#1 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted Today, 02:49 PM

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't indulge in this highly monetized "holiday". 

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 02:51 PM

I don't consider myself an atheist because that's a Greco-Roman word to describe a person who is against organized religion ... I don't subscribe to nothing but knowledge of self.

#3 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 02:53 PM

I'm sure that this thread is going to rub a lot of cats the wrong way, but that's why there's this thing called a "forum" ... where topics like this get discussed and debated.

#4 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted Today, 02:54 PM

I don't blink anymore when it comes around. Cartoons about it are love , though.

Giving presents should be done anonymously.

#5 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 02:56 PM

Christmas is more for the kids ... but the parents should not teach them that some dude in a red suit breaks into they house and places random boxes under a bush

#6 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 02:57 PM

Christmas is ACTUALLY the celebration of a Roman "deity" ... I'll get into how Roman and Greek deities were stolen from Africa later on.  Let's start with this:

Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn, held on the 17th of December of the Julian calendar and later expanded with festivities through to the 23rd of December. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn, in the Roman Forum, and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves.[1] The poet Catullus called it "the best of days."[2]

In Roman mythology, Saturn was an agricultural deity who was said to have reigned over the world in the Golden Age, when humans enjoyed the spontaneous bounty of the earth without labor in a state of social egalitarianism. The revelries of Saturnalia were supposed to reflect the conditions of the lost mythical age, not all of them desirable. The Greek equivalent was the Kronia.[3]

Although probably the best-known Roman holiday, Saturnalia as a whole is not described from beginning to end in any single ancient source. Modern understanding of the festival is pieced together from several accounts dealing with various aspects.[4] The Saturnalia was the dramatic setting of the multivolume work of that name by Macrobius, a Latin writer from late antiquity who is the major source for information about the holiday. In one of the interpretations in Macrobius's work, Saturnalia is a festival of light leading to the winter solstice, with the abundant presence of candles symbolizing the quest for knowledge and truth.[5] The renewal of light and the coming of the new year was celebrated in the later Roman Empire at the Dies Natalis of Sol Invictus, the "Birthday of the Unconquerable Sun," on December 25.[6]

The popularity of Saturnalia continued into the third and fourth centuries AD, and as the Roman Empire came under Christian rule, some of its customs have influenced the seasonal celebrations surrounding Christmas and the New Year.[7]

#7 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 02:59 PM

An author by the name of George G. M. James (R.I.P.) wrote a book called "Stolen Legacy".  It outlines in detail how the Greek/Roman culture was stolen from Kemet.  I own this book, and find it very insightful when it comes to learning about where religion (and the entire "mystery system") comes from.

#8 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 03:00 PM

But let's discuss the commercialization of a day that has absolutely nothing to do with religion.  Who cares to start?

#9 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted Today, 03:21 PM

I think you're salty because you're confusing "stealing" with assimilation. In ancient times when cultures crossed paths for the first time it was very common for them to borrow ideas and believes and assimilate them into their own existing culture. But that's besides your commercialization point.

Yes Christmas is commercial as fuck but so is everything else. You just said saturnalia was a holiday where people exchanged gifts. In our modern world of Walmarts and toys-r-us and amazons and Ebays its natural that Christmas is now about buying as much stupid cheap shit for your family and friends as you can. But thats because it really does feel good to give someone you love a gift, it's not all about receiving and reciprocating ("i bought that motherfucker something nice last year he better give me something good this year").

I'm going to ASSUME here that Christmas was never that big or existent at all in your family. Most people enjoy Christmas because it's a family thing. It's much more about getting closer to your family than getting closer to God or Jesus. Which is probably more worthwhile right? Family traditions and great memories are made, it's just a happy positive time.

#10 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted Today, 03:27 PM

But shouldn't the idea of spending time with family and giving gifts be an everyday tradition rather than an annual gathering that's heavily indoctrinated with religion?  I give all year.  ALL YEAR.  So the same festive feelings that people are feeling right now ... all up in the spirit of giving, stuffing socks stapled to mantles, I do all year round.  No holiday needed to be a genuine good person.

#11 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted Today, 03:35 PM

Yes the saturnaliast got together and buttfucked-yes the barbaric western Romans would praise their slaves and lead to a movie called trading places. But the info you cite is negligently written as well.

The gift giving custom was really a Christian thing going back to 300ad. It was to be done on the new year but the cracker Dutch and swedes fucked all that up when they were taking shits and pisses all over the native Americans in the great northeast. They introduced sinter Claus to denigrate the Christian religion and it's miracle workers and Later coca cola got involved because well they are Hebrews hiding in Atlanta post slave trade.

I love macgruder but his interpolation of peanuts sucks bad.

#12 Constrobuz

Constrobuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted Today, 03:40 PM

Youre not the only one like that lol its not like people who celebrate Christmas are assholes January-November, they're regular people who love their family and spend time with them and give them gifts for the hell of it. It's just taken to another level on Christmas. And For a lot people Christmas isn't just one day out of the year, people start preparing for that shit in November and Then the entire month of December is all about Christmas.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Constrobuz, orchidthegreat