• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#151 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted Yesterday, 04:15 PM

not sure, but he/she/they aren't like a popular group by any means.

it's literally as if we all just saw like Shuffle Jack or Linkrust pop-up on a major release...

which is pretty fucking crazy when you think about it.

#152 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM

My impression of Jackal:  "I'm not a big fan of something so I'm going to go onto message boards and talk about it more than anyone else, especially the big fans"

Really though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not sure why people pay so much close attention to things that they don't really like.  Only Kendrick Lamar track I know well is Never Catch Me, didn't like anything I heard on Section 80 or GKMC, therefore I pretty much ignore the Kendrick Lamar thread.

LMAO this thread though.. 

I get where you're coming from, but if you're not interested in Kendrick at all then why did you come into this thread then??

Also, why is it off limits having an in depth discussion about music? Isn't the point of a message board to discuss music? Are we only allowed to express our opinions if we're on the exact same page as everybody else?

Also, as I've said before I DO like Kendrick. It's not like I'm just here to shit on everybody's opinions of him. Other people think GKMC is great, and I really don't understand why. Hence why I asked... I do come here to learn, as well as to teach. I want to know what other people think, and I want to express myself.

I also didn't pay much attention to GKMC till a bunch of hip hop heads started saying shit like "It's this generations Aquemini" and "It's one of the best hip hop albums of the decade. Kendrick is the best rapper out there now" 

And this being mostly a forum of fellow hip hop heads and music enthusiasts, I didn't think it was ridiculous to question an albums status.

I thought members of this forum were more mature than that. Instead I was dismissed as a hater and repeatedly blown off by multiple members... I must not be as upset as the people who are basically telling me to fuck off. But I am frustrated. When I found this forum I thought I had found a good home to discuss music/art/film with other similarly minded enthusiasts. 

I've had a lot of great discussions in the film thread. I've had great discussions in a few other threads... I didn't think this thread would be any different. Boy was I wrong. 

I remember when Nate Jackson Kills Niggas started a thread about how MF DOOM was overrated. Did I jump down his throat and call him a hater? No. I, along with several other members of this message board, RESPECTFULLY gave varying IN DEPTH reasons as to why we thought he WASN'T overrated.

Why is everyone getting so sensitive about Kendrick? It's as if I've kicked a hornets nest. And oddly enough I still haven't been given any real good reason as to why the album is worth it's merits. Yet if you go over to that DOOM thread you'll see lots of varying great reasons as to why DOOM deserves all of the respect he receives.. Similarly if anyone challenged any of my favorite albums I'd gladly  have a discussion with them. I'd find it fun! But for some reason people don't have fun having discussions here unless their opinions are being reaffirmed for some reason. It's just weird to me is all.

It's as if these forums are populated by Kendrick Lamar's friends and family and they're all butt hurt that I have the gall to dare criticize such an unquestionable masterpiece lololol. 

Anyway, again, if someone wants to have a respectful/peaceful/intelligent discussion I'm all for it. And what's wrong with that? So far people have basically told me to keep my opinions to myself, twisted my words, been very disrespectful, and called me a hater lol

#153 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 PM

http://www.hotnewhip...news.14554.html

bummer...

• felixherandez and jbuzz like this

#154 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted Yesterday, 08:26 PM

You're one of those guys that talks for 15 minutes about a glass of wine or beer and when you're finally finished and ask what someone else thinks, they respond "well I think it tastes good." Then you go on again.

It's not the worst thing in the world, it's just annoying.

#155 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 PM

2003...damn.

#156 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

this thread,

guys love the album

dudes come in saying they liked it but want to understand why it gets high-praise

guys who love the album call those guys haters

haters try to explain themselves with paragraphs and shit

guys who love album call them nerds, and haters

• The Jackal likes this

#157 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted Today, 12:13 AM

you just a hatin ass nerd!

Ok but in reality tho what is somebody supposed to say here. I think the beats are dope, another dude says "nah, I disagree" and the onus is on me to keep convincing him? Shit. He just be a hater. As in; he dislikes something that others seem to like quite a lot. That's what hating is!!! It's not some mark of shame.
  • GPBear likes this

#158 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted Today, 05:21 AM

i haven't used the term "hater" once in this thread, but holy fuck -- a more accurate word would be "babies".

i tried having an intelligent, earnest discussion two pages ago...remember those?

the posts that Jackal broke down, painstakingly i may add, into small chunks of words so that he could chastise like seven things at once?  i explained my reasoning, and got dismissed on literally every single point -- so it's done, there is no argument; nobody gives a shit because each side already had their say.  instead of re-hashing the same arguments again and again, why not just leave this topic of discussion and make an "i hate Kendrick Lamar" thread if you're burning so hard for him.

#159 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted Today, 05:24 AM

well damn.....

album is dope!!!!!!

• Grifty-Rodriguez and felixherandez like this

#160 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted Today, 05:37 AM

^I'm confused, are you on board with illmatic or not?

A few posts ago I was almost gonna type "IMO Kendrick is the best rapper since illmatic" but I stopped because I figured it would ruffle the feathers of the corny ass "underground only" MFers on here who probably think immortal technique is the greatest rapper of all time.

JF, dope. Is whoarei a bay area cat??!

