http://vinylmeplease...d-of-the-month/

#2 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Cool design!

I'd imagine it's starting to be quite rough for the wallets of whoever have decided to collect all versions. Would be some real dedication.

Hoping The Diary gets released this year.

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#3 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

but why not the original LP cover?

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Dilla's legacy is slowly becoming the Star Wars: Special Edition Box Set of hip-hop collections.

• OfficeTime8889, Goodz047, GC90 and 3 others like this

#5 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

The print looks cool. Digging the labels as well. I don't get why VMP wouldn't have made this the February release seeing all the history attached to the month and the record. This mostly had me wondering what the 10th anniversary edition is going to look like when it drops 12 months from now. I can't hate on all the represses because it keeps the album available at decent prices to whole new generations of listeners. As a kid I collected The Tick comics but I only had access to them because the publisher was essentially repressing the whole 12 issue series every other year.
  • GC90 likes this

#6 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

I don't get why VMP wouldn't have made this the February release seeing all the history attached to the month and the record.

This was the original plan.  I believe the change might have had something to do with the realities of pressing vinyl.  With the major labels back in the vinyl game it's added a month to our average pressing time.

Dilla's legacy is slowly becoming the Star Wars: Special Edition Box Set of hip-hop collections.

I can't speak on all Dilla box set stuff, but Donuts will be continued to be in print and reissued – in good taste – for as long as people continue loving this music, hopefully long enough to outlive all of us. That's not a bad thing for an artist's legacy, it's a part of a legacy.

I wrote about this on the board a couple years back when Mr Gerbick asked "Why another Donuts version?"

• SunnyMeadowz, Grifty-Rodriguez, OfficeTime8889 and 3 others like this

#7 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

This was the original plan.  I believe the change might have had something to do with the realities of pressing vinyl.  With the major labels back in the vinyl game it's added a month to our average pressing time.

Damn you Record Store Day!! That makes sense though; thanks for the insight.

Edit:

but why not the original LP cover?

Maybe as an extra little incentive for all us with the OGs to cop? Just a guess. 

#8 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

I don't have it on vinyl but don't think I'll pick up this one, I'll wait for the next one... or the one after that... or...

• DJ Projexion likes this

#9 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

i'm just glad ST is sticking to its guns and not overstepping its boundaries (ahem, Rebirth of Detroit)...

but yeah, i mean didn't the Donuts 45's come out fairly recently?

#10 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

i'm just glad ST is sticking to its guns and not overstepping its boundaries (ahem, Rebirth of Detroit)...

but yeah, i mean didn't the Donuts 45's come out fairly recently?

See, I have the opposite reaction. Apparently Dilla did nothing but stay in the basement and make beats, so where's all the posthumous releases? House Shoes says he went into the vaults and could only pull out 20 viable beats. But a dude of Dilla's caliber who did nothing but make beats could easily make 500 beats in a year, so how could he have only come up with 20? Where's the jazz and electronic albums Madlib was talking about. I guess it's cuz his estate got fucked up because of politics and money-grubbing vultures like the dude behind that Rebirth of Detroit album. It's sad. They should have done like Frank Zappa and had the family exert total control. Barring that, ST should be in charge of the vault. I'm sure they would handle it right.

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Deacon Schmooze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

if there's one release i'd love to see come out at some point, it'd be Pizza Man.

• OfficeTime8889 likes this

#12 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

I can't speak on all Dilla box set stuff, but Donuts will be continued to be in print and reissued – in good taste – for as long as people continue loving this music, hopefully long enough to outlive all of us. That's not a bad thing for an artist's legacy, it's a part of a legacy.

I wrote about this on the board a couple years back when Mr Gerbick asked "Why another Donuts version?"

Oh damn, did you remember my name or did you look it up?!

Like I said in that topic: please, please, please post more oftenly! Or better yet write a Behind The Stones Throw Scenes. Like a liner notes book about all the ST stuff we have no idea going on.

Seriously, we need that! If a book isn't profitable,  can't you write weekly blogs or something?

#13 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:música
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

All these re-releasaes and re-designes are strictly for the new fans...we know better.  I'm proud to say I can't remember the last Dilla record I bought.  The only entity I trust with any posthumous Dilla record is ST.  We've already seen virtually everyone in his inner circle botch his legacy...with the exception of, ironically enough, maybe House Shoes.  All this Dilla Day, Dilla Weekend, Dilla Month, Dilla Tribute noise is poison as far as I'm concerned.  

...eh, maybe not poison.  Ultimately, it's taken a course I'm not really with, that's all.  

#14 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:25 AM

All these re-releasaes and re-designes are strictly for the new fans...we know better.  I'm proud to say I can't remember the last Dilla record I bought.  The only entity I trust with any posthumous Dilla record is ST.  We've already seen virtually everyone in his inner circle botch his legacy...with the exception of, ironically enough, maybe House Shoes.  All this Dilla Day, Dilla Weekend, Dilla Month, Dilla Tribute noise is poison as far as I'm concerned.  

...eh, maybe not poison.  Ultimately, it's taken a course I'm not really with, that's all.  

Yeah, the last Dilla record I bought was Jay Stay Paid. To be honest all the releases after that are a bit confusing and so many left-overs, random b-sides, beat scraps and what not.

I really lost over sight on what's real and what isn't.

#15 scojo

scojo

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

JJ (or someone else from ST) - Can you let us know if this is the same mastering as the older releases, or was the album remastered? Same stampers or new ones? 

#16 PsychedelicGod

PsychedelicGod

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 05:14 PM

if there's one release i'd love to see come out at some point, it'd be Pizza Man.

Wolf said he ain't deliverin pizza... Only 24 hour donut shops.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users