No replies to this topic

#1 kombucha

kombucha

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted Today, 07:28 AM

Hey now,

It's splurging season and I'm ready to invest in some headphones for those long, coveted vinyl listening sessions, but I'm completely overwhelmed by the choices out there. I know I can trust yall here in the STMB to point me in the right direction because, like yall, the bulk of my vinyl collection consists of Stones Throw releases.

With that being said, I listen to A LOT of Dam-Funk, Yesterday's New Quintet, and most recently MNDSGN, so I'm looking for headphones with an emphasis on bass but nothing over-the-top or artificial sounding like Beats by Dre (yuck).

I do indulge in some rock music, mainly R. Stevie Moore, and other genres besides hip-hop, so it's not all about the bass I suppose. But it's a double-edged sword because when I put on records like 'Down 2 Earth Vol 2' or 'Rock Konducta,' I REALLY wanna hear that boom-bap and rich bass; somedays I crave it. I know you guys understand what I'm talkin' about.

My price range is $100 - $200, which unfortunately is a little low for "quality" headphones these days, but there's got to be something decent out there within that range.

I'd like to note that I am not a DJ, nor do I listen to music on my phone/ laptop often (if so, it's with ear buds), I simply love the wax and the prospective headphones will be for wax listening only. 

A typical listening scenario would be getting home from work, kicking back in a comfortable chair and getting lost in both sides of 'Angles Without Edges' OR I could last for all 5 Volumes of 'Toeachizown,' it all depends on the day. It's my way of unwinding. I like to listen to both sides of a record before sleep most nights, too.

Basically, I need something comfortable for those long listening sessions. I've dealt with crappy over ear Sony cans in the past from my iPod days and my ears would ache after 20-30 minutes of use, forcing me to remove them prematurely. My ears would remain sore for a while after use, and I'm trying to avoid that at all costs.

After various Google searches, two brands keep popping up: AIAIAI and Grados. 

Naturally, I'd love to cop AIAIAI's TMA-1 Stones Throw edition headphones (LOVE that purp color, and the leather pads seems comfy), but every review emphasizes that they are "FOR DJ's" and fail to mention if they are good for long hours or everyday listening.

From what I've read, I'm confident in the sound of the TMA-1's, but when I say "for everyday listening" I'm referring to the comfortability and the longevity.

There's been a lot of complaints about the headband snapping and the lack of padding on the band, but then there're others who claim it's not an issue.

Grado is another brand that often pops up in my searches and the SR80E model seems like a reasonably priced set of cans. THey allegedly "lack bass" and I don't know how I feel about the foam ear cups.

Basically, what do yall have / are there any alternatives to the AIAIAI and Grado models that I mentioned / do you have experience with either of those models? 

Thanks for reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users