• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anttheknee999

Anttheknee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

HI I'm looking at a bunch of prices and i found a really really cheap sp 202 but i was wondering if I should try and wait for the 404 and see if my parents will buy it Im 13 so can't get money as easy thanks

Or is there another cheap alternative sampler that is just as good or better

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:00 AM

There is a lot more capability with the 404 but if you want to start making beats ASAP then get the 202 and learn with that then a little while down the road you can try to pick up something else. I use a 303, a 404, and an MPC 2000 as part of my arsenal but it's taken over a decade to acquire all of that.

#3 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

Uh oh !, face it, if you want one sp your going to have to get them all, none of them sound the same, 202 is basically a sound destruction unit. If I was to go it again, I'd get a 555, a 404sx then 303, there is the zoom sampletrak as well, another dirty little, box.

If you need to pull the swerve ball on mum and dad, show them it's an investment, you got your future worked out !, show them the increase of price second hand they'll give you props especially the 303, offer to work it off in the house for them, wash the car, hoover, get them off balance and hopefully they will sway, if you want to make beats bad enough, something will turn up.

Have you thought of getting your beat off of the sp, mixing them, or sampling to the sp, some are easier than others with memory cards. Some more food for thought, you don't want to end up in situation where your stuck before you start.

My workflow personally is speed and kind of laziness. I'll sample through the sampletrak, sp 1200, and akai s950, and build folders of kicks snares loops etc, then when I open maschine, all of it is there, and I still have that sound, the advantage is I can layer sp 1200 samples with 950 samples. You got to think long term and easy, you can end up wasting money on something that might not be how you like to work creatively.   

#4 GPBear

GPBear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

I don't even know if they make 202s anymore, so if it ever breaks and you try to get it repaired, good luck

404 because you can do shows

#5 Anttheknee999

Anttheknee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

I don't even know if they make 202s anymore, so if it ever breaks and you try to get it repaired, good luck

404 because you can do shows

Uh oh !, face it, if you want one sp your going to have to get them all, none of them sound the same, 202 is basically a sound destruction unit. If I was to go it again, I'd get a 555, a 404sx then 303, there is the zoom sampletrak as well, another dirty little, box.

If you need to pull the swerve ball on mum and dad, show them it's an investment, you got your future worked out !, show them the increase of price second hand they'll give you props especially the 303, offer to work it off in the house for them, wash the car, hoover, get them off balance and hopefully they will sway, if you want to make beats bad enough, something will turn up.

Have you thought of getting your beat off of the sp, mixing them, or sampling to the sp, some are easier than others with memory cards. Some more food for thought, you don't want to end up in situation where your stuck before you start.

My workflow personally is speed and kind of laziness. I'll sample through the sampletrak, sp 1200, and akai s950, and build folders of kicks snares loops etc, then when I open maschine, all of it is there, and I still have that sound, the advantage is I can layer sp 1200 samples with 950 samples. You got to think long term and easy, you can end up wasting money on something that might not be how you like to work creatively.   

There is a lot more capability with the 404 but if you want to start making beats ASAP then get the 202 and learn with that then a little while down the road you can try to pick up something else. I use a 303, a 404, and an MPC 2000 as part of my arsenal but it's taken over a decade to acquire all of that.

Alright thanks

#6 Low Hiss

Low Hiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Wax (both meanings^^), Vintage samplers, Good music
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/low-hiss

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:26 AM

Should add that making full beats on the 202 is gonna be hard given it has no resampling and no sequencer, you'd basically have to either use only 1 effect and bang your whole beat live into your DAW or use a DAW as a multitrack and bang your separate tracks live, either way it's a hassle.

If it's gonna be your only machine for some time then wait for the 404 or get a 303.

As far as other machines in the same (roughly) price range, you could look at the MPC 500, very different workflows though.

#7 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,527 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

HI I'm looking at a bunch of prices and i found a really really cheap sp 202 but i was wondering if I should try and wait for the 404 and see if my parents will buy it Im 13 so can't get money as easy thanks

Or is there another cheap alternative sampler that is just as good or better

thought about going the software route or do you have your heart set on using hardware? it'l be cheaper (poss free if you get a cracked copy) B)

#8 Anttheknee999

Anttheknee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

i

#9 Anttheknee999

Anttheknee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

thought about going the software route or do you have your heart set on using hardware? it'l be cheaper (poss free if you get a cracked copy) B)

I have just been recording the drum patterns on this dj app that sucks and putting samples over it with Logic pro

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,527 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

what about getting maschine mikro or something? up until i got maschine id used an mpc for 15 years it pretty much sits in the corner of the room gathering dust nowdays

#11 1stN3rd

1stN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/1stn3rd

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Should add that making full beats on the 202 is gonna be hard given it has no resampling and no sequencer, you'd basically have to either use only 1 effect and bang your whole beat live into your DAW or use a DAW as a multitrack and bang your separate tracks live, either way it's a hassle.

The latter part is what I do and trust me, it is a hassle. Need to get that 404.

• Low Hiss likes this

#12 Datura

Datura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

$_57.JPG

#13 Freddy Bracker

Freddy Bracker

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/freddy-bracker

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 AM

Sp202 is fun , at a low price , if you got extra tools ... Just got one this week, very cheap together with a Dr.202 drum/basscomputer.

Internal memory on the sp202 is also very low + the memory cards used in it are very hard to find (cost about 30-40$ shipping excluded for 2 or 4MB !! ) 

Its indeed a kind of 'destruction-module', very lo-fi-ish

my two cents:

Good to learn the basics I guess and to add to another SP (or add another SP later .. ;) )

if its really REALLY cheap, and in good condition, Id get it .. once you get it you will start saving immediately for another one, keep an eye open on ebay and 2ndhand/pawnshopsites, every day.

If this is your first hardware sampler you're buying, and its really cheap  .. I think you'll definitely have a more than equal share of fun compared to the price you're paying !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users