Yes, I love Illmatic.  I was saying when Illmatic dropped and they saw those 5 Mics in the source, a lot of people called bullshit.  Saying something is classic out the gate is something you can almost never predict.  They were right about it in the long run, but a lot of times people have said something was an "instant classic" and 2 weeks later when something else came along, BOOM cats dropping it. Like I said, time will tell.

• The Jackal likes this

#161 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted Today, 05:48 AM

the posts that Jackal broke down, painstakingly i may add, into small chunks of words so that he could chastise like seven things at once?  i explained my reasoning, and got dismissed on literally every single point -- so it's done, there is no argument; nobody gives a shit because each side already had their say.  instead of re-hashing the same arguments again and again, why not just leave this topic of discussion and make an "i hate Kendrick Lamar" thread if you're burning so hard for him.

Lol, you're the most butt hurt here. I never said I didn't like Kendrick. I don't think anyone said they hated him. Now you're telling people to go make a "I hate Kendrick" Thread lmao... It's like you're banishing us from the thread because we're not worthy to be here blaspheming your rap savior...

Your first post in response to me seemed like you were up for an intelligent debate. Hence why I liked it. The next several posts from you just got more and more offensive, hence why I broke down your posts... You called GPBear a Hipster for expressing his opinions. It's not quite calling him a hater, but an intended insult nonetheless.

• GPBear likes this

#162 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted Today, 05:52 AM

:rolleyes:

fucking grow up

#163 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted Today, 06:01 AM

Me? Seriously?? I'm the one who calls people names for expressing their opinions?  :rolleyes:

#164 DavidisBaas

DavidisBaas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/yung-beyonce

Posted Today, 07:05 AM

i also want to say something about them drums on blacker the berry.

just nobody don't use impeach anymore. it's enough.

• James Frank. and GPBear like this

#165 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted Today, 09:18 AM

I get where you're coming from, but if you're not interested in Kendrick at all then why did you come into this thread then??

Because FLyLo produced a track on the new joint and I'm on FLyLo's nuts, wanted to see what peeps were saying.  All love though, not trying to attack you, just thought found it interesting that you seem heavily into expressing your opinion of the album being mediocre instead of focusing time on things you love and trying to spread them.

• The Jackal and GPBear like this

#166 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted Today, 12:14 PM

BITCH!

How the fuck are you gonna sit there and say you wanted an intelligent discussion when you got on my balls for being a librarian.

You obviously just had some shit you wanted to say to me and you used poor kendrick lamar to vent James

you go on about how much you like something, then I say I don't really like it, you call me stupid for not liking it, then when jackal or me say something back it's "Well I don't know why you're like this, I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation let's just move on"

acting liking an ex-gf

• The Jackal likes this

#167 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted Today, 01:05 PM

ya lookin' like an easy come up ya bish

#168 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted Today, 03:07 PM

Because FLyLo produced a track on the new joint and I'm on FLyLo's nuts, wanted to see what peeps were saying.  All love though, not trying to attack you, just thought found it interesting that you seem heavily into expressing your opinion of the album being mediocre instead of focusing time on things you love and trying to spread them.

This is so true, and I totally understand this philosophy. To me though, I just love art/music in general. And I enjoy discussing it and all it's facets/flaws/virtues. To me Kendrick Lamar's validity as best hip hop artist out is a subject ripe for debate. And the status of his GKMC album is equally ripe for debate to me. Just thought it'd be a fun and interesting convo. To be honest, If I had known it would have turned into this I never would have typed anything lol

#169 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted Today, 03:38 PM

"I promise I'm having an intelligent discussion, but nobody else is" – everyone.

tumblr_miyoeeC0mL1s3x41po1_500.gif

#170 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted Today, 03:58 PM

I actually am pretty sure that I like good kid more than this record-the beats are better

#171 jbuzz

jbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted Today, 04:35 PM

I actually am pretty sure that I like good kid more than this record-the beats are better

I guess we can agree to disagree. There's just something about trap and the 808/hi hat influence that I just can't dig. I can count on both hands the amount of songs/artists that follow that format that I like. I definitely prefer the analogue sound in hip hop, but each to their own. I won't argue when somebody tells me that trap goes harder than most boom-bap and old school hip hop in the clubs, because they're right.

#172 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted Today, 04:40 PM

So what you hate 808s then?

#173 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted Today, 05:20 PM

GPB, my opinions were dismissed by both of you guys just as much -- stop stirring the pot and playing the victim...

#174 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted Today, 05:56 PM

I just don't get what you mean by the "analog sound". It doesn't get more analog than an 808

#175 The Jackal

The Jackal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted Today, 05:58 PM

It wasn't simply a matter of dismissing points. You also started getting disrespectful, pompous, twisting words, and called people names... Also how did I dismiss your points exactly? I admitted that the album was adequate, even above average... I just said that it was overrated, and then listed my reasons for thinking so. And instead of directly addressing my points you had to twist my words and attack your projected meaning of my words instead. It doesn't get that much more debate stifling than that...

I just don't get what you mean by the "analog sound". It doesn't get more analog than an 808

I think he means natural drum sounds. As in the sounds of an actual drum set as opposed to the 808 which is a computerized drum sound played from a drum machine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users