dope beats. TBAP, I feel is like that, Kendrick's 2000s Eminemy flow over Experimental beats, you got the straight dumb "king kunta" then you get the different levels of flow

• The Jackal and jbuzz like this

#223 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:32 AM

Truth

#224 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/the-jackals_url

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

I really enjoy the new album, but it bothers me that this is considered to be on the cutting edge of hip hop. I hate the statement "Everything's influenced by something else."

As soon as you say that it's like you're saying 'there's a limit that we've already reached, everything's already been done, so why try and go forward?'

I'm glad the world has Kendrick Lamar. What I'm not happy about is how little TPAB pushes the boundaries yet it's considered to be so monumental. I'm not happy about the lack of all the other hip hop artists out there pushing the boundaries in different ways. There's like a handful of hip hop artists out there doing something different. We all look up to those artists, but why can't there be way more artists than that? 

This is 2015. It's easier than ever before to make music at home and market it yourself. You don't have to get signed to get your music to millions of people anymore. So what's the hold up? 

I feel like Hip Hop needs it's Andy Warhol equivalent. Someone who starts pushing the art form in interesting and unexpected directions. Shit I don't know, maybe that's the worst example ever. But I love how unique 3 Feet High and Rising sounds, it reminds me of Velvet Underground and how different that was at the time. But then De La Soul evolved. Which is not a bad thing, but I feel like there's a lot missing from this genre. And I feel like there's poor excuses for it.

TPAB is great, but it's not enough. It's not unique enough to inspire other young MCs on the come up to do something different. It's not great enough to turn the genre around or in a new direction. If anything it teaches young kids to emulate their favorite rappers and albums. A pinch of Xs flow here, a pinch of socially conscious reiterations there, a couple of clever punchlines sprinkled in, and voila! another 'monumental' hip hop album is born. 

I feel like if this was any other decade TPAB would be top 10 album of the year material at best. But in 2015 it's practically hip hop album of the year. Artists need to continually try and raise the bar. Without competition everyone's just complacent. That's how I feel about hip hop now. It's complacent. It's not moving forward.

TPAB deserves it's recognition, and sonically I think TPAB is really special. But the absence of other truly great works in this genre is making the whole genre feel increasingly one dimensional. And so an album like this, to me, sounds nice, but is a modest achievement. 

• James Frank. likes this

#225 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

My favorite rapper is Mykah 9 who dropped 7th Seal back in 91, the goodlife cafe. I consider their flows to be more artistic, and they were from South Central. I wouldn't be surprised if Kendrick was influenced by some of those guys.

any recommended tracks?

#226 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

Bruh. Freestyle fellowship. To whom it may concern & inner city griots. Hardcore foundation of LA rap shit, both albums can't be missed imo

#227 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwtkXne9hno

Mykah 9, Aceyalone, P.E.A.CE outside the goodlife

#228 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Surprised Mykah hasn't been mentioned here more to be honest.

#229 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 PM

i've read the name Aceyalone before, but i have no idea what any of this stuff is so i guess i should check it out.

#230 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

lol this thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